ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I love my horror movies but often go a little leftfield so have missed a lot of films that I guess I should have seen. A mate mentioned watching 31 horror movies for October to tie in with Halloween. I only saw it this morning so I'll be watching two today to catch-up

I selected the top rated horror films from metacritic, reversed the order, and will leave a short review each day. Feel free to join in with watching, commenting, leaving your own short reviews, and of course bitching each others thoughts. I would ask that you save thoughts on films until the evening of the day they are scheduled for, just to keep some continuity in case anyone else is gonna join in. Many have had remakes or titles stolen, so have added imdb links for clarity on what movie to watch

1 Oct Taxidermia
    2 Oct Drag Me to Hell
    3 Oct The Witch
    4 Oct Saint Maud Subbed out for It Follows
    5 Oct Dracula: Pages from a Virgin's Diary
    6 Oct Get Out
    7 Oct Under the Shadow
    8 Oct Carrie
    9 Oct The Host
    10 Oct One Cut of the Dead
    11 Oct The Babadook
    12 Oct The Shape of Water
    13 Oct The Wicker Man
    14 Oct The Birds
    15 Oct Hereditary
    16 Oct Jaws
    17 Oct In Fabric
    18 Oct Eraserhead
    19 Oct The Lighthouse
    20 Oct Night of the Living Dead
    21 Oct Alien
    22 Oct Deep Red
    23 Oct Eyes Without a Face
    24 Oct King Kong
    25 Oct Frankenstein
    26 Oct Son of Saul
    27 Oct Repulsion
    28 Oct Werckmeister Harmonies
    29 Oct Invasion of the Body Snatchers
    30 Oct Rosemary's Baby
    31 Oct Psycho
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    A canny list barring a few non-horror films. No one can watch a film a night for a month though Shirley?

Pro Tip: never watch the Pet Semetary remake. Fucking awful.
  • No one can watch a film a night for a month though Shirley?.

I’ve done it every year for the past 22 years, apart from one where I was in Las Vegas.
  • I'm not sure Son of Saul is really a Horror film? It's a holocaust film, and sort of sticks out of the list like a sore thumb. It's horrific, but not really Halloween watching. Not seen Werckmeister Harmonies either, but the bits I saw during Uni made it look more weird than horror.

Also The Lighthouse isn't on general release in the UK until 2020.
    Sorry to piss on your chips with those :D

If you want some recommendations to replace them, then I'll put forward:

Terrified

Possession

Don't Look Now

Also Body Snatchers 70s>>>>> Body Snatchers 50s

Edit: Also, Shape of Water? Not sure that's horror either.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I had Shape of Water and King Kong.

Sorry to immediately pull the thread into "what constitutes a horror film" bullshit by the way.

Anything spooky happen in Vegas, Kara?
  • Tempy wrote:
    Also Body Snatchers 70s>>>>> Body Snatchers 50s.

Damn straight, also whilst not in the same league, I’ve always found Abel Ferrara’s 1993 Body Snatchers to be oft overlooked.
  • Anything spooky happen in Vegas, Kara?

Afraid not, I didn’t lose any money though, which is definitely odd for me.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Shocktober was right there.

hahaha, fucknuggets, I was intent on adding movie-ness so went there instead
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Tempy wrote:
    Also Body Snatchers 70s>>>>> Body Snatchers 50s.

Damn straight, also whilst not in the same league, I’ve always found Abel Ferrara’s 1993 Body Snatchers to be oft overlooked.

It's been on the list for a while, I hear it's quite the thing.
    I had Shape of Water and King Kong.

Sorry to immediately pull the thread into "what constitutes a horror film" bullshit by the way.

Anything spooky happen in Vegas, Kara?

I think Horror is a weird one at times cos when it gets older it can seem quite quaint, but I think initially Kong is horrific, then it kinda transforms over its runtime into something else, famously ending up with man being the monster etc.

• cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    A canny list barring a few non-horror films. No one can watch a film a night for a month though Shirley?

Pro Tip: never watch the Pet Semetary remake. Fucking awful.

I couldn't even do it for one night as we can see, but hey thought it an idea

As for the list, I know we all gonna bitch about lists, but not my list metacritic had spoken, that way I absolved myself of blame and avoided spending 27 days finalising the list then 4 days watching 31 films back to back

• Metacritic is a bit whack for films tbh, Rotten Tomatoes is the better aggregator in that respect: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/top/bestofrt/top_100_horror_movies/

Son of Saul is amazing, but watching it as part of a Halloween thing feels gross.

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Tempy wrote:

I think Horror is a weird one at times cos when it gets older it can seem quite quaint, but I think initially Kong is horrific, then it kinda transforms over its runtime into something else, famously ending up with man being the monster etc.

Yeah, fair play that is actually a pretty horrifying thing. Look at us, our nature, what we do. Same with Night of the Living Dead, sure the ghouls are spooky and whatever but the real horror is what the living are getting up to.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Drag Me To Hell is pretty ridiculous, be warned. Fun if you are in the mood.

