Halloween Flick-tober
  • It still scares the shit out of me too but I love it, I’ve seen it so many times and each time it works for me. It’s excellent
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Kow wrote:
    Funnily enough, I saw The Exorcist when I was about 14 and I didn't think it was scary at all. It's maybe the only horror that has got progressively scarier the older I get. Now it scares the shit out of me.
    Yeah, I'm much the same.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK wrote:

My top tier are:

Exorcist
    The Shining
    Rosemary's Baby
    Babadook
    original Omen
    Devil Rides Out
    Poltergeist
    The Others
    The Changeling

I love this list, pretty similar to mine but the original Blair Witch would make it.  Will have to watch Devil Rides Out as I've never seen it.  The Changeling is superb.  

Edit: Actually, I'd probably put The Shining, Blair Witch and The Omen '76 in an all-genre top ten.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Devil rides out is more a romp than horror. It is Hammer's finest hour by a long shot. Some aging effects and dialogue but it is immensely entertaining.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • God I loved that film when I was a kid. Amazing to think it's never had a modern re-make.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    There was great series of made for tv Hammer films in the early 80s. They were actually probably terrible but they scared me witless at the time.
  • Kow wrote:
    There was great series of made for tv Hammer films in the early 80s. They were actually probably terrible but they scared me witless at the time.

Was that different to Hammer House of Horror?

Which was a horror anthology series with hour long episodes, because I used to love watching those, the Silent Scream episode with Peter Cushing and Brian Cox was awesome.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I honestly don't remember but they might have been an hour long yeah. There was one about a witch, one about a cursed idol, one about a haunted mansion, one about an evil doppelganger, one about a ghoul. I still remember the stories quite well.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Oh and a werewolf one that nearly made me jump out of my skin.
  • Come with g if you want to live...
  • Davy asked how Candyman has aged earlier, I'd say pretty well. The score definitely helps, it's one of the better 90s horror films for me.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    The Forbidden, the short story by Clive Barker on which it’s based, is also a fab read.
    Get schwifty.
  • If this discussion is now broadening out to encompass scary TV shows that deserved to be re-watched over Halloween, who among us remembers Sapphire and Steel?

There was an episode that featured our supernatural duo battling foes with no faces from a parallel universe. Freaked me out as a kid.

The series also broke with tradition by having its two lead characters falling foul of the other-dimensional beings they'd be battling throughout the series. There was no 'happy ending'

As much as I love todays Stranger Things and the like, they simply don't have the balls to tread where S&S went.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Sapphire and Steel managed to be scary without ever making an ounce of sense. Never understood who they were or what they were doing.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    The man with no face and the animal blob in the wall of the house secured a few nightmares for little me back in the day. I have them all on DVD and went through them last year. Can confirm Kow is absolutely right. They make next to no sense.
    Get schwifty.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I recall Chimera scaring the crap out of me as a kid. Hmm, wonder if it's available anywhere, Charles Dance shagged a monkey and the creature wore Krueger's jumper
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard wrote:
    I recall Chimera scaring the crap out of me as a kid. Hmm, wonder if it's available anywhere, Charles Dance shagged a monkey and the creature wore Krueger's jumper

I thought that was First Born.

Or does Charles Dance have a thing for shagging monkeys?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Could have been, I was only about 6 or 7, I've had a beer since then

edit: Seems I conflated two shows, it wasn't only clothes where I got the own brand knock offs a couple of years after they were cool. I was thinking of this, see the Krueger nod with the jumper

dhdy8VqL.jpg
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    There was a thing on in the 70s called Children of the Stones, set in a village near a stone circle. It was exceptionally creepy. Think it's all on YouTube.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    When it comes to telly though, it can't have been just me that found Zelda to be the scariest thing on the planet
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    The Witch

Went in completely cold, and I wish I'd taken a blanket with me. Firstly for warmth as the on-screen winter was as pervading as it was bleak, secondly for comfort because this isn't a film that throws in a jump scare to relieve you from the tension. It's less a wire being pulled to breaking point than a cello string being played so the tensions ebb and flow leaving you both longing and fearing for the next time the bow is pulled across it

A family in exile already scraping a meagre living from the woods, with winter a very unwelcome and unprepared for guest knocking at the door. Exiled by the Puritans for being too religious and you have a clue what to expect. The eldest child a daughter already bored of helping to run a household under a mother who seems jealous of her youth, the next a boy trying to learn how to be a man from a father who doesn't seem to know, then the twins being carefree children who surprisingly haven't learned to be seen and not heard

What follows is symbolism on top of myth on top of ritual. The film is packed full of references to satanism and I guess a lot of that might be lost on a modern audience, especially now that religion is less of a part of peoples lives than a generation or two ago. The film is in an almost TV ratio which makes the woods imposing and tall, and whilst much is shot indoors you can see many scenes laid out with that extra height in mind, detail is something the director definitely a fan of

It's a shame there was no witch, but bleak is a synonym for absence, and the film aims for and hits bleak very very well. Reminds me of a lot of Eastern European films in it's starkness, and that's something I can get behind. Performances were fantastic, would be very easy to overact a little and turn it into a pastiche, or worse a sods opera, and considering 2/3rds of the cast must be below 20 that's really quite amazing. I'm really glad I watched that, and will dig it out again in the future at some point [8]
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Nailed that hard cock, bravo.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I don’t know if I missed something with The Witch but I found it trite, obvious and ultimately dull.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I thought The Witch was excellent.  Will definitely be watching again this month.
    Get schwifty.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I don’t know if I missed something with The Witch but I found it trite, obvious and ultimately dull.

Might that be a pacing thing? I find I can sometimes be really sensitive to that, and sometimes not. I think one of the things that annoyed me about Taxidermia is that it didn't move quite right for me. The trite and obvious part is easier and I think intentional, I'm sure that if I'd liked the film less I might well have said the same, but a few things about it drew me in, so instead I talk of how it's ritual and myth, all of which we've heard/seen before, bu they are to evoke that atmosphere

edit: not telling you what to think, just exploring what you said, and how I say those things sometimes
  • Although there were no jump scares, I thought that The Witch did regularly relieve the tension, which utterly undermined it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I really liked the Witch - moody, strange and open to interpretation.
  • Jacob's ladder. The main inspiration to the silent hill games.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I enjoyed The Witch. Thought the bleak setting was spot on.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    Jacob's ladder. The main inspiration to the silent hill games.

One of my favourite films of all time.
    Get schwifty.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!