Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    The Apple stuff was only a comparison to a well-known walled-garden. Although browsers are already (low-powered) games consoles due to Flash, no? Plus pretty much anything that can run a browser can also run indie stuff at least. I don’t see this as particularly democratising game making. Access to games, perhaps, but not the making, IMO.

Apple didn't produce any tools to make game making easier, merely the fact that the potential audience had exploded in number made it attractive for the average joe to create games. Google's whole model has always been around allowing it's customers to be the content creators, that won;t change, they will make tools available, as it's key to the model
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You’re going to drag me into an Apple discussion that I wasn’t planning to have, as I say, it was only meant as a point of comparison in response to the suggestion that PSNow was device-agnostic.

However, I will say that a large part of what Apple did (unintentionally, I should add) was create a route to a new market with a very low barrier to entry.

I’d argue that the PC already has several routes to market with low barriers to entry, so I don’t particularly envisage this having the same effect, but this could be wrong.

Of course, Microsoft does already have ID@Xbox and its own streaming service on its way, so there will be competition in this space.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    If Google are doing tools as well, that would be A Good Thing, however.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    If Google are doing tools as well, that would be A Good Thing, however.

I doubt they'll make any themselves, however they will make libraries as public as possible. They always try to. No I wasn't dragging Apple into anything just saying that they increased the visibility of game machines. If Google can join a controller through browser settings, then they can do the same in that explosion. Not ebough to be a games machine only enough to be seen as a games machine
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Maybe, but I don’t think they’ll have anything like the first mover advantage that Apple had with the iPhone. This space will get crowded quickly.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    I see OnLive being mentioned along with PSNow, I might be a bit behind but I thought that Sony bought OnLive so PSNow was OnLive

That was Gaikai that Sony bought.

• LivDiv wrote:
    PS Now is also shit, as was OnLive.
    Not good examples of the concept.

Why are they shit?

PSNow proboubly has a more diverse range of games than ms or anyone else around that can't be played on other systems.
    (bloodbourne, the last of us, uncharted series, ico, katamari, journey, etc etc)
    Everything just works (assuming you have a good quality connection but that should be expected with this kinda service)

Really for me ms should really focus on making at least 2 to 3 great AAA games that ain't Halo, forza or gears as they are really lacking in anything exclusive games wise.
    Wich is the whole reason for picking up a new box right?!

Why would I as a consumer want another streaming subscription service with nothing new/diffrent/original or in any way better than what I already have?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The thread’s about Google, Davie.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    The thread’s about Google, Davie.
    Yossarian wrote:
    Of course, Microsoft does already have ID@Xbox and its own streaming service on its way, so there will be competition in this space.

But Google has competition!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It does, but mentioning competition in relation to a point made in this thread which was on topic is a bit different to jumping in with unconnected console war-isms.
  • I don't think that's a console war-ism.Someone stated PS Now is shit, to which Davie responded with why he doesn't believe it to be, and asked a valid point about what a new service is actually offering consumers.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    He did so by having a pop at Microsoft in a thread about a Google service.
  • And I’m banging on about Brexit in the Coffee & Tea thread. So?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It just struck me as weird is all. Whatevs.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    It does, but mentioning competition in relation to a point made in this thread which was on topic is a bit different to jumping in with unconnected console war-isms.

No console wars isms (is that a word lol?) meant.
    But live pointed out that PSNow like OnLive were shit.
    I think it's a great service and only recently has a friend who's never been online before subscribed to the service and loves it and has discovered ico, shadow of the colossus, the last of us and a number of other games all on my old once dead ps3!

And everything just works as it should.

Might be shite for some but it's opening new avenues for others.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    He's not console war-isms though - just trying to remind people that this "Google/MS is soon going to revolutionise gaming with streaming tech!" attitude is a bit odd, given that the same kind of streaming tech is already out and available for the past 5 years.
    Yossarian wrote:
    You're the one who brought Microsoft into this thread that's "about Google".
  • Streaming games sure does look like it’s the future, whether it’s the one we want or not.

Seems fair to say that once we’re all streaming there is little point in different exclusive platforms – you just need a thin client with good controllers and fast connectivity.

I dunno. All the big games and tech players are going to want to get in on the ground floor in one capacity or another. Most likely Amazon will remain happy just providing infrastructure (but watch them sell faux-branded controllers etc eventually as well) but you never know. They built Prime Video after all.

