Movie record 2020 edition
‹ Previous123456712
  • I actually ended up using Vere’s thread all through 2019, so let’s do it again.
    Verecocha wrote:
    Hvm3lL.gif

Gonna record ALLLLLL the movies I watch here this year …

I liked the short reviews/comments last year. Vere’s rule was a dozen words or less, but I broke that quite often. Some people like to leave scores, some don’t. It’s all good. You do you.

What did really work was making a new post every time you watch a movie, then copy/pasting that into your master list at the start of the thread. I’m gonna do that again.

Reading the list back at the end of the year was a nice thing.
  • London Has Fallen
    Big Gerard Butler saves the day again. Ridiculous macho ‘America fuck yeah!’ militarism.

Wild Rose
    Glasgow, country music and redemption. Surprisingly affecting and Jessie Buckley is fucking brilliant.

What Women Want
    No thanks to Mel ‘racist’ Gibson, but with Helen Hunt and Marisa Tomei this still stands up as a good light comedy.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
    Nothing memorable, but a solid finale to the trilogy of trilogies.

Destination Marriage
    Winona Ryder and Keanu Reeves in a low-budget indie romcom. Surely that’ll be worth watching? No. No, it really isn’t. Switched it off about 40 minutes in.

The Hustle
    Anne Hathaway and Rebel Wilson in a remake of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, with all humour removed and replaced by actual steaming horseshit.
  • Think I'll do this, this year. I often forget what I've watched...

1. The Sound of Music
    I've never seen it and I don't generally like musicals, but this was on and it's one of Vicky's favourites so I chose to subject myself to it - plus it's set in and around Salzburg which I have family connections to. Surprisingly I enjoyed it, almost entirely down to the iconic songs and Julie Andrews performance which is lovely. What an astonishing voice she had.

2. John Wick 3
    Much better than I thought it was going to be, despite it being basically a video game - although it was quite self aware too which helped. Great action though, nice long static shots with some hilarious deaths and a higher than average number of nut-shots, punches and bites.

3. Spies in Disguise
    Fairly standard kids film with Will Smith and Tom Holland in the lead roles. Super Spy Smith gets turned into a pigeon and 'hilarity' ensues. Pure beige, instantly forgettable.

4. Atomic Blonde
    Enjoyable clockwork spy action thriller with great performances and bone crunching action throughout. Theron is amazing as always.

5. Tomorrowland
    I really like this film. This was the second time I've watched it and I'm convinced it's a lost kids cult classic. Brilliant production design, a great story, a nice message of hope which becomes more prescient with every passing year and grumpy Clooney. Great Sunday afternoon fare.

6. Deadwood
    Or alternatively, 'Oldwood' - where everyone is a bit fatter or more withered than the last time you saw them. Finally finished re-watching the series and capped it off with this love letter to the show and it's characters. Finishes the story off brilliantly and brought genuine tears to my eyes.

7. Enemy of the State
    Superb conspiracy theory thriller turned hauntingly factual dystopian nightmare with the Don, Gene Hackman, and Will Smith playing an 'everyman' which he should do more often because it suits him more than any of his daft superhero schtick.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I'm in. Very much enjoy keeping the record. Just need to tie up 2019's viewing.

1. Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers
    Mick has another pop at his niece in another average sequel. **

2. The Standoff At Sparrow Creek
    Militia men linked to police shooting stand off in this tame whodunnit. **

3. Hereditary
    Family ties are stretched in this top notch ancestral nightmare. ****

4. Vice
    Portly Bale and heavyweight cast highlight in this interesting yet unenthralling biopic. ***

5. Under The Skin
    Scarlett Johansson picks up LUCKY SCOTTISH BASTARDS in Jonathan Glazer's audiovisual treat. ****

6. Hardcore Henry
    Bonkers full on style over substance first person shooter. Fuck John Wick. ***

7. Little Monsters
    Teacher, musician and kids battle zombie outbreak in this funny, cute zom-rom-com. ***

8. The Overnight
    Amusing comedy as two couple's dinner date serves up some revealing truths. ***

9. Four Lions
    Chris Morris' black comedy following hapless Sheffield jihadis and their radical aspirations. ***

10. 1917
    Epic, raw and personal piece of filmmaking, technically amazing, outstanding cinematography. ****

11. The Disaster Artist
    James Franco's ode to cult 'so bad it's good' film, The Room. ***

12. Us
    Jordan Peele's very inventive, demon doppelganger, thriller chiller. ****

12. Accident Man
    Standard Scott Adkins actioner. Needed less Guy Ritchie-esque scripting and more action. **

13. 8 Mile
    Eminem turns in decent self performance in this semi autobiographical rap tale. ***

