regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm going to delete those and reframe them shortly - I wanted to do a mind spraff and got what I needed to get out there. I'll make it more tempered shortly.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Let's begin again.

So 2019 Is an absolute write off for me. I was lucky enough to go back to Japan, which was a world changing thing, but behind it all was the abortion we had at the start of the year. This time last year I was so excited about the prospects of a mini reg, and how that would affect our lives. Now, a year on, and an upsetting abortion later, my view of the world is very different. I'd hope that forum people with whom I'd previously had beef had noticed a change in my mentality. I basically can't even imagine how we all got here, and, to be really shitty, think we are all incredible. And we are even moreso for forming this forum, this gang or people who all meet to talk about how shit Death Stranding is. I very much value the contributions from all the people on here, and when I get a direct response to a post I have made, now value it moreso. Flora and I are okay and we will be stronger in the future. We are still keen to make a little one and will try to make that the case. 

This all being said, this is the 'bad bum' that the Queen talked about, and I cannot wait until 2020 and a newfound sense of optimism instills itself in me. Blade Runner was rite. 

What I posted yesterday was a rough set of games, so I will refine it, and there will be some changes. I do want to start by flagging up some great 'also-rans' however first. 

Astral Chain

In hindsight, it doesn't quite make the cut. But the elements are there - interesting and dynamic Platinum combat, mad anime world, an omnipresent dog mascot - these are the things that sweet reg dreams are made of. I can't quite justify the existence of it on my list because there's just not enough substance behind the absolute bubblegum pop exterior - which is no bad thing, fwiw. It's a showpiece and a showing off piece for Platinum, who continue to go from strength to strength and are becoming more and more confident in adding new types of gaming to their strong fighting repertoire. 

Pixel Puzzle Collection

Konami released a new franchise this year. With absolutely no fanfare, Pixel Puzzle Franchise dropped on phones. Within the title are over 500 picross puzzles that celebrate the company's history and reference key moments. It's playable offline and has no microtransactions - the absolute fuck. On subways around Tokyo this summer it was the go-to title. Addictive, clever, and well constructed. Get it.

Control

I really thought Control was going to do it for me. I thought the link of Alan Wake / Max Payne style gaming alongside something that was ripped right out of the X Files was going to be my goty. And for several hours it was absolutely great. The combat, ripping and tearing hunks of stuff at shadowy assassins whilst learning of some weird establishment, kept me going. But there was a point, possibly around 8 hours in, where it just felt like much-of-a-muchness to me, and I needed the next gameplay tweak to really keep me going. I'll go back and finish it at some point, but not this year, Remedy.

Sayonara Wild Hearts

Every Sunday morning, in bed, I grab my Switch and play 'Begin Again', aiming for the elusive Gold Rank. Flora makes fun of me for the routineness with which I engage in this activity, but fuck it. This is a pop album and a pop game - bite sized, accessible, and over very quickly. It helps that the Chvrches-esque style of music that is featured in the game is one to which I am partial, but it's just an overwhelming visual and aural package. Slight, yes, but isn't all good pop music?

Death Stranding

Look. I know. I get it. It's a bit of a bombscare, but there's something there, under all the bullshit, under all the fiddliness, that is absolutely fascinating. Kojima is nothing if not different, and I'm glad the game exists, even if I feel I'm going to have to plough my way through it with a helluva lot of effort. Those isolated moments where you walk and Low Roar come on - there's something incredibly hair-raising about them. It's a game to be admired, if not liked. 

Right. So to it.

5) Resident Evil 2 Remake
    Right at the time when we were in the worst of the above January stuff with regards to babies, one Sunday morning, I got a message from Elm that I had been gifted a copy of Resident Evil 2 on XBox. Being in a naturally fragile state I burst into tears and was obviously ridiculously grateful. January became a time when I retreated into the past, playing games that instilled nostalgia and reminded me of positive memories. Resident Evil 2 felt like the Bridge (Baby) for this (yes, I can't stop thinking about Death Stranding.) It has always been my favourite in the series, and on previous consoles, I could run it without even thinking. But this remake added so many interesting elements, not least making Mr. X into a real force of nature, something not even Nemesis managed. It's a fantastic version of how to update a game. I haven't put Link's Awakening on my list, even of to think about games, because it was so faithful, it felt like playing a 1993-ass game again. Resi 2 Remake showed how to take the mechanics of the past and bring them up to date. 

4) Tetris 99 

Where the Sam (Porter Bridges) Fuck did this come from? Announced and dropped with very little fanfare, this game has eaten up hours and hours (Cheryl Cole voice) of my life. It's such a stupid concept - Tetris meets Battle Royale - that it just works, and with the vagueries of the game upon launch it also became *coughs, moves notes* the Dark Souls of Tetris. Over the subsequent months since it has released it has dropped a £10 single player mode (DO IT) and multiple skins that can be earned through regular and mission play. To be brutally honest, had I not been utterly obsessed with clearing Mario World and Yoshi's Island to 100%, I would say this is the sole reason for having a Nintendo Online account, especially given Splatoon 2 wrapping up (pedants may note that Mario Maker 2 is not on a list here - it just wasn't enough to warrant it.) As a 'free' game, it's essential. 

