2020 52 Games in 1 Year Challenge!!
  • Persona 3 FES (PS3) - 9/10

A beautiful and gruelling JRPG!  It’s problems are very easy to pinpoint (It’s extremely fiddly to set your party up, given you have to speak to each character individually rather than just going through a team menu.  You have very limited control over your party, which would be less of a problem if they weren’t all idiots!  The dungeons are procedural and kinda dull.  Etc.) but also very easy to overlook.  There’s a lot of likeable characters to spend time with, both in and out of your party.  You’re encouraged to get to know everyone as it will make the player character stronger to do so, but they’re generally worth it for the stories.

Perhaps a touch too long in places (It took me just under 90 hours to beat) but I was sad to see it end all the same.  Very glad to have played it and look forward to revisiting Persona 4 (once my Vita screen is repaired), trying the new Persona 5 and having a look at the spin offs sometime this year.

Kami (3DS) - 6/10

This is a simple colour based puzzle game.  I’m finding it a bit hard to describe though! 

It’s pretty laid back and not TOO challenging.  The hardest puzzles I found could be beaten with a bit of trial and error.  It’s quite nice to look at with its paper craft aesthetic and there’s no time limit.  I found it to be a pretty good game to play while watching some less visual youtube channels.  It was fine – decent to play but don’t feel the need for more.

Donkey Kong Country (3DS) - 7/10

This mostly holds up!  I never had it back in the day.  It’s funny how you look at graphics over time.  I remember the screen shots looking unreal at the time, then for quite a while I thought they looked very dated.  Now I think they look pretty stylish again.

It plays a lot better than I expected.  Very tight, everything behaves roughly as your would expect from a great platformer from any period intime.  Not too hard except for the odd level that would send me mad.  Very glad for the 3DS’s saves states.  One of those games that I’ll probably not play again but am glad to have finally gotten around to, and will check out 2 and 3 at some point.

Everybody’s Golf (PS4) - 6/10

This is a bit of a come down after the masterful Vita game. The golf is still fantastic but there’s a fair bit dragging it down