GOTY 2019 & GOTD 2010-2019 - Full results on Page 1
  • I really enjoyed a plagues tale. The quality of games that small indys can put out really is amazing.
  • Would have had the top 2 the other way around but interesting list I really wanted to love astral chain but it just tried to much and became unfocused imo

I know what you mean about Astral Chain, but, by the time it became unfocused I finally grasped the combat really well and thought 'fuck this is great'. So it kinda offset that by the fact as I'd learnt how to have a blast with it.
  • My favourite games of the decade:

2010: Red Dead Redemption
    2011: Skyrim
    2012: The Walking Dead
    2013: Bioshock Infinite
    2014: The Evil Within 
    2015: Batman: Arkham Knight
    2016: Firewatch 
    2017: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    2018: Red Dead Redemption II
    2019: Resident Evil 2
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    2010 - Mass Effect 2
    2011 - Dead Space 2 (Saints Row 3 close)
    2012 - most difficult one! Persona 4 Golden nicked it.
    2013 - Gone Home
    2014 - 80 Days
    2015 - Super Mario Maker
    2016 - Final Fantasy XV
    2017 - Nier Automata
    2018 - Celeste
    2019 - Apex Legends
  • Mass Effect 2 was so good. Dead Space 2 yup yup.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • I sort of really dug mass effect 2 but I think in retrospect the thing got a better emotion because it was riding the wake of a con.

• Here’s mine:

2009- bayonetta
    2010 - nier
    2011 -super Mario 3D land
    2012 - spelunky
    2013 - Stanley parable
    2014 -danganronpa
    2015 - splatoon
    2016 - the witness
    2017 - breath of the wild
    2018 - tetris effect
    2019 - fire emblem three houses
  • 2009: Batman: Arkham Asylum
    2010: Mass Effect 2
    2011: Rayman Origins
    2012: Walkings Dead
    2013: GTA V
    2014: Titanfall
    2015: Mortal Kombat X
    2016: Titanfall 2
    2017: Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    2018: Smash Bros Ultimate
    2019: Mortal Kombat 11

So now that has been narrowed down it makes it easier to pick a game of the decade I guess.

There are a few there that my brain tells me are the obvious choice. In the year my choice came out there were also games that my brain said were correct that I didnt choose (Skyrim etc).
    I have to go with my heart though and it is Rayman Origins.

In 2011 I was a year into my first career job. I was living with 2 workmates who were now close mates. Our house was massive but crap so it was the party house for New Years, Halloween etc or just drinks. People would regularly come to ours from work on a Friday for beers and games.

One Friday there were six of us getting slowly pissed playing Rayman to an ever decreasing level of competence. So many hilarious moments trying to coop while slapping each other, pass the pad each level/fail. I remember my face aching from laughter. It wasn't that long we were all together, about a year or so later we all got made redundant and went our separate ways, keeping in touch but never really having that closeness anymore.

Unfortunately one of the two housemates passed away a year or two after that but playing Rayman with him and the other guys will always be a great memory of him for me.

So Rayman gets a boost up from strong memories and great circumstances but I think a lot of our favourite media does.

Game of the decade
    Rayman: Origins
  • Nice.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Game of the Year
    1. Wreckfest
    2. Ape Out
    3. The Touryst
    4. Mechstermination Force
    5. Lonely Mountains: Downhill

The rest of 2019’s games that I have played (to varying degrees): Active Soccer 2019, American Fugitive, Asphalt 9: Legends, Astral Chain, Double Cross, Fifty Words, FutureGrind, Hard West, Immortal Planet, The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order, Mini Trains, My Memory of Us, New Star Manager, REKT, Sayonara Wild Hearts, Space Pioneer, The Stillness of the Wind, Super Mario Maker 2, Trials Rising, Untitled Goose Game, Yoshi’s Crafted World. I also bought, but have not even opened, Selma and the Wisp.

Best Sound Design
    1. Ape Out
    2. The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening
    3. Super Mario Maker 2

First place is a given, really. For Zelda, a lot of the heavy lifting is done by the pre-existing melodies, but the orchestration is lovely. I realised, as I watched an entry about the game in a recent list article about remakes, how much I had enjoyed things like the music you hear when facing bosses. Mario Maker gets in purely for the self-describing noises different elements make as you place them in your level.

