Newly registered patent hints at Microsoft handheld.
‹ Previous12
  • A new slant on Fiscal Prudence, if you like.

I’d been thinking that my year of not buying games in 2018 hadn’t had the desired effect. I bought a heap of games with the vouchers and money I got last Christmas, despite still having a large pile of shame. And despite not having played enough of all of the games I bought last Christmas, I’ve still bought games throughout this year.

So, I had already been thinking that I needed to reign in my incessant spending again, assert some self-control. However, I’m well aware that we’re likely to see the next gen arrive by the end of 2020, and I don’t want to deny myself the chance to jump on a hype train. However, I need to do the games I have some justice before then.

So, if I want to save my pennies for PS5 or Xbox 17 or whatever it’ll be, I need to not fritter them away. I’m aware that I’m denying myself The Last of Us Part 2 but, from the timing, I imagine we’ll see a remaster on the next gen, just like last time, so I can wait for that. Especially since the delay makes it a shorter wait.

Anyone coming with me?
  • No sooner do I post that do I learn that the Dark Crystal tactics game is delayed until February. Ah well, it’s probably not going to be that good. Or there’s maybe my birthday.
  • I could probably go the year with just Gamepass.
    I'm playing less and less these days.

I'm that prick that has all the time to play but doesn't.

I like reading, talking and watching videos about games but regularly can't be fucked to actually play them.
  • Im going to pre-order final fantasy 7 remake and the last of us 2 so I guess I'm out.

Theres also wattam that I like the look of on December 17th I think.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ori 2 is on gamepass
    Hollow Knight Silksong though, I fear too hard to resist

TLoU2 I could maybe survive, but Metroid Prime 4 would mightily tempt and yeah who knows what the next gen beckons.

But with the subs I don't think I'll be spending too much on top, particularly having just splurged I'm an X.
  • My intent is to get through the year with just gamepass...to be fair i rarely buy anything close to full price these days anyway.
    As such i'm with you in spirit, but not actually committing to it, since the most likely impact of that would just be stopping me buy the odd cheap game that i think would be fun to play with my kids.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I couldn't do this because I'm too obsessed with indie releases and digital sales. I spent a lot on games this year but I did my drinking indoors a lot more too, so a £20 eshop splurge is never really something I feelsbad about. Good luck, waiting for a next gen Last of Us 2 sounds like a decent idea, but watch out for those spoilers.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’m waiting for both Cyberpunk and The Last of Us 2 on next gen platforms, so I’m more than likely done with new releases on the under-the-telly consoles.  But I may yet pick up the likes of Spider-man and God of War for cheap.  I don’t really overspend on games anymore, so there’s no incentive for me to do something like this.
    Get schwifty.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’m thinking those two big hitters too Raiziel (edit - I’ll decide on reviews whether to get this Gen or not) plus Gamepass, PS Plus and whatever VR deals there are. Still got a lot of 2018/19 to finish.
  • I will just be game pass for 2019. There's more than enough good stuff there and I've always been a bit behind the times game wise anyway. Wife only remarked the other day when I was playing sf 2:ce - "why are you always playing the old version?"

I'm not retro, just slow.
    SFV - reddave360
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm quite keen to actually focus on games and play then through, rather than flitting - need to find a way to do that better ...
  • I'll do a non-VR version.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My gaming has collapsed down to playing shmups. I have a pile of them. It's unlikely I will achieve one credit runs on them all in my lifetime. I've bought a few JP-PS2 shmups while the going is good before their price soars and I've bought a couple on Steam.

MAME is a fine resource for playing those without console ports (and with for that matter).

I still have a weakness for Tetris games - have a PS2 Sega compilation on order (which is late shipping from Japan worringly).

Unless I get a Switch I can't see me buying much generally now or in the future.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Starting to think I should do this, my pile of shame is worse than ever. Finish 52 games too. Existing subs/gamepass permitted and it's not like I'm gonna run it of stuff to play...

Hollow Knight the one wrinkle in that plan...
  • Nice idea, id like to save for a next gen console and new tv to go with it. However there are some big games being released as below for me. That doesnt include leftfield suprises that i hadnt considered but review really well.

Nioh 2
    Doom Eternal
    Resident Evil 3
    Cyberpunk 2077
    Hollow Knight Solksong
    Last of us 2

Q. Can i hold off playing these in 2020?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    I could probably go the year with just Gamepass.
    I'm playing less and less these days.

I'm that prick that has all the time to play but doesn't.

I like reading, talking and watching videos about games but regularly can't be fucked to actually play them.

This is me in a nutshell.

The only things I’ve been looking forward to next are Cyberpunk and TLoU2 and as said they will both be better on Next Gen.

