2020 52 Games in 1 Year Challenge!!
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    10. New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe
    the game itself is one of the best 2D Marios
    [9]

Damn straight.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I've completed a [10] this evening and I'm now reluctant to review :laughter tears emoji:
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Out of your ten games, you've given six [9]s, one [10] and one [8]. Your scale is clearly bogus, particularly vs moot's 57 data points.

I'm sitting on a 7.6 average out of my 30 so far.

I've given five 5/10s and two 10/10s. Interestingly, both 10s are from Capcom.

I'm looking forward to pointless end of year stats.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 60. Super Meat Boy - Switch (2hrs)

It probably is still a [10] tbh.  Slight qualms with some of the late game hazards aside it's the perfect platformer.  I only played to credits this time, which is 6 chapters of light world stages, but even scratching the surface again was wonderful.  The whole package is just astonishingly good, from the basic controls to the bandage placement.  Replaying it also reminded me that I never dabbled with any unlockable characters further than checking out their moves.  Will fix that.  The new score just isn't as good unfortunately, but plenty of the tunes are decent enough.

The big addition for the Switch release is the split screen race mode, which I presume has been patched into some other versions but I'm not sure.  Select which chapter you want (or the whole game if you wish) and whether you want light/dark levels or a mixture, and off you pop in a race to the finish, basically playing two separate games concurrently with a progress and goal bar at the top of the screen.  Warp tiles push you ahead by a level and bandages can be used to skip stages.  Plus all characters are selectable from the off. I've only played against Tilly and she can only get to 1-19 because she needs to git gudder, but against a similarly skilled player this could be about as tense and brilliant as same screen multiplayer gets.  It's an excellent under the radar addition.  It's a shame it's local mp only, because I could lose weeks to this mode online.

No idea what's taking the sequel forever to come out, and also still sulking that it's an auto runner.  I like the genre, but how many SMB fans actually wanted that ahead of a straight platformer?  I expect it'll be good if it ever sees the light of day, but it's got no chance of being as good as more of the same.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Gotta play shit to calibrate man. Basics.

Can I use this to explain my sexlife please
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • 61. Behold the Kickmen - Switch (3hrs)

I haven't even started the review properly yet and I know I'll struggle to explain what the hell I found so addicting about this deliberately wonky story-driven throwback kick 'em up.  The central conceit of 'a football game by people who don't know the rules' is stretched quite thin, but there's something about battling against the infuriating gameplay within a top down footie game that should be as simplistic as the Megadrive World Cup Italia '90 (while the crowd shout advice like 'do a goal!') that I was powerless to dislike.  It's an anti Moot game in a way, because it really does play like shit while providing next to no challenge whatsoever as you waltz towards the credits, bit it's just such a beaming doofus of an eperience I ended up playing a couple of matches a day until I'd finished it.  I lost one game (hanging my head here), but I won the final 14-0.  The problem with the AI is they always try to walk it in; they're just as likely to belt it into their own net for a three point goal from the halfway line as they are to actually have a shot, but somehow that still works.  I loved being a big soccer steamroller and gradually unlocking abilities like 'passing' and 'tackling' while spending my bankings on being better at teamplay and goldkeeping.  I honestly don't know if it think it's a [3] or a [7], so I'll award it both scores to be on the safe side.  Recommended at £2.99, if only to sample the best worst game this gen.  Thanks @poprock. I think.

FabulousShinyHarvestmen-size_restricted.gif
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Persona 5 - 110hrs(ish)

It’s a great game with a unique style all it’s own and a dopamine inducing combat feedback loop. The combat isn’t particularly complicated, test the bad guys, find a weakness, exploit and get that sweet kill. The hold up, weakness and critical animations are all what provide that gaming hit perfectly.

Outside of combat you have a LOT of pressing X to advance a pretty linear story, but choice about how and who you accomplish that with opens up as you progress with some nice side stories for each of the characters. It’s clear that you can’t progress all of the side stories which I assume is meant to encourage replay. But as much as I’ve enjoyed it I won’t be spending 100+ hrs replaying any game.

All of this is wrapped up in a game with the toppest of graphic design, animation and soundtrack.

A solid [9]
  • 11. The Last of Us Part II (PS4) - 26/6 - 36hrs
    A rollercoaster ride of a game, which perhaps goes on for too long (or at least some of the middle feels padded). With ups and downs, twists and turns. Just like the first game then, but on balance, I do prefer the original.

Whilst the gameplay is vastly improved, with combat, weapons, stealth, puzzles, traversal, area design and the encounter layouts all being better this time round, my personal preference is the first mainly for its central plot and the characterisation.

That’s not to say they’re bad in the sequel. Don’t want to say much for fear of spoiling the game for those who haven’t played/finished it, but I had mixed feelings about some of the narrative direction. And then there are the ways in which certain themes and/subject matters are handled. That being said, the delivery is powerful. Never before has a game made me feel the way I did with this - but again, that could be partially attributed to the narrative strength of the first game and the bond with Joel and Ellie that that created for me.

