2020 52 Games in 1 Year Challenge!!
‹ Previous123
  • YgF9Cm.jpg

NEW DECADE NEW 52 GAMES IN A YEAR CHALLENGE!!

Welcome to the 2020 thread for badgers that fancy trying to play 52 games in a year to whatever they decide is some form of completion. Tell us how you're doing and what you are going to play next - either claim a post and update on your progress or keep posting your completions and then do a final count post at the end of the year! Even if you're not gonna make it to 52 and you’ve made efforts before and got nowhere near, it's a good way to record all your completions/failures/hates and give others your impressions or maybe get some info from them on said game!!

AnTzfW.jpg

So simple usual stuff!!

How do I take part?

Claim a post! Write down the game and your thoughts about each one in this format for your post:

1: NAME - DURATION PLAYED
    # INSERT INFO AND COMMENTS HERE

How do I know when I've completed a game?

Up to you, it could be completing the game or playing 10hrs+ if it no ending or a multiplayer game. Replays count as long as all the games are completed in 2019.

Do I have to record time?

No. But you can if you like!! If so you could potentially see how long you’ve spent on games this year and then wonder how you got away with it!

Do I have to review or comment on the games I complete?

No but it'd be nice to give a few words or maybe a quick score. Full blown reviews or mini-reviews aren't necessary and will just make it an incredibly big post,though they will be anyway.

Do episodic games count as a single game or X amount of games?

That's up to you. It's alright to count something like Life is Strange as one or five games. Your choice.

Can I finish a game I started in 1992 and count that?

Yes.

What should I do once I've completed the challenge?

Shoot me a PM! If it takes off and people keep me updated I'm more than happy to FINALLY sort out a prize system?

Is there a deadline?

End of the current year!!!!

People who have completed the challenge will be posted here, please send me a PM once you’re done or if I’ve missed you as it’s hard reading through them all as they end up being recorded everywhere!!

6ctchZ.jpg

Winners and in what year:

Muzzy in 18-52!!
    Wario in 18-52!!
    Moot in 18——72!!!!!!

Others results in past Years:
    Verecocha: 17-38, 18-22, 19-29 (STILL Pathetic)
    Hylian Elf: 17-25, 18-13, 19-12
    Muzzy: 17-59, 18-52
    Webbins: 17-27, 18-41
    Andy: 18-12
    Monkey: 18-7
    Wario: 18-52
    Moot: 18-72!!!
    JonB: 18-30
    Nina: 18-13

GOOD LUCK!! After the last couple 3 years of FAILURE I’m gonna need more than luck it BUT I’M MORE DETERMINED THAN EVER!!!

( Will update results and hall of fame ASAP! Just wanted it up and running before I was KILLED!)
  • 1.Star Wars: Jedi - Fallen Order - 18 hours - 8/10 - Xbox One X

Really didn’t like this for a good while. Felt clumsy, rushed, no connection to Star Wars, didn’t feel at all like a Jedi, absolutely sucked, but...I persevered and ended up absolutely loving it. When you have a few skills unlocked, a better connection to the force, a badass lightsaber and you get into the story it becomes amazing. By the end I enjoyed the characters, felt like I had control of the force and could dispatch enemies at will, hold my own against the bosses until I understood their patterns and kinda didn’t want it to end. That was awesome.
  • 1. Her Story (Mac) - [8] - 6/1 - 5hrs
    2. Baba Is You (Switch) - [No score] - 7/1 - 6hrs
    "But enough talk. HAVE AT YOU!"
  • Hooray! List goes here.
    1. Katana Zero (Switch)
    Spoiler:
    2. Ape Out (Switch)
    Spoiler:
    3. Skyblazer (Snes)
    Spoiler:
    4. Starfox (Snes)
    Spoiler:
    5. Starfox 2 (Snes)
    Spoiler:
    6. Trip World (Gameboy)
    Spoiler:
    --
  • Placeholder just in case.
  • 1. Heave Ho - Switch (6hrs)

