Are you a prick (to buy for)?
‹ Previous12
  • A rambling musing sort of thread for a [insert local time here].

I'm the guy in my family who no one knows what to get at birthdays and Christmas and shit.

I get vouchers, and cash. This is fine.

My missus has done well over the years finding stuff some years, and other years I've occasionally had something specific that I could tell her about.

But since the steady move to streaming over the years, it's become harder and harder to think of stuff I want.

I tend to want things just so and will research etc. So, for instance, headphones this year, ones I really want are stupid expensive, but the ones I got needed me to go and test and hunt etc.

I stream all music and the few things where I'd want a physical thing, like vinyl, it'd be a pain to find the albums in question going into most stores.

Games are all DL on pc.

I have a good laptop, so there's nothing really to get there. Short of a new better laptop, which isn't happening.

Books are kind of an angle, but even then, I tend to get picky and manage to find authors who aren't easily available. (Adolph Reed being current pain.)

Trying to think of tech curios that might be fun, struggling.

Clothes are tough because I'm a fucking unit.

I dunno, this isn't in any way a complaint, but I figure there'll be a number of you with a similar thing going on, what are some things you'd think of as a gift for yourselves if you were struggling for suggestions?

*peak first world problems.*

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Just buy me good intoxicants.
  • At our work secret Santa I often get vouchers because I'm teetotal.  Once booze is off the table folk struggle.
  • I just ask for vouchers nowadays. Amazon or nintendo eshop etc.
  • This is me.

Subscriptions to media.
    Gave up asking for clothes because instead of buying me stuff similar to what I normally wear I get "well it would be nice if you wore mauve sometimes".
    I live in plain black t shirts and jeans, anything else is a waste of money buying me.

It resulted in me receiving tat a few years running. I appreciate receiving gifts of course but I would rather people didnt waste money on stuff I'm going to give to a charity shop once enough time has passed that I think they wont mention said tat.

A couple of years ago I made an Amazon wishlist and shared that with anyone who threw out the "what do you want for xmas?" Question.

My parents got me one thing off the list and a load of tat again because apparently suprise tat is better than stuff I want.

Now I ask for very specific things that end up as odd xmas presents but at least I want them. Mainly ends up being kitchen stuff. So had a couple of Global knives, coffee grinder, food processor etc.
  • Oh god. I forgot about the period of receiving those experience day things.
    I sound like a right cunt here because I know some would love them but I fucking despise experience days.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I bought B an air balloon trip once, that was pretty great.

Now I don't make any money and I'll just put extra love (msg) in his birthday dinner.
  • I don’t care what people get me anymore. I usually buy what I like for myself so anything else is a bonus. And I’ve got enough pointless shit I didn’t need in the first place.

Like Liv, I hate clothing cause I always end up having to change it and it’s usually someone else’s idea of what they’d like me to wear rather than anything I’d actually pick out for myself.

As a child I dreaded and feared my Dad’s birthday & Xmas gifts as they’re always utterly terrible. Nowadays I just find it amusing and endearing. In fact his atrocious present is usually something of a highlight.

“Jumbo pack of AA batteries? You’re right, they are always handy! Awesome, thanks Dad”

“It’s a calendar! Of Dumbarton and surrounding areas! Awww, that’s great!”
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Nina wrote:
    I'll just put extra love (msg) in his birthday dinner.

:)
  • Booze isn't a bad idea, but again, there's nothing super snazy that I hammer.

Good restaurant is sometimes nice.

For a bigger birthday a while back missus got us a table at Attica. (see chefs table ep on Netflix) that was awesome.

I do kinda dig the endearing bad ones too though.

In laws just got me a book on how to make money online. It was hilariously bad. Missus read a age and immediately put it in the bin, literally. Before I even opened it. Lolol.
  • I did Amazon wishlist one year too. But it's just filled with books now. And I'm overflowing. My book pile o shame looks like my steam games library.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Thinking about this, I think the worst present B got was when his mom decided she really wanted to buy him something for his first birthday in the US. And instead of doing the logical thing and buying something practical (socks or something) via amazon, she decided to send cookies. Chocolate cookies. That were left in front of our door for the whole day, right in the heat. They looked like very weird cookies when we opened them.
  • I don’t get any presents for Christmas and birthdays anymore, since I told everybody to stop, takes the stress out of it all.
  • I’m quite simple in that I put stuff on an amazon wish list and no fucker buys me any of it.
    Instead i get lots of random stuff and a new shirt and socks from my in laws every year.

Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • That wasn’t meant to sound ungrateful, I’m happy to get anything really and I never buy underwear and socks as I wait for Christmas to come so I can replenish the drawers
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I'm calling an amnesty on accusations of selfishness or lack of gratitude.

Look at my op, ya'll fine.

;)
  • I can be a bit of a prick with pressies sometimes. A few years ago I had my wife's family over for Christmas dinner. My dad prefers to stay on his boat for Chrimbo, but he sends presents down. At the opening stage I went for my dad's first. "A Paddy Cerand autobiography! Just what I always wanted, a book written by a retired footballer I've never seen play that he probably picked up in a charity shop". Amirite? Next up: the first of three gifts from the mother in law, who was at hand to watch me open. A Dennis Law autobiography, with 50p written in pencil on the first page. My wife thinks the way I tried to overcompensate by loving the other two gifts was worse than the initial facepalm.

Edit: Oh God, I've just remembered that one of the quotes was 'oh wow we haven't got any silver!' when I opened a heavy box with a picture of silver cutlery and tablewares on the front. It was Abigail's Party level place mats, with pictures of silver things on rather than containing any actual silver things. It's partly not my fault, she's shocking at buying presents.
  • Yeah, I never have any idea. I just don't want much. Games. Books. Clothes, basically. But only specific kinds, of course. If any other needs occasionally pop up, chances are I deal with them at the time.

And I like thinking of things to buy for others that they might not know about, or mentioned a while ago, but I always think if anyone's doing that for me they'd have nothing to go on.

But then I've had some top stuff from Secret Santa here over the years. Last couple of times for example there was the Persona 5 artbook and the boardgame Patchwork that we ended up playing quite a bit. Not things I ever would've thought to get myself. So you never know.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Jesus butt plugs for everyone.
  • Actually thinking about what JonB said, my best presents over the last few years have actually been from my Secret Santa here! I do genuinely love a surprise, especially when it’s been well thought out and the nature of the stalking on here means they’ve been consistently excellent!

Last year’s SS actually put most of my families efforts to shame, even my wife felt bad lol!
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'm easy. Games or whisky or a book. You can't go wrong if you get me one of those.

Good work helping out all the secret Santa's face, I bet this thread is a god send for them.
  • I’m quite simple in that I put stuff on an amazon wish list and no fucker buys me any of it.
    Instead i get lots of random stuff and a new shirt and socks from my in laws every year.

This is exactly why i ask for vouchers nowadays. My brother in law is easy to buy for he just wants fifa ultimate team vouchers or whatever they are for every birthday and xmas.
  • I'm easy. Games or whisky or a book. You can't go wrong if you get me one of those.

Good work helping out all the secret Santa's face, I bet this thread is a god send for them.

That just occured to me as well. The secret santa thing
  • I read on Kindle, but always appreciate an actual book. Particularly from someone I haven't read before but is supposed to be excellent, that I haven't got around to etc.

I usually ask for a game that I haven't picked up yet which is single player but is now cheaper, last year I got Spider-Man and God of war.

Sometimes I'll ask for a work shirt or tie.

This year I have a few needs, like a wallet, work bag, a water bottle... I'll hold off buying so someone has something to get me!
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I think I'm gonna ask Santa for a rice cooker this year.
    Nearly bought one the other day but I can wait.
  • Me too!
  • Rice cooker christmas bros!
  • Woo!
  • I’m gonna ask Santa for a nice tactical kit bag and some Kevlar lined gloves.
    And some whisky. Always appreciate a good bottle of whisky.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I’m gonna ask Santa for a nice tactical kit bag and some Kevlar lined gloves. And some whisky. Always appreciate a good bottle of whisky.

Hmm, I recall getting pulled up once years back being told that my paddy-bashers were illegal, the contents of my blood made me decide not to argue the point. I guess times have changed
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!