I suppose a word or two should be said about how good the game looks both technically and aesthetically. It really is beautiful and I often found myself stopping to just look around (and taking screenshots).

There are some issues, equally there is some really strong and unparalleled storytelling and delivery from the peerless acting for a video game. But I’ll leave that for the inevitable spoiler thread. For now, this is a [10] with a point docked for some bloat and thematic issues (for me). There’s also a point about player agency that I won’t go into here.
    [9]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    8. Emily is Away - [8] - 30mins

Second run through of this, replaying in anticipation of playing the sequel, turns out it's not a direct sequel (boo!). Anyway, this works so well with a mechanical keyboard. It really adds to the atmosphere. And a great way to get the number of completed games up. More 30 minute games please!
  • 62. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - played on Xbox One (3.5hrs) 

Games lauded as classics from bygone eras aren't often as impressive on a first time play as they were then, especially from the 32-bit era imo, but this has so much going for it I enjoyed my playthrough immensely despite being 20+ years late to the party.  The core hack & slash CV gameplay is absolutely on point, so there's a rock solid foundation to the gradual exploration, and everything unfolds at a fair clip without any real scope for getting agonisingly stuck (hello Super Metroid).  It gives plenty of modern Metroidvania types a run for their money.  In fact, if you take Hollow Knight and Ori in the Blind Forest out of the equation - just because they're my favourites - SotN would probably squeeze into an all-time 2D Metroidvania top 5 even as a modern title, despite the few issues I had with it.  Those issues are as follows: far too easy (to the point of imbalance really), transformations under-used and a bit of an afterthought in terms of control, a fiddly inventory (by modern standards) and a very basic map that doesn't list area names.  Genuinely though, if this was a £12.99 EShop game that arrived as an indie Rebirth thing it'd still get deserved props.  Graphics are pretty much the best 2D I've seen on Playstation and I even liked the use of 3D geometry in amongst the sprites, which is often a turn off for me.  Some lovely parallax scrolling going on, mostly stunning areas and just an absolute visual treat overall.  Very impressed, main character animation is superb.  Music seemed varied and mostly strong too.  It's a very good game played cold in 2020 and I've no doubt it was absolutely terrific in 1997, so my retro review would be 93%, but I reckon I'd give it a modern [8] depending on price.

tumblr_phnivmJtLc1rs2gquo1_400.gifv
  • 28. The Last of Us 2 - 25 Hours - ?/10 - PS4 Pro

So it’s over. Really don’t know what to think. I understand why they ended it like that, but I just didn’t enjoy said ending whatsoever. I have very mixed feelings about the entire game and at this moment in time I really don’t know what to think about it.

I don’t like a lot of the decisions they made about the story or characters and I really don’t think they needed to literally smash their points home over and over again.

Just a bit empty about it all.
  • LETS GO TO THE SPOILER THRED!!!
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    5 - Life is Strange: Before the Storm + bonus episode
    PC

Better than Life is Strange 1. Loved it. It looks really janky, but once you've done a certain part in the first episode*, none of that matters. Writing and camera work is really well done, and unlike LiS1, you can't undo your choices here. By the end of the bonus episode you're crying.

Spoiler:
  • That main theme. Best music.
  • 63. Observation - XBoxOne (7hrs maybe?)

Continuing my mission to at least try everything published by Devlover, not many left now.  

You play as the ship's AI on a space station.  Via communication with surviving crew you must attempt to unravel the current situation (whatever that may be #spoilers).  You'll do this by manipulating cameras and logging onto various software via laptops and suchlike, so you don't have a physical avatar to possess unless you're roaming in one of the droid spheres.  It's a narrative driven puzzle game, and there's plenty of scenery scanning involved in the puzzle solving.  It's not quite needle in haystack stuff, but it sure feels like it at times - a few of the systems in place definitely feel a bit obtuse, and some of the one-off tasks feel a bit under-explained, meaning that I considered myself lucky for solving one or two as it definitely doesn't hold your hand through its various systems.  This is what the devs do, there's plenty of 'you're on your own' style puzzles in Stories Untold too.  I don't appreciate it myself, and would say a hint option to fall back on would've been welcome.  If you're asked to do something, then ask whoever gave the instruction to repeat it, they literally just repeat it.  It takes the shine off somewhat as 'I told you to assess the damage' ad infinitum should really be evolving into 'assess the damage to the mainframe' or something marginally more helpful if you're clearly stumped imo; it can seem a bit harsh, robotic and downright cryptic at times, conjuring up flashbacks of point 'n click adventures of old.     