Madcap same room cooperative multiplayer game that exploits its core mechanic flawlessly.  Each player controls the arms and hands of a...face with arms and hands.  The analogue stick stretches/flails both arms around in any given direction, the left trigger clutches onto surfaces with the left hand, the right trigger grabs hold with the right.  From there it's all about manipulating the character by any means necessary to reach the goal.  If you're holding the correct button as your hand brushes a surface, it sticks regardless of momentum.  Swing, fling and climb your way to victory, either while assisting or hindering other players, shouting encouragement at each other and/or screaming at the ceiling in frustration.  Once one player reaches the goal they can call a balloon for the other players.  Take ten minutes to finish a stage and you'll be assisted in some way by additional poles.   Because of the amount of consistent fun we all had with it each and every session every session, plus the fact that it retails for less than a tenner full price, I'm going all the way to [10] with this if played with three or more players.  Most definitely GotY 2019 for me.  I can't believe how good it is, and how good my 5yr old daughter is at it, was an absolute joy to play through with her and Mrs. Geeza even got involved here and there.  An absolute hoot, I don't think I've had this much fun with same room mp since Monkey Target (and I LOVE Nidhogg & Towerfall Ascension). 

2. Crazy Zen Minigolf - Switch (1hr)

60% off if you pre-ordered should've been enough to set alarm bells ringing, but I'm powerless to resist handheld golf.  Turns out it's truly and astonishingly abysmal.  Surfaces that don't seem to make any sense, random physics, nonsensical hazards, a terrible camera system and holes so badly designed (presumably as a concession to the randomness off the controls) that one of them is a PAR 14.  They added a limited amount of aftertouch to the ball, and a jump button, which is just enough to double its score. [2]   Oh well, at least House of Golf was good.

It actually stands for

8. 198X - Switch

Had a beady, bulging eye on this for over a year now. It's a grab bag of original retro styled arcade experiences - the sort too pretty to port to most consoles in the early 90s - held together by an appealing yet wafer thin story told mostly in stunning pixel art cutscenes. The genres you're treated to on your whistlestop journey to the credits are scrolling beat em up, scrolling shmup, super scaler style racer, Ninja themed auto runner and maze RPG. They all look stunning, and sound great thanks to a legit Yuzo Koshiro score, but they're all merely adequate at heart. This is part one of a planned series, but it's so short the feeling of being short changed weighs the whole thing down.
    Joustus is served.
  • Placeholder.
    Joustus is served.
  • Vere, can you add ‘19-12’ to me in your OP?

I’m hoping for much more this year. Hoping.
    "But enough talk. HAVE AT YOU!"
  • Eyrolling placeholder as two posts weren't enough last year.
    Joustus is served.
  • Elf noooo.
    Joustus is served.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    No chance of getting to 52 but I'll give it a damn good go....

List post here
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Vere, can you add ‘19-12’ to me in your OP?

I’m hoping for much more this year. Hoping.

Of course!! Will keep updating it just wanted to get it started!
  • Holdplacer, because will absolutely be needed
  • Completed

1. Control [8]
    30 Dec-11 Jan

This is an excellent and original AAA action adventure game with some minor issues that just bring the overall experience down a touch. I loved the location and the way the scenario allows for all kinds of reality bending events. The combat is also great fun for the most part, especially once you've unlocked a number of skills, with a great fluidity between the different moves. It encourages you to get in amongst the action, rather than hiding behind cover, and reeling in a hefty piece of scenery then chucking it back at an enemy never gets old.

But still there are too many regular battles with enemy designs that could've been more interesting. The middle of the game certainly started to feel a little padded out. It's also annoying how quickly battles can go wrong when you've been doing well, as you're suddenly caught unawares by a projectile or fall off the edge of something while charging about the place. The health recovery system is a nice idea but sometimes just isn't convenient, and the checkpointing system is a bit weird, adding to the frustration. Other than that, special mention to the map for being next to useless half the time. And although performance on my base PS4 mostly wasn't too bad, the loading times became an issue.

And yet, there's so much clever stuff to find and do, so many neat little touches or amusing characters, none of that can really spoil it. In the end, the main story is almost merely a way of introducing all the areas and powers and getting you used to how the place works. What I enjoyed most was doing all the side missions, many of which are better left till after the credits have rolled. It's here that things get more imaginative, and there are some proper bosses to take down, which were genuniely interesting and solid challenges. It's a brave game that hides so many of its best ideas, but it works in terms of gradually unravelling all the mysteries of the place. I was happy to just keep investigating and uncovering new stuff, to the point I ended up exhausting it all and getting the platinum trophy (rare for me these days).

After all that, I think I'd really appreciate a sequel. Perhaps one that involved travelling around different places investigating reports of strange activity. There's certainly plenty of potential in the fiction to explore, and with a few tweaks to the systems the results could be very special.

