Outer Wilds
  • Vela wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    That’s the thing,
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

I never managed to do the final stretch in my ship, at any point. I just got out and hoofed it like a maniac.

I am not sure what my favourite moment was.

Probably one of the following:
    Spoiler:

It's a really admirable game. It stuck to its convictions and told a strong mechanical story, something that's pretty unique to games. Like you could tell this story in a book, or a film (and a few have) but actaully getting to do it, work it all out and following along with the Nomian's reasoning as they accidentalyl set up the whole game is unlike anything else really.
  • Yeah, the writing was really well suited to the method of exposition in the game. Depending on what you read and when has a big impact of your alignment to the Nomai's justifications for their own actions.

My favourite bits were probably
    Spoiler:

A very rare game.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Great video on the making of Outer Wilds

Staggeringly complex game on a technical level.
  • Is this the only thread for this game? I'm surprised it's only three pages.

It's a strange game this one. I've not finished it yet and can't say for sure if I'm gonna bother - the premise and atmosphere is something I'm keen on, and some elements are intriguing. The melancholy of it all resonates with me and the music is great.

Graphically I find it a bit weak and jaggy, but there's an awful lot going on so that's understandable. Initially, I was very keen to see what secrets each planet hid, and investigating an alien race was fun.

I downloaded this through Game Pass on release day, and I'm still playing it now. I must have put twenty hours into or more, there's no way of finding out as far as I can tell? My problem with the game is the wasted time on it. I've had countless runs end abruptly due to jank controls or I end up getting stuck somewhere or my ship gets stuck on something - the will to carry on has dwindled somewhat.

I'm also aware that I'm not really into narrative heavy games that involve lots of reading - something I didn't know this game was when I started playing it. I've reached a point where I think most of the revelations in the game are going to be through text boxes, which doesn't really excite me. Moreover, I can't really say that the game has actually ever been that fun to play. It's a bit doggish and clumsy and at times frustrating.

It's certainly a fascinating game, but to see it in so many GOTY lists is surprising indeed. It's great to see something new that's for sure.

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    This game suuuuxxxxxx

Sorry I'm a child I'm out
  • I figure there isn't much middle ground between people who get it, and those who don't. The former group will finish it because narrative demands it. The latter will bounce off in frustration and miss the GOTY.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I’m liking it so far, albeit I’m an hour in
  • regmcfly wrote:
    This game suuuuxxxxxx

Hello Reg :)
  • I wouldn’t particularly say this is a narrative heavy game with lots of reading, the text is quite light and cuts to the wick as fast as it can whilst still leaving room for some flavour and character.

Really its narrative is built on a combination of facts (in its universe) and the mechanics that underpin the game. I know the experimented a lot with the implementation of various things throughout the game, and the diary/log on your ship didn’t get its “rumour” mode until very late in testing and development.

I’ve a suspicion that you could probably finish it without reading anything whatsoever, though it would be far closer to doing the actual science and archaeology it has you do in a game sense than it is now.
  • Which is to say most of the best moments in the game are ones of silent revelation, when something you deduce through observation and practice is successful, it’s a feeling so few games can crack.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    This game suuuuxxxxxx

Hello Reg :)

Hello, I'm still an idiot. Hope life is good for you, sir.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Chalice you deviant!
  • Thanks for describing the story Tempy :)

You're right - it's not a set of explicit exposition through text, although it includes some elements of it. It's equally about the audio, the puzzle box solar system, the architecture and the way they interlink.

That whole set is what I consider as the "narrative". The cohesive environment and relationships you discover on the adventure.
  • I played more last night and it's still keeping many secrets from me. I feel I've explored much of several of the planets, but I've only really grasped one of the rules and I'm not sure how or where to apply it. I don't class myself as thick really but this game does seem to require a fair amount of intellect to deduce what's going on. Either that or I've done stuff in a weird order and I'm befuddled...

I'm interested in where people went on their very first run? I ended up in
    Spoiler:

Put me off big time ha ha.
  • Well, despite my reservations about finishing this game I went ahead and ploughed into it. Took me far longer than it should have - partly due to it being quite obtuse at times and also just playing late at night and fumbling it at crucial points.

I need a bit of time to digest the whole thing but I will say this - as a whole package this game is a profound experience. It's really moved me.

That ending. Wow. Anyone that has this I implore you to keep going and finish it.
  • Discovered this morning that my youngest had a go on this yesterday and wrote over my save
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    This is why I tell my children it's daddy's work machine they mustn't touch it no it does not do games
  • Discovered this morning that my youngest had a go on this yesterday and wrote over my save

Doesn’t matter really, there’s very little linear gated progress. If you know how to do something you should just be able to go and do it.
  • Anyone that has this I implore you to keep going and finish it.
    I keep thinking I should give it another try whenever I see anything like this. But I just can't get over that it's such a pain in the arse to play. I'd only give up again.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    This is why I tell my children it's daddy's work machine they mustn't touch it no it does not do games

New prime directive has been invoked :-)
  • JonB wrote:
    Anyone that has this I implore you to keep going and finish it.
    I keep thinking I should give it another try whenever I see anything like this. But I just can't get over that it's such a pain in the arse to play. I'd only give up again.

Mate I'm the first to jack a game when it's being a pig or wasting my time. All I can say with this game is that it's worth the effort in the end. I've been playing this game since it released, I haven't rushed it in any way. I progressed at an almost glacial pace and put it down frustrated with it for long stretches. The 22 minute loop welcomes this approach I think.

Take your time and soak it up. I will say this game is really fucking scary in places, especially after a smoke late at night.

But man. What a game.

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Here ya go SG
  • It's a good game mates.
  • I checked Ian's game list and couldn't find it!
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    A good old google always works
  • So it does.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Very similar to cyberpunk.
  • I wanna play it, but no time right now.

A year and a half later I finally got round to this. It’s a bit good, no?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    No
  • That confirms my theory. Great game.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!