Half-Life: Alyx - It's PC gone mad
  • When the new wifi standard goes through it should be good enough for VR, even the Index. I wish they'd hurry up.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Yeah Jeff is good. Took years to make that chapter, but not in the usual dev sense I guess. By years they could just mean a couple of people toying around with it for that long. Valve innit.

https://uk.ign.com/articles/valve-reveals-how-half-life-alyxs-most-terrifying-chapter-was-made-ign-first
  • Spoiler:
  • I just played a few hours of left 4 dead with some mates and it set me thinking about Alyx. As you play through resources are just scarce enough, are the pickups placed throughout the level or, are they dynamic to just keep you on the edge of panic? My gut feeling is that the 'director' from L4D has taken over half life.
  • I reckon it's all just accumulated company knowledge, a bit like Nintendo. How are you finding the Index?
  • Comfy innit?
  • It's a mix. The headset is lite and balanced and feels good on my head, but the lens holder sticks into my brow. I think I need to dial it back a touch but I'm not sure how.

I love the knuckles and the index screens are amazing.

Only stopped playing today because controllers ran or of battery, it's really hot going for me.
    Spoiler:

And a quick question.
    Spoiler:
  • n0face wrote:
    It's a mix. The headset is lite and balanced and feels good on my head, but the lens holder sticks into my brow. I think I need to dial it back a touch but I'm not sure how.

It pivots and It took me a while to get it. The main thing is the index sits pretty high up on the back of your head, totally diff to the Vive that cups the back of your skull lower down. This is more like a hat.
  • Noface, you have to push the button on your gun hand controller that isn't the eject button.
    Assuming the index has two buttons there like quest does
  • Just realised I haven't used the burst mode since I got the 3rd weapon.
  • I really liked the scope on two of the weapons. You couldn't do it in flatscreen
  • A bunch of the physics puzzles/interactions rely on two hands as well. It ain’t gonna translate.
  • Interesting ending, damped by the inevitable wait for the next instalment of the series. The half life story is really good sci-fi.

I enjoyed the last few chapters (especially the last parts). I guess I was in the mood for the set pieces.
  • Valve just posted a Deep Dive.

• I need to complete Half Life 2 and the episodes, does it hold up well?
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Yep.
  • I'm just at chapter 6 how long is there left? I'm rushing because I have to give the index back soon.
  • A bit under half way, with the best yet to come.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Kernowgaz wrote:
    I need to complete Half Life 2 and the episodes, does it hold up well?

I'm almost to the end of a re-bingeing (now started Ep2) and they're still silky smooth to play and a real example of level design craft funneling players down a chute they can't see.
  • Face, Some of the later chapters go pretty fast as they have some more setpieces than just poking around in cupboards. You should be fine!

Valve were always the masters of getting players to look at things without taking away control from the player.
  • n0face wrote:
    I'm just at chapter 6 how long is there left? I'm rushing because I have to give the index back soon.

11 Chapters.
  • Smashed out chapter six and seven this morning
    Spoiler:

I think I'll be able to get it done by Friday.

I'm finding I'm having to force myself to play the game but once I start I can play for hours.
  • I found that I could only play with the rift for a couple of hours, by which point I was emotionally drained and my face hurt.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Kernowgaz wrote:
    I need to complete Half Life 2 and the episodes, does it hold up well?

I'm almost to the end of a re-bingeing (now started Ep2) and they're still silky smooth to play and a real example of level design craft funneling players down a chute they can't see.

Typical , I can’t find my copy.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • I wonder when Valve are going to release the level editor?
  • Some mumblings. It's such a linear and long journey that without Russel in your ear it would be a lonely one in VR. Like all Half Lifes it seems over too quickly, but again like all HLs thinking back it seems really long,probably because like HL2 every chapter has a unique feel and theme. It's a long journey with different sights and scares but this time with constant background narration. It weirdly reminds me of Apocalypse Now except this is also funny, sometimes very funny. VR makes things funnier, probably because you tend to laugh harder when you're genuinely tense.

The weapons are terrific and upgrading is a pleasure. They're few, personal and memorable and feel like major characters in themselves. It's not unlike Destiny in that respect, without the range or choice. 

The plot is as basic as all the rest. You are here and you need to get there. I thought the first 2/3 was better than the final 1/3 but that may be personal preference. It tried way too hard to ramp it up and it really didn't have to, like they'd inexplicably handed the reigns to Micheal Bay. Set action pieces seem much more like set pieces in VR and not in a good way. 

I liked the ending, I think. The final chapter starts brave by toning it down a ton, which I loved, before ramping it up again but this time in a better way. 

Overall it's probably the most startling entertainment experience I've ever had. Sometimes in VR it doesn't matter - Skyrim VR isn't any different to flatscreen except it's VR, and I think I prefer the flatscreen version. Elite Dangerous can look slightly worse in VR but is a far better experience overall. Alyx would be just awful in flatscreen. The gloves are the main dynamic and are there to solve practical issues like cable management and tiredness, and that wouldn't translate well. In VR it's all kinds of cool though. Alyx is about the little things. Trying to kill a headcrab with a chair or rummaging about and picking up a floppy disk. The level of rummaging alone would make this shit in flatscreen. 

The sequel should be interesting and the ending makes it Hollywood clear there will be a sequel. As a series that typically pushes new tech that's probs not going to happen with the next one. They might go for more of a full finger tracking experience I guess and push Knuckles functionality, but it's not going to be the revolution this is.

Just finished and basically I feel the same as above, although I liked the change of pace at the end. After feeling like a bumbling idiot at the begining I felt like an accomplished fighter by the end and I liked the opportunity to show off.
    Spoiler:
  • I miss having this to play for the first time. :(
    Hopefully the next one isn't 10 years away again
  • I miss having this to play for the first time. :( Hopefully the next one isn't 10 years away again

When they release the modding tools the community will deliver some good stuff, just like they did with Portal 2. It's happening even without them.

https://uploadvr.com/half-life-alyx-custom-crash-course/

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!