Halloween Flick-tober
  • I hated Exorcist. Cos I found it way too disturbing.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Can’t watch Jeepers Creepers, something about pedophile directors that really puts me off.
  • Andy wrote:
    The longest I ever managed was a few months in 2017, when I was planning to do it for a full year, and use it to address some of the gaps in my viewing history. It got tedious at one point (shift work made it hard) so I stopped.

1994 and1997 I tried to do a full year with theatrical releases.

I didn’t manage it, crapped out at a little over 200 for ‘94 and 230 for ‘97.

They were both pretty good years for film but damn I saw a lot of shit as well.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The Shape of Water is in no way a horror movie. Swap it for Darkness, a great little Lovecraftian film.
  • I recommend just the OG version of The Exorcist over the version Blatty oversaw, though they are both good. I really should hunt down the sequels, though I've seen the most famous scene in 3 a bunch of times.

I might try Sean McTeirnan's Hundreds of Dead Bodies podcast this October, though I am already 2 days behind and I have a few busy weekends coming up so I might just pick and chose.

His list is definitely not fully horror, but like Calling All Units each episode will probably explain why he picked each film.
  • The Frighteners.

It’s not frightening in the slightest but it is Peter Jacksons best film by a country fucking mile.
  • What was the one with yer man Hopkins and the ventriloquist dummy? Only saw that once as a kid but it left an impression.
  • No horror movie has frightened me more than the bbc2 one off show called Ghost Watch when i was a kid. Fuck me, i had nightmares for weeks.

Not seen it, but isnt paranormal activity supposed to be a scary movie? I know people who have seen it and found it quite scary.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    First one is decent yeah. Then they tore the arse out of it.
  • nick_md wrote:
    What was the one with yer man Hopkins and the ventriloquist dummy? Only saw that once as a kid but it left an impression.

Magic.

Quality film.

And an underrated Richard Attenborough flick.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Grave Encounters is better than any Paranormal Activities.
  • Paranormal activity was so dull it literally bored me to death.
  • Paranormal Activity is ok until you click the routine then it falls apart. It is a gimmick really, a fairground ride.

The best horror movies stick with you, get in your head.

Personally I really like old, slow burning horrors, preferably black and white, filmed on sound stages with matte painted backgrounds and slightly fuzzy audio of the time. That distortion of reality adds a creepiness that all the CG and jump scares could never compare to.

Psycho and Night of the Hunter are my faves.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Like The Eyes of My Mother and November.
  • Like The Eyes of My Mother and November.

Will give them a go. Cheers
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    List isn't changing, I went and got links, so that was moderate effort

Taxidermia
    Well we're off to a fine start here, Eastern European fuckedupery but in no way a horror. Plenty of gore very little in terms of suspense, peril or even jump scares. It's a black comedy with no reason to be on the list, except for gore of which there's plenty, and it does inspire body horror style disgust at many points

Three generations of a family, starting with a wartime wanker, literally, he'll wank anywhere, through a competitive eater, and all the vomit that entails, ending with a taxidermist with huge commitment to his craft, and whose narcissism does match his forebears, if only eventually. A social commentary on the largesse of the baby boomers, and the current generation reliance on technology to live their lives through, probably

I don't claim to have understood everything that was going on, but didn't totally trust my translation, as it obfuscated up my favourite joke in the film about a fellow competitive eater choking to death on foie gras. So in all I'm glad I've seen it, I think the final few minutes are unneeded as an exposition overkill but maybe it's intentionally calling the audience stupid. Funny, yes; uncomfortable, certainly; essential, not really; horror, not in my world [6] 

edit: actually 6 was harsh, but that was as much to not belonging on this list, as film in and of itself it gets an 8 I think
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Another example of simple, pretty low budget scares. In a movie famed for its exceptional effects this is what scares me most, what gets into my soul.
    Spoiler:
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    yeek
  • No love for The Blair Witch? The originator of the 'found footage' genre. I can watch it cos its not that scary. Pretty ground breaking at the time.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Watched Paranormal Activity the other week.  Wasn't brilliant but I enjoyed it more than the likes of The Conjuring/Insidious.
  • I saw Taxidermia way back when I was... 20 or so, I remember liking it.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I was surprised I hadn't seen it already, it's the sort of thing I'd cross paths with all the time. The opening act reminded me of Sauna, especially the bath and it being the centre of the people's lives, and made me hanker to rewatch it. Sauna is a bloody good wartime horror movie that would have been a much better fit for this list
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • This thread is making me want to play some horror games again. Which i have no time for. Though HD remakes of System Shock 2, Silent Hill 2 and Manhunt would be awesome.

Still need to get around to finishing off outlast, alien isolation and amnesia series. Maybe i can try to finish one of them for halloween.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Blocks100 wrote:
    No love for The Blair Witch? The originator of the 'found footage' genre. I can watch it cos its not that scary. Pretty ground breaking at the time.

Amazing film
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    No love for The Blair Witch? The originator of the 'found footage' genre.

Cannibal Holocaust was way before.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Drag Me to Hell
    Not the first time I watched this, but not been back to it for a long while. I'd be intrigued to see what, if anything, I said about it first time around, though I think I either watched it with company or in amongst other films and it got a bit lost. The chase aspect has been ruined a bit by exposure to the Ginosaji, which has made almost all "slow chases" redundant. But you get into the main characters head quite easily and her own inner conflict is laid pretty bare. At least this one actually should be on the list [8]
  • Why is Event horizon not mentioned??
    I’m gonna give that a watch on Friday.
    The exorcist is one that gets me every single time, saw it as a kid and it scarred me for life. All I had to do was hear tubular bells and I wouldn’t sleep for a week.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Funnily enough, I saw The Exorcist when I was about 14 and I didn't think it was scary at all. It's maybe the only horror that has got progressively scarier the older I get. Now it scares the shit out of me.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!