Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (Again) (2019 edition) (*except Russia)
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    How do you know that?
  • Reading years of research into the effects of video games on children.
  • Children and teens seem to instinctually know games aren't real and the consequences don't matter.

30 somethings on forums not so much.

Yet we all like to drive over people on grand theft auto from time to time then reload our save and play properly.

The real insidiousness of CoD is laid out here:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-01-shooters-how-video-games-fund-arms-manufacturers
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Reading years of research into the effects of video games on children.

So they don't have any effect either way? Fair enough, less to worry about then. I guess the adults playing it will be the ones to get the message.
  • Reading years of research into the effects of video games on children.

So they don't have any effect either way? Fair enough, less to worry about then. I guess the adults playing it will be the ones to get the message.

Exactly

It’s just pointless gratuitousness for the sake of being perceived as edgy.

There is no deeper message.

Fuck ‘em.
  • People who shoot the baby should be made to watch all the cutscenes in Ghost Recon: Breakpoint as punishment.

that'll teach 'em

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Too far, g. Talk about war crimes.
  • "Q3 has been a disappointment, our games have underperformed, and we have been accused of breaking the Geneva convention twice: with Ghost Recon: Breakpoint and Just Dance 2020 for Wii."
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • So is anyone playing this online?

If you are on Xbox or PC you can add my PS4 account through the Activision account thingy

Owwmykneecap#2012041

Really would love a teammate online!
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Hmm not chat dross play though?
  • Game chat is cross play if you join my game party we can chat regardless of platform
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Huh neat. Will add you.
  • Good man
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • Invite sent if you are staying on
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Not really sure what you’re after here? Different genres are better suited for dealing with different types of themes. It would be as jarring to have an Arnie-style action flick in which the hero killed an innocent halfway through and had to process their emotions around that as it would be to have a drama where someone pulled out an M16 and start rampaging through the rest of the cast. Yes, video games can deal with issues like collateral damage, but an FPS is about as suitable a genre for doing so in as a Hollywood action movie would be.
    Fair enough. I think it's fine to deal with it in a shooter as that's the kind of environment you're likely to see collateral damage, and if it makes the shooter kids playing CoD etc. stop and reflect a little on this type of thing then it's doing the job. Provided they handle it well of course, but it seems like they have here. I'm just having trouble envisioning a walking sim covering it, most probably because I don't play walking sims but also I've not seen any walking sims covering anything like this type of stuff before.

I think a 'walking sim' from the viewpoint of a journalist accompanying or following behind a military, witnessing the damage done could be really interesting. A bit like Generation Kill basically.
  • A video game of Salvador would be interesting.
  • Reading through this, it strikes me that most of you didn’t bother to click through to the article (which is written in a manner that places more weight on the baby killing than any other innocent killing) or watched the YouTube video that is there.

If you shoot any non-enemy in the game, the screen fades immediately to black, with a message telling you not to do that. If you do it repeatedly, you get a message asking, “Are you serious?”

I know that some games disable the trigger, but that takes away the requirement to think about your targets. It’s a perfectly reasonable gameplay inclusion to force players to analyse what’s on screen, identify what is and isn’t a target, and exercise caution. If you blindly spray a room with bullets and shoot your colleagues, you get the exact same treatment.

And, guess what? It’s a fact that, when military units go into alleged terrorists’ homes, there are women and children in there.

Infinity Ward didn’t advertise this, afaik, they didn’t make a song and dance about it. Wesley Yin-Poole wrote a slightly misleading article with a click-bait headline. No, there’s not a special message for people who keep shooting a baby. There’s a general message for people who shoot any non-enemy.

If you’re going to get your knickers in a twist, at least find out what it is that you’re getting your knickers in a twist about.
  • When a single game can make a billion dollars there's a need to keep it exciting and to keep the conversation flowing. There's absolutely no doubt the decision to include the mother and baby was because it generates headlines. Whether those headlines are justified or not is rather by the by, the game is out to get as much exposure as possible.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I wonder how many under 18's buy this game and how much of the market they constitute? Quite a lot I should imagine, and that revenue is expected. In many industries I suppose that share of the market is much smaller and I doubt strict enforcement would be a worry, but in gaming a bet a few execs would shit it if they started coming down hard on it.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Is it okay for people who are technically minors themselves to shoot the digital baby?
  • Is it okay to shoot hundreds of digital bad men, when some may have digital babies waiting for them at home?

For what it's worth, I find the choice of enemy in these games far more questionable than the baby. I gave up on the last one I played (2007ish) because it seemed pretty distasteful, with or without babies.
  • Getting more used to this. The TTK is low, much more so than BO4, there feels to be about 4 maps total in TDM and Domination the two main modes I play

Ground war seemed to be a cluster fuck BF style large maps and vehicles.
    I ran up 12 flights of stairs for the game to end and not even reach the the of the building.

I want ground war to be an extended version of domination or TDM on the base maps with at 9x9 player count.
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • Hi forum. Not played any games for a few years. Can one of you kind nerds tell me if this is as good online as the hype is saying so and if I should buy it along with Red Dead? Will it be well nostalgic of COD:MW (the best video game ever made)?

Thank you.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Hello Euan, welcome back.
  • Anyone playing the free to play mobile version of COD?
  • I've got it installed, still need to link my dual shock cause I can't stomach the touch controls.
  • Euan wrote:
    Hi forum. Not played any games for a few years. Can one of you kind nerds tell me if this is as good online as the hype is saying so and if I should buy it along with Red Dead? Will it be well nostalgic of COD:MW (the best video game ever made)? Thank you.

If you thought that about the original you’re going to like it. I was after another Blackout, it’s not that. Ground War feels exactly like Battlefield. Specs Ops is a bit sparse at the moment and so although they played down the significance of the PS4 horde exclusive it’s the best mode so worth it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!