PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Spoiler:
  • It’s a fuck up of an ending alright. I literally have no idea what the overall story was meant to be. Enjoyed the game itself loads and loads though.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yup I had a similar confusion! Which is probably good design, if I understood it properly :p
  • The optional/post-credits stuff is where it gets really interesting. Well worth mopping up some of those extra missions. It's where you really learn about all the different objects of power, and there are some nice boss battles.
  • It took me about 6+ goes last night to get past the first boss. Which turned out not to be a 'boss' at all, but just the first introduced encounter with a Heavy Hiss guard. You see this is why I don't, as a rule, play real games.

Would this work as a cover shooter? Because during play, I yearned for some proper cover mechanics. Suppose that would negate the urge to dash around like a loon collecting health drops and unleashing telekinetic mayhem though?

What's that counter at the top of the screen that seems to increase when I waste bad guys and decrease when I die? And how do I upgrade my kit? I've been gathering resources, but all I see is a padlock in the UI. Are upgrades unlocked as I progress the story? I have 2 health upgrades, but only have space to select one :(
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I had the same issue Blocks. Basically all you can do with that boss is hide behind the cover and shoot as you don't have the skills yet. You will get some soon though that will help you dash and cover etc which is when it gets more rewarding.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    It took me about 6+ goes last night to get past the first boss. Which turned out not to be a 'boss' at all, but just the first introduced encounter with a Heavy Hiss guard. You see this is why I don't, as a rule, play real games.

Would this work as a cover shooter? Because during play, I yearned for some proper cover mechanics. Suppose that would negate the urge to dash around like a loon collecting health drops and unleashing telekinetic mayhem though?

What's that counter at the top of the screen that seems to increase when I waste bad guys and decrease when I die? And how do I upgrade my kit? I've been gathering resources, but all I see is a padlock in the UI. Are upgrades unlocked as I progress the story? I have 2 health upgrades, but only have space to select one :(

I had the same problem with that and yes you can use cover in fact it’s how I did it
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • My daughter ordered me the DLC for this as a birthday present. (She's nice like that). Whilst none of it's out yet, it did also unlock a bonus mission called "Isolation" which required a bit of tracking down. Has anyone else played it?  (Called "Dr. Yoshimi Tokui's Guided Imagery Experience" in game).

It's extremely slight - not worth spending money to access, but also delightfully weird.
    Spoiler:
    One of the things I love about the game is it's willingness to chuck in moments of sheer strangeness - and my only disappointment with this one is that it wasn't just in there to stumble upon all along.  

Meanwhile to answer @Blocks100 - you upgrade via a couple  of different routes. Weapons can be unlocked and upgraded via a Control Point - go to Astral Constructs and then upgrade if you have the relevant stuff.

Equally abilities can be upgraded via a Control Point too - just go to "abilities" and play with the upgrade tree. (My advice is to max out your launcher as a priority)  Ability points are unlocked for completing missions in the game.

Your number of mod slots (to put that health upgrade in for instance) increases as the game goes on - though it never gets terribly generous.

Oh, and that first boss is, most definitely, a boss. He's really just there to teach you that floaty guys generally have to be shot, and that whilst cover isn't a major part of the game there are situations (especially bosses) where it's  needed. The whole lot gets considerably more fun once you've unlocked a few more abilities.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The intant-death holes when fighting The Former are absolutely infuriating.
  • Loaded this up for the DLC but ended up killing lots of chairs instead. Still excellent fun, and runs a lot more smoothly (on PC) with some improvements to the clunky menus. Style for miles.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    The intant-death holes when fighting The Former are absolutely infuriating.

Yeah it's a weird design thing really. Like surely the testers made those mistakes and were like "hey, the boss is really high so you're never looking at the ground but you keep making the ground disappear even in places that aren't telegraphed so it's actually really hard to tell where you might fall. Can you, maybe, not make so many holes in the floor?"

It's a shame because the setting and the actual boss is cool but the fight end up being really annoying.
  • I was quite lucky and only died once to that boss but it's definitely some old-school crap design. There's a big battle at the end that's a pig, too, but I quite enjoyed getting better at that and then nailing it. The best bit is slinging filing cabinets at grunts. Or chairs at chairs.
  • I thought the Former was fine. Doesn't the ground only disappear where it's done its stampy leg attack? So you can remember to stay away from certain areas for a bit.

The Anchor and Mold bosses took me much longer.
  • There was a bug (recently fixed).

'Fixed an issue where anything the player did during the Former boss fight broke the floor. Now, only the Former’s smashing attacks will break the floor'
  • I finally got round to playing the first of the substantial DLC instalments over the weekend - "The Foundation".  It has you merrily adventuring in caverns below the Oldest House, and introduces a few new twists, both from a gameplay and story perspective. 

It is, as the title would suggest, solid but not particularly revolutionary. Still, you learn quite a bit more about the history of the place, with inevitably more answers than questions.  There is one (it turns out, entirely optional) section however which looks like it's going to be utterly amazing, but is in fact incredibly annoying.  You will know it when you get there.
    Spoiler:
    Still, it's fun, some familiar faces return, and it left me eager for the next instalment...
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Finished this the other day. First thing I need to say is that the menu systems for browsing collectible documents is fucking atrocious to browse considering the sheer amount. I did like it though.

