Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker SPOILER THREAD
  • If we cast our mind back to the force awakens Rey is pretty handy with a sabre apropos of no training.

Edit: also in the last Jedi she does go through this whole zen thing about life being interconnected with death etc

And she has palpatine inside her - and it seems like knowledge and power can transmit through souls and he has ostensibly healing/resurrection powers.
  • I’m not 100% convinced the snake was the very first time we saw it, because I wasn’t remotely confused or surprised by what was happening.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    She's got plenty of transferable skills from fighting with her staff though.

I've got a bigger problem with the mind trick thing to be honest.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Is it the old Republic - revan?

Yes Old Republic: Revan. Deceived is good as well as is the Darth Bane trilogy. Fatal Alliance is so bloody good it should be a movie
  • if we're gonna fall out by digging deep on something that is glossed over in the film, let's make it about Palps having a secret son who not only passed on his power but somehow wasn't evil, and had a wife who also wasn't evil, both prepared to hide their daughter and die to keep her from him.
    i think it may have been mentioned in here earlier, but i think I'd have preferred if Rey was some kind of clone/creation destined to be a new body for Palps, rather than direct offspring lineage.

Wether or not it was clear that Rey knew she could heal before the snake thing seems a minor sticking point in comparison! :)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I don't remember a snake at all, I guess this all happened during the early bit of the movie, when I had a nap. Think I nodded off for about 10 minutes or so. Might've accidentally made the best edit of this film, cos I thought it was awesome.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • if we're gonna fall out by digging deep on something that is glossed over in the film, let's make it about Palps having a secret son who not only passed on his power but somehow wasn't evil, and had a wife who also wasn't evil, both prepared to hide their daughter and die to keep her from him.
    i think it may have been mentioned in here earlier, but i think I'd have preferred if Rey was some kind of clone/creation destined to be a new body for Palps, rather than direct offspring lineage.

Wether or not it was clear that Rey knew she could heal before the snake thing seems a minor sticking point in comparison! :)

Palpatine son explation was abit shit, though in his guise as supreme chancellor it was never once mentioned he had a family. I still think palpatine was written in as they messed up killing snoke as the prequels messed up by killimg maul off. I also prefer Rey being a clone. The last jedi hinted at that during the mirror scene. A fight against her Sith clone at the end would have been interesting.
  • I don't remember a snake at all, I guess this all happened during the early bit of the movie, when I had a nap. Think I nodded off for about 10 minutes or so. Might've accidentally made the best edit of this film, cos I thought it was awesome.
    That whole section of the film was rather contrived and ridiculous - tank track speeders, flipping flying storm troopers, the spaceship conveniently sat on top of a hill that no one else ever noticed or stole, finding the thing luke couldn't find by falling through some quick sand and 'oh there it is', threepio refusing to translate, Rey running and flipping and chopping the tie, chewie dying then not....
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message

Edit: also in the last Jedi she does go through this whole zen thing about life being interconnected with death etc

And she has palpatine inside her - and it seems like knowledge and power can transmit through souls and he has ostensibly healing/resurrection powers.

So it's just a naturally occurring thing because her granddad can do something similar? Although not the same thing I'm pretty sure, this seems to be the light side equivalent and polar opposite of the dark side life drain thing Palps had going on.

Anyway, we've had the lot now, she read it in a book, was trained by Luke or Leia or it runs in the family. Probably more will be revealed when the Mandalorian ends, or in it's second series. Theories coming from everywhere. Proper JJ Abrams stuff, open one mystery box and another three fall out. Lest we forget:
    "I bought this decades ago, but if you look at this, you'll see it's never been opened. Ever," said Abrams. "Why have I not opened this, and why have I kept it?… It represents infinite possibility. It represents hope. It represents potential. What I love about this box — and what I realized I sort of do, in whatever it is that I do — is I find myself drawn to infinite possibility and that sense of potential. And I realize that mystery is the catalyst for imagination... What are stories besides mystery boxes?"

Infinite possibility, hope and potential. In other words, he can't decide what to do so leaves as many doors open as possible in the hope that you select some stuff from all available possibilities and knit yourself a coherent story.
  • Watched it last night, and came out happier than I had with The Last Jedi.

