Le grand chien 3.0
  • I would imagine Atari and all that would be a fucking nightmare to collate a launch line up for and would consist of a big pile of shite.
  • I seem to remember the ST launch being totally botched anyway. The OS wasn’t even ready in time to include it as firmware, so the earliest models came with TOS on a disk. I think First Word was bundled with it? Maybe Neochrome? Or did Neochrome come along later? I doubt there were any games at launch at all.

Edit: Yep, v0.5 of Neochrome was bundled with the first STs. v1.0 was eventually shared around as public domain, even though it wasn’t really supposed to be.

The ST had a bunch of big firsts though. It was the first home computer with a graphic operating system. First with MIDI ports. First with variable screen resolutions, I think? And Neochrome was the first home graphics software to have a toolbar as we now recognise it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Atari 2600 launch line up consisted of 9 games.

Combat is probably the best known. There was also a Pong cartridge with 50 different modes that was called Video Olympics which even for then was a tad misleading.

The rest consisted of primitive stuff that was prevalent in arcades of the time. There were a lot of timed shooting gallery games and "into the screen" type shooting games. Air Sea Battle was a collection of the former style of game and Star ship of the latter - a particularly primitive game that was dropped soon after.

Indy 500 was a top down racing game that came with its own set of driving controllers (!) There was a Blackjack game too that used the paddles.

However my personal highlight was a game called Surround which was an arcade port of a game called Blockade.  It was essentially a 2 player versus version of Snake with several different options and modes; so it's actually still quite good to play despite the primitive look and ear splitting sounds.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Colecovision launched with Donkey Kong (pack-in), Zaxxon and a few other minor arcade ports such as Lady Bug and Venture.

Made quite a stir at the time - I remember playing DK and Zaxxon in Woolworths and being very impressed.

It wasn't as impressive as the Vectrex's built in Mine Storm game which was an Asteroids port. Another Woolworths time burner...It launched with some nice arcade ports such as Berzerk and Scramble.

No idea about Intellivision however. It just didn't attract me as it wasn't a real arcade port machine. I think its pack in game was Blackjack + Poker so it wasn't exactly a system seller.
  • Combat would have to rank with some of the better launch titles, adjusting for its time. A great showcase for the machine and what games were capable of in that moment. And a damn good laugh.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Atari 7800 launch lineup for 1984 was an impressive-for-the-time 12 arcade ports.

The problem was it was held back for a few years and the NES hit the market so by the time it arrived it was doomed. It actually still sold OK in the US for a while and along with the proposed deal from Nintendo to partner with Atari in the West, presents an enormous of what if.  The 7800 would probably have been dropped but no doubt its later catalogue would have ended up NES bound.
    It was a capable machine however; certainly better at sprite shifting than the NES - it has a solid port of Robotron for example.

Its port of Asteroids is still top notch. And it also got rock solid ports of Ms. Pacman, Centipede, Food Fight, Xevious and Joust. But the appetite for that type of game was gone by '86.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Combat would have to rank with some of the better launch titles, adjusting for its time. A great showcase for the machine and what games were capable of in that moment. And a damn good laugh.

It was a punch in the guts on release. It left a distinct impression on me and probably did more to picque my interest in video games than even the mighty Space Invaders in the arcade did.
  • Combat would get my vote for the 2600, Air Sea Battle was another good one.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Why are we talking about Atari 2600 games?
  • BECAUSE. Reg left us alone for too long and we got distracted.
  • Breath of the wild v Pong.
  • We've done DS, 360 Wii and PS3.

We have PSP, 3DS, Wii U, Vita, XOne, PS4 and Switch to go.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • We've done loads more.

Big dogs -

Super Mario Bros
    Action Fighter
    Tetris
    Revenge of Shinobi
    Ridge Racer
    Super Mario World
    Virtua Fighter
    Super Mario 64
    Power Stone
    Halo
    Super Monkey Ball
    Timesplitters
    Wii Sports
    Warioware DS
    PGR3
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Breath of the wild v Pong.

I dread to think of the reasoning behind that one.

Without Pong, would there even be a BotW?
  • @nick_md was just pointing out the last few from Gen 7.

We've done that gen apart from PSP.

PS3 Was the last one which MotorStorm won.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • poprock wrote:
    BECAUSE. Reg left us alone for too long and we got distracted.

Lol.

We all appreciate the work Reg has put in. Its a great thread.
  • @nick_md was just pointing out the last few from Gen 7.

We've done that gen apart from PSP.

PS3 Was the last one which MotorStorm won.

Ah gotcha, apols.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message

Pong, no question.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message

Pong twice.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's been a bad day. Back tomorrow. Back in formation
  • I’m actually buying a pong console this year. If it ever gets delivered.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I have not forgotten about this thread. Life has been tough the past 2 weeks. Let's get it sorted.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Come and Forza. It’s been too long since I last heard your voice.

XOX.
  • What are we voting for now? Im lost
  • BOTW v Pong.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Pong of the Wild
    Spoiler:
  • *clap clap clap*
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!