The New Years Resolutions List
‹ Previous12
  • Its almost that time of year again, for promises to be made and broken a few days later. Anyway what are your new year resolutions?

Mine, nothing exciting just standard stuff.

1.Get house move sorted by end of january.

2.Speak and see my siblings and parents more.

3.Lose some weight / just get toned up. Harder said than done with my niggling injuries but a food plan should help.

4.Get at least 2 or the 3 outstanding certifications i ideally need for my career, completed by the end of the year.

5. Save for a ps5 or new xbox and tv.

6. Try to get through my backlog of books i have to read, never mind my backlog of games.

7. Try to save for a holiday in September
  • Andy wrote:

Good video. Love the every day calender device.

http://www.simonegiertz.com/every-day-calendar
  • 1. Dry January - (Those who remember last year will recall it didn't go well but I'm resolved to try harder)
    2. Drink Less
    3. Walk
    4. Do something constructive with the Boy more often.. He love's making, painting, drawing and coloring and I'd like to encourage this more.
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Get back to the weight I was this time last year (need a stone off)

1CC 2 shmups.

Walk more
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’d say stuff but what’s the point. I’ll fail after a couple of weeks! But I’ll try all the usual stuff.
  • God knows. Carry on failing in incrementally smaller steps over the next decade so that maybe one day I’ll be happy is a good start I guess?
  • I'm a try and live long enough to get my passport and a holiday and maybe propose some time this year.
  • digi wrote:
    I'm a try and live long enough to get my passport and a holiday and maybe propose some time this year.
    Love this good luck Davi
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • Bob wrote:
    digi wrote:
    I'm a try and live long enough to get my passport and a holiday and maybe propose some time this year.
    Love this good luck Davi

Cheers Bob, I'm optimistic as always.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Haven't you already got a fiance though?
  • Haven't you already got a fiance though?

Yeh I asked her to get engadged before, not to get married.
    Everyone thinks we have a date set etc but that was never the idea.
    We are a little bit diffrent and a bit silly but that's how we are.
  • I'd really love my New Year's Resolution to be "get published more" but it's such a crapshoot and I am not very good at the consistency when I am dealing with work and uni. But sure, that can be one of them.
  • 1. Get this Unreal training cracked and get together something to present to potential and existing clients.

2. Move from being an extra pair of hands/additional staff member type freelancer into landing bigger contracts based on deliverables over day rates.

3. Get my flat on the market and get into a house, wherever that ends up being.

4. Cut back massively on Mr Booze because I will need to if I am to achieve the above.

5. Attempt to be less judgemental and dismissive, slow down those thought processes by putting in some consideration speed bumps.

6. Understand that slipping on the above list isn't failure, it will happen, I only fail if I give up.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I'd really love my New Year's Resolution to be "get published more" but it's such a crapshoot and I am not very good at the consistency when I am dealing with work and uni. But sure, that can be one of them.

Maybe change it to something you have more control over. You will submit something every 2 to 4 weeks? Only speaking for myself but I prefer targets that I have control over.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I have two main resolutions for the year ahead and they are similar to those already mentioned. 

1. Cut way, way down on alcohol. I am relying on it way too much. Have reduced the quantity but not the frequency, and want to ideally get down to once a week at the most. I find it hard because of my paranoia and anxiety to not drink to help relieve the harmful thoughts, but I know that I can do it if I am determined and don't attack myself for not being better.

2. Get some serious work done on my book project, do interviews with interesting people and hopefully provide people in pain and fear with something that helps them see life in a better light.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    I'd really love my New Year's Resolution to be "get published more" but it's such a crapshoot and I am not very good at the consistency when I am dealing with work and uni. But sure, that can be one of them.
    Maybe change it to something you have more control over. You will submit something every 2 to 4 weeks? Only speaking for myself but I prefer targets that I have control over.

