Stadia - now "free" for a month or two
  • I reckon I'd have more luck watching ps3 install all the updates for little big planet than getting stadia to load at an acceptable resolution.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I was one of the nooks who pre-ordered. I cancelled.just in time.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Digital Foundry have a tech analysis:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-stadia-tech-review

Weirdly, the thing that most people here claimed was the insurmountable problem - lag - doesn’t really seem to be much of an issue with Stadia as it stands.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Wait till g tries it...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    He’s got a 14GB patch for Shenmue to install, he won’t be trying this for at least a year.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Wait till g tries it...

I heard 4od is awfully laggy on this, no one tell him

• For all the connection chat the biggest issue by far is the game selection.

No Fortnite, Apex Legends, Overwatch, GTAV, FIFA or Madden so that's your big audiences.
    RDR2 and Destiny ok, but are they cross play?

No big 2019 releases either, where are CoD, Jedi Fallen Order, Resi 2, Sekiro, The Division 2?

If it it doesnt really work away from a home console type setup what is the point? Most people interested will have a console and will almost certainly have played the big games available if they had any interest in them at all.
  • I'm guessing the issue is, there is no lag because there are curated games? They reasoned best to start small, get it right, and expand from there. Makes sense to me
  • Still not buying it
  • Yeah tbf I had heard MK11 was a bit more than a PC port and had been coded to accommodate lag.

I still think it is lacking heavily though.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Interesting - clever tech if lag anticipation actually works! You'd think that would generalise but maybe not?

The other issue with all this is how much the devs get, and whether you care about "renting" vs "owning", etc. Though yes I get that's what even downloaded games say in their Ts and C's.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    For all the connection chat the biggest issue by far is the game selection.

No Fortnite, Apex Legends, Overwatch, GTAV, FIFA or Madden so that's your big audiences.

No big 2019 releases either, where are CoD, Jedi Fallen Order, Resi 2, Sekiro, The Division 2?

If it it doesnt really work away from a home console type setup what is the point? Most people interested will have a console and will almost certainly have played the big games available if they had any interest in them at all.

In twelve months people are going to be asked to lay 500 pounds to play some games and google will be there with “how about: you don’t have to”.

Yeah it doesn’t work now so well but 5g will also be more mature as tech.

It’s probably necessary to launch now to iron out the kinks ready for Scarlett and PS5 and get a good library set up.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Digital Foundry have a tech analysis: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-stadia-tech-review Weirdly, the thing that most people here claimed was the insurmountable problem - lag - doesn’t really seem to be much of an issue with Stadia as it stands.

Pretty sure I know what my internet is like better than DF do.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • LivDiv wrote:
    For all the connection chat the biggest issue by far is the game selection.

In twelve months people are going to be asked to lay 500 pounds to play some games and google will be there with “how about: you don’t have to”.

Yeah it doesn’t work now so well but 5g will also be more mature as tech.

It’s probably necessary to launch now to iron out the kinks ready for Scarlett and PS5 and get a good library set up.

We know Microsoft is already testing streaming games to any device (successfully), whether that's from their servers or using your own box. And they also have gamepass.

I have to imagine Sony will offer something similar.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    As long as they don't stream to a fucking Switch
  • "The input lag is horrendous"

• dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Basically OnLive all over again. That's a shame.
    I still stand by the experience I had playing SotC on Vita, via PS Now.

It was playable, but then, I was often playing off peak, and it's not really a twitch game either.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Patrick Klepek made a really interesting point about how Cyberpunk might really sell this game. It’ll look the best on 4K Google’s computers compared to the consoles that will be out at the time. Coupled that with the low barrier for entry I think it will show the most compelling reason for Stadia.
  • Patrick Klepek made a really interesting point about how Cyberpunk might really sell this game. It’ll look the best on 4K Google’s computers compared to the consoles that will be out at the time. Coupled that with the low barrier for entry I think it will show the most compelling reason for Stadia.

I can see that. I still think as a Sub service + Game purchase system it’s not a great value proposition, though.
  • I think if you got a months stadia and they included a discount (as they do now with some games of you sub) and the thing was 40 pounds all in I can see that being attractive.
    Depends if you get a full 4K stream though - the side-by-sides of RDR2 running on Stadia vs Xbox that I saw were pretty crappy.
  • I think google have missed a trick by not launching with a big multiplayer exclusive that makes best use of the tech, like something that they talked about that allows huge player numbers without so many netcode issues due to it running on a server farm somewhere.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I don't see how input lag could ever be properly addressed. It's always going to be the Achille's heel.

Maybe casuals would be OK with it. But even if it works well, it's the web, so it could screw up at any time.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Patrick Klepek made a really interesting point about how Cyberpunk might really sell this game. It’ll look the best on 4K Google’s computers compared to the consoles that will be out at the time. Coupled that with the low barrier for entry I think it will show the most compelling reason for Stadia.
    I can see that. I still think as a Sub service + Game purchase system it’s not a great value proposition, though.
    That's exactly the reason I bought it.  I've 3 months to gauge if it's worth it.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • Just spent some time with project xCloud on my phone there, playing Tekken 7 mostly. Its good. It works.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Yeh I'm v impressed with it tbh. Works a treat.
  • Was class. Used console streaming to check into my own Ultimate Team account on fifa and do some transfer listing and selling, then moved onto xCloud when I actually wanted to play something (console streaming is choppy), unlocking achievements and it all counting. It really is a console in the cloud, just logs you in on a game by game basis.

Even with it being a fighting game (yes I was on easy mode and button bashing) I only had one slight hang in about an hr of play time. Now for fifa to come to xCloud and I'm set for life tbh
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Not tried the console streaming. Didn't realise it was live.

It grabbed my SoT save from t'clod and I was sailing in no time.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!