PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Bandersnatch aioo
  • Sounds like a diabetes drug. Which, given the likely effects of this on the youth of today, is mildly ironic.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    To make sure that you've received the relevant data and have been able to decode and view them correctly. The aim is to integrate it as low as possible into the model. So yo have different layers of communication, the cables themselves, the data going up and down them, the end points recognising each other, the format of the data that's being moved, the applications which run on top of that. The key is to try to integrate the feedback as low in the model as possible so there's less chance of it being interfered with. I'm not as hot on that stuff as I used to be, but look at the OSI model and it might explain it better than I can

I always thought of the network (at the packet level) as a game of pass the parcel. You send a packet marked with where you want it to go and where it's come from, it then comes to me, I know that I'm not the destination, so I wrap up another bit of paper on it with my return address and pass it on again. Yoss does the same but Yoss can see it's for DS who is on his block, so he sends it to him. If you can integrate system stuff as close to that level as possible then there are fewer moving parts so more likely to succeed

Massively oversimplified, and I'm sure other places have better analogies, but although video streaming is not strictly a one way conversation, if you look at just the amount of throughput, then you'd struggle to really say that video gaming was a two way conversation. The ration of input to output would be almost the same. Latency will be the real issue so what we'd do back in the day was to create 'tunneled' connections which were over the internet but spoofed the machines into thinking that they were local. I remember playing PS2 Gran Turismo like this, over dial up. Now I think what they want to do is create a small tunnelled connection between the players and the data centre and then just let the video go back over whatever. This leaves more room inside the 'tunnel' and also a couple of dropped frames has less impact on gameplay than a couple of dropped inputs. The major issue in multiplayer stuff is making sure that inpute from different folk are being responded to at the correct relative time. Like I say, fightman and shmup will be the acid test

jeez, I wrote too much
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I wonder if they're doing stuff like prioritising streaming traffic eg next door gets their search results half a second slower because I'm streaming.
  • https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-google-stadia-phil-harrison-majd-bakar-interview

The YouTubeiness of it is the USP I suppose. In one way it'll be nice to not ever have to wait for a download, install or patch. In another way it'll further cement the role of the "influencer" as marketing shill.
  • Some tests already had 10f of input lag, and that was likely in a controlled environment.

This will be just as shit as PS NOW.
  • Whats that, 16ms or so?

Its academic for me anyway. The internet here is shite for streaming video let alone bullshit 4k/60fps which in reality will be buffering longer than 33kbps Dreamcast pr0n. 

Its less relevant to me than an xbox one with 100GB+ updates.

Great for those who can get it, but I would get more gametime per dollar buying an AES and Pulstar.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Can anyone explain this thing? Is it just a cloud connected controller?
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Angry Birds/Candy Crush in 4k. If you're already getting lag in stuff like Battlefield right now then how shit will it be if the whole game has to come down your pipeline as well?
  • I'm not upgrading my internet just to play Angry Birds.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    In 4k!
  • Gonna be funtimes trying to get all the publishers to target linux + Vulkan.
    Ironically, might be the kick in the arse for linux gaming that SteamOS couldn't manage, so could help SteamOS viability.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Im not arsed about MP so if the SP is sweet, sorted.
  • Vela wrote:
    Whats that, 16ms or so?

Its academic for me anyway. The internet here is shite for streaming video let alone bullshit 4k/60fps which in reality will be buffering longer than 33kbps Dreamcast pr0n. 

Its less relevant to me than an xbox one with 100GB+ updates.

Great for those who can get it, but I would get more gametime per dollar buying an AES and Pulstar.

16.66ms is 1f

The tests had spikes of over 160ms

Completely unplayable for anything that requires quick reactions.
  • Here's a more complete breakdown and when put into context of what we already play it isn't as bad.
    https://wccftech.com/google-stadia-latency-artefacts/

At 60fps input lag is just short of a high end PC and better than an Xbox.

The sacrifice is artifacts which Google will need to work on.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    They can spec the shit out of the servers and the endpoints. The "network" or web connection is the weakest link. And as most here know it isn't the bandwidth that's the only issue - you need appropriate bandwidth AND latency.  Like voltage and ampage - you need both. You need the wide pipes and the big pumps.

Some clever image processing can be used to transmit only the frame deltas but even that is going to stutter depending on the game.

Until ubiquitous WAN like performance is in place, this is for a minority.

It is one thing to receive and transmit data about avatar locations and bullet /missile locations in an MP FPS. Quite another to transmit video frames to every player at a sufficient rate. It actually would make MP game architecture cleaner of course - you only accept control inputs from each player and then update the status of the arena before transmitting each player's camera view but you need the speed of data transmission to make that workable.

For casual match 3 games etc and probably quite detailed 2D games it may of course be fine but for high end 3D environmental stuff you need local heft.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Was just catching up and about to say that this system will prob be better (or at least, not as problematic) for MP rather than SP, but then Davy beat me to it on the last post! ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Here's a more complete breakdown and when put into context of what we already play it isn't as bad.
    https://wccftech.com/google-stadia-latency-artefacts/

At 60fps input lag is just short of a high end PC and better than an Xbox.

The sacrifice is artifacts which Google will need to work on.

Interesting. I'm kinda surprised that console/PC is as bad as that...
  • I'm also surprised, because it smells like cherry-picked bullshit. I'll wait until there's more independent benchmarks across a variety of sources.
  • It's definitely best to wait and see in independent, real world testing.
  • This is going to be ace and I am all in
    Day one
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • That's a bold strategy cotton.......
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Im not arsed about MP so if the SP is sweet, sorted.

This is also me
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Macron, "It's a no deal Brexit if deal rejected again."
  • Well that's that then.
  • Why am I saying this shit in here?
  • Because of immigrants.
  • Well, once we can’t afford to leave our homes (or are too afraid of roaming bandits to do so) we’ll need our Google Game Streaming Overlords to pump distractions into our Brexited eyeballs. Acting as passive viewer farms is one of the only career opportunities that will stay available to us.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Post Brexit we can have imperial 4K TVs (none of this 4096 nonsense, 4000 makes much more sense), and achieve 50FPS with some 20% less processing power than their 60FPS. It's the future.
  • Don't forget that all of your services will run 17% slower, and will have letterboxing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!