14. Blue Ruin
    Hobo avenges parent's murder in this indie revenge thriller. ***

15. The Death of Stalin
    Iannucci's satirical Soviet comedy, whilst witty, didn't sustain my interest. **

16. Midsommar
    Swedish set pagan cult folk horror. Quirky, unnerving and excellent. ****

17. The Social Network
    Zippy and engaging nerdographical story of Facebook. ***

18. Pumping Iron
    The Terminator and The Incredible Hulk face off in muscley man doc. **

19. Wet Hot American Summer
    Limp Damp Camp Comedy. *
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X
  • In. Going to try for one a week.
  • 1. The Lighthouse. Eggers certainly knows how to do atmosphere! That was quite something.

2. Dora and the Lost City of Gold. Fairly entertaining tomb raider-lite for kids.

3. Knives Out. Catch the mouse, Squash his head, Put him in the pot. Decent film, in no way related to the Radiohead song.

4. Abominable. Nice looking but fairly average animated shiz.

5. The Irishman. Started in 2019, finished in 2020. Great film, not as good as goodfellas.

6. A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood. Solid feel-good Tom Hanks playing a guy that’s probably quite a lot like Tom Hanks.

7. Ex Machina First time I’ve watched this since the initial release. I remembered most of it really well, a testament to how good a film it is.

8. Jagten (The Hunt) Mads on top form. Tough watch this, especially in my line of work. Very emotive.

9. 1917. Don't know why they couldn't just call it quarter past seven like everyone else. Good film though, well worth seeing at the cinema on the nice seats with the extra big screen.

10. Frozen II. The kids remained interested for the majority of it, so it must be ok.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • 1. The Intern

First film of the new year. Not a particularly good film by any stretch but de Niro is oddly charming as the elderly Ben. I was strangely engaged through most of it. 

(5)

2. Attack the block

Fun movie, kind of like an urban dog soldiers. Been meaning to watch this for a while and glad I did

(7)

3. Hellboy (2019)
    Not sure what drew me to this last night but its not nearly as bad as I expected. It isn't great, but I enjoyed it and its a pity Harbour wont get another go at the role. 

(5)

4. The Untouchables

Seriously amazing film. So many classic scenes, generally good acting (de Niro and connery are a cut above though) and a really awesome score. De Palmas finest.

(10)

5. Ride Along 

Kevin Hart and Ice Cube go through the motions in a typical, bland american comedy. I like some of Harts stand up and he came across well in Jumanji but he aint enough to save this.

(3)

6. John Wick: Chapter 2

I'd seen this a while ago but couldnt remember much. So with Wick 3 on netflix, a refresher was needed. Still quite good fun but its much more one note than the first. It seems a much more simple plot and while there is world building going on, it's quite silly. Still, its good fun and I'm ready for the next chapter.

(6)

7. Inside Out 

Watched this as a family movie and it brought out a lot of questions from my 6 year old daughter. It's a wonderful film that avoids being preachy while delivering some insight into the turmoil of growing up. One of the best mid-credits gags as well.

(9)

8. John Wick 3: Parabellum

Maybe one too many times back to the well for Keanu. Some great action scenes cant save a character (or actor) who is so basic. Keanus inability to show pain, fatigue or weariness ruins what was already an over cooked turkey. How much better would Montenson or Mikkleson been in the role? The Wicks world doesnt just creak but collapses under the layers of stodge.

(4)
    SFV - reddave360
  • 2020 off to a good start so far. Currently watching Thirst by Park Chan-Wook.
    "But enough talk. HAVE AT YOU!"
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'll try to do this properly this year too. I didn't record every film I watched last year, but when I did I enjoyed trying to squeeze a review down to 12 words.

My scoring :

1. Offensively bad. A film that makes me properly angry at the film makers and actors.

2. A terrible film. Multiple issues, how did this get made?

3. This is really bad. There is the germ of a good film in here somewhere, but this isn't it.

4. Some serious issues with plotting, writing or cinematography. Not worth it.

5. Overall a bad film, but not without some positives. I wouldn't watch it again though.

6. Not a great film but I got some enjoyment from it despite its flaws. I wouldn't choose to watch again, but wouldn't actively avoid it if it was on.

