Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It's about the fourth or fifth post I've read from H slating either the formula, Geaarbox or Randy, no idea why we need to be kept updated on his buying status.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    More of the same is never going to be good enough. Get back to playing some innovative, exciting, brand new experience like the Link's Awakening remake, reg.

Wait...
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    I'll just say that  I bought it and think it's fine. Running the big robbit mech suit lady? Moze is it? Only just getting to the third world just now and have enjoyed the Blands experience again a lot. 
    Clear out every side mission, largely ignore the hilarity and general Claptrapness bits, relish all the filtering of the assorted endless spooging of loots. 

Only ever really played them solo and on PC it seems to look very pretty and run nice and fast. 

That's my hot take.. 

I could easily see it just being a nice long tickler of starting new characters, grinding some new gunz, shooting lots of things, hunting the boss drops.. waiting for lovely golds to pop..
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message

Surely you're letting your opinions of randy Randy Pitchford colour your thinking on this?

Yes. Yes I am.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    More of the same is never going to be good enough. Get back to playing some innovative, exciting, brand new experience like the Link's Awakening remake, reg.

Wait...

Yeah I'm not happy with that either.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's about the fourth or fifth post I've read from H slating either the formula, Geaarbox or Randy, no idea why we need to be kept updated on his buying status.
    From the boy who comments every time a direct drops.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:

Wait...

I'm assuming that's not because it's more of the same though.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:

Wait...

I'm assuming that's not because it's more of the same though.

Actually it kind of is. It's basically identical, with slowdown, and kind of my reasoning is why am I bothering.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    You knew it was identical before buying though, that was the point of it. So you can't then get on the high horse about Borderlands being more of the same, it's hypocritical.
  • regmcfly wrote:

Surely you're letting your opinions of randy Randy Pitchford colour your thinking on this?

Yes. Yes I am.

Then say that instead? It reads like you've just listened to Giant Bomb and gone with them on it because you don't like Pitchford (which is fine enough reason to ignore the game).
  • I've never played a Borderlands game. Do they have much of a story/narrative to them?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Don't want it to sound like I'm getting at you, Reg, but I don't get it.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    I've never played a Borderlands game. Do they have much of a story/narrative to them?

As in you have some characters saying stuff while running around shooting stuff. Probably better than Bethesda’s latest output Tbf.

• So is the story not much cop? I love the aesthetic of these titles, but being a stubborn less is more sort, I've always been put off by the millions of guns angle.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Tbh I didn’t get that far but I was enjoying what I did experience. Only played BL2 mind.

Edit - I still plan to finish it.
  • I haven’t played 3 yet so can’t comment on that, but 1 and 2 weren’t very hot on story - there’s not much or a narrative, just loads of stuff to shoot. What there is though is quite a few fun characters that lean hard into silliness (especially in some of the DLC) that are fun to do fetch-quests or go-over-there-and-kill-everything-quests for. Some nice environment and arena design as well. No real story, but quite a lot of character.

The loot is fucking fantastic though and the primary driver of the game imho. Action good as well, with the RPG skill tree mechanic and loot giving a great treadmill of progress and numbers-getting-bigger.
  • Humour probably the most subjective art so ymmv, natch.
  • Aye, I'd probably really get on with everything except the lootiness. That's just not my bag sadly.
  • g.man wrote:
    Aye, I'd probably really get on with everything except the lootiness. That's just not my bag sadly.
    Get some practice before Breakpoint ;-)
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • b0r1s wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    I've never played a Borderlands game. Do they have much of a story/narrative to them?

As in you have some characters saying stuff while running around shooting stuff. Probably better than Bethesda’s latest output Tbf.

It does but in a cool way where if you’ve played the previous games it’s cool but if you haven’t you wouldn’t know you where missing out
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • Cheers fellas.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    From the boy who comments every time a direct drops.

