Have we got a Dead Space 3 thread yet?
  • Just finished the demo. Not impressed. As people on here have already said the open environments seem to drain the atmosphere. I dunno whats with EA and wanting to make single player games have mutiplayer/co-op add-ons? Mass Effect 3 and now this? Is it really impossible to market and sell a single player title these days? BTW it was refreshing to hear that Capcom have listened to the fan criticisms about Res Evil and are gonna go back to "Survival Horror" even though it sells less.

".....Survival horror as a genre is never going to be on the same level, financially, as shooters and much more popular, mainstream games. At the same time, I think we need to have confidence to put money behind these projects...."

Yeh for capcom! EA are you listening?
  • Capcom didn't listen to fan criticisms because 4 is the best of the bunch and it isn't survival horror. It's horror, with action. Like 6, which is a great game.
  • Agree that 4 is a great game of the recent gen. But gotta say 1 and 2 were superb as well. 6 was fairly shit in my humble opinion. Having a true survival horror series with emphasis on single player story be it Res Evil or Dead Space would be great.
  • It doesn't get fans though, as the series get bigger they cast a wider net. It can be annoying I guess, but it's the way it works with sequels and i'm always interested to see people expecting it all to get scaled back. Games can still be scary with bigger settings, I think 2 proved it well and I think 3 might end up surprisingly well, pitching a demo for these kind of games is always difficult.

I can't really see much wrong with Resi 6 myself, and it surely has the best control system for a third person action game ever with plenty of options for nearly every scenario.
  • Wasn't keen on the demo either. Loved the first 2 but this just didn't feel like it was part of the same series. Felt more like a Lost Planet game. Hopefully will be proved wrong.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    RE 6 is good from the little I played on rental. The only problem is it has all these different things you can do with the character like diving and shooting from the ground yet it tells you fuck all about this itself.
  • Played through the first 9 chapters (there are 19!) with a friend last night, and it's pretty decent. Nothing spectacular, it's very similar to the second game in terms of gameplay and atmosphere, and the graphics are not very improved either. People who fell in love with the first one for its horror and disliked the second one for its action is probably going to be disappointed. It's all action action action in this one.

6-7/10 so far.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    RE 6 is good from the little I played on rental. The only problem is it has all these different things you can do with the character like diving and shooting from the ground yet it tells you fuck all about this itself.

I'll take learning those quirks over a tutorial any day of the week, see Vanquish, Bayonetta, Revengeance etc
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    They're almost game changing abilities though. It makes little sense to me why Capcom wouldn't even mention them in the manual or anywhere else. Increases fun x5.
  • So is dodge offset, surely? It's all about rewarding experimentation, something often lauded and at other times puzzlingly punished.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Dodge offset I remember is at least talked about on the in-game move manual. And it's a little different talking about action games like bayo that encourage experimentation and an over the shoulder shooter where you can expect alot of players to go through the entire game without any knowledge you can dive simply because there's no implication anything else is there.
  • I still think it's a dumb criticism, and I'm pretty sure tooltips do pop up for dive and slide, besides I figured em all out by trying a few thing, I haven't looked in a game manual or control page in yeeeeeaaaars. You know they're there, so what's the issue? Games are too simple and don't reward experimenting or?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    You know they're there, so what's the issue?

Well no, I didn't. That's the thing. It was only after seeing some random chap from online do acrobatics (halfway through Leon's story) I had any idea that you could do them. Before that I assumed it was the same as RE 4 and 5 where you didn't have that much agility and I plodded along as such.
  • Assumption is the mother of all etcs

It definitely tells you how to dodge and slide, as that's how I learned how to do them. There are few full unmoved that require experimentation, but me and Reg were in our backs in the school in Leon's chapter.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Fairy nuff. The crux of my irateness is that I must have missed the tip.
  • They were brief I believe
  • Demos can continue to eat horrible dicks. Try on these pants.
    I'm a Sasquatch man and I'm watching you.
  • Precisely what I expected, will get it when it becomes affordable on PC.
  • I'll pay 10-15 for it in a while.
  • To add to your pile of unplayed games? Don't do it man. Only get stuff you want.
  • such a shame, DS1 carried the spiritual torch from resident evil, so sad for me how these franchises decide to go after the mainstream and lose what made then so great in the first place.
  • Tempy wrote:
    To add to your pile of unplayed games? Don't do it man. Only get stuff you want.

You're right of course, but would you believe I finished both 1 and 2? So much potential wasted in terms of the story in this franchise. The scary bit at the end-end of 1 kind of sums it up - it'll make you jump once or twice, but in terms of any cerebral, creepy horror it falls way short of the mark. Does tension and action quite well overall though.
  • Yeah, I just want a fun game. Not gonna lament a poor story or it running the promise of the first or whatever, as that's not why I play 'em. I play to dismember necros and be dragged along by my feet, this sounds like it delivers and I'm ok with that. If I want Survival Horror in space, I'll replay DS1.
  • i'll lament the loss of another good franchise to the co-op cover based shooter army :(
  • As long as it plays well I don't care, franchises live and die, new ones come out, it all carries on. We've got Zwei to look forward to for survival horror. Quite happy to carry on stomping on necros.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Review makes it sound decent enough. The idea mentioned in the review of a Dark Souls/Dead Space hybrid makes me giddy.
  • Whoa there which one said that?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Edge. He was just putting forward his opinion that it would have been better for the devs to approach the Dead Space plot and world like Dark Souls did for its own.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Sorry, this mystifies me.
    EA has announced Dead Space 3's first DLC content pack, called Awakened.

Awakened, which launches in March for 800 Microsoft points on Xbox 360 and $9.99 on PlayStation Network and PC, features the franchise's "darkest chapters as the Necromorph battles become even more gruesome and terrifying than ever before", EA said.

"In Dead Space 3 Awakened, gamers will experience some of the most disturbing content they have ever seen in a Dead Space game," added Steve Papoutsis, boss of developer Visceral Games. "They are going to love it."

That's all there is on Awakened for now. The game launches in the UK on Friday.

YO DUDES, BEST EVER DEAD SPACE IS COMING, NO NOT IN THE GAME THAT ISN'T EVEN OUT YET YOU SILLIES, IN THE DLC! YAY!
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!