Midsommar Director's cut should be on any such list.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Drag me to Hell is best Raimi since Evil Dead 2.
  • I'll definitely watch some horror stuff. Terrified has been on my list for a while.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Drag me to Hell is best Raimi since Evil Dead 2.
    Nor sure if you've watched it lately, it doesn't stand up for me.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret wrote:
    Drag me to Hell is best Raimi since Evil Dead 2.
    Nor sure if you've watched it lately, it doesn't stand up for me.

There’s pills for that.
  • My wife is so scared of Drag Me To Hell that she can barely speak about it. As a result, I've never seen it. What I've heard sounds ridiculous.
  • It’s pure Raimi intense viciousness + body horror + over the top humour. There’s a couple of parts which ride the line right between hilariousness and utter revulsion. Great stuff.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Eden Lake not on the list, *tsk, tsk, tsk*
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I’ve seen only five of those. I can’t watch horror. I can’t sleep.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I have never see original Halloween.

There. I've said it.

The slasher genre doesn't do it for me. But I intend to try and watch it this year. Last year we went to see The Shining projected. The same cinema is running the new sequel this year so will probably watch that.

Also remember us going to see The Exorcist one Halloween when Wifey was due in 3 weeks. Heh.

My top tier are:
    Exorcist
    The Shining
    Rosemary's Baby
    Babadook
    original Omen
    Devil Rides Out
    Poltergeist
    The Others
    The Changeling

I'm sure there are more. Will think

The first 20mins of Jeepers Creepers was superb but then it chickened out. I also enjoyed Heridetary though it went a bit daft just at the very end. Storyline-wise it could have ended the same way , just didn't like the silly way it was presented.

I like 50s and 70s Invasion of Body Snatchers. The 50s version has two cuts ; one with the reasurring ending emoved - it ends with the guy on the motorway. I don't consider either version Halloween material though.

A guilty pleasure of mine is Halloween III : Season of the Witch. Excellent story and a great bad guy. Cheesily done but fun nonetheless.

Exorcist III with George C Scott and Brad Douriff is a worthwhile shout.

Don't Look Now is a good 'un too.

How has Candyman aged? That was bloody creepy but it's been a long time since I watched it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    A favourite of mine over Halloween is The Company of Wolves. It’s positively dripping in atmosphere. I also enjoy an anthology; this year it’ll be Southbound and Trick ‘r Treat.
    Get schwifty.
  • This thread could do with a poll of ten ten horror movies. That would be interesting as my knowledge of this genre is sadly lacking.

Nightmare on elm street, halloween, IT and alien scared me alot as a kid. I do love kurt russell movie The Thing.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Our plan is to watch 10 over the next month because we are shit lords and can't commit.

We are watching an X files a night though which is good.
    We are on season 7 though which is bad. Although last night was the Goldberg Variation which is very good.
    But tomorrow (cinema tonight) is Orison which is Very Bad and ruins some of the best work that show did.

Anyway, we got -

Midsommar (not seen yet)
    The Thing (obv seen)
    The Shining (seen)
    In Fabric (haven't seen, buzzing)
    Unfriended (fuck it y no)
    Hellraised (I've seen flora not)
    The Guest (tenuous but fuck yea)
    It Follows (we love it)
    Terminator (first one fits fo ago)
    Crawl (sounds fun)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Also we saw Alien at the cinema last week with the documentary as a double bill so that doesn't need chased up
  • No one can watch a film a night for a month though Shirley?.
    I’ve done it every year for the past 22 years, apart from one where I was in Las Vegas.

The longest I ever managed was a few months in 2017, when I was planning to do it for a full year, and use it to address some of the gaps in my viewing history. It got tedious at one point (shift work made it hard) so I stopped.

Glad to see the love for Drag Me to Hell in here. I still find it difficult to watch, especially that scene
    Spoiler:

Midsommer disappointed me. Up to a point it was unsettling and shocking, but it made the mistake that so many horrors make of desensitising its own audience over the course of the film, and it was at least an hour too long.
  • Don't really do horror films but I've been thinking about this one quite a lot recently:

Twilight Zone: The Movie.

The one story that sticks in my mind is the kid who could send his immediate family members to a cartoon hell, a la Cuphead.

John Lithgow as the man who got spooked by a gremlin on the airplane wing is another standout moment. But did you know who starred in the original episode:
    Spoiler:
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Just bought the Exorcist on Blu-Ray from CEX. I've only ever seen it once and it was with a bunch of mates from school when they re-released it in the 90s so we just sat there laughing and generally being wee pricks. So I'm looking forward to watching that again with more mature eyes.

I would also like to watch Halloween again as I watched that when I was 11 and it royally fucked me up for years afterwards. Would be nice to put that one to bed!
‹ Previous12345

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!