BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Wow. How ugly is the US version?

It's even better when you see the OG connected to the CD add-on.

TurboGrafx-CD.jpg
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • They are all ugly as sin.

• Yeah, I remember being desperate to have one of these back in the day - it seemed so exotic at the time. I think it was the port of R-Type that had me salivating.
    I still play it now, cracking version. 48276685191_3a888df997_z.jpg
    R-Type was the main thing that sold it to me. I only ever had that first card though. I still iknow levels 1-4 inside out. After that, no idea.

I'm assuming the version on the Mini is the whole thing stuck together.
  • I only had my PC Engine for about a year in the end. I gave up and sold it because the games were just too difficult to get hold of reliably (and the Megadrive was due out not long after). There was nowhere to buy them locally, so after saving up it was a case of looking at the mail order ads in CVG and sending a cheque by post, then waiting for weeks usually only to get the cheque back with a 'sorry, out of stock' note. The few games I did get were great though.

This is probably why I'm keen on the idea of this Mini version, more than I have been with other consoles. There are still loads of games I saw back then and wanted to try but never got to play.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    They are all ugly as sin.

I dunno, the Japanese units have a certain something. Especially the white version.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • LivDiv wrote:
    What was the PSX R Type?
    I remember my mate getting it on a whim and it was great, then he traded it for some crap because that is what we did back then.
    Iirc it is worth a something now?

The Playstation one was pretty much the definite version. Has since been superseded by the digital versions on the current gen though.

Playstation also got Delta which was superb. PS2 got Final which I never played but heard good things.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • JonB wrote:
    Yeah, I remember being desperate to have one of these back in the day - it seemed so exotic at the time. I think it was the port of R-Type that had me salivating.
    I still play it now, cracking version. 48276685191_3a888df997_z.jpg
    R-Type was the main thing that sold it to me. I only ever had that first card though. I still iknow levels 1-4 inside out. After that, no idea.

I'm assuming the version on the Mini is the whole thing stuck together.

We had r-type for the master system which I got from a mate at school. Amazing conversion, solid and rock hard. I could 1 credit the thing too back in the day. The amount of sprites on-screen was insane despite some sprite flicker. Supremely playable tho'.

I remember looking at the pc engine version and being jealous because of the gfx.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    What was the PSX R Type? I remember my mate getting it on a whim and it was great, then he traded it for some crap because that is what we did back then. Iirc it is worth a something now?
    The Playstation one was pretty much the definite version. Has since been superseded by the digital versions on the current gen though. Playstation also got Delta which was superb. PS2 got Final which I never played but heard good things.

Aye. PS1 got R-Types which is R-Type 1 & 2 on one disc. I suspect the first arcade perfect renditions at home.

R-Type Delta is still a great play - it looks a bit pixelly and warpy now but its an exception to the rule of those early 3D games not aging well - I really like its look. It's polygonal but plays in 2D while throwing a pile of stuff about on screen while still holding everything together. Bold and glorious.

As a bonus both games got great PAL treatments. Run full screen. I can vouch that RTypes runs at the same speed as the originals played in MAME - since arcade games run at lower framerates then 50Hz isn't an issue. I'm guessing Delta is properly optimised too due to the fact it runs full screen and seems fast to me.

R-Type Final is in my best 100 ever. It splits opinion as its a pretty slow ponderous game but there's over 100 ships to unlock and dozens of force orbs and other items to create a head spinning amount of combinations making its score attack mode play like the shooting version of a driving game.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • R type final and gradus v on ps2 nearly justified the machine for me at one point, such was the amount of playtime they were getting.

Think ps2 era is my golden age of gaming. I had the time and the money, and the games were of a high quality and variety wise.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I had Final on PS2, twas top.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    R type final and gradus v on ps2 nearly justified the machine for me at one point

Those two games are precisely why I got a PS2.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    £100!!!
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • It's supposed to be $100/90 Euros, so it should come down from that. Maybe £80. Still a bit much TBH.
  • JonB wrote:
    It's supposed to be $100/90 Euros, so it should come down from that. Maybe £80. Still a bit much TBH.

2020 release, Brexit may adjust that price a bit on both the Euro and Sterling side if both fall. 

I'd agree its a bit on the high side but I'd still be tempted.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yeah, by next March £100 could be the price of a tin of beans.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Well that's not much different to what hapened after the minimum wage hapened. I was abroad at the time and tins of tomatoes in 18 months went from 3-7pence up to 28-35 pence
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Are you sure about that? It feels like something I’d have noticed.
  • I think a hundred is okay for this thing. Far nicher than the SNES, NES or Megadrive and more games than them each.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Definitely happened, was one of the thing that made me start to hate my nation
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I know when Lidl first arrived there was newspaper shit about 7p beans but the fact it was in the news paper should suggest it was exception rather than a rule.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    Definitely happened, was one of the thing that made me start to hate my nation

Inflation rates didn’t seem to have changed much at all after the MW was introduced.

https://www.rateinflation.com/inflation-rate/uk-historical-inflation-rate?start-year=1990&end-year=2010

Perhaps tinned tomatoes were an outlier caused by other factors than the introduction of the minimum wage?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Probably, maybe Spain deciding they want to exploit new British wealth?? Who knows, but I use a ot of tomatoes so it was the one that I noticed
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    £80 puts it outside of impulse territory, but that's not unreasonable. A full ton means I'd only grab one if it was on sale.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    How about... £99.99 with £4 credit for Amazon Pantry?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    A hundred quid?? Could youu not just buy one for that
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    But then you won't get £4 credit for Amazon Pantry!
  • Amazon are really pushing this Pantry bollocks, aren’t they? £4 credit with almost bloody anything you buy.
  • You can’t expect Bezos to be satisfied with only dominating 90% of your purchasing
  • There’s probably a countdown clock somewhere marking time until Bezos buys Ocado or Tesco or something.
  • Some new additions to the lineup:

Spriggan
    Spriggan Mark 2
    Dragon Spirit
    Galaga '88
    The Genji and the Heike Clans
    The Legend of Valkyrie
    Splatterhouse

And now it's complete.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!