But that's because Nintendo.are shit and you're riffing on the GOTY
  • Just beaten the boss on the third planet (a riff on Far Cry 4?) and whilst the general gunplay remains as solid as ever, here's my list of gripes so far:

1. The inventory. The fucking inventory. Why has this remain unchanged since 2009?! For a looter shooter that's all about collecting as many guns as possible, it seems utterly perverse to place such miserly restrictions on inventory space. Even after upgrades, you're forever juggling your stash to squeeze in that new drop. Ten years on, we're still having to deal with this nonsense.

(Why not take a leaf out of Torchlight's book for christ sake and give us a minion that can take your surplus items to the shop for you? Claptrap, I'm looking at you.)

2. Limiting the number of guns you can wield to story progression. We should have 4 slots from the off.

3. Levelling up. You go to the skills tree, you assign a point. That's it. Apart from the initial splash screen announcement that you've gone up a level, there's no feedback, audio or otherwise, to say you've increased your skill set. The weird absence of any fanfare in his department really vexs me greatly. And I don't know why.

4. I've got 3 main skills. But can only equip 2 of them at any one time. Only 1 if I'm not playing Zane. And if I do equip 2, I have to sacrifice the ability to throw grenades. Utter bullshit. I assume this is some measure to make sure co-op teams don't overpower mobs or something. Or to promote skill synergy in co-op. But for single players coming straight from Rage 2 (where you could realise your super soldier dreams by activating multiple powers all at once) Blands3 restrictions seem puzzlingly naff.

5. I have to endlessly cycle through all my weapons if I want to get to my shotgun. There are no d-pad shortcuts to swop to instantly.

6. Because there is no proper waypoint system (think Halo's directional arrows) I am having to constantly open & close my map to check if I'm heading the right way.

These may be mere minor gripes, (and heavens knows I have more) but they are steadily eroding my enjoyment of the game. Which is why, just like the two games before it, I doubt I'll finish it.

I get the argument that if the formula works, more of the same is ok. But Jesus, not fixing the games legacy of deficiencies after all this time is pretty inexcusable really.

It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I’m with you on most of that.
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    As a counter point, stop.picking up every gun. I haven't maxed out inventory space yet because anything sub-purple, unless your guns are way under levelled, is generally shit.

if there was a fanfare everytime you got a skill point shit would be annoying as hell. You get a quick mention of skills point to spend then reminder at the bottom of the screen which suits me nicely.

There are three skill trees yeah, but if you could equip.all.skills at once do you have any concept.how outrageously.easy the game.would become? It's not hard to begin with, if you want a power trip then theres Rage 2, its.not that game.

You can change controls to classic so you can cycle.guns on d-pad. The option is there.

Learn the maps instead of a big arrow or waypoint pointing you in the direction. It's generally done so you might just wander off and maybe find something on a map. It's not a.mad rush from.quest to quest.

It's fine to hate aspects of it, just wanted to counterpoint. I just find it weird when people aren't happy when a game is exactly.what they expect or desire, when there are games.out there that fit their requirements.

To.many it's a flawed game,.to.me.its perfect, but I am.a.fanboy.
  • Tbf, it sounds like a lotta fun. For all the more of the same stuff there’ll be people like me who’ve never played them and so wouldn’t know if it was just a shiny update.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    My.main gripe, and its away from this game, is something I've seen over the past few years of.seeming gripes if one gsme.series doesnt incorporate aspects of another.

Like if I play a new Bethesda RPG I know to expect some jank, good storytelling and terrible combat. I'm not gonna complain as to why it doesnt have Souls-esque combat or Kingdom Come graphics.

Likewise a CoD shooter I know is twitchy and silly paced,I'm.not gonna complain if it's not Destinty syle.gameplay or Arma style exploration.

Just strikes me.as odd that people seem.to want things to be an amalgamation of others rather than something just being allowed to, well, be.
  • What if instead of first person shooting, it was isometric click to attack, and instead of guns, it was melee weaponry, and instead of abilities it was spells and abilities, and instead of the future, it was a fantasy past?

That would make it good, to me, who wants Diablo 4.
  • Some of the lack of QoL stuff does feel like a swing and a miss though. It's a similar problem when you play a new Total War that misses something - like Three Kingdoms improving on a bunch of shit but then not having the same group units commands, bah.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Its full of QoL stuff, oddly.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!