Burgers
  • Was actually disappointed in them when we went, wasn't the messianic experience some said it was. Five Guys would've been my pick too.

We can't go to FG any more cos she's veggie, and their veggie options suck real hard. Basically a cheese toastie you get.
  • FG do the best hotdogs.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • We were actually debating Five Guys there in work. A colleague was adamant they're rubbish, me loving them. They just do the basics so so so well imo, and dem cajun fries. My word.
  • I had a hotdog at the Alford Transport Museum yesterday. Go there instead.
  • My man, Gav.

Five Guys get dirty burgers just right, for me. Two thin patties, nuclear American cheese, bun that isn’t too sweet. I go with grilled onions and hot sauce. No need to overcomplicate. And DAMN, those cajun fries, with their hint of peanut oil.

For me there’s no chain who come close. One-off craft places can beat ’em, but not the other chains.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    We can't go to FG any more cos she's veggie, and their veggie options suck real hard. Basically a cheese toastie you get.

Meat Liquor does the best (halloumi and mushroom) veggie burger I’ve ever had. Take her there if they’ve made it across the border.
    Don't prepare for appointment.
  • We’ve had god-tier veggie burgers in Glasgow for decades. 13th Note originally, but also Mono/Stereo/Flying Duck nowadays. Best chips in town, too.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Almost Famous do the best burgers I've had. Next fucking level.
  • If you go to BMB you have to get the 3x3 Cali Burger, otherwise why go?
  • Tempy wrote:
    If you go to BMB you have to get the 3x3 Cali Burger, otherwise why go?

It’s not on their lunch takeaway menu. And they’re strict about that.
  • That's a shame. The best Glasgow burger I've had so far has been at El Perro Negro too. I'd like Five Guys a whole lot more if it was about half price, it's outrageous.
  • It’s overpriced for sure, but no more so than other burger joints nearby. Other places look cheaper at first, but if you spec their burgers up to the same level (doubler, cheese, toppings, fries) then they cost even more.

Even BRGR gets up to the same sort of cost once you add stuff up.
  • Aye, BRGR was also meh. She loved the halloumi fries though. Cheers for those recs though, folks.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Heh, umami burger was the place we ended up at the first night we got here 2 years ago. Haven't been back that often, don't recall it being that great. It was the Irvine Spectrum location though.

hopdoddy is usually the one we go to if we want a bit more than a drive through burger. This was also where I realized that chili cheese fries doesn't mean fries and cheese spiced up with chili powder, but actually chili con carne. Must have been the most I've eaten.

Best drive through burger has to be In 'N Out. I just have an unhealthy love for the place. Like the fact that they always have the iconic crossed palm trees near their building. Shakes are good (not too sweet, was sad at first they don't have whipped cream on them but I'm over that now), double double is great, fries are only close to edible when having them animal style, but it's the dirty little treat next to the burger, which tastes a lot "fresher".

There has a Five Guys opened across the street not too long ago, I'll check that out. Wasn't impressed the first time I went to one.

This means that within walking distance (talking 5 - 10 minute walk here, has to be fast), there's McD, Five Guys and Wendy's. If we're talking a 5 minute car drive, add the In 'N Out, Jack in the Box and Carls Jr. SoCal is really lacking Burger Kings though.
  • Sort of related, one of the best steaks i've had is in Amsterdam. Pretty sure the place is called 'the steak' in Dutch or something. Menu all in dutch but no need for menu, we just order steak, fries, salad, Heineken
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Best steak I ever had was at the Skellig Hotel in Dingle, Kerry. A stunning piece of meat, cooked to perfect medium rare.
  • Kow wrote:
    Best steak I ever had was at the Skellig Hotel in Dingle, Kerry. A stunning piece of meat, cooked to perfect medium rare.

It is a fine place and a fine chunk of meat.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Djornson wrote:
    Sort of related, one of the best steaks i've had is in Amsterdam. Pretty sure the place is called 'the steak' in Dutch or something. Menu all in dutch but no need for menu, we just order steak, fries, salad, Heineken
    Biefstuk? That does vaguely ring a bell, but never went there. Think most of the times we were out in the city centre it was a pub or café or anything with beer. I miss that.

• Almost Famous do the best burgers I've had. Next fucking level.
    I think I might be the same.

5 Guys is solid for a chain. Very much enjoyed most burgers I've had from Meat Whatever places.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Because this thread made me hungry, our entire studio got burgers in from Bread Meets Bread at lunchtime.

I would have gone for Five Guys, but got outvoted. We’re democratic here, sometimes.

Your colleagues have better taste than you it seems.
  • People in London really need to check out Bleecker burger doe. Ridiculously good burgers
    Help me Father, I think I am malfunctioning
  • Yes, the Bleecker black is up there.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Almost Famous do the best burgers I've had. Next fucking level.
    I think I might be the same.

Bunch of Southerners repeating the same while we're donning it up here
  • Today I went with the basic, two 2oz burgers, gouda, crispy onion, yellow mustard and ketchup.

40777194063_8de72b5f89.jpg
  • Have you got a cow near its sell by or something?
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Have you got a cow near its sell by or something?

I live alone and buying food in smaller portions is costly.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    So I made these today. Including buns.

As I thought the meat I had (80-20) was too tightly packed. It's in a little square package, vacuum, so there's no room for the fat to go up and it doesn't smash down that well. Luckily I saw that Target actually has the meat like it comes from a grinder, so hopefully that works better and won't stick to my spatula and make a mess. Will try next time.

It was still tasty though.
  • I'm making prawn burgers tonight. Blooming lovely things.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!