It's not really applicable for games writing really. Need to be able to buy shit, play it, work out a coherent through-line for an article. Not had any luck with more solid things like retrospectives and reviews. Edge never respond to me (maybe one ex-forumer is enough), and keeping abreast of gaming whilst you're knee deep in two jobs and a degree is tough. Probably better to set a meagre target for the year, like 10 articles, which is double what I managed this year.
  • Tempy wrote:

The video Andy linked is pretty good. About having specific resolutions and starting small. What about setting up your own website and publishing there to start with? Wont pay the bills but you can add it to your portfolio of work?
  • Yeah that video was good.
    I think I'm going to do the diary thing.
    I will probably get a day to day calender thing as well to track days without booze, I think I need to better visualise it to make progress.
  • I'd really love my New Year's Resolution to be "get published more" but it's such a crapshoot and I am not very good at the consistency when I am dealing with work and uni. But sure, that can be one of them.
    The video Andy linked is pretty good. About having specific resolutions and starting small. What about setting up your own website and publishing there to start with? Wont pay the bills but you can add it to your portfolio of work?

I have a portfolio of published already, no one reads stuff no-name writers put on blogs.

Apologies if this comes across as short. I know what I need to do, but unsolicited advice that I already know doesn't really help me combat the mental and physical stress of my depression, my jobs, my studies.

I know my limits, but I appreciate the thoughts all the same.
  • Tempy wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Tempy wrote:

It's not really applicable for games writing really. Need to be able to buy shit, play it, work out a coherent through-line for an article. Not had any luck with more solid things like retrospectives and reviews. Edge never respond to me (maybe one ex-forumer is enough), and keeping abreast of gaming whilst you're knee deep in two jobs and a degree is tough. Probably better to set a meagre target for the year, like 10 articles, which is double what I managed this year.

Not my field, but what about doing articles on other things that don't involve you needing to spend a lot of cash, just to see if your style works. Would've thought video-game journalist is a pretty full field
    SFV - reddave360
  • 1. Never go into the RoS Star Wars thread.
    2. Get some exercise - possibly start Yoga to help with my aching joints.
    3. Be actively kind to more people who have it worse than me.
    4. Play more Sea of Thieves
    5. Get drumming lessons
    Gamertag: gremill
  • 1. Never go into the RoS Star Wars thread.
    2. Get some exercise - possibly start Yoga to help with my aching joints.
    3. Be actively kind to more people who have it worse than me.
    4. Play more Sea of Thieves
    5. Get drumming lessons
    6. Avoid double posting
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Tempy wrote:

I have a portfolio of published already, no one reads stuff no-name writers put on blogs.

Apologies if this comes across as short. I know what I need to do, but unsolicited advice that I already know doesn't really help me combat the mental and physical stress of my depression, my jobs, my studies.

No offense taken. I sincerely hope things do get better for you buddy.

I will add an observation from my own perspective i have been reading Edge magazine since the early 90s. I couldnt tell you the name of a single writer (apart from jonB). Same for eurogamer or ign or any other blog or reviews ive come across. Personally i couldnt care less as its the standard(s) that sites/magazines create for their material that mean more to me. Thats my two pence. And its in no way shape or form unsolicited advice :)

• Dinostar77 wrote:
    Tempy wrote:

No offense taken. I sincerely hope things do get better for you buddy.

Seconded and I hope none caused.

SFV - reddave360
  • Not at all! I know it comes from a good place, it's just very much been a year

I am rounding it out by working from 7pm til 1am tonight as well too, predictably!
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Here are some sample resolutions for you all:
    1) Learn more about Star Wars lore and not get the Star Wars rong in the Star Wars thread.
    2) NEVER contradict EvilRedEye about Star Wars lore.
    3) Play more Nintendo 3DS and support the Silver Falls games when they come out in 2020 because Jesus, these people are releasing Nintendo 3DS games in 2020 and need our help and one of them is a puzzle game about a disabled lady, don't you CARE about INCLUSIVITY??? NO??? YOU ARE CANCELLED.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Personal resolution: shout less on my phone so that autocorrect doesn't continually try to convert ordinary words to block caps because it thinks that is the normal way to write them.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I’ll stick with my usual:

Avoid arbitrary start dates for anything I’d like to change.
  • Spoilsport
    SFV - reddave360
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Do something is mine, found a few niches I really want to explore but keep getting put off by minor roadblocks, hence e finding a few niches and not the one perfect niche. Get back to the East Mids, London is done for me I think, I need to have friends around me. Beyond that hopefully I can learn what I need to by actually committing my time properly and make the changes I want to see
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!