7. Really good fun, or a very interesting concept. It doesn't quite work but it's still a really enjoyable watch.

8. A great film. One I'll happily return to again and again.

9. Almost perfect in every way, an all time classic.

10. Perfect, there is nothing about the film that I could find fault with or want to alter in any way.

1. The Aeronauts - The RSC does Gravity in Victorian England. Well acted. Not for me. [6]

2. Le Mans '66 - A bostin film despite the barmy accent. Bale and Damon are great. [7]

3. Fury Road - Cinematicaly stunning high octane roller-coaster with some fantastic practical effects. [8]
  • I’m in for this.

Uncle Buck

I miss John Candy

Captain America : The Winter Soldier
    Still my favourite Marvel movie with my favourite Marvel hero. It’s a fun spy movie.

Mission Impossible Fallout

Some top tier A class Cruise action. Loved it for the fifth time!

Orgazmo

Now you’re a man, a maaao maaao maaan you’re a maaaaaaaannn! Now you’re a man!

Angel Has Fallen

The previous two films were shite, fell asleep in the last one. This one though was good fun!

Ad Astra

Brad Pitt deals with his daddy issues by adventuring to Neptune. Was pretty good but felt inferior to Intersteller

Long Shot
    Really liked this. Funny and Seth Rogan was not as annoying as I normally find him.
    3DS friend code - 4725-7938-9169
  • 1. Thirst [8] - 1/1

2. 1917 [9] - 18/1
  • 1. Thirst
    Park Chan-Wook does it again, this time with a vampire story. 

[8]
  • The Sound of Music
    I've never seen it and I don't generally like musicals, but this was on and it's one of Vicky's favourites so I chose to subject myself to it - plus it's set in and around Salzburg which I have family connections to. Surprisingly I enjoyed it, almost entirely down to the iconic songs and Julie Andrews performance which is lovely. What an astonishing voice she had.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I didn't do the master list thing, oops, will try to remember to do that this time. I did enjoy condensing thoughts down to dinky one sentence reviews as well. Given my natural state is either stream of consciousness rants or one word uberbitchy it was a good exercise
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Wild Rose
    Glasgow, country music and redemption. Surprisingly affecting and Jessie Buckley is fucking brilliant.
  • Captain America : The Winter Soldier
    Still my favourite Marvel movie with my favourite Marvel hero. It’s a fun spy movie.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    I'll try to remember to follow through and post here following my Twitter reviews more often this year...

I've been enjoying reading all yours in any case.

1. The Gentleman Best 'Guy Ritchie' Guy Ritchie film since Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. [7]

2. Jojo Rabbit Don't see it expecting an out-and-out comedy, it's so much more than that. [9]

3. 1917 Spectacularly produced but frustratingly disjointed pseudo single-take First World War experience. [8]

4. Seberg Intriguing if meandering activism biodrama, although Kristen Stewart is as watchable as ever. [6]

5. Just Mercy Emotive civil rights drama concerning shockingly recent criminal injustice in the Deep South. [8]

6. Waves Intoxicating, if occasionally ponderous, stream of consciousness examination of a family in crisis. [8]

7. Bombshell High profile but surprisingly unengaging expose of systematic sexual harrassment at Fox News. [6]

8. Spies in Disguise Reasonably enjoyable if relatively unmemorable animated spy spoof. One for the pigeon fanciers. [6]

9. Cats Nonsensically weird yet oddly compelling musical extravaganza featuring a mixed bag of songs. [6]

10. The Private Life of David Copperfield Inventively engaging Dickens adaptation with an excellent cast. Iannucci's best film so far. [8]
  • John Wick 3
    Much better than I thought it was going to be, despite it being basically a video game - although it was quite self aware too which helped. Great action though, nice long static shots with some hilarious deaths and a higher than average number of nut-shots, punches and bites.
  • Mission Impossible Fallout

Some top tier A class Cruise action. Loved it for the fifth time!
  • So far in 2020 I've watched:

shazam

Mindless pish.

star wars:rise of skywalker

Utter tosh, load of shite. Only redeeming feature was watching it in IMAX. If I'd paid for the ticket I'd be after a refund.
  • Orgazmo

Now you’re a man, a maaao maaao maaan you’re a maaaaaaaannn! Now you’re a man!
  • Yes I’ve had a film day
  • 1. The Lighthouse. Eggers certainly knows how to do atmosphere! That was quite something.
  • 1. The Greasy Strangler
    Starting the year off right. Like Napoleon Dynamite turned up to 11 with added sex and violence. It takes a deft touch to make something so weird and gross actually work. I liked it more than I probably should have
    [9]