It's an odd game, and tbh I think I would have bounced off it if I hadn't played Stories Untold as an undercard of sorts.  Much like Stories Untold, the story this tells is excellent.  I've suffered Tacoma, and more recently Deliver Us the Moon (which was kinda a'ight in terms of story), but this is a cut above.  Genuinely creepy and deftly drip fed, it's top tier videogame sci fi and in terms of interactive narratives I'd say it's up there.  Once again I found myself wondering if I would've enjoyed watching a stream more than playing it myself though.  I don't tend to watch other people play games, I find it a puzzling pastime (each to their own ofc), but games 'worth experiencing' that don't play particularly well are bit of a thing at the moment.  

There's a lot to like here, but I can't decide whether or not I was having much fun even when I didn't find the tasks laborious.  I'm in proper waffle mode now so I'll stop.  It's good, I can see what it offers being so far up some people's street it could proudly top a GotY list or two, but I've got to settle on a harsh [6].  A worthwhile chore.  On another day I might've reached for a [7], but I played too much of it in a short space of time.  

Special mention for the facial animation on your main companion - clearly unintentional, but she looks more baked than Stoner Stanley.  Her super-blazed face was the only levity in an otherwise resolutely po-faced adventure.  

VigorousCloseFanworms-size_restricted.gif

Edit: Actually, I've decided that a non-interactive on-rails VR narrative would have suited me more than playing it.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    When she took her helmet off at the start I thought there was a CO² leak or something and she was about to pass out. But no, it was just her face going a bit wonky.
  • Droopiest eyelids award for sure.
  • 32: MLB The Show 2020 (Career Mode) (PS4) - 8/10

Wasn't sure how to rate this game.  On one hand the career mode is EXACTLY the same as last years, which was ALMOST exactly the same as the year before.  In that regard I'm not really happy to have spent the money and wish I just reinstalled the 2019 version.

On the other hand I didn't come across any bugs and it was already as close to perfect as you could hope for from this type of game.  Also, the reviews were pretty clear about how similar this version is.  I don't really have any excuses.  At least, I guess, there's no feature creep to dilute what makes the game so good.

Anyway, I usually play as a batter, but this time played as a pitcher.  In this regard it's a new experience and really fun.  It kinda has a golf style 3 click interface.  It's more laid back than the batting, and I enjoyed that.

What's not so good, it turns out baseball pitchers only play every once in a while.  I was left feeling quite empty when my team finally made the World Series after 8 seasons of being terrible, I pitched really well in all my playoff games, but didn't get to play in the deciding game!  Just got a text pop up saying Congratulations, you won.  Well that's fantastic for the people of Detroit but I did fuck all in that game!

I decided to delete after that, and hopefully next year will just reinstall rather than buying 2021
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • 64. Hotline Miami - Switch (3-4hrs)

Handily, I wrote about this recently for Jon's GOTD selections:

Moot_Geeza: “Ferocious top-down murder 'em up that strikes a masterful balance between power and vulnerability.  Formulate your own plan of action to clear each floor, always acutely aware that the tables might turn in a heartbeat, at which point the hunter becomes the prey.  Skin of the teeth gaming at its absolute best; the perpetual peril is astonishing and the stages are mostly designed in a way that allows player strategies to be adjusted as required.  It's a wonderfully satisfying experience with a mesmerising one-hit-kill foundation.  Having possibly the best soundtrack of the decade certainly doesn't hurt either.  [10]

Having played through it again for the first time, I'm going to reluctantly rescind the perfect score.  It's a brilliant game, probably still in my top 15 or so ever, but the brief hospital stage and some irritating boss bits bring it down to a (still high flying) [9].  And the Switch port is such a bug ridden mess this particular version shoots its foot off and earns an [8] overall.  I encountered at least 5 major bugs that required full stage restarts (enemies disappearing before my eyes and reappearing way off the map was a favourite), which just isn't good enough for numerous reasons.  Throw in a smattering of lesser hiccups like bullets not displaying and you've got a poor port that slipped under the radar, presumably because it either wasn't tested extensively for reviews or the expected patch never materialised.  In some ways it's a perfect game, but wondering whether a stage will glitch as you clear it puts a sizeable dent in the enjoyment.

U4cjq.gif
  • 65. Not a Hero - Switch (3hrs)

I've been dipping in and out of previous favourites over the past couple of months and this was perfect for short burst handheld gaming (I played it on PS+ originally).  Hotline Miami is well known round these parts and this is a criminally overlooked companion piece of sorts from the makers of the excellent OlliOlli games.  It's a fast paced 2D cover based shooter where you skid between shadows mowing down masses of gang members intent on running their mouths off as you fill them with holes.  The voice acting and dialogue snippets are pretty much second to none in this field.  It's an acquired taste, but enemies shouting "wasteman!" at me never got old, nor did the brazen stereotyping for each non-hero.  Feel free to scoff, but this game is hilarious.  In fact, I urge you to play it in an attempt to scoff, because even if I'm wrong about the hilarity I'm absolutely convinced I'm right about the gameplay.  Picture a high octane Bonanza Bros/Elevator Action/BroForce hybrid and you're most of the way there (no, not High Octane the Cyber Speedway aka Gran Chaser clone.  And anyway, that was 'Hi-Octane', lesser nerd).

