Le grand chien 3.0
  • poprock wrote:
    Ahem, the unrated version of Showgirls is an awesome film, easily the equal of Starship Troopers.
    Finally, something I disagree with Kara on. Also, I vote PS4.

You are of course correct, clearly it is far superior to Starship Troopers.
  • Must be a pretty fucking great movie then!
  • It’s pretty much the same right wing power fantasy, but with Vegas dancers instead of sci-fi military mumbo jumbo.
  • Does it trick you into sympathising with the assholes?
  • Pretty much everyone’s an asshole, so yes.
  • There are no visible assholes
  • Technically there’s a bleeding one in the uncut version.
  • I liked reading Andy's post on PS4 but it has a dead giveaway he didnt play No More Heroes on Wii (speaker on the controller was a thing in 2007 - that was the future :P ).

As for NES/PS4, I have no nostalgia for NES as I had an Amiga 500 then. PS4 does some really cool things now (mitigating wait times on installs is pretty considerate design). But unlike in previous gens there aren't a lot of games on it I really feel compelled to play on it. Its more that it has almost every available game on it (indie, AAA).

For me it comes down to which I have played most and thats really yakuza + PES.

Put me down for ps4.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Vela wrote:
    I liked reading Andy's post on PS4 but it has a dead giveaway he didnt play No More Heroes on Wii (speaker on the controller was a thing in 2007 - that was the future :P ).

I did play it, I had completely forgotten it did that. I still don’t remember it doing that, but I do tend to scrub shit games from my brain.
  • Andy's DS/3DS confusion is amusing, but also understandable considering the way Nintendo iterated the console.  DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL.  I'd wager most people not paying attention you would've lost interest by this point.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I voted for Wii twice and was still ignored.....

Anyhoo.

NES vs PS4.  No idea about PS4 as I don't have one, nor am I likely to though it does have some rather splendid shmups so never say never.

I had a NES - got one around 1990.

The NES takes credit for kick starting the video game market in the US and providing a splendidly popular platform for Nintendo and a host of 3rd party devs in Japan.

I really enjoyed the NES. It came at the right time for me. The 8bit micro era in the UK was a shoddy mess. I don't care what anyone says - the games were crap,. Thrown together by hobbyists and it showed. Shit speed, poor design, rubbish difficulty curves. Tape loading and crap floppy disc loading. Crap controllers. I could go on.  It felt like a backwards step from the anicent 2600 that somehow compensated for its simplicity by the fact that the 1st party and premium 3rd party games were developed by masters of the arcade trade.

Even the Amiga and Atari STs were a pile of shit. Who would in all honesty go back to that now? Even I who still plays 2600 games wouldn't give them daylight.

There are 3 games that I'd consider playing again from that era as they were presented at the time. Chuckie Egg, Thrust and Jet Set Willy. Everything else either pushed the underpowered hosts too hard or were just badly designed. 

Good riddance to that era. I put me off gaming. It was a fluke occurance encountering a SMS and a NES via friends that lit the fire again.

The NES even then was an underpowered thing. It had a crap video output and it had a dodgy cart slot.

But it played host SMB 1 & 3.  SMB1 was revolutionary and SMB 3 was an enormous step forward in the genre, so much so it can stand along side SMW, and YI as a trinity of 3 of the finest examples of the genre.

The NES also hosted the creation of some splendid IPs that have since gone on to greater things.

Having said all of that, I don't like the NES enough to vote for it. And since I don't own a PS4 I abstain.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:
    The 8bit micro era in the UK was a shoddy mess. Even the Amiga and Atari STs were a pile of shit.

You da man!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK wrote:
    The NES takes credit for kick starting the video game market in the US and providing a splendidly popular platform for Nintendo and a host of 3rd party devs in Japan.

Re-kickstarting after the crash of 1983

And most of those 3rd party devs were tied into restrictive licensing deals that nearly stifled the industry.

Thank fuck Sega came along.
  • davyK wrote:
    Even the Amiga and Atari STs were a pile of shit. Who would in all honesty go back to that now? Even I who still plays 2600 games wouldn't give them daylight.

I admit that the tech feels creaky and underpowered nowadays – massively so – but there are great games from the era which never appeared on later formats, or were never reissued in versions that actually matched the originals. Like Speedball 2, for instance. Every remaster of it was shit. You need to go back to the source if you want to play it.
  • Dunno about the Amiga. The Amiga 500 was 16bit and many of the games were comparable or even better than their 16bit console versions.

I would happily play the Amiga versions of Desert Strike, Lemmings, Gods, Robocod off the top of my head.
  • Chaos Engine too, played that quite a bit on the Amiga.  Console ports were okay.

Edit:  Ooh, Cannon Fodder too.

Edit: And Sensi.
  • Damn I wish we had a decent Lemmings now.
    Lemmings Maker on Switch would be fucking brilliant.
  • Speedball 2
    Stunt Car Racer
    E.Motion
    Lemmings
    IK+
    Prince of Persia
    Virus
    Populous
    Oids
    Flood
    Rick Dangerous

… there are tons of games that were at their best on the 16-bit home computers. You’d put up with the idiosyncrasies of the systems if you wanted to play those titles again.
  • monkey wrote:
    Monkey Island 2.
    Bingo.
  • Ps4.
    No contest!
  • Leander or Legend of Galahad, that is the question.
  • Hey, I'm a self-proclaimed Nintard but I still voted for a Sega console!

(In the first round.)
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Shocker

Not even an Xbox mention. WHAT IS GOING ON.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • poprock wrote:
    … there are tons of games that were at their best on the 16-bit home computers. You’d put up with the idiosyncrasies of the systems if you wanted to play those titles again.

I want my Super Cars II and Nitro, on top of the ones already mentioned.
  • Ivan ‘Ironman’ Stewart’s Super Off-Road (I thought the ST version was better than the arcade original, thanks to manageable controls).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Re-kickstarting after the crash of 1983 And most of those 3rd party devs were tied into restrictive licensing deals that nearly stifled the industry. Thank fuck Sega came along.

Yup - meant to say re-kickstarting.

Their stifling behaviour was problematic and while profit was the main driver, having control of a console's library after the 2600 debacle was an understandable desire as well.

Sega and Nintendo always kept each other honest - they were good for each other creatively as they spurred each other on. It's why I still miss Sega.
  • davyK wrote:
    Sega and Nintendo always kept each other honest - they were good for each creatively as they spurred each other on. It's why I still miss Sega.

Agreed.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Chaos Engine too, played that quite a bit on the Amiga.  Console ports were okay. Edit:  Ooh, Cannon Fodder too. Edit: And Sensi.

I'll give you Chaos Engine and Gods. Two of my all time favourites. I played them mostly on SNES though, but I'd climb down a bit on dismissing the 16bit computers of the time. Not entirely though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!