Election 2019 - Hide in a fridge to win
  • This will be the first time ever i vote tactically. I will be trying to avoid tories winning at all costs. I've never voted Labour (always green or lib dems) but if thats what it takes, i will probably do it.
  • Also political bots, trolls and large scale disinformation campaigns don’t fall under the category of “ads”.

So really it’s just business as usual.
  • Yup, propaganda (+regulation) and disinformation (-regulation) are 2 sides of the same coin.
    Until this gets officially acknowledged there won't be any effective strategy against targeted political ads.

And that's not even mentioning troll farms and their automated bot counterparts.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • My constituency was created in 1983. For the next 32 years, my MP was Malcolm Bruce (Lib / Lib Dem). For my first few GEs, although I considered myself more of a Labour voter, I voted Lib Dem because Malcolm Bruce seemed like a good MP, a decent man, and Lib Dem policies seemed fine by me.

In 2015, Malcom Bruce stood down, Alec Salmond decided to return to Westminster, and SNP support was high.

In 2016, my constituency voted Remain, 55.5-44.5, one of the largest Leave shares in Scotland. So, in 2017, a single-issue election, I think everyone who voted Leave voted Conservative. They narrowly won, but it was such a massive swing, it felt like a bigger win. I now have one of the most disgusting, hardline, sycophantic, self-serving, snivelling, Selacious Crumb of an MP, Colin Clark.

I will have to vote SNP. In an ideal world I’d vote Green, but they don’t even stand here any more (a lot of the constituency are employed in oil & gas). Most people assume I vote SNP anyway; my dad has worked as a parliamentary/constituency assistant for various SNP politicians, including Salmond for a long time, and I am vocally pro-independence, so it’s a fair assumption, but the SNP are a shite party in Government. However, they are a good party in opposition, so I don’t grudge them my vote in Westminster elections. They are the best bet for kicking that Tory cunt out.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Also political bots, trolls and large scale disinformation campaigns don’t fall under the category of “ads”.

So really it’s just business as usual.

The funding is more difficult, but that's never stopped anyone before.
  • I don’t know if there’s other paid for activity than tweets that have the ‘promoted’ tag. But of those I don’t think I see many political ones anyway. So I wonder just how much they’re making from them.

Still it turns the screw on Zuckerberg so hopefully some good will come of it.
  • I've seen a lot of ads saying we need to be prepared to leave the EU on October 31st, which having checked is today, so I hope you're all prepared.
  • I'm prepared enough that I'm about to fly out of the country.
  • i wonder how many people out there will have seen those billboards and stuff, but pay so little attention to the news just assume it's happened...and "nothing changed so what were they all scare-mongering about?"...then view the election as 'Boris did what he said and all is fine, versus those others that want to change things again'?
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Kazuo wrote:
    I'm prepared enough that I'm about to fly out of the country.
    I'm already it of the country - I was kind of hoping that it would happen and they wouldn't let me back in. I'd have been ok too, as I've got a console and three games with me.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    i wonder how many people out there will have seen those billboards and stuff, but pay so little attention to the news just assume it's happened...and "nothing changed so what were they all scare-mongering about?"...then view the election as 'Boris did what he said and all is fine, versus those others that want to change things again'?

Oh god. Almost certainly a non zero number of people.
  • Do you think Zuckerberg has ever said "zuck my dick" to anyone.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Zuck me gently.
  • Do you wanna go back to my place and Zuck?
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Zuck me? No! Zuck you!
  • If this doesn't end up with a hung parliament I'll eat my GPU. The question then is what next? Nobody seems willing to get in bed with Labour or the Tories yet a Libdem/Green won't have enough seats either.

I suspect a near never ending state of perjury until Macron tells us to fuck off.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Lib Dems will get the fuck over themselves and support a referendum.
  • At which point Corbyn suddenly admits he's quite fond of Brexit after all. I actually wouldn't put it past him.
  • Tory+Farage+DUP could happen and is by far the worst outcome, worse that just Tory.
    That will be result in no deal.
  • At which point Corbyn suddenly admits he's quite fond of Brexit after all. I actually wouldn't put it past him.

You're better than this mate.
  • Probably the most likely too.

You're better than this mate.

I'm only half joking. I think deep down he would like a very particular form of Brexit. He's certainly no fan of the EU, mainly for very good reasons.
  • Just caught on the radio that Brexit Party are considering not contesting lots of seats, presumably because it'll impede a Boris Brexit - a Tory majority is currently the bookie's fave.

It won't make much difference imo because I really can't see anything other than a hung parliament at which point Brexit Party would only, as Liv says, try and form a Tory coalition anyway. They'd just hold less sway within that coalition because they'd have a lot fewer seats, which I suppose might be a tiny blessing.
  • I hope by "dodgy landlords" he means "landlords".
  • Brexit Party won't factor into any coalition anyway because they won't get more than a seat or two, if any. They will take a chunk out of the Tory and Labour votes wherever they stand though.
  • If that were the case they should stand in Lobour seats only, which they might. Given the polical form on the planet it wouldn't surprise me if they do a bit better than a couple of seats. The North is a particular worry.
  • I don’t think anyone is a fan of the EU really.
  • I’m not (well, not as it is now). But I’m still remain and abhor no deal. I’d accept a compromise deal in order to protect and try to restore long term faith in democracy. I don’t know if that’s possible - but I think we have to try. Failing that, remain over no deal, of course. But, in that situation, my own personal happiness may well be undercut by the fear of what is to come.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!