The Badger thread of Christmas traditions past and present
‹ Previous123
  • Tell us all how chrimbo used to be when your where a kid and what you do now.

A seasonal thread of reminiscing about the good old days and celebrating Christmas love for badger families now.

Happy Christmas Badgers one and all
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • I bet smartphones have made Christmases a bit less social overall, dead easy to zone out and go elsewhere. Probably both a good and a bad thing.
  • I watched Bernard and the Genie on Sunday as I have done most years since 1994.
  • I also wrap the presents to a full season of Iasinp, weirdly.
  • My brother
    And
    I used to get a stocking on our bed it always contained a beano annual for
    Me and a dandy for him an orange a
    Selection box
    And a tube of sweets.

We weren’t allowed to wake mum
    And dad until seven then we had
    An arm chair each with our presents on.

Always had to go to church. Always had lunch at half one. Queens speech and then tree presents (small presents dotted round the tree like decorations)

Always had pate and toast for tea and then bed.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    We got an armchair each too.  :)  sisters had the sofa.

We were given a budget which we could use in a catalogue (Kays , Freemans later). God Bless my parents - they probably took most of the following year to pay it off as there was 4 of us and I'm from a modest background. There would be a few extra surprise presents on top of what we asked for. Wrapped presents from relatives were placed out too.

I remember the smell of the turkey cooking as my mother seemed to slow cook it overnight. I don't remember a gammon/ham being with the dinner until we were older. It was steak and chips on Christmas Eve.

We would get up pretty early - as long we didn't wake anyone on the way downstairs that was allowed. pre-central heating so the house was freezing - I remember shivering while opening presents. Usually went back to bed and slept until mid morning.

There was usually a selected film the family would watch. I remember the premier of Wizard of Oz being a big deal. There was also a Disney clip show, Disney Time , hosted by a celeb - that was usually shown around 5pm or so on holidays like Christmas and Easter. Seeing a Disney clip back then was a big deal (pre VHS remember). The 70s - 80s stalwarts Christmas specials were required viewing too - it was very much family around the TV.

Small easy peel orange and apple at bottom of stocking. Someone usually got a mini Cadbury vending machine that took 2p pieces and dispensed individually wrapped Dairy Milk squares. Selection boxes and annuals were regulars too. One aunt was able to source paprika flavour crisps shaped like Pringles - this was in the late 70s and was quite a thing.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • My Mum's favourite christmas movie has become Elf over the years, and for the last few years she always messages with a picture of it on the TV the first time it's on every year. Legend. 

I was also assigned an armchair for presents when I was a kid as well. Breakfast was always scrambled egg with smoked salmon on toast. Always go for a walk in the afternoon after lunch - obviously any new hats/scarves/whatever garments are mandatory if received. Turkey sarnies with a big mug of tea in the evening, then bed. 

Best day.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Smashing thread, very merry Christmas Bob.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I’ve been through so many different family Christmas traditions over the years, I can’t really remember my own. I don’t mean that as a bad or sad thing. I’ve been lucky. Every girlfriend I ever had meant a whole new way of doing Christmas. Because my parents split up when I was a kid, I was never pushed into any one way or another. So when I met a girl, I let her run Christmas.

It’s still that way for me. Christmas is spent with my wife’s family. And they’re awesome. Her eldest sister orders every single item in the Marks & Spencer Christmas food catalogue. We all turn up and eat it. This is a fine plan.
  • I’m the same pop - no close family now and my wife and her family go mental for it and we seem to spend the entire day opening presents obviously it mostly revolves around Austin now.

They always cook a ham. Always have a special champagne (it’s not champagne it’s Asti) cocktail and play a lot of board games I’ve never seen anywhere else in the evening and some made up cardgame
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Only ever missed one Christmas in my mother's home. I still get a selection box every year. 

We like to try a new board game every Christmas, sometimes they work well (Carcassone), sometimes they don't (War on Terror). I have Junta lined up for this year. We can always fall back on Trivial Pursuit, though. Especially as I inevitably win.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Ahh, I haven't got a new board game! It was murder in Hong Kong last year, I would recommend it. Its great.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    My parents used to always have a bottle of prosecco and open their presents at midnight so Christmas was for me and my sister, which think is really sweet. They also got a bottle of prosecco while we were sleeping. Stockings on our beds in the morning, and then shouts of santa santa.

There would always be a jigsaw puzzle from santa and that was the job for boxing day (guess if my parents were too "tired and emotional" it's a good quiet activity.)
    Most of my Christmases are recorded coz dad had a camcorder. I'm an excitable brat. Nothing much changed then.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    So when I met a girl, I let her run Christmas.

Here is wisdom.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Our Christmas day since the girls have grown up has involved a board game OR a Wii Party Boardgame Island session.

Sequence and Christmas themed Monopoly. Sequence is good though because it has a short game time so we can get a series in.  I've got Crabs was bought last year but we ended up with Christmas Monopoly instead.

Someone is getting Harry Potter Trivial Pursuit this year so I can't see us dodging that one.  I'll have to sub in classic cards for Wifey and I.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Definitely some familiar traditions here. I remember going through the Argos and Index catalogues to make our Christmas lists.

On the day there was always a stocking on the end of the bed with a few small toys/puzzles and the classic easy peel orange at the bottom. Stocking gifts had to keep me and my brothers occupied until we could wake our parents.

Everyone had to be washed and dressed before we were allowed to go downstairs and then it was tearing into the sack of presents from Santa (perched on the sofa). A brief stoppage for breakfast and then onto presents under the tree from family.