However, throughout the movie I kept thinking that some of the decisions in this film (return of The Emperor, and Ray being his granddaughter) were brought about because of TLJ killing most of the characters and undermining most of what had been built up in TFA.

I was slightly disappointed by Chewie bring on a different transporter, rather than being killed. I love Chewie, but it seem a bit of a cop out. His anguished roar on finding out about Leia’s death was actually heartbreaking though.

I loved the appearance of Wedge though, that moment even received a “wow!” from Mrs Prime, despite her not being a big Star Wars fan.

I’ll watch it again, hopefully soon, as on the whole, I enjoyed it. Flawed but fun.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The reason I can't truck with a lot of this conversation is with phrases like "undermining" when it was actually developing or adapting. It just throws TLJ under the bus whether intentionally or not.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    The reason I can't truck with a lot of this conversation is with phrases like "undermining" when it was actually developing or adapting. It just throws TLJ under the bus whether intentionally or not.

Yeah that's the best thing about this film.

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Definitely intentional. Ghost Luke catching the lightsaber Rey was going to burn was a direct hit on the weak spot for massive damage. Did he say something about these things shouldn't be thrown away? Along those lines anyway.
  • I wish I could sit next to Rian johnstone while he watches this movie for the first time!
  • regmcfly wrote:

I don’t hate TLJ, but it seemed to dismiss some of the ‘mysteries’ built up throughout TFA.

It gave me, maybe wrongly, that there didn’t seem to be a complete story arc for the trilogy, almost like it was unplanned properly.

“Undermining” was probably the wrong choice of word, so apologies for that.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    No apologies needed, it's your own point of view.
  • I wish I could sit next to Rian johnstone while he watches this movie for the first time!

Hahaha. That would be a sight. Unfortunately he did impress someone at disney as he is getting his own triology to direct.

https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/upcoming-star-wars-movies/
  • Watched this last night. It was OK. There were plenty of moments that made my inner 8 year old squeal, but it felt very much like that’s all there was.

Kind of a McDonalds movie, you knew what you were going to get, and sure enough you got it, but nothing more, and it’s ultimately not remotely nourishing. (I appreciate I may have taken that metaphor too far.)

Ultimately it just felt lazy, and cowardly. The desire to throw TLJ under the bus was utterly arbitrary- there are things that would have worked better if they’d kept them... (The cavalry at the end would have been infinitely more meaningful, if we had kept TLJs “anyone can be an awesome Jedi” message for instance... Whilst Poe’s struggle with leadership could have been more effective if allowed to reflect on his failures from before.). Though at least they had the sense to use Luke’s final moments from TLJ to inform Leia’s exit, and provide a decent ending for her.

So, yeah, it did what was expected - nostalgia and restoration of the status quo - but made the whole Star Wars Universe much smaller as a result.
  • I like how Palpatine only has one strategy in his playbook, which is "show friends losing space battle through window".
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    She's got plenty of transferable skills from fighting with her staff though.

Good for the CV, although...

I've got a bigger problem with the mind trick thing to be honest.

"You don't need to see my CV."
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I like how Palpatine only has one strategy in his playbook, which is "show friends losing space battle through window".

And it worked both times too
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I read someone else complaining we didn't see the sweep boy from TLJ being a Jedi in this. What was JJ supposed to do, put aging make-up on everyone and have it take place half a generation later to follow up on the democratisation thing?

Both Abrams and Johnson are guilty of trying to have their cake and eat it in attempting to cover the beginning, middle and end in both sets of contributions despite the fact that neither had a remit for all three.