I liked it overall but I think the Ashtray Maze stands tall so much in the memory because it needed more set pieces like that. I was not involved enough in the combat to want to do any of the board tasks for mods or the random FBC encounters and judging by the trophy percentages neither was anyone else. I did all the optional bosses just for story and closure really since that's the meat of the thing to me. I'm hearing the Jukebox Expeditions don't have any story in them and they're basically combat gauntlets so that'll be something I skip.

Ultimately I wish more time was given to fleshing out Trench and the nature of the FBC. I wanted James McCaffrey to go hard on the dolcet Max Payne tones talking about the incident that happened with his predecessor that catapulted him to the Directorship. His thoughts on The Board. What happened to his family to cause his judgement to falter in the first place. 

It's strange but while something like Control is basically selling us on the idea of a magical unknowable land beyond the veil, that thing alone isn't as interesting as it being a catalyst to see real characters in far out situations. The characters in Control are just wallpaper really but I still found myself staring at the walls more than the rooms if that makes sense.
  • I hope they keep adding to this setting for future games. I reckon it has a lot of potential. Better character work would be nice too, like you say.
  • I’m around chapter five and I find so much of this game flabby and I can’t help but sense the flabbiness is to hide a whole lot of nothing.

Everything in this game feels so slow - launching, shooting and then when you think you are done with a set of baddies more show up. There are also too many cheap deaths which are countered by cheap tactics (I found myself sniping in the mould pit because I knew where some baddies were because I’d died from them surprising me).

It’s not bad but it’s not as good as the interesting premise deserves.
  • I’m on this boss called
    Spoiler:
    and things really bug me:

1) the crappy redness and the shadow and bumping into things

2) the unlimited number of baddies.

3) the walk back to the boss.

Of course I win the first time afterwards.
  • Haha.

Anyone played the DLC? Really want to but can’t find a cheap copy to buy to then get the DLC.
  • This game needed more different things. For a game ostensibly about how wild and wacky the world is it’s absolutely terrible that the last stage
    Spoiler:

The worst part is that the tactics required to win every fight boil down to using one of two ammo metres: lob lob lob lob shoot shoot lob lob lob lob etc. As if that isn’t tiresome enough any time you get a random spawn you clear out a room only for it to reset in filling itself. Utterly abysmal.

Some other things - why on Earth is everything redacted in a building which can seemingly do anything with anything? Why write all this crap if it’s going to be redacted inside a building
    Spoiler:
    it comes across as a cheesy artefact to ape MJ12 kinds of stuff but it makes no sense in game.

All of the threshold kids were great though.
  • I think almost every Remedy game suffers from the same issues. They have a core combat loop and they expand on that with new skills and/or new enemy types, but it's ultimately the same loop. They also tend to have slightly flat endings.

I really liked the game though, but completely agree with the above.
  • I played through the AWE DLC last night.  

It's fun, whilst essentially being more Control.  (It's set entirely in The Oldest House, not even the slight change of scenery that came with Foundation.)  The added gameplay mechanic is, essentially, a series of challenges based around turning lights on, and that's it. 

However. 

Slight spoiler, though I think it's widely known who turns up in this one...
    Spoiler:
    Much bigger spoiler..
    Spoiler:
    So yes, game play wise, there's nothing huge.  Story wise - particularly if you like That Other Game (and much less so if you're hoping to expand on the stuff raised in The Foundation) - there's lots to pick over.
  • Is this really good? It's on steam sale right now but I have Xpass games to get through for free.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yea its my GOTY 2019 by some margin
  • Goddamit.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I really enjoyed it too. Need to get onto the dlc
  • Syph79 wrote:
    I think almost every Remedy game suffers from the same issues. They have a core combat loop and they expand on that with new skills and/or new enemy types, but it's ultimately the same loop. They also tend to have slightly flat endings.

I really liked the game though, but completely agree with the above.

I always find Remedy combat to be a bit flat and dull. It’s kinda weightless - very flashy, yes, but lacking in punch. Too skatey. All the oomph is supplied visually, but the movement and shooting itself feels...a bit shit.

They also tend to have way too many combat encounters with little variation meaning that even if I like their worlds and stories, I’m always bored of their game before they finish. And the endings are flat, yes...well, the ones I’ve seen.

I didn’t finish Alan Wake, I was so bored of that game despite enjoying the atmosphere. Evil Within 2 completely shows up Alan Wake, IMO.

Not played Control. Maybe it feels great to play. But everything I’ve seen of it just makes it look like another Remedy game.

I’m glad people like them, though - they’re just not for me.
  • I would say Control has more restraint with the combat encounters. There's a surprising amount of times where you're just able to stroll around and take it in. The feedback and feel of the combat felt chunky and satisfying for me especially with the work they did on physics and visual effects when it all kicks off. I never got tired of throwing shit at folks.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!