Le grand chien 3.0
  • PS2 for me.

PS3 had some good games like Wipeout HD/Fury, Pixeljunk Monsters, the idea of Little big planet (not the reality).

The PS2 had a shit launch year library wise, but GTA3 was probably the starter. I loved it then but dont really have any interest in it now. The lasting quality is found in We <3 Katamari, Gradius V, Yakuza (superior Ps4 ports though), Mark of Kri, Rez (wasnt available on DC locally).

Most of PS2s library has long been surpassed but it would still work fine today as a viable library. PS3 would too, but those machines wouldnt load as soon as you tried an update.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Why does this not have Gamecube, XBox, Gameboy (original/colour), game gear, 3DO, 2600 and Wii U? That would fill out the roster without any controversial additions? If AES is in there, the others are fair game :)

Not a complaint reg, just thought that this might make the grouping a bit easier with 7 more (28 total)
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Reg was stressed when made the thread and it is what it is.
    I think he meant it as a bit of fun so dont take the lineup, head to heads or result too serious.
  • OK. So be it.
  • Is it not still possible to squeeze a few more in, as a few extra preliminary rounds?
  • I’ve no real love for either console. The PS2 crushed the Dreamcast, and the PS3 was inferior to the 360, for me.

I’ll vote PS2, because it eventually had some wonderful games.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • I’m voting Ps2, had many amazing games and was mainly my go to single player console experience.

The PS3 on the other hand, fucking hated it. I had a few games that were awesome, Uncharted series and MGS4 but the online experience was awful, the patching was terrible and compared to Xbox live on the 360 was just a joke.

I have a copy of Gran Turismo that I’ve never played because every time I put the disc in it required an update that first time round was estimated to take “2 hours”, I left it running and went to work, came back 9 hours later and it was still sat at 24%.
    I switched it off and tried again the next day.
    Estimated “6 hours”.

Nope. Fuck you sony.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • The PS3 meant I didn't have to keep a gaming PC to play decent FPSs following the PS2 which, despite amazing 3rd person games like Okami and DMC, started to feel underpowered.
    The PS3 didn't have DMC, but it had Bayonetta. It gave us the soulslike. Gems like Vanquish. There was BF Bad Company 2, Kane and Lynch - drunk multiplayer fodder. It also did open-world properly - another thing the PS2 didn't have the grunt for - and so came Fallout 3 and Skyrim.

I still have my PS3 under the TV, and my daughter's inherited it for LBP, and I'm still replaying the remasters of ZoE and Okami.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • The PS3 didn't have DMC?

It had DmC, DMC 4 and the hd trilogy pack.
  • I dunno about this one. I had both consoles but I didn’t love either of them.

I literally bought the PS3 as a Blu-Ray player. I did also use it for WipeOut HD in 3D. That was fun.

The XMB was horrible though. Sony have never (and still don’t) understand how to build a user interface. It was less of a hassle on the PS2 because that console wasn’t trying to much beyond play games and DVDs

At least I bought some other games for the PS2. So I’ll vote for that.

I think the PS2 was the start of the blockbuster mass-market games industry, really. The OG PlayStation popularised gaming with adults, but the PS2 ran with that and took it into the high street properly.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    Rez (wasnt available on DC locally).

Which region were you in then?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:
    Vela wrote:
    Rez (wasnt available on DC locally).
    Which region were you in then?

PAL, but Ozisoft were the distributors. Absolute shambles. DCs werent even available on launch day (30/11/99)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ah...Aus..  Fair enough.
  • I love* that people are still blaming the PS2 for the Dreamcast’s failure.

* I don’t love it.
  • Yeah, I had a hate hate relationship with both. Like Mark I was bitter that the PS2 hype sealed the fate of the DC and invested in both rivals machines instead.

I bought a PS3 at launch but owning a 360 I rarely used it other than to play the odd exclusive ( Wipeout, Singstar and GT). The controller was truly awful and the updating system was an absolute cluster fuck. I rarely got (and get) much time to game so turning the machine on to be met by a system and game update with an estimated install time of 3hrs sealed it's fate. It went.

I have recently repurchased both (from Escape) with a huge library of games but other than R-Type final and Wipeout HD in 3D neither machine get much love.

Ambivalence
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Andy wrote:
    I love* that people are still blaming the PS2 for the Dreamcast’s failure.

Not solely, but it did play it’s part.

Claiming your console will be 20 times more powerful is pretty easy, when you don’t have to show anything to back it up.

Personally I like all hardware, but the PS2 will always be the console that never delivered what was promised.

But it did have Gradius V, so swings and roundabouts.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    PS2.

I wish consoles were that small again. Talking about the slim here as that's the only I have.

(Nintendo does the hardware sizing pretty well too)
  • PS2 will always be best for killing off the DC.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    People need to stop listening to Elf ITT. Or just generally.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nina wrote:
    PS2. I wish consoles were that small again. Talking about the slim here as that's the only I have. (Nintendo does the hardware sizing pretty well too)

The slim is pretty cute. I have a fat one too and there is something endearing about its ugliness.

Thing about Playstation is though that the consoles don't seem to garner any real love; especially in the retro scene. There don't seem to be (m)any online communities about the older hardware.

Not entirely sure MS consoles are loved in the same way either. Maybe it will happen eventually.  The OldBox is a lovable old workhorse now and the 360 is quite probably the best console ever.
  • I don't have a particular fondness for either.  They both sat on a throne of lies for the first half of their reign.  