3)Fire Emblem - 3 Houses 

As we worked through the year, we became more fixated on ensuring we had a good Summer holiday (we did - which helped) but I became fixated on the release of Fire Emblem. I became a relatively late convert to the series, only starting with Awakening, but I have really loved the emphasis on creating bonds (strands? no) between  characters and also the sheer brutality of the combat model. Whilst I still believe that Awakening (you never forget your first time) was the most pure / efficient of the ones I have played (Awakening / Fates / Echoes / This) the concept of basically being a lecturer in Harry Potter town was one that really engrossed me. I've played through it twice, and need to see the trifecta out, but I was shocked the second time about seeing the impact my taking time in lectures had on the durability of my gang. It's a damn fun game that looks at the same concept from three perspectives - objectively, subjectively and shit-headedly - and it's an absolute blast. 

2) Hypnospace Outlaw

1999 was a time, eh? I had a Geocities Adam and Joe fan page back then that I set up with my best mate. It was bright orange in the background and the text was in black, or more commonly, green. Those were great days. Hypnospace Outlaw allowed me to revel in that era, with music playing upon opening a page, dancing gifs, and lots of CAPITAL LETTERS. 
    It's one where, when you get below the surface, you see the actual people behind the webpages, their insecurities and their own, often selfish goals. The creator of the game has said that as long as the title is profitable, he will keep adding new websites to the 'internet' as it is, which just blows my mind. What will this title look like in 2020? 

1) Apex Legends
    Dung-Dung-Dung-Duuunngg - that four chord landing theme has been my go-to-melody this year. Apex feels perfect. The mechanics of moving around, of sliding, of reloading, and generally working your way around the terrain are all remarkable, and speak to a team with considerable experience in dealing with first person mechanics. The squad options (although all you need is Pathfinder) are deep and varied, and Respawn even managed to expand upon these with their season 2 character launches. The game does not feel absolutely bogged down in the 'you must buy' mechanics that other games have, and every game feels 'fair'. It's my fault when I disengage from my team, it's their fault when they don't spot the shotgunner behind the door. It's a frankly incredibly distillation of the Battle Royale format, and to be given it for 'free' is even more ludicrous. I can't want to see where it goes next - Tomorrow is in their hands (I'm SORRY)

Now to the others...

Best sound Design
    1. Death Stranding - having Low Roar drop in at moments of calm is incredible. And in such a messy game, it's something to celebrate.
    2. Catherine Full Body - they've added Persona 5 tracks so that makes it good.
    3.Super Mario Maker 2 - the switching between worlds / styles never doesn't impress.

Best visual Design
    1. Death Stranding - it's fucking gorgeous. It looks like you're in Iceland (the country) and I can't get over that.
    2. Resident Evil 2 Remake - more for what they did than what it is, I think it's an absolute stormer graphically. 
    3. Luigi's Mansion 3 - they spoke of wanting it to look like a Pixar movie, and it damn near gets close.

Best writing
    1. The Outer Worlds - makes me laugh, makes me do a wry smile, makes me sad. This game is everything (flips bottle in slow motion)
    2. Control - for what I played there is something there, it feels delicately plotted and I appreciate the time the game takes to work its way into your system.
    3. Fire Emblem - Three Houses - 'Wow, you really saved my bacon'. 

Best character
    1. Claude - Fae the Fire Emblems - He's the ultimate shithead, but also the guy in gaming you most want to go drinking with. 
    2. Zane - Outta Hypnospace Outlaw - conversely, Zane is the one guy you're never going chugging beers with. He may end up shooting you. 
    3.Mirage out of Apex - he's hot af. 

Best ongoing game released before 2019 (anything that received further support, a major expansion/update etc. this year)
    1. Splatoon 2 

Best game you played this year that didn't come out this year
    1. Super Mario World on the SNES Online Shit

Game of the Decade
    1.Mass Effect 2
    2.Rock Band 2
    3. Dead Space 2 
    4. Hotline Miami
    5. Splatoon 2 
    6.Super Mario Maker 
    7. Yakuza 0
    8.Braid
    9. Breath of the Wild
    10. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  • Best of luck for next year reg, good write ups. It's a shame all the Dead Space games passed me by, I think I'd like them now.
  • Fucking Mass Effect 2 again.

Need to fit that in. At some point. Soon.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • The first ME was a bit shit though. Guessing sequel is a vast improvement for so many to have it in GotD list.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I still think it helps if you play the first.
  • I played ME2 without playing the first and loved it to bits, but there were plenty of situations where it was obvious I was missing something.  A lil reading up online and I was good though.

