THE BIG DOGS
  • Neo Geo
    Never played any of them.

Xbox One

Arguably the best this gen for:
    controller, backward compatibility, a robust catalog subscription service (games with gold, EA Access, game pass,) and third party titles.

Then there's game share, cross play, the adaptive pad, game party, visual recognition and voice command, first to have 4k HDR player and native games.

The unquantifiable times playing Titanfall, Sea of Thieves and five years of FNF including the greatest racing game this, or perhaps any generation: Forza Horizon 2.

So yes I believe it does warrant more than a footnote in console history.

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    DC WINNER

Xbox One / Neo Geo GO

XBox One, because I've actually played it as oppose to emulation long after the Neo Geo was contemporary.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Did anyone actually have a Neo Geo?

Don't remember ever seeing them anywhere.
  • Frosty wrote:
    Did anyone actually have a Neo Geo?

Don't remember ever seeing them anywhere.

I had a CDZ for a few years.
  • Xbox One
    All the reasons have been listed. Also arent half the Neo Geo games on Xbox One now?

Never even been in the same room as a Neo Geo. I genuinely didn't know it existed until maybe 10 years ago.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Xbox One
    All the reasons have been listed. Also arent half the Neo Geo games on Xbox One now?

Aren’t half the Xbox One games available on PC?
  • Yeah but this isn't Xbox One vs PC.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Yeah but this isn't Xbox One vs PC.

Does it matter? If the Xbox One never existed it would make no difference to history as the PC would fill the gap.

Without the Neo Geo we would lose several top franchises and there would have been a big hole in the arcades of the 80’s and 90’s

So for historical importance alone, the Neo Geo beats the Xbox One.
  • That just comes down to how you frame the question.
  • We wouldn't have had any hole in the arcades because we are discussing consoles not arcade machines. Those games would all still have existed in the arcades but just not have had a home console release. Surely?
  • LivDiv wrote:
    That just comes down to how you frame the question.

Whenever anybody asks what is “the best” of anything the answer is going to be subjective, it’s all just a matter of perspective and personal axiology.
  • Neo Geo. Samurai Showdown, Fatal Fury, Garou: KOTW, Nam ‘75, Thrash Rally, Aero Fighters, Magician Lord, Metal Slug, Cyber Lip, Ganryu, Ironclad, Windjammers, Last Resort, King of the Mosters, et al One of the greatest first party line ups of any console ever.
    And, as much as I really like some of those games (Windjammers and Garou hollaaaaaa!), Metal Slug is the only one I would consider anywhere near a big franchise.
  • People approaching this from different perspectives is the only way to make it fun.
  • We wouldn't have had any hole in the arcades because we are discussing consoles not arcade machines. Those games would all still have existed in the arcades but just not have had a home console release. Surely?

Weirdly we arguably might have still had a home version, but probably branded as the Atari Mirai.

Would have made for an interesting alternate history.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    11-8 to Xbox
  • Neo geo at a disadvantage due to games as a service style marketing.
    (gamepass, gold, gold pass ultimate gamepass live super edition ex+alpha.)

Thank God none of that existed on neogeo.
  • That’s just Microsoft rather than the Xbox One itself, though. Are we judging consoles and their games etc, or the services provided by companies?
    "But enough talk. HAVE AT YOU!"
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I'd say the fact that no one has ever seen one is more a disadvantage...
    Hairlo?
  • I saw a Neo geo set up in a shop once. That’s one more time than I’ve seen a Bone retail display ipso facto the Neo geo is one times better.
  • Surely it is everything the console offers.
    The games, the services, the controllers, the console performance etc. Good and bad.
    It all adds to the enjoyment of playing on the console and that is really what defines what is the best above all else.

For myself Gamepass has been excellent. It fits how I want to play games and I have tried and enjoyed games I never would have payed money for.
    I could have played Slay the Spire on my PC or my Switch but I fidnt, I played it on my Xbox One because of Gamepass.

If we pick and choose what counts then I can decide the Dreamcast's keyboard and mouse dont count. Or PSVR doesnt count. Or the switching of the Switch doesnt count. It doesn't make sense as those were a part of people's enjoyment of those consoles.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Fuck Xbox One.

Neo Geo for Windjammers, Metal Slug, Viewpoint, Bust-a-Move , Prehistoric Isle in 1930 et al.

And those controllers.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    11-9
  • TBF not a dig at Reg but they're not really comparable. It's like a nineties Nokia squaring up to a 2017 Samsung. Different era and that.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Just looked at the brackets. Mental to think that Sony won't have a contender in the semi-finals, considering how much of a player they are in the market today.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Yeah but this isn't Xbox One vs PC.

Does it matter? If the Xbox One never existed it would make no difference to history as the PC would fill the gap.

Without the Neo Geo we would lose several top franchises and there would have been a big hole in the arcades of the 80’s and 90’s

So for historical importance alone, the Neo Geo beats the Xbox One.

I reckon in 10 years time we’ll be looking back on GamePass as an industry step-change on the level of online gaming or digital downloads.
    Don't prepare for appointment.
  • GBA gonna massacre Master System.
  • Not in my world. Might be the toughest round.
    Camping in the heart of Dark Bramble

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!