Of course Google are interested. Android is already a gaming platform. Android is built into a ton of TVs too. Wait and see.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Streaming games sure does look like it’s the future, whether it’s the one we want or not. Seems fair to say that once we’re all streaming there is little point in different exclusive platforms – you just need a thin client with good controllers and fast connectivity. I dunno. All the big games and tech players are going to want to get in on the ground floor in one capacity or another. Most likely Amazon will remain happy just providing infrastructure (but watch them sell faux-branded controllers etc eventually as well) but you never know. They built Prime Video after all. Of course Google are interested. Android is already a gaming platform. Android is built into a ton of TVs too. Wait and see.

Plus also it needs no ownership and offers the consumer no ownership which also follows the most popular current model (Deliveroo, Uber, Spotify, etc). We get annoyed about rental purchases because servers get killed eventually, and this is even worse from that point of view, as the consumer doesn't even have the digital download, forget hard copies, none of that anymore. But this also does follow a model that Google have been doing for a very long time, so I see no reason why they would struggle

The key might be making the thin client as thin as possible. If this could end up being nothing more than a USB stick like GoogleCast or FireStick that includes controller mapping/support, and maybe comes bundled with a controller if wanted, then that would be the ideal. If this could end up being smart TV compatible as well then wow. Much like the PSVitaTV or whatever it was called
  • poprock wrote:
    Streaming games sure does look like it’s the future, whether it’s the one we want or not.

Seems fair to say that once we’re all streaming there is little point in different exclusive platforms – you just need a thin client with good controllers and fast connectivity.

I dunno. All the big games and tech players are going to want to get in on the ground floor in one capacity or another. Most likely Amazon will remain happy just providing infrastructure (but watch them sell faux-branded controllers etc eventually as well) but you never know. They built Prime Video after all.

Of course Google are interested. Android is already a gaming platform. Android is built into a ton of TVs too. Wait and see.

Taking the companies involved, what's the problem with streaming if tech is reasonably solid though? The biggest issue for me with gamepass is I only have so much space on the hard drive so I can't just drop in and out on games like I can on say Netflix with a TV series. Streaming solves that.

SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    You're the one who brought Microsoft into this thread that's "about Google".

I mentioned competitors in relation to Google, not in relation to each other.

But w/e, I do still think this is the future, and I’m currently more excited about the future of gaming than I have been in many years. Feel free to consider it a bit odd, but I’m happy to be enthusiastic about what I see coming up.
  • Well, yeah, i only consider it odd because you’re excited for a future that arrived 5 years ago.
    I mean, it really is a golden age we’re living through with so much choice.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So games eh
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It’s not about the streaming, the streaming’s a means to an end. It’s about the wider changes that streaming can offer, being able to continue your play through of whatever it is that’s currently grabbing you anywhere and at any time. Well, almost at least. That sounds great to me.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Taking the companies involved, what's the problem with streaming if tech is reasonably solid though? The biggest issue for me with gamepass is I only have so much space on the hard drive so I can't just drop in and out on games like I can on say Netflix with a TV series. Streaming solves that.
    The problems for streaming have always been infrastructure (broadband in the uk sucks) and financial (does the cost and pros outweigh the cons for the consumers and the hardware platform owners).
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yoss has done a me if it was Nintendo
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    It’s not about the streaming, the streaming’s a means to an end. It’s about the wider changes that streaming can offer, being able to continue your play through of whatever it is that’s currently grabbing you anywhere and at any time. Well, almost at least. That sounds great to me.

I've thought the same in the past, then worried that it means experiences will be watered down to fit the mobile platform you might be using to catch up on the commute. However Switch is playing into this exact space isn't it? Mobile and sofa gaming, and from what I'm told it does it very well
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yep, Switch has surely proven a market. If they release a version with paddles instead of buttons, I might be tempted by one.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Said as someone who knows that won't happen.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I don't think you write paddles like I read paddles

600px-Atari-2600-Paddle-Controller-FR.jpg
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I genuinely can’t do face buttons any more. I don’t want to risk my thumbs. My mum has conginatally weak thumbs and when hers flare up, she can’t even open doors. I don’t want that to be me in a few years.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!