Best Visual Design
    1. Ape Out
    2. The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening
    3. The Touryst

Really difficult round, this. Various games I like looking at: Mechstermination Force, Yoshi’s Crafted World, FutureGrind, REKT, Immortal Planet, Space Pioneer, My Memory of Us. I’ll include Astral Chain, but for the design rather than the execution.

Best Writing
    1. Mechstermination Force
    2. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order
    3. The Stillness of the Wind

Nothing really jumped out at me for this round. The writing in MF is knowingly daft. MUA3 wasn’t the most exceptional story, but it was perfectly serviceable. I haven’t played much of Stillness, but I like what it’s doing.

Best Character
    1. Goose
    2. Ape
    3. RIFT Agent Zahra Sinclair (Double Cross)

No individual character has really rocked my world this year. I struggled to populate this one.

Best Ongoing Game
    1. Stardew Valley

I confess, I haven’t tried the 1.4 update, it’s not available on Switch yet, but there’s loads in there.

Best game you played this year that didn't come out this year
    1. Marvel’s Spider-man

Insomniac are an incredible studio. What a game.

Game of the Decade
    1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    2. Marvel’s Spider-man
    3. No Man’s Sky
    4. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
    5. Sleeping Dogs
    6. The Last of Us
    7. Uncharted 4
    8. Stardew Valley
    9. Mad Max
    10. ARMS

If I think about this too much it’ll drive me insane.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    2009: Batman: Arkham Asylum 2010: Mass Effect 2 2011: Rayman Origins 2012: Walkings Dead 2013: GTA V 2014: Titanfall 2015: Mortal Kombat X 2016: Titanfall 2 2017: Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2018: Smash Bros Ultimate 2019: Mortal Kombat 11 So now that has been narrowed down it makes it easier to pick a game of the decade I guess. There are a few there that my brain tells me are the obvious choice. In the year my choice came out there were also games that my brain said were correct that I didnt choose (Skyrim etc). I have to go with my heart though and it is Rayman Origins. In 2011 I was a year into my first career job. I was living with 2 workmates who were now close mates. Our house was massive but crap so it was the party house for New Years, Halloween etc or just drinks. People would regularly come to ours from work on a Friday for beers and games. One Friday there were six of us getting slowly pissed playing Rayman to an ever decreasing level of competence. So many hilarious moments trying to coop while slapping each other, pass the pad each level/fail. I remember my face aching from laughter. It wasn't that long we were all together, about a year or so later we all got made redundant and went our separate ways, keeping in touch but never really having that closeness anymore. Unfortunately one of the two housemates passed away a year or two after that but playing Rayman with him and the other guys will always be a great memory of him for me. So Rayman gets a boost up from strong memories and great circumstances but I think a lot of our favourite media does. Game of the decade Rayman: Origins
    It's a really joyous game. I must try and get it out and play it again.
  • XOMuggins wrote:
    My favourite games of the decade: 2010: Red Dead Redemption 2011: Skyrim 2012: The Walking Dead 2013: Bioshock Infinite 2014: The Evil Within  2015: Batman: Arkham Knight 2016: Firewatch  2017: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2018: Red Dead Redemption II 2019: Resident Evil 2

So my Game of the Decade is tough for me, as the last ten years has seen video games fully mature into the medium that I always hoped they would become, *especially* in terms of storytelling and how to make the interactive component bring a sense of immersion not available anywhere else. There are many games that I loved that got pushed out of my list above, including some great smaller games like Gone Home and What Remains of Edith Finch and Her Story and Journey. My Game of the Decade is between two games: Bioshock Infinite and Red Dead Redemption II. I know I have told this story before, but when I had my breakdown some years back, Irrational's game was heavily involved in my recovery, including intervening - as it felt then - in an attempt to end my life. It is a game that still brings me hope, that allows me to confront the bad things in my head and process it in a way that brings relief and joy. I still play it today when I feel low or that things are getting worse. 

