Le grand chien 3.0
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Surely it is everything the console offers.

In which case, the Neo Geo is the only possible choice, because it’s the only one that offered a home experience that was not available on any other home console at the time. Pretty much everything the Xbox One offers is available elsewhere.
  • That's not really what I meant but that's fine. If you want to vote for Neo Geo go ahead.

To flip your point back to how I meant it.
    I can do all those things on my Bone at a price that is affordable and a way that is convenient and conducive to me having a great gaming experience.
    The Neo Geo may have offered the arcade at home but at the prices being charged most opted to go to the arcade.
    So in terms of an experience the Bone wins hands down for me. If you could afford or knew someone who could afford a Neo Geo and a decent spread of games your experience may be different.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Not in my world. Might be the toughest round.

Really? Wow, interesting. It's one of the only no brainers for me.
  • As always with these (fun little) voting things, different people use different metrics to judge by. For example, price and cost has been mentioned by more than one person. Not something that immediately comes to my mind when thinking of whether a console is ‘good’ or ‘bad’, but that’s me. I just think of the games I could play on the system at its time and the hardware itself maybe.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Price is really only an issue with the neo geo. It was ridic. 
    £400 for the console. £200 per game. Five odd Snes games or one neo geo game that you'd never heard of. No contest.
  • Yeah I think these two consoles show the biggest difference in pricing so it is reasonable to comment on it.

£100 for one game on Neo Geo vs £1 for 100s of games on Xbox One (I know it is a sub etc).

The only other console I would flag for price was the N64, despite loving that console it was a negative point that I couldn't play everything I wanted let alone take a punt on something.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:
    Yeah but this isn't Xbox One vs PC.
    Does it matter? If the Xbox One never existed it would make no difference to history as the PC would fill the gap. Without the Neo Geo we would lose several top franchises and there would have been a big hole in the arcades of the 80’s and 90’s So for historical importance alone, the Neo Geo beats the Xbox One.
    I reckon in 10 years time we’ll be looking back on GamePass as an industry step-change on the level of online gaming or digital downloads.

Yep, works great on the PC.
  • £200 per game?!!!! Wtaf?!!
  • I knew the NeoGeo cost a lot. I had no idea it was quite that expensive.
  • monkey wrote:
    Price is really only an issue with the neo geo. It was ridic.  £400 for the console. £200 per game. Five odd Snes games or one neo geo game that you'd never heard of. No contest.

Except the CD and the CDZ exist, which were considerably cheaper.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:
    Yeah but this isn't Xbox One vs PC.
    Does it matter? If the Xbox One never existed it would make no difference to history as the PC would fill the gap. Without the Neo Geo we would lose several top franchises and there would have been a big hole in the arcades of the 80’s and 90’s So for historical importance alone, the Neo Geo beats the Xbox One.
    I reckon in 10 years time we’ll be looking back on GamePass as an industry step-change on the level of online gaming or digital downloads.

Yep, works great on the PC.

But was introduced on the Bone.
  • Imagine the fucking carnage if we had a straight up 360 vs PS4? Reg should have rigged the draw.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Not in my world. Might be the toughest round.

Really? Wow, interesting. It's one of the only no brainers for me.

Easy Master System win.
  • monkey wrote:
    Price is really only an issue with the neo geo. It was ridic.  £400 for the console. £200 per game. Five odd Snes games or one neo geo game that you'd never heard of. No contest.

Still pricey end of things mind.
    £400 console and £50+ for CDs. In 1997 as well, a bit like the Saturn it was too late for this type of game, people had moved on.

More reasonable than the insane cart version but still no fucker had one.
  • nick_md wrote:
    £200 per game?!!!! Wtaf?!!

They were arcade boards in a plastic case iirc. Have you seen the size of them?
  • Yossarian wrote:

Arguably EA introduced the notion of a local subscription service, but they're all basically built on the concept of Gaikai.

They may have improved and popularised the service, but they didn't innovate it.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    Still pricey end of things mind. £400 console and £50+ for CDs. In 1997 as well, a bit like the Saturn it was too late for this type of game, people had moved on. More reasonable than the insane cart version but still no fucker had one.

Compared to CDTV, CDi and 3DO it was a veritable bargain.

and it was released in 1994.
  • Let's not go into those other consoles.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Let's not go into those other consoles.

The 3DO was a good machine, it deserves to be remembered for Return Fire alone.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Let's not go into those other consoles.

The 3DO was a good machine, it deserves to be remembered for Return Fire alone.

Test drive was great too for the time.

• And a great Street Fighter port.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

Arguably EA introduced the notion of a local subscription service, but they're all basically built on the concept of Gaikai.

They may have improved and popularised the service, but they didn't innovate it.

The EA service was also launched on Bone. And both are slightly different to straight-up streaming services.
  • Oh god it's getting serious ABORT ABORT
  • Oh god it's getting serious ABORT ABORT
    And we're still on the fucking NeoGeo...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Oh god it's getting serious ABORT ABORT

It is? Where?
  • Imagine what happens when the DS deletes the PS2 from this!? Riots.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Arguably EA introduced the notion of a local subscription service, but they're all basically built on the concept of Gaikai. They may have improved and popularised the service, but they didn't innovate it.
    The EA service was also launched on Bone. And both are slightly different to straight-up streaming services.

Slightly.

As in it's an evolution of the concept that better fits the available infrastructure.

Still a stretch to call it an innovation on the same level as on-line gaming.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    We’ll see.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!