We spent a lot of Christmases at my grandparents in NI too where there was a huge feast and often around 15 people for lunch. Post lunch was lounging with full bellies watching TV, playing with some of the new games. Leftover sandwiches for tea (if needed) before bed, likely in a new set of PJs.
  • I have only the faintest memories of christmases with both my parents together before they spilt.
    After that the next few years were a mess at Christmas, both parents divorced in a very angry and messy way and my brother and I were caught in the middle and Christmas was always awkward and difficult because my dad hated my mums boyfriend and refused to let us be around him which meant that we couldn’t go to my mums at all.
    My mum hated the fact that we wanted to live at my dads so that was awkward.

In the end we pretty much did a low key Christmas at my dads and then would meet my mum at a friends house or at a nice restaurant.
    It was a real shit show. Probably why I don’t really look forward to Christmas every year and why it feels me with such anxiety and dread. Also probably why I’m such an introvert who hates spending time surrounded my lots of people.

Now I’ve married a wonderful woman who adores this time of year and loves spending time with her family (that has no stupid family arguments and politics) so I pretty much hand over the Christmas period to her and just go where I’m told.

My in laws do Christmas in a huge way, it’s like a week long event in which everyone arrives and stays at their big house in Jersey, they all have huge meals every night and everyone’s kids run riot.
    They have the worlds largest Christmas tree and it’s always filled with millions of presents underneath plus a massive stocking each filled with individually and beautifully wrapped tat.
    It’s lovely. And stresses me out so much as it’s impossible to find 2 minutes of peace and quiet when you have close to 20 people living together. But my wife loves it, the kids are spoilt rotten and have the best time and it’s nice to be in a family home where everyone loves each other and loves your company.

It’s so weird for me.

But I’m getting used to it.

Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Sorry, that was a bit bleaker than expected for such a lovely thread.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I know what you mean Wookie. Not bringing the thread down, but shitty parents divorce (and pre that lots of arguments and violent fighting) meant that Christmas as kids wasn't that great.

But I think that's why I love it now. From times with my daughter when she was little she'd be super excited, but then as a teen she was the typical lazy sod, and it was me and her mom who were excited. We'd go into her room at 6am on Christmas Day to drag her out of her bed. Then we'd typically have smoked salmon and scrambled egg bagels with mimosas. I'd be the one to prep and cook dinner. And it would typically just be the three of us. Then Boxing Day would be a family party (on the missus' side) where all her family got together. They were really the typical 80's/90's middle class family party with vol au vents, prawn cocktail etc. Very dry affairs.

More recently, I've grown to love Christmas even more and watch lots of Christmas films over the period (good and bad ones) going to visit family and friends, and eating far too much. 

Anyway, Merry Christmas one and all!
  • How do you fit a Beano album in a stocking?
  • Current tradition is wake up hungover, cooked breakfast of sausage, egg, bacon etc, glass of prosecco from mum if she's not working, feel a bit better after that I'll have another one thanks, open presents once my brother emerges, down to the village pub about midday for a few swift ones, back home after that for lunch, then booze until sleep.

When my dad was alive post-lunch and into the evening would be lining up empty cans on the hedge at the back of the garden and taking turns with the air rifle to pop them off. My dad and brother could rarely, if ever, hit them whilst ol' nmd here could pop them off at a good 90% hit ratio or so. My mum got rid of the air rifle when my dad died and it's genuinely one of the things I miss most about christmas.

If me mum's working then all of the above except presents occur on her return in the afternoon.
  • Stockings at the end of the bed. We were allowed to open these first on our own.
    Then I would hassle my brother for at least 2 hours before he would agree we should wake up my parents.

Like others we had an armchair each of presents to go ham on.
    Then presents from family "because they might call in a minute".

Eat a whole tube of Jelly Tots before breakfast.
    Dad goes for a run.

Christmas lunch, then a reluctant walk.
    Dad washes up from lunch while listening to his new CDs.

Once back from the walk we would get our main present, the big daddy one. Games console or massive Lego set or whatever.

Sandwiches and nibbles for tea.
    Always ALWAYS one of those trays of snacks with pretzels, little fish shaped crackers and mini Ritz. Also cheese footballs, which look to be discontinued this year so that is a tradition gone.

Playing with our presents, building Lego etc has now evolved into family board game time in the evening.

Boxing Day we would go to my grandparents and do it all over again. We always had to dress up smart for Boxing Day.
  • I'm enjoying the modern tradition of falling out over Star Wars films also.
  • What's the skinny on the new one, are thumbs up or down?
  • We're trying to figure out where chewie does his shits.
  • God imagine the matted hair around his gary.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    No real good Christmas memories here, my parents both got made redundant when I was 8 (within a week of each other) so there was never really any money around. Which because I hadn't lived with money, was no real difference to me. So I have never been one to look forward to Christmas.

Now the wife and I do our version. We go and buy really nice cheese from the awesome cheese shop in Melbourne CBD, and have that with wine on Christmas Eve.
    Christmas Day is bubbles for brekkie, then a lazy day of something interesting food wise (usually whatever takes our fancy, this year is going to be a 4 hour slow cooked leg of lamb with salads) with more wine, and the afternoon is usually a massive boardgame fest.

Yeah, we don't have kids....!
  • nick_md wrote:
    We're trying to figure out where chewie does his shits.

I want to know the answer but I'm not ready to click on the thread.
  • Sorry, that was a bit bleaker than expected for such a lovely thread.
    Mate no apologies required sounds awful
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    We're trying to figure out where chewie does his shits.

I want to know the answer but I'm not ready to click on the thread.

In the woods

• This makes me realise the only tradition we have is at some point during the festive period we used to get the Pub Skittle board out at my grandparents. Other than that, nothing is fixed. Bit lame really.
‹ Previous123

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!