It's hard then for me to say that as much as I adore Infinite the last year has shown me that Red Dead Redemption II is my favourite game of the last ten years. I am a big Westerns fan but even if I wasn't, I would still love what Rockstar did here. As with Infinite, this game has been so therapeutic for me, especially as my illness often means I can't leave the house as much as I would like. Just exploring this world would be enough to name it my favourite game, but on top of that there is a story that easily stands beside the greatest films in the genre. I love the character of Arthur and helping him reach that redemption has made me cry more than a few times since I got the game last year. Playing it is like meditating for me. I have finished it ten times and I am still finding little details in the world: most recent one is finding a post carriage with loads of letters that let you uncover the mystery of Emerald Ranch. Anyway, it's been a big part in helping me continue my recovery and I am in awe of how well written/executed it is. It's a world I could live in, forever.
  • Great list Andy. It reminds me that I must get a hold of No Man's Sky when I get my PS4 back.
  • Game of the Year
    1. Outer Wilds
    2. Fire Emblem Three Houses
    3. Untitled Goose Game
    4. Astral Chain
    5. Baba is You

Best sound Design
    1. Outer Wilds
    2. Untitled Goose Game
    3. Astral Chain

Best visual Design
    1. Untitled Goose Game
    2. Astral Chain
    3. Ace Combat 7

Best writing
    1. Outer Wilds
    2. Baba is You
    3. Fire Emblem Three Houses

Best character
    1. Solanum (Outer Wilds)
    2. Goose
    3. Edelgard (Crimson Flower path).

Best ongoing game released before 2019 (anything that received further support, a major expansion/update etc. this year)
    1. Captain Toad (Special Episode)

1. Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom

Game of the Decade
    1. The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild
    2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
    3. Yakuza 0
    4. The Wonderful 101
    5. Animal Crossing New Leaf
    6. Outer Wilds
    7. Pikmin 3
    8. Fire Emblem Awakening
    9. Sin and Punishment Star Successor
    10.Bravely Default

(note: one entry per franchise)
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm absolutely sure it's my own fault and I've fucked up on outer Wilds. I played it for an hour and I walked around a charming village, then took off to space and had wonky mechanics , died and then gave up. Again, I'm sure it's me, but I should totally go back right?
  • All of that is normal.
  • Yes. Even if you don't click with it it's worth a few hours finding out. If it does it's quite an experience.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I died before I even found my space ship. Really should get back to it, but it went straight into the "it's nice enough but about seventeen other things are catching my eye right now" pile ages ago.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Yes. Even if you don't click with it it's worth a few hours finding out. If it does it's quite an experience.
    Yeah, I don't regret the hours I spent with it even though I didn't want to finish it. At least it's worth visiting the major planets once or twice.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So I shall go back
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    But not today as I am at my parents
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I'm absolutely sure it's my own fault and I've fucked up on outer Wilds. I played it for an hour and I walked around a charming village, then took off to space and had wonky mechanics , died and then gave up. Again, I'm sure it's me, but I should totally go back right?
    Snap
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • I don’t seem to have played any games that have been released this year, which kind of limits how many categories I can vote in.

Game of the Year

Best sound Design

Best visual Design

Best writing

Best character

Best ongoing game released before 2019 (anything that received further support, a major expansion/update etc. this year)

1. Beat Saber

Game of the Decade
    1. Portal 2
    2. Horizon Zero Dawn
    3. The Last of Us
    4. Super Mario Galaxy 2
    5. Mass Effect 2
    6. Batman Arkham City
    7. Resogun
    8. Spec Ops: The Line
    9. Dead Space 2
    10. Battlefield Bad Company 2
  • >>Spec Ops (no.8 )?
    Yes, thanks. Will edit the list to correct the title.
  • Fuck was Portal 2 this decade? If so then that is an automatic inclusion in my list.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • That's a good ten and proboubly very close to my own.
  • My 10 is pretty much locked in. I don’t think I’ll have time to play ME2 and Portal 2 before deadline as they’re 2 games that are on people’s lists a lot and I do really want to play them. Not sure if they would trouble my 10 though. Hard to find space.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • What's the ruling on standalone DLC that doesn't necessarily require a copy of the original game?  Wondering about Shovel Knight: King of Cards.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!