Sega Mega-Drive Mini: Remember when you promised to buy Sega's next console if they made one?
  • It's selective nostalgia. A six button pad exists and should be standard for it. If they really wanted to evoke the 90s then why not make it with an RF cable instead of hdmi.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    To have a 6 button game on the machine means they should have had the 6 button controller.
    Include the 3 button but leave out any 6 button games.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • It’s confirmed. I am getting one for my birthday!

Well, getting one as a late birthday present, as Sega have delayed the PAL launch. Just like they did with Dreamcast, which was due to launch on my actual birthday day.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    This does look a nice job I have to say.

Is it true that Slap Fight is on it? That makes the box a shmuppers bargain as that's a £200 game.  Super Fantasy Zone is a lovely game too but I have it.

Thunderforce III is top drawer. Better than IV. I have that too though.

Snow Bros has a hefty price tag though. This is looking like my first mini purchase.

super rare Tetris, Darius and Castlevania Bloodlines.....I'm teetering.
  • Any word on hackability yet?

Didn't realise the console has two pads included.  In that case I'd like to revise my opinion to: should ship with one 6 button and one 3 button.  Put the 3 button in front of the other one on the box shot.  Bosh.
  • Non matching pads on a trophy piece? Why don't you just take a shit on it as well you heathen.

Pads. Must. Always. MATCH!
    SFV - reddave360
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Surely you could just "git gud" at SF2 rather than forcing P2 to use a three button pad
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • If you can't re-dizzy them with deft use of the start button mid combo your Guile game is scrub.
  • 3 button is the iconic one so I can see why they went for it. It's a pure nostalgia machine so surely the pad that most people remember is the one to go with. It would be nice to have the choice when ordering. 

I'm interested if they do the tower in Europe. And I'd probably go for Moot's horror mix of 3 button and 6 button pads. One for nostalgia and one for usefulness. But I'm unlikely to ever play two player games in local co-op, especially where a sixer is going to make any difference.
  • Just go for one Japanese machine and one European, pad dilemma solved.
  • monkey wrote:
    3 button is the iconic one so I can see why they went for it. It's a pure nostalgia machine so surely the pad that most people remember is the one to go with. It would be nice to have the choice when ordering. 

Agreed, personally I'd rather the 3 button. I'm not buying this to play Street Fighter II. I'm buying it to hack just like the NES and SNES ones and fill it with top drawer exclusives. I can't think of many MD exclusive games outside of SoR3 that I'd like that used the 6-button pad.

No one seems to be complaining that the PC Engine minis are only shipping with the 2-button pads.

Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Any word on hackability yet?

Everything is hackable!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • SF2 ce on the pce is actually quite good.
    Especially with a 6 button controller.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I can't think of many MD exclusive games outside of SoR3 that I'd like that used the 6-button pad

Garfield: Caught in the Act.
  • Toejam & Earl 2: Panic on Funkotron.  Absolute banger.
  • I'm getting one of these if you can put all the games on it, fuck it.

It can be my permanent caravan console.
  • M Bison made me smash the Mode button on my 6 button pad which meant I never fired a BFG in 32X Doom as it required a cheat code requiring that button to unlock.  Or it was in the game and I never found it, which is far more likely in hindsight.   

It was used for something to do with Golden Axe 2 too, but I can't remember what.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    M Bison made me smash the Mode button on my 6 button pad

And if M Bison told you to jump off a cliff, would you?

Tsk, kids these days....
    SFV - reddave360
  • Got to the final stage of golden axe with my girl yesterday.

She loves the death stx and how there's only 2 (actually 3) sfx.
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    M Bison made me smash the Mode button on my 6 button pad
      And if M Bison told you to jump off a cliff, would you?
    Yeah, you fucking would.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    If Psycho Mantis asked you probably would yeah
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I want one of these but it's the JPN lineup I'm interested in. :(

Depends if this thing is hackable or not.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I thought that all of them had all the same games, you can just switch region on the machine, no?
  • People, the list of games on these things is made irrelevant after days or even hours of hackers getting hold of them.

I really wouldn't place much concern over that.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • It's the pad and unit style I'm most interested in and the JPN one looks the best in my eyes.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Yeah fair play on the aesthetics.

It's a shame we're not getting the white PC Engine over here but at least its not the TurboGrafx-16 variant. I can live with the Core.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I thought that all of them had all the same games, you can just switch region on the machine, no?

I though the JP and PAL game lists were a bit different. If it's hackable it doesn't really matter though.
  • Yeah there's 4
    Jap
    US
    PAL
    Asia

I think Asia has the best lineup but it doesn't matter.

I'll be adding the roms from all regions to mine.
    And micromachines.

Might need to get that multitap and extra pads.

God be with the days of codies j carts
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That's a point - maybe MM won't work in 4 player because of that unless they map those inputs to multitap ports.  That would require a patch to the ROM if the hardware only supports multi-tap. Mega Bomberman works a multitap but MM had the J-cart.
  • Micro Machines 2 had muti-tap support

Turbo Tournament '96 was the J-Cart.

They're both essentially the same game, '96 had some updated courses and the track construction kit but I don't really see that as a deal breaker if it doesn't work.
  • Na, 2 was definitely a J-Cart.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!