The Greatest Hit. RIP
  • I think there are three stone-cold pop bangers to choose from. Back for Good, Could it be Magic and Relight my Fire.

Could it be Magic is the gay disco anthem. Joyful and carefree. It’s a sugar rush, empty calories.

Back for Good is their finest ballad. A genuinely well crafted song, but too serious and po-faced for me.

Relight my Fire is the one. Fucking genius getting Lulu on board for it too – she represents the core audience of Mums, but is still cool enough to actually add to the vibe rather than bringing it down.
  • The one from the Morrison’s ad!

Back for good.
    Never Forget.

Shout out to lil’ Mark Owen for Clementine which was a very good pop indie song that you could only secretly like at the time because obvs he was once in TT.
  • Not a band I know a lot about nor a band I'd ever feel has more than a passing appeal. For me it is Back for Good, Rule the World or Never Forget. All are pretty good tunes (are they all post Robbie?) although I never warmed to take thats vocals from the band as a whole.

Relight my fire isn't a bad pop song to be fair either. But I don't think I'd ever put a Take That song on deliberately.

I'll go for Never Forget
    SFV - reddave360
  • The one from the Morrison’s ad! Back for good. Never Forget. Shout out to lil’ Mark Owen for Clementine which was a very good pop indie song that you could only secretly like at the time because obvs he was once in TT.
    Ha. i was a secret Mark Owen fan post take that - his 'green man' album was pretty good, and Clementine is a tune.

also quite liked 'the circus' album when they came back as man band. that CD was in the car when we drove to hospital for the birth of our first child, so 'greatest day' is seared into our memory. 'Julie' and 'Hold up a light' from that album i liked too.

but 'Back for Good' is prob the ultimate Take That song.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Tough one this. Take That are for my money the greatest boy band ever, and they even managed to string together a bunch of hits on the comeback.

Back for Good and Never Forget are certainly good shouts so far. Relight My Fire is a cracker.
  • I've grown to like Take That as I've got older, probably part childhood-nostalgia (never into them back then, obviously). They have tunes for sure. Will spend some time digging.
  • I just cant get past Barlows voice. I cant say he is a bad singer, it just sounds like a wail more than singing.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Take that eh?  I did try last week and it's not something I'd bang the radio off for, but it's not for me.  Back for Good gets my vote.
  • So yeah, it's Back for Good.

Of the new tracks, Shine ran it close, but man, you can't beat Back for Good.
  • Listening to some Pet Shop Boys atm, they'd be a good shout for a round of this, lots of bangers.
  • Yeah that's a good shout and I should wrap up Take That.
    Let's give Take That until 8pm tonight.

Can start Pet Shop Boys now if you like.
    The Guardian recently did a top 100 UK number 1s and selected West End Girls as the winner.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Listening to some Pet Shop Boys atm, they'd be a good shout for a round of this, lots of bangers.

Looking through their singles, I don't know most of them, and what I do know I don't like.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Yeah that's a good shout and I should wrap up Take That. Let's give Take That until 8pm tonight. Can start Pet Shop Boys now if you like. The Guardian recently did a top 100 UK number 1s and selected West End Girls as the winner.
    West End Girls wouldn't even make my top 10 of PSBs tracks tbh. Sooooooo much good stuff to choose from.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Have to admit it isnt my favourite of theirs either although it is an ear worm.
  • Suburbia's a cracker (not my vote yet), but yeah lots and lots of great stuff.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Well this made me find out they popped out a new album in January, just digging into it now

As for their greatest, well they had a winning formula and hit it hard, so it really could be almost anything, so many scorchers

edit: slightly offtopic, but PSB kinds felt very punk and rebellious to me, mostly because with hindsight my foster parents were massive homophobes, in fact the small c conservatism in my house was bloody huuge, anyway, next video was Bronski Beat and wow that's pretty affecting, not only for it's time but still unfortunately seems like it might be relevant today

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B

• I'll be honest, not a band that I was every super keen but they were so big in my youth (or more precise, my older sisters youth) that I know lots of their songs without really loving them. But this one has a catchy chorus and it was the first to pop into my head when I saw the name come up.

Always found them a bit samey song to song, so I'm interested to see what comes up in this thread and see if it shines a fresh light.
    SFV - reddave360

• Love Comes Quickly.

EDIT: I only really know the singles of which there's plenty of good ones, WEG, Opportunities, Heart, Domino Dancing...
  • Sorry guys I've proper neglected this thread.
    In a better state now so let's get back to it.

Take That was Never Forget.

Any more for Pet Shop Boys?

I think we need to do a biggun next to get back on it. Suggestions welcome.
  • Have we done Bowie yet?
    SFV - reddave360
  • No.
    Let's Dance do Bowie!

Any Pet Shop Boys suggestions I will tally up over the weekend but feel free to Bowie.

Any iteration of Bowie, duets and whatever else is fine. Usual rules really.
  • I'm assuming his Glasto set is still on iPlayer which is as good a place as any to start.
  • Aside from Under Pressure and Lust for Life I don't think anything else he worked on can hold a candle to his own stuff, for which the list of contenders is extensive.

This might be the most enjoyable one for me.
  • I forgot about the Pet Shop Boys challenge. So many sad bangers to choose from. I think the only blanket statement I can make is that their early work outshines the later stuff.
  • Yeah, I'm a big fan of the classic early period PSBs, but they were so damn good I couldn't begin to pick a favourite I'm afraid.
    Still, as far as the Pet Shop Boys go, and fuck me how was this twenty nine years ago, I'll just post up this...

and in other great news, their lost film masterpiece It Couldn't Happen Here, has apparently just been released on Blu-Ray!

Both of these are essential viewing.
  • Bowie on the other hand is easy. It's...

closely followed by...
  • Bowie is very fucking far from easy, but I'm short on time so for now will say...

Station to Station

x

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!