Played ME1 as soon as I'd finished 2 and just couldn't get on with it.
  • 2 works on its own. Did for me anyway. From what I read the first one was a bit clunky and from what I played no.3 just didn't get its claws in.
  • 1 is great but even at the time was a bit clunky, 2 was a huge improvement in many technical areas.
    You dont need to play it but doing so will make 2 that bit better.
    I normally recommend people at least try to play the catch up comic book thing they released mainly to get PS3 owners up to speed, although I think it is on 360 as well.
    It catches you up with the story so far but also pets you make key decisions that carry over.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It’s difficult to judge now as I played it all at the time. Even then it was couple of attempts before I gave 1 a proper go. Glad I did though.
  • 2 on its own is perfectly fine. I played 2, then 1, then 2 again with the save from 1. The main issue with 1 is the gun play which is rank bad, the story and overall RPGness are great. But it’s probably not worth the 20-25 hours of getting through 1 just for a few more in-depth story bits.
  • A shame they never made any more Mass Effect games after 2.
  • I started playing the first a while ago. I’ve got all three on my PS3, and was planning to work my way through. I was enjoying it, but ended up being distracted by something else.

As with so many games, I’ve played just enough that going back and starting again seems off, but it’s so long since I’ve played, I’ll feel a bit lost jumping in where I left off.
  • I feel like Mario maker had its legs cut off by the online play mess and the fact it was followed by a hardcore rpg that sucks time.
  • What's up with the online to Mario Maker?  Haven't activated my code yet so I've only dabbled with the pre-made sp stages.  Is online borked then?
  • It started with online multiplayer but only with randoms players - not friends. It meant an exciting addition (online mp) to the game was much less interesting.

My relationship with the game waned and didn’t have that extra hook but at that moment fire emblem came out and I haven’t really gone back to it.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    The first ME was a bit shit though. Guessing sequel is a vast improvement for so many to have it in GotD list.
    Id have Mass Effect 1 above ME2. But ME2 was released in 2010 so ME1 dont qualify :(

Ive not played ME1 in a very long time but I have hugely fond memories. Chief among them was exploring planets in the moon rover while that awesome ambient electronic music played. Gave such an amazing feeling of isolation. Many hated those sections though.

Hope its a roaring 2020 for you reg.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • The empty planets with the rover were part of the reason why I thought it was a bit shit. The other main reason was the combat was clunky and only got any good near end game.
  • It started with online multiplayer but only with randoms players - not friends. It meant an exciting addition (online mp) to the game was much less interesting.

I'm glad they've patched it in but it was an unfortunate oversight early on.  Something like that is far less appealing with randoms for me, and 2D Mario has quietly become an excellent two player platformer since the Wii days.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It started with online multiplayer but only with randoms players - not friends. It meant an exciting addition (online mp) to the game was much less interesting.

My relationship with the game waned and didn’t have that extra hook but at that moment fire emblem came out and I haven’t really gone back to it.
    This was exactly my relationship. Given the first was a goty for me, it's a bit of a disappointment.
  • The level curation is a nightmare. I find it difficult to just find levels that are normal Mario ones rather than some hyper difficult, tricky weird thing.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Nintendo Labo on sale for £25 at Shopto! Just bought one for my nephews for Christmas. Be a good gift for those of you with little ones and a switch!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Wrong thread!! Whoops
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Unless you think it's game of the decade.
  • I haven’t played it!
  • Noone else needs to know! ;)
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Ok all done

Game of the Year
    1. Disco Elysium
    2. Sekiro
    3. Astral Chain
    4. Untitled goose game
    5. Dragon Quest XI (Switch)

Best sound Design
    1. Untitled Goose Game
    2. Dragon Q XI
    3. Sekiro

Best visual Design
    1. Disco Elysium
    2. Sekiro
    3. Pokemon Sword/Shield

Best writing
    1. Disco Elysium
    2. Dragon Quest XI

Best character
    1. Horrible Goose
    2. Ancient Reptilian Brain (Disco Elysium)

Best ongoing game released before 2019 (anything that received further support, a major expansion/update etc. this year)

Game of the Decade
    1. Darkest Dungeon
    2. Super Street Fighter IV
    3. Breath of the Wild
    4. Smash Bros Ultimate
    5. X-com 2
    6. Divinity Original Sin 2
    7. Dark Souls
    8. Disco Elysium
    9. Mass Effect 2
    10.Fire Emblem: Fates
  • Would have had the top 2 the other way around but interesting list
    I really wanted to love astral chain but it just tried to much and became unfocused imo
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Game of the Year
    1. Sekiro
    2. Disco Elysium
    3. Hades
    4. Resident Evil 2 Remake
    5. Cadence of Hyrule: Crypt of the Necrodancer

Best sound Design
    1. Outer Wilds
    2. Sekiro
    3. Disco Elysium

Best visual Design
    1. Disco Elysium
    2. Sekiro
    3. Resident Evil 2 Remake

Best writing
    1. Disco Elysium
    2. Sekiro
    3. Outer Wilds

Best character
    1. Cuno (Disco Elysium)
    2. Hades (Hades)
    3. Kim (Disco Elysium)

1. New star manager 

1. Divinity Original Sin 2

Games of the decade:
    1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
    2. Dark Souls 3
    3. Hotline Miami
    4. Hollow Knight
    5. Bloodbourne
    6. Divinity Original Sin 2
    7. Spelunky 
    8. Breath of the wild
    9. Slay the spire
    10. Witcher 3
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!