To Play

River City Girls
    Death Stranding
  • My previous years are 17-54, 18-30, 19-41.
  • I'm in too. Last year I managed a 19-26, which is probably about my limit.

I realised I had two extra in the bag that weren't in my list as i played through the first two Room games while over in Tenerife with a sick wife.
  • Placeholder as I have such a huge backlog and keep playing games as a service like battlefield v.
  • My previous totals were...

2017: 75
    2018: 78
    2019: 86
    Joustus is served.
  • Aye, I'm in.

A measly 17 last year for the OP, Vere.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X
  • Andy
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @DrewMerson
    Xbox
    Drew Merson
    PSN
    adkm1979
    Steam
    DrewMerson

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Elf noooo.

You could just leave your placeholder posts as a list, and link to the write-ups later in the thread.
  • I probably should, but I'm unintentionally awkward when it comes to breaking habits.  Plus I don't know how to link to certain posts, just pages.

Edit: And I quite like posting half a review on the train in the OP, safe in the knowledge no-one reads it there anyway and I can come back to it later.
    Joustus is served.
  • Andy
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @DrewMerson
    Xbox
    Drew Merson
    PSN
    adkm1979
    Steam
    DrewMerson

Send message
    See the time/date on each post? It’s a link to that post. Or, if you look click on your name in the banner, and go to the ‘comments’ tab, the word ‘permalink’ on each one is the same thing.
  • So it does, cheers.  Didn't realise the time/date was clickable.
    Joustus is served.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Woo

Games:
    1) 7 Billion Humans - scored [8]

Coming soon: Stuff from the Fiscal Prudence thread (here), DQXI, FC5, Sundered, Minit, Mosaic Maze, Light Fall, Induction, Four Sided Fantasy, Tetrobot, DLC Quest, Gorogoa, Shuggy, Sokobond, Jazzpunk, Hellblade, Ashen, Below, Gunpoint, The Shivah, Rive, Quantum Break, Slay the Spire, Into the Breach, Spiderman, Hitman, AC Origins, Dying Light, FFXV, Diablo III, The Surge, Rayman Legends, COD IW, Nier, Nier Automata, Little Nightmares, Rime, DkS 3 DLC, GoW4, Sunset Overdrive, Bayonetta 1 & 2, Resi 4, Pandora's Tower, Downwell, Monkey Island 1 & 2 Remastered, Grim Fandango Remastered, Day of the Tentacle Remastered,Trine 1-3, Catherine, Rogue Legacy, Saints Row: Gat out of Hell, Sleeping Dogs, Binding of Isaac, Gravity Rush, Stealth Inc 2, Transistor, Broforce, Magicka 1&2, Kentucky Route Zero, 1001 Spikes, Remember Me, Catherine, MGS V/GZ, Danganronpa, DmC, Dust, From Dust, Gears of War (1-4), God of War, Hitman (early ones), Splinter Cell, I Am Alive, Outlast,  SotC HD, Styx, Thief, The Crew, Ys, Yakuza, XCOM, Suikoden, TWD (s2), The Evil Within, The Banner Saga, Sniper Elite, Richard & Alice, Hydrophobia, Gunpoint, Else Heart.Break(), Door Kickers, Malicious, Castevania: Lord of Shadows, No Time to Explain, Apotheon, Capsized

Books:
    1) Miss Pym Disposes

Shows/Movies:
    1) Iron Man 2
    2) The Incredible Hulk
    3) Parks & Recreation (s1)

My 2017 link: here (59 completed, [394], average [6.68]; 25 books; 33 shows/movies)
    My 2018 link: here (52 completed, [342], average [6.58]; 18 books; 26 shows/movies)
    My 2019 link: here (15 games, [TBD], average [TBD], only 7 books :-|, 49 shows/movies)
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    My previous totals were... 
    2017: 75 
    2018: 78 
    2019: 86
    You got issues.  Mate.
  • You have 2 posts in a row there anyway now
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    OK, post is now underway.  Vere - only 15 for me in 2019, if you want that in your OP.  I'm gonna try to be more organised this year.  Might even try to list my PoS in some kind of "to be tackled in" order, to avoid choice paralysis the whole time.  I also need to actually mark stuff and get it into the Just Completed thread... had a good habit of that a year ago, but it went as I lost my 52gpy mojo.

I also need to read more and watch less.  Something I'll endeavour to do in 23 movies' time.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    12 completed last year, let's see what I can do this year.
‹ Previous123

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!