IMO Abrams has been left in a situation where it was inevitable he would take shit for not taking up plot points from TLJ because they just weren't appropriate plot points for the middle movie of a trilogy. Broom boy at the end of Rise would have been a nice coda. In TLJ it's a weird artefact of Johnson having ideas for different sections of the story but having to ram everything into the middle section. There is simply no way that thread could be resumed in Rise, it's outside of the timeframe of the trilogy.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • what's the deal with broom boy? Why does he have to be a thing? I thought the boy was just some symbolism.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Me too. It was just a wee optimistic note at the end
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Broom boy should’ve been Palpatine’s new Sith apprentice and fought Rey. Could’ve reused the animation from Yoda’s fight with the emperor in the prequels. Rey beheading the little shit would’ve been satisfying.
    Things can only get better.
  • Andy wrote:
    I’m not 100% convinced the snake was the very first time we saw it, because I wasn’t remotely confused or surprised by what was happening.
    It's in the mandalorian innit
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Abrams' quotes have been very telling around the concepts for this movie.
    Why is Palpatine in it?
    "Why wouldn't he be?"
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cinemablend.com/news/2485736/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-director-jj-abrams-has-a-simple-reason-for-including-palpatine

And why is Rey Palpatine's granddaughter? To one up The Last Jedi.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/comicbook.com/starwars/amp/2019/12/21/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-jj-abrams-explains-twist-emperor-palpatine-legacy-lineage-rey-palpatine/

I'm reading into those with my own interpretation, of course, but still, it feels a little dull. Looking back at Rian Johnson talking about Rey being no one feels far more actually in tune with the world of Star Wars.

Johnson compared his decision to the Darth Vader revelation in The Empire Strikes Back. The reason the “I am your father” line resonates so strongly, he explained, is not just because it’s a surprise—but because it’s the “hardest possible thing that Luke, and hence the audience, could hear at that moment.”

“You’ve had a bad guy that you can hate, that you can project your shadow on to just cleanly—and he’s evil . . . With that one line, ‘I am your father,’ suddenly that easy answer gets taken away from you, and he’s something that our protagonist has a relationship to,” Johnson said.

By comparison, Rey learning that she was related to someone like Luke Skywalker would have been “the easiest thing she could possibly hear.”

“The hardest thing to hear is, ‘Nope, this is not gonna define you,’” Johnson added. “And, in fact, Kylo is gonna use this to try and undercut your confidence so you’ll feel you have to lean on him for your identity . . . you’re gonna have to make the choice to find your own identity in this story.”

9ba2ba83-971c-4d59-8bc9-90271f33856f_screenshot.jpg

• This showed up on my YouTube and predates the last Jedi. Pretty fun. Might be one of those: this is the one that is showing up now because of what is true (eg in a different world a Luke Skywalker is reys dad shows up because that’s what is factually true]

• acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Can anyone explain why the place where the death star was wasn't not the ework planet/moon? And why it wasn't like in smithereens given how it got blowed up? Thanx
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Abrams' quotes have been very telling around the concepts for this movie.
    Why is Palpatine in it?
    "Why wouldn't he be?"
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cinemablend.com/news/2485736/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-director-jj-abrams-has-a-simple-reason-for-including-palpatine

And why is Rey Palpatine's granddaughter? To one up The Last Jedi.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/comicbook.com/starwars/amp/2019/12/21/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-jj-abrams-explains-twist-emperor-palpatine-legacy-lineage-rey-palpatine/

I'm reading into those with my own interpretation, of course, but still, it feels a little dull. Looking back at Rian Johnson talking about Rey being no one feels far more actually in tune with the world of Star Wars.

Johnson compared his decision to the Darth Vader revelation in The Empire Strikes Back. The reason the “I am your father” line resonates so strongly, he explained, is not just because it’s a surprise—but because it’s the “hardest possible thing that Luke, and hence the audience, could hear at that moment.”

“You’ve had a bad guy that you can hate, that you can project your shadow on to just cleanly—and he’s evil . . . With that one line, ‘I am your father,’ suddenly that easy answer gets taken away from you, and he’s something that our protagonist has a relationship to,” Johnson said.

By comparison, Rey learning that she was related to someone like Luke Skywalker would have been “the easiest thing she could possibly hear.”

“The hardest thing to hear is, ‘Nope, this is not gonna define you,’” Johnson added. “And, in fact, Kylo is gonna use this to try and undercut your confidence so you’ll feel you have to lean on him for your identity . . . you’re gonna have to make the choice to find your own identity in this story.”

9ba2ba83-971c-4d59-8bc9-90271f33856f_screenshot.jpg

JJ Abrams is my new hero reg, thanks for bigging him up ITT

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!