The Greatest Hit. RIP
  • Roujin wrote:
    Whens Placebo week?

No joke, I was gonna suggest Placebo for a turn.

My man.

This almost makes up for no one even mentioning Leave.
  • It’s been a long time since Loud Like Love.
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • FIVE FUCKING PAGES JESUS WHEN WILL SOMEONE MENTION LEAVE, GOD THIS PLACE IS SO FUCKING ANNOYING SOMETIMES I AUGHTA FLOUNCE THE FUCK OUT.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Flounce? That reminds me of a R.E.M song...it’s on the top of my tongue...
  • I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
  • poprock wrote:
    Roujin wrote:
    Whens Placebo week?

Fuck off. Molko’s always been a wanker.

QFPT
  • Nightswimming is their best for me, its the only one I would stick on repeat.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Whens Placebo week?

hahaha, can't really tell you, would defeat the purpose wouldn't it
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Roujin wrote:
    Whens Placebo week?

hahaha, can't really tell you, would defeat the purpose wouldn't it

Buddum tish
  • Regarding them being boring, without seeing the set in question, you cant really say they weren't. Usual does not equal on that night.

Speaking of RHCP, they were one of the most crushingly dull bands Ive ever seen, and I like them.
  • Regarding them being boring, without seeing the set in question, you cant really say they weren't. Usual does not equal on that night.
    If we’re going to be that pedantic, then Gremill should have said, “One of the most boring sets I have ever seen,” rather than, “One of the most boring bands...” But let’s not continue arguing or being negative about stuff, or saying which band we’ve seen we thought was duller.
  • Andy wrote:
    Regarding them being boring, without seeing the set in question, you cant really say they weren't. Usual does not equal on that night.
    If we’re going to be that pedantic, then Gremlin should have said, “One of the most boring sets I have ever seen,” rather than, “One of the most boring bands...” But let’s not continue arguing or being negative about stuff, or saying which band we’ve seen we thought was duller.

Unless anyone’s seen pearl jam in which case consider yourself the winner of I’ve seen the most boring band compo
  • @Poprock, tell your friend that I’d like detailed write-ups of all of R.E.M.’s studio albums on my desk first thing Monday, thank you.

Speaking of RHCP, they were one of the most crushingly dull bands Ive ever seen, and I like them.

Yeah, but if we take that approach you can't ever call a abnd good live, you might just have caught them on a good.

Regarding the chilli Peppers, I know what you mean. Last few times I saw them there was a real lack of energy with the exception of flea. That being said, like Madonna, more disappointing than bad.

I mean think back to those gigs were the band has no real chemistry, no crowd interaction and just goes through the motions.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Probably not the right thread but who was the best we’ve seen live?
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Yeah, but if we take that approach you can't ever call a abnd good live, you might just have caught them on a good.

Well no, because it was said in the context of "that I've seen".

Avenged Sevenfold are both one of the best bands I've ever seen live, and also one of the worst.
  • In the context you used it (as in not being usual) I think my point is valid but I get where you are coming from.

Specifically with Grem, we've all seen tons of acts I'm sure. Having seen some great acts and some awful, I just find it very hard for someone to say REM have a boring set or live act compared to so many other acts. I remember seeing the breeders in whelans, a venue and a band I like and they did nothing to engage the crowd. To me, thats a band that could be described as boring. Not because of their music, but because it really was just them playing the songs. Crowd might as well not have been there as far as they were concerned. 

I've seen loads of acts whose music does nowt for me, but I can see the effort put into their stage craft. Maybe I'm just taking the comment in a different way than intended.
    SFV - reddave360
  • JFC. To clarify, I never intended to say that I thought that REM were definitively a boring live band. Clearly they aren't, in a world with so many competitors for that title.

My comment was, as could be divined from the wording itself and application of a little bit of fucking common sense, that when I saw them live I thought (and still do) that it was one of the most boring live performances I'd ever seen. I even said that other people were enjoying them!

That I thought they were boring is mainly because I think that the music that REM makes is fundamentally boring, jangly, whining, beige, middle of the road pish - but that's just my opinion, which no doubt many think is both wrong headed and just plain wrong. That's fine, I can live with that and astonishingly the world will keep spinning and the fans love of the band both on record and live will endure despite, ultimately, my indifference towards them.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Bit testy there chief?

You made a claim,. Some of us disagreed with it. That's it.
    SFV - reddave360
  • You cant really disagree with someone's opinion like that though. The claim was something from his view, based on what he has experianced. Disagreeing with it is basically saying "your experiance is incorrect".

It doesnt invalidate the numerous shows people have seen REM at that they considered exciting.
  • Andy wrote:
    If we’re going to be that pedantic, then Gremill should have said, “One of the most boring sets I have ever seen,” rather than, “One of the most boring bands...” But let’s not continue arguing or being negative about stuff, or saying which band we’ve seen we thought was duller.

• No, because no one talks about seeing a set, they talk about seeing a band. That's frankly stupid.
  • Okay so I can't choose between Losing My Religion and The Great Beyond and Man On The Moon.

The Great Beyond.
  • You cant really disagree with someone's opinion like that though. The claim was something from his view, based on what he has experianced. Disagreeing with it is basically saying "your experiance is incorrect".

It doesnt invalidate the numerous shows people have seen REM at that they considered exciting.

Yeah, fair enough. I just saw it as something I felt was a little overblown. But point taken. Obviously didn't mean to imply that Gremills viewpoint wasn't legit.

SFV - reddave360
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Bit testy there chief?

You made a claim,. Some of us disagreed with it. That's it.
    No, I never made 'a claim' - I expressed an opinion that I thought a band I saw live were boring which apparently I was wrong about because I couldn't possibly have found them boring because you love them so much.

Who'd have thought that a band as boring as REM could incite such passions?

Edit: I'm going to leave this here for posterity, but for the record I'm just being knowingly and blatantly immature in that last sentence there.

• Now that just makes me look petty! I'm going to get out of everyone's way now.
  • He's having a go at Tom now!
  • Lol.
  • I’m coming down on Everybody Hurts
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    Well, this is a good point to say that REM are my favourite band of all time then....!

I'm going to sound a pretentious wanker and say that my favourite songs have never really been the hits, with one or two notable exceptions. It will become obvious that Monster and New Adventures are far and away my two favourite albums, and I really couldn't choose between them.

My shortlist goes something like this:

Radio Free Europe
    (Don't go back to) Rockville
    Cuyahoga
    Fretless
    Revolution
    Leave (Particularly the Alt version featured on the 1988-2003 best of)
    What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
    Strange Currencies
    Electrolite
    At my Most Beautiful

Despite the fact we had Strange Currencies played at our wedding, I think the song that has to take it is Electrolite - Michael's voice just really shines in this one, as well as the really great piano line.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!