You get one life per stage, so you'll die a lot (especially if you're attempting to tick off the extra mission parameters).  It takes the old hat well designed approach to level design rather than the rouguelike route, so you will be learning and plotting as you go.  It's not as memorisation heavy as many games of this type though, which is where the Hotline Miami comparison comes in.  If plans go awry you can absolutely cut through the pickle to emerge unscathed and tumescent with that 'what a rush!' feeling.  It's scintillating stuff and in terms of hidden gems I'd say it's up there with the best from any era.  I just wish I wasn't so stuck in my ways with my approach to games as I used Cleetus the Scotgun guy for the entire game, again.  I love the way it plays at close range but I know I'm missing out.  Maybe I'll play it again one day, would almost certainly make a top ten of the gen list. Truly excellent. [9]

Two gifs for this one, as I'm really trying to sell it.  Was £2.60ish on Switch at one point FYI, I'm sure it's seen similar prices elsewhere.  

tumblr_inline_p89fl9BKzK1szzvzq_500.gifv

cfa0c0_9f1f43e0fdab4104a56b5aa94a6fcfb7.gif
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The Last of Us Part II - 26hrs 51mins

My initial enthusiasm gave way to me not actually wanting to play this much. However, much like the first one, I came back to it a couple times and then it got its hooks into me. Having just completed it, I have to say it’s my type of experience. Not too long and doesn’t, IMO, require another play through. Much like the first I’m happy to have it as an experience and memory.

Story, characters, dialogue, graphics, animation, soundtrack and score are all top notch. Despite a few quibbles gameplay wise, I really appreciated the approach they took with the story and think that this has to be the PS4’s swan song. Hopefully, the lure of cash won’t convince ND to make another, not that it’s bad, just that they should end on a high and probably start a new IP.

[10]
  • More positive feedback. Will make it a priority when I get my PS5.
  • 33: The Expendabros (PC) 6/10

This is a perfectly fine freebie, a Steam game I forgot I downloaded several years ago.  Whenever The Expendables 3 came out by the looks of it; it's a tie in advert.  That makes it sound bad, but it's just 1 hour of Broforce action, with a selection of Bros based on the characters from Expendables 3.  You get all the excitement of Broforce - the explosions, the destruction, the random humorous player characters, the general unpredictability.  Sometimes you blow yourself up, sometimes you win by accident, sometimes you stumble on a cheap way to win and feel clever.

Nothing wrong with that, especially when you're not paying anything!  Obviously not as good as the proper game, with less bros and levels.  But pretty good for what it is.

34: Psikyo Shooting Stars Alpha (Switch) 7/10

This is a small, overpriced collection of shoot em up roms.  It seems like my local retailer couldn't shift the fancy box box editions and was selling them cheap (they're now close to reasonable value!).  I'm not much of a shoot em up man and I'd never played any of the 6 included games before.  I'm now something of a fan of the Strikers 1945 series.  I turn the difficulty right down to 'Monkey' (harsh, but fair) and still struggle, but they are beautiful to look at, with the neat pixels and fantastical enemy designs.  I don't know much about history but don't remember reading much about aircraft carriers that transformed into giant robots when you shot them enough times.  Also I thought Rommel was an evil nazi general, not a giant scorpion shaped mech.  I like the Psikyo interpretation of WWII better than the real thing.  

The other games I didn't care about so much, but can easily see myself revisiting S1945 from time to time.
  • It seems like my local retailer couldn't shift the fancy box box editions and was selling them cheap (they're now close to reasonable value!).

I don't suppose they've got a cheeky Ninja Saviors knocking about?  Getting antsy waiting for an EShop discount and the cart is £20 on Amazon atm.
  • Don't remember seeing it but will have a look at lunchtime tomorrow mate
  • 29.DMC - 10 Hours - 6/10 - Xbox One X

Not a bad DMC game, but got rather boring very quickly. All the environments are so dull and boring and there’s none of the fun cheesiness in there. Takes itself too seriously. Just doesn’t add anything or perfect the formula, can’t really say much about it...so just feels kind of ok, perfect 6.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Nice one thanks.

They didn't have any copies sorry mate.
  • Was a long shot thanks for looking. Has to find its way into an EShop sale at some point surely, it's resisting almost as much as Devil Engine.
  • Has to be a matter of time for everything not published by Nintendo!  Be strong.  

I'm in the same boat with River City Girls.  In a post SOR4 world that's a 75% off game surely.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!