PS3 had a far better library of games for my tastes thanks to the indie boom, but the vast majority of those were multiformat and 360 was king of the gen for me.  Flower, Pixeljunk Shooter....um....thought there were more.   From the retail stuff there were the Uncharted games (although 3 was weak at either end), enjoyed Heavy Rain with Mrs. Geeza...um...thought there were more.  Last of Us was quite good.  I'm shocked it's such a sorry state of affairs, got a couple of 'PS3 exclusives' tabs open at work and they're doing nothing for me.  I enjoyed the gameshare 'feature'.  

So it's PS2 for me, even though it was trounced by the competition that gen imo.  Pro Evo up to No.6 were all huge for me, despite being multiplat after no.2 (?).  Ico is a worldie too and the best bits of SotC are up there with the best of that generation.  Frequency/Amplitude, the first Jak & Daxter, the first Sly Racoon.  Slim pickings compared to the competition but a win's a win.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    PS2 will always be best for killing off the DC.

bait
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    The genuine Emotion engine innit.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • PS3 +1

Posted that the get my vote in just in case I had a busy day at work. Seeing as its quite quiet though I can go into my reasons a bit more.

The PS2 gen as a whole was the one that happened to be the one where I went off games for one reason or another. Most of us seem to have gone through this when booze, uni or relationships come about. So the whole gen is at a bit of a disadvantage in that respect. In fact it's the only gen I don't even own a system from anymore.

I also worked at EB/GAME for 4 years that gen, and being around them all day did kinda take its toll too.

Xbox was the system of choice that gen for multiplats so PES and Tiger Woods which I both played tons of were on that instead of PS2, so PS2 came down to exclusives.

There was the following:
    MGS 2 & 3 - both only timed exclusives but I couldn't wait for MG
    God of War
    ICO
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Contra Shattered Soldier
    Gradius V

Outside of that I honestly can't remember much else. As I said I've sold every system from that gen as little of it really resonated with me, and 90% of what did has since been re-released on subsequent systems.

For a bit of context with PS3, I went into that gen leaning towards the 360 and picked that up first. I picked up a PS3 when they were clearing stock of the old PS2 compatible units in Argos. £350 with RR7, Motorstorm, Heavenly Sword and Resistance.

They were all quite poor tbh although I did enjoy Motorstorm. Up until the release of the first Uncharted I can only remember playing MGS4 on it. It was an odd machine and I was getting much more out of the infamous Wii60 combo.

Then I got a RRoD, I was upset. Got it repaired and carried on as I had.

Then I got another RRoD, I was angry.

Got it repaired but at this point I'd picked up a PS3 slim and its here I have to applaud Sony for reinventing/rereleasing a system that only Nintendo with the DSlite has matched. Its a small thing but they even changed the logo from that Spiderman font, everything seemed like a fresh start for it and I was half on board.

Then I got another RRoD, I wasn't upset, I wasn't angry. I was numb. I gave up on the 360.

After that PS3 was my system of choice with the odd Wii/DS exclusive.

So as much as I can appreciate the 360, I have little love for it now and the PS3 was where I played most games that gen.

Some highlights:
    Uncharteds
    God of War III
    Sleeping Dogs
    Mafia II
    DOOM III BFG Ed
    Various Call of Duty games
    The Last of Us
    Bayonetta
    Street Fighter IV
    Capcom Arcade Cabinet
    Resident Evils
    Killzone 3
    South Park The Stick of Truth
    Portal 2
    Tomb Raider
    Bioshocks
    Shadows of the Damned
    Assassins Creeds
    Castlevania Lords of Shadows
    MGS4
    MGSV
    L.A. Noire
    Ace Combat Assault Horizon
    Batman Arkhams
    Red Dead Redemption
    Super Stardust HD

Add to that the following PS2 remakes/re-releases which made it just that bit more redundant for me:
    MGS Collection
    God of War Collection - played II for the first time on PS3
    Sly Collection - played for the first time on PS3
    Jak & Daxter Collection - played for the first time on PS3
    ICO/SotC Collection

So its an easy choice for me personally. Along with the 3DS its the System I've played most post 1990's.

For a system that started off selling at a similar pace to GCN in its first year or so, it shows just how well Sony turned it around for it to outsell the 360 in the end.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Ah fuck forgot about metal gear solid 2 (deffo in my all timer list)
  • One of the things I love about the PS2 is the amount of amazing niche games. Nowadays, these games would probably end up digital, and that's fine. But, for me, part of the appeal was that the PS2 had everything. Not in a cover all bases, kinda way, but more in that it was the first console, imo, to truly have both art-house and mainstream bangers at the forefront. 

Games like Treasure's Freakout, Gregory Horror Show, Ico, SotC, Katamari Damacy, Psychonauts, Gitaroo Man, Fantavision, God Hand, Siren, SMT: DDS, Way of the Samurai, Haunting Ground, The Red Star, R Type Final, Frequency, Vib Ripple, Valkyrie Profile 2, Disgaea...

These games were weird, or bleak, or quirky. 

Yes, the PS2 had Devil May Cry, and PES, and MGS3 and God of War and the rest. So many incredible games. But there's never been a console in history (except possibly the Dreamcast) which had as much love for the outcast losers of the gaming industry.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I feel like the weird and quirky has been part of the scene since the very inception of gaming, and every console has had that sort of thing well represented on it.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I feel like the weird and quirky has been part of the scene since the very inception of gaming, and every console has had that sort of thing well represented on it.

That's possible. I feel they were more at the forefront on the PS2, and certainly more prevalent, but it's entirely possible there's a load of examples elsewhere I've forgotten.
  • I don’t think Jeff Minter even released a game on PS2

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!