Somewhere between 100 and 102 things that make us feel fuzzy.
  • davyK wrote:
    Just want to say that as an Apollo fanboy I have been lording it up and gorging on the occasion and gobbling up any scrap of new factoids I learn from its over exposure on TV. James Burke. :)
    You're about my age Davy. You must remember watching it all at the time?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I would much prefer it if there was a specific number of fuzzy things were were aiming for. Somewhere between 100 and 102 would be fine. As it is, thread title is too vague.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Just want to say that as an Apollo fanboy I have been lording it up and gorging on the occasion and gobbling up any scrap of new factoids I learn from its over exposure on TV. James Burke. :)

I'm 53 so too young for Apollo 11 but I can remember something of the later missions. I can clearly remember just growing up in the middle of Apollo mania which lasted quite a while. I got a space suit one Christmas complete with helmet. :)

I remember posters on my bedroom wall. I had a lunar rover Dinky toy and a pile of other stuff.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • G and Davy talking about Dinky toys and moon landings does it for me.
  • davyK wrote:
    I'm 53 so too young for Apollo 11 but I can remember something of the later missions. I can clearly remember just growing up in the middle of Apollo mania which lasted quite a while. I got a space suit one Christmas complete with helmet. :) I remember posters on my bedroom wall. I had a lunar rover Dinky toy and a pile of other stuff.
    Yeah, I'm about to turn 54 so I've got a few months on you maybe. I still remember it on the telly for days on end though. My main memories are the BBC using Also Sprach Zarathustra as their theme for all the programmes and James Burke seemingly being one the telly 24 hours a day, talking about not very much. It bored me to tears. Despite being constantly told this was the most incredible thing ever, for a four year old it was purgatory. The rocket taking off was awesome, but then after that, we just seemed to be watching the square root of fuck-all for what seemed like a lifetime.
    I remember the pictures from the Eagle as it glided over the moon on it's descent. I remember seeing pictures of them in their suites on the moon, and I remember them taking off again. I have hazy memories of them arriving back on earth, but yup, to a four year old being forced to watch it all, it wasn't exactly Star Trek.

Still, it's awesome to have those memories a lifetime on. To be able to look back and remember watching it live is a nice thing, and I've been thoroughly enjoying all the docos this last week. It really was such an extra-fucking-ordinary achievement, I find myself tearing up at the scope of it all.

Armstrong was just an incredible man. When they blasted off from the moon, Aldrin's pulse reached 120. Armstrong's was 90. Man had ice water in his veins.
    The whole lunar expedition is just mind meltingly brilliant. Truly one of mankind's greatest achievements.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Armstrong was the man for the job. During Gemini he intervened and retrieved control when the vehicle got into a spin after a docking manoeuvre and the g forces were building up just to when a human would black out.

There's also the footage of him ejecting off that flying bed they used to train for the lunar lander with before it crashed.

Armstrong's pulse was 150+ at the lunar landing though  but again he intervened when the computer was taking them into a boulder field.... but he was one special individual.

Aldrin had some brain though - during the Gemini missions the computer caved in and he performed the calculations for rendezvous himself. Apparantly the subject was what he covered in his Phd....
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    You lads should watch First Man
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
  • Aye, no slight on Aldrin. All these guys were the definition of exceptional.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Remembering feeling a bit fuzzy filming this Saturn V whilst looking up at it's mahoosive engines.

Kennedy Space Centre, Florida.

Hope everyone who wants to see this feat of human ingenuity gets the chance.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I'm glad Armstrong was first. Buzz Aldrin was the least experienced and was meant to go first, mainly because stepping down the ladder requires no technical skill but they changed protocol. Collins was very experienced and so put in charge of Lunar orbit by himself. 

It never gets old.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Stick 'you asked for that' jabs 'n beatdown videos on the fuzzy list.
  • You lads should watch First Man

I bought it earlier in the week, in preparation for watching last night. Not quite as intense as the cinema experience, but still a great film.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I was Kennedy space Center last year. Was truly awesome.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm glad Armstrong was first. Buzz Aldrin was the least experienced and was meant to go first, mainly because stepping down the ladder requires no technical skill but they changed protocol. Collins was very experienced and so put in charge of Lunar orbit by himself.  It never gets old.

Armstrong had less hours than Aldrin. He went first because of logistics. The Commander by tradition always sends someone out first which is why Aldrin had an expectation of being first. But Aldrin couldn't have got past him in the LM to get out.

Collins had huge responsibilty even though it wasn't showy. He had to pull the LM out of the cargo hold in the early phases of the mission. Had to perform the lunar insertion burn whike out of contact with mission control, rendezvous with the LM when it returned, make the return journey burn while out of contact, and then rotate the craft for the correct re-entry angle. And had to deal with being totally alone while the glory boys were on the surface.
  • Tommy Robinson has been beaten up in the prison showers, by a 70 year old, for acting like a celebrity.
  • Come with g if you want to live...
  • "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Loving this.....cheers!
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Tommy Robinson has been beaten up in the prison showers, by a 70 year old, for acting like a celebrity.

Was it a 70 year old Muslim though?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Who would you rather get bombed by?
    A 70 year old Muslim or 70 one year old Muslims

Although I hope it wasn't because it's more shit to add to the bollox he'll write when he gets out
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    True, likley do better figures as an audio book, being as most of his fans can;t read
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • His followers are dumb though...
  • He'll do another live stream outside a court.
  • The peg legged hurd of elephants that live above me are moving out today!
  • REJOICE!
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The high heel wearing rhino clan are moving in!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!