2. Little Women
    Completely and utterly splendidly excellent at times. But not quite the whole time for me. Florence Pugh is a gem.
    [8.5]

3. Jumanji: The Next Level
    Not quite as zippy as the first but still pretty fun and funny in places
    [6]

4. Zombieland: Double Tap
    I enjoyed this more than I thought I might. Helped by the leads all being great, charming actors. Shame the final section comes from nowhere is kinda rushed.
    [7]

5. Free Fire
    A fun, small movie with excellent sound design. I just wish the film set up the spacial side of it a bit better, I struggled to know where people were when it was just shots of people shooting out of the frame.
    [7]

6. Xmen: Dark Phoenix
    Starts quite well. Made me wonder why it got such bad reviews. Then it managed to fail in everything it attempted to do due to poor writing and terrible execution.
    [3]

7. Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2
    Even though Katniss is a rather annoying character I have enjoyed this series. There's been some cool direction that's fancier than these films usually are. It doesn't quite pull it all off to finish but it's not too bad. Shame PSH couldn't be in it more, he really elevated Part 1
    [6]

8. JoJo Rabbit
    Taika does his thing again. Touching and funny and nice to look at. I think Boy is still my fave of his.
    [8]

9. 1917
    There's a part of me that thinks I should drop the score a point for a few reasons but it comes back to me needing to compose myself when asked if I liked it as the credits rolled because I was close to a mild emotional breakdown. A stunning achievement.
    [10]

10. Always Be My Maybe
    Wanted something light to start my day and this was a good choice. Doesn’t do anything new but it’s funny and fun to watch.
    [7]

11. Centurion
    A 3 hour LotR style epic poorly written and crammed into an hour and a half. Neil Marshall should stick to small scale stuff.
    [4]

12. Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Dated a bit but I can see why I loved it as a kid.
    [6]

13. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
    Dang this is a dark film. Can’t really imagine how my parents let me watch this as a kid.
    [6]

14. Brightburn
    A woefully put together film with an interesting concept. None of the characters react appropriately throughout the film.
    [3]

15. Peanut Butter Falcon
    A nice little heartfelt movie. Skips about a bit in terms of pacing but it works.
    [7]

16. My Life as a Zucchini (Courgette)
    Wonderful and sweet little animation with a slight hard edge too
    [9]

17. Galaxy Quest
    Still a classic. Only a few years after Jurassic Park it's amazing to see the progress they'd made in effects.
    [8]

18. We Need to Talk About Kevin
    Expertly made and quite uncomfortable. Lynne Ramsay is so good.
    [9]

19. The Perfection
    Probably a good idea for a film on paper but poorly executed 
    [5]
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    1. Thirst
    Park Chan-Wook does it again, this time with a vampire story. 

[8]

Been a long time since I've seen this. Need to check it out again.

The Daddy wrote:
    1. The Lighthouse. Eggers certainly knows how to do atmosphere! That was quite something.

My most anticipated movie of this year. Not out till Feb I think. I know it's "available" but I'd like to cinema it.
  • 1. Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers
    Mick has another pop at his niece in another average sequel. **
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X
  • 1. The Greasy Strangler
    Starting the year off right. Like Napoleon Dynamite turned up to 11 with added sex and violence. It takes a deft touch to make something so weird and gross actually work. I liked it more than I probably should have
    [9]

I’m not sure it really worked for me. I remember downloading and years ago and being less than impressed.
  • I'm not even sure why it worked for me really. It did drag a bit as it went on in its one-note way but I found bits to grab onto as it went.
    I thought but I find it genuinely funny at times (the potato chip bit was the right kind of silly) and every time the lady from Eastbound and Down did her disco dance it made me laugh too.
    It reminded me of what I liked about Napoleon Dynamite.

The producer of Strangler directed a movie last year called Come To Daddy. It's worth checking out. Not quite as weird but still kooky.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    1. The Lighthouse. Eggers certainly knows how to do atmosphere! That was quite something.

My most anticipated movie of this year. Not out till Feb I think. I know it's "available" but I'd like to cinema it.

Good idea, it would definitely benefit from the immersion you get in the cinema.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    That's also my most anticipated this year. Small dark cinema pls.
  • Cosby
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    1. Sunset Boulevard

Started the year with a classic and it's a well earned reputation. Ever so slightly hammy at the end but I love watching films when one of those all time quotes I never knew the origin of pops up - 'I'm ready for my close-up, Mr DeMille.'
‹ Previous123456712

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!