GOTY 2019 & GOTD 2010-2019 - Full results on Page 1
  • Djornson wrote:
    Not enough time on your hands anymore? :)

I've been catching up on old games tbh especially the free stuff from psn. Finished Nier Automata this year at long last. A bit of Monster Hunter, Detroit, Elite Dangerous and now Bloodborne. Blood and Truth is my newest game thanks to me getting my PSVR.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Can we have a Review of the year for a game and give the award to Silke please? His Disco Asylum review (on that thread) is very eloquently written.
  • I thought Silke was a she.
  • She is indeed.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • My bad had no idea. I thought for years raizel was a chick.
  • Raz is the hottest chick.
  • I'm finding choosing this year's goty very very difficult. The choices are:

Destiny 2 Forsaken, which I played for a few weeks before losing interest.

Gears of War 5, which I bothered to download for hours - haven't played it, but the fact that I did that is a testament to the quality this game probably oozes.

FM19, which I played to death even though it is boring af and I hate myself every minute when on it

Honourable mention to the Outer World which, being on gamepass (which I got for 2 quid when it turned out I had 25 quid in credit on the bono), I have thought a little bit about actually switching the xbone on to DL it for a bout a week. I might even do that today.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've kind of got things in a rough order. I'm obviously waiting til Kojageddon but assuming that's going to be a clusterfuck I think I have my stuff sorted. Only discussion is whether I give a phone game a place.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Goty for me has been fairly unchanged and is likely easy to Gus's.
  • Mine is easy to Gus’s too. Very easy choice this year. Nothing beats Sekiro.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Sekiro is my biggest disappointment of the year. First FromSoftware game i didnt complete and traded in.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Sekiro is my biggest disappointment of the year. First FromSoftware game i didnt complete and traded in.

Same.
    (except the trade in part becouse like a numb cunt I was day one digital)

It was just too much of repetitive stuff,
    No trying anything differently just block and parry till you win.
    I got bored rather than beat.
    I may return sometime.
  • Facewon wrote:
    On phone and cutting and pasting, so will be messy for a bit.

Game of the Year
    1. Ape Out
    2. Metro exodus
    3. Goose game
    4. Hades*

*pending release date.

Best sound Design
    1. Ape Out
    2. Metro exodus

Best visual Design

Best writing
    1. Metro exodus.

Best character
    1. Ape
    2. Goose
    3. Atyem

Best ongoing game released before 2019 (anything that received further support, a major expansion/update etc. this year)
    1. Destiny 2

Best game you played this year that didn't come out this year
    1. Slay the spire*

*see what I did there? ;)

Game of the Decade

Ok, in order.

1 Slay the spire - 750 hrs and counting!
    2 Dark souls - 400 odd hours and fond memories of so much.
    3 Bfbc2 - still the goat for feeling like you're in a scripted epic single player mission with other people.
    4 Halo 5 - mp only, best since 3 and on dedicated servers
    5 Hollow knight - metriodvania done right
    6 Dirt Rally - best since cm2.0 on ps1. Pure.
    7 Hitman episodic - too much silly fun.
    8 Cities skylines - lovely relaxing times with the missus bossing me around.
    9 Mgs5 - best playground for all of kojimas toys.
    10 Metro 2033 - it's mabo, it's the vibe

This becomes interesting to me again.

Recent return to destiny 2 means that my default answer is actually a real answer now.

It's doubly interesting to me, because of my own thinking around where destiny overall fits within the decade.

For all the hours I pumped into d1, it was lean and flawed on release. And unlike halo, I had a lot of internal resentment to the hours I put in.

D2 got off on the right foot, IMO. There were still issues, but the x amount of hours I pumped in at release were good fun, the pc version came at the right time, and my enjoyment of gaming generally on my laptop and 60fps probably helped.

Even though I've paid for all content, my feeling around the game now, 5 years into the original 10 year plan, is completely different.

The content is there, the variety is there, and while the grind is there too, the balance is right now, because as I've just been saying in the destiny thread, I'm doing some content from forsaken right now and I don't quite get the mechanics yet, I don't know what numberwang/gear it'll get me, and I frankly don't care.

Just fucking inject the whole game world, gun play and action directly into my veins.

(and I say this as someone who is 99.9% of the time soloing or playing with randoms)

Was doing a mission in the dreaming city last night, and the level was just spectacular; the sheer size and verticality was huuuge. The number of enemies in play was immense, and yet within that, there was actually, much more so than d1, some of that halo DNA shining through around enemy attributes, and how they interact with player and other enemies. And also how much certain nasty enemies got you worried. (not quite like gold elites etc in halo 2, but also not just scary because bullet sponge.)

(scorned and taken are fucking top tier enemies in d2. So much fun.)

Jump on in folks, the water is beautiful.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • That whole post was just beautiful, Face, and echoes exactly how I feel about the game.

D2's a dead cert for my favourite ongoing game, and it might just top my GotD. There's no virtual world I'd rather spend time in.

Except Armello. Obvs.
  • I’ve recently got back into D2 and yea, bloody love it. Put hundreds of hours into the original and played with a great group of badgers most nights raiding for top gear and loot. Was amazing
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Looking through this thread makes me realise just how out of touch I've become with gaming. Last game I finished was God of War and most of my ps plus games have never been installed never mind played.
    I need to contemplate my list....but here are two games with amazing aesthetics that Ive not seen mentioned yet:
    Rime:
    analisis-rime.jpg?itok=Nf8zCe8-

And Naissance:
    ingame_16x9.jpg
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • I fucking love Rime
  • One of only 2 games to make water leak from my face.
  • My list again so far just to remind me -

NaissanceE
    Kingdom Come: Deliverance
    Total War: Warhammer II
    Inside
    Obduction
    Neo Scavenger
    Civilization V

Yeah NaissanceE was one of the most jaw dropping experiences of the last decade for me, the combination of clean brutalism with the avant garde ambient soundtrack was really compelling. I took so many screenshot while playing that.
  • How do I search for the older secret santa threads. (not just last year's)

Want to double check recipient hasn't already received some things simular previously from another badger.
  • I see what you did there. Wrong sticky thread.

• Weird. I had a second sentence thats gone.

No need to apologise. I was gonna suggest maybe old Santa threads are in the game directory thread. Maybe.
  • I looked. They weren’t. Well, not as far as I could see, but the games index requires us to remember what threads were called if they don’t start with the game / subject.

Best visual Design
    2. No Mans Sky

Best writing

Best character

Best ongoing game released before 2019 (anything that received further support, a major expansion/update etc. this year)
    1. No Mans Sky

Best game you played this year that didn't come out this year
    1. God of War

Ok so this a
    Game of the Decade
    1. Mass Effect 2
    2. The Last of Us
    3. GTA V
    4. Assassins Creed 2
    5. Uncharted 3/4/2 cant remember which was my fav
    6. Rime
    7. NaissanceEE
    8. Torchlight 2
    9. Assassins Creed Syndicate
    10. No Mans Sky
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
  • Heart felt and it shows with that formatting. Hugs hard.
  • Honestly Reg I had noticed and I am very much conflicted over the DS thread and whether to post.
    Not because of what I think of the game though (havent played it, not concerned by it).
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!