I have Game Pass Ultimate which takes care of pretty much all my needs as well as a back catalogue on PS4 big enough to sink the Titanic.

The only thing I’m going to do before starting my self enforced exile is buy Disco Elysium now then I’m done.

I’m in.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I'm playing less and less these days. I'm that prick that has all the time to play but doesn't. I like reading, talking and watching videos about games but regularly can't be fucked to actually play them.

This was me until Vere pulled me out of my funk with the 52 games thing, which coincided with the indie boom hitting its stride on consoles.  Honestly, I haven't enjoyed playing games this much since I was a teenager.  I used to buy stuff I thought I wanted to play, then force myself to sit down with them for a full hour, probably checking the clock at least twice each session as it felt like a chore.  I'd complete maybe 8-15 games in a year, which isn't a huge amount considering it's always been something I would've cited as a 'main hobby'.  I'm on course for 85 by new year :)
  • I find I play games to about half way through and just stop now.
    Both Fallen Order and Outer Worlds were great but I hit a barrier where I just cant be arsed anymore. Like I have seen what it has to offer and that is that.
  • Most full price games are so long these days there's an argument for getting your money's worth out of a half play anyway.
  • Yeah, too long really for the most. A lot feel padded out with the same shit over and over.
    I appreciate stuff like Titty 2 which is like "here's a cool idea, right on to the next thing"
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So shit this is go and I utterly fucked it by not getting Disco Elysium in the sale.

Oh well, more than enough other stuff to keep me busy. And I'm gonna be a bit more lenient than previous years: new stuff on subs is fine, and I've got some PSN water funds, and will earn some Xbox stuff via rewards, and I'm selling that fair play as it's imaginary money. Likewise if I get prezzies for my birthday (the big 4-0).

And Silksong is an up front exception to this rule.

But beyond all those caveats, I think I'm in!!
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Good stuff Muzzy. Made sure I got Disco in. I can tell you all about it.

I’m assuming you are going to play all your games in chronological order?
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    I'm gonna be a bit more lenient than previous years...

Yeah, the point is to stop spending shit-tonnes. Long-term, I’m even just keen to stop paying full-price for stuff. There’s really no need. I also need to limit the number of games I get in the first 6-12 months of a console’s life.
  • Noticing on pc that it's totes possible to fall into an inverse trap even avoiding paying full price for stuff.

I cannot remember the last aaa I paid full wack for. Probably destiny 2. And even that I found small discounts for.

Other than that, I've nabbed freebies and game pass for aaas.

However, the perpetual sales, bundles and early access options on aa and below (and my tastes) have let to buying more games than I could play even if it was my FT job.

So yeah, wallet still struggles sometimes, because during sales I'll spend $100 on 6 indie or older titles.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Ramble on.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Andy wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    I'm gonna be a bit more lenient than previous years...
    Yeah, the point is to stop spending shit-tonnes. Long-term, I’m even just keen to stop paying full-price for stuff. There’s really no need. I also need to limit the number of games I get in the first 6-12 months of a console’s life.

This. I need to stop buying so much and so early.

Will keep record again of what I buy, maybe here.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Keep the record of it in a prominent family area, with the cost adjusted into child stuff equivalencies and where parents will see it when they visit. Assuming you want the list to act as a brake on impulse purchasing I reckon that'd be the way to demotivate the behaviour
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • That’s the way to divorce.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    hahaha, they always say they want honest then the minute you tell them a truth they get all.. grumble grunmble
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • The first thing I'd probably do in this situation of having too many unplayed games is to purge the backlog of all but a handful of titles that I still definitely want to play. Anything else, forget about it, even if you paid for it, sell/trade any physical versions and uninstall digital ones.

After that, select one or maximum two games to start playing (perhaps something quick and easy to pick up and something that requires more commitment). Play them until they're finished or you've had enough of them. Select a replacement each time you finish with one. And so on.

Once you've got through the remaining games, you can think about buying again. But never more than one or two at a time. Even if there's a big sale on, just get one or two - they'll all come round again. If there's something you'd rather play available 'free' on a subscription service, play that instead and don't buy anything.

And keep a wishlist containing only stuff you really want to play, and only buy games that are on it, not random purchases because they're cheap.

It's easy to do once you get into the swing of it, but I think the key thing is cutting some of your losses to start with, rather than feel you've got dozens of older games to plough through.
  • Aye, I’ve already made the intention of purging the PoS. Big time. Not time to play. Also cos I need the cash. And space.

Just gotta now find the time to sit down and go through them... Xmas break was perfect time to do so but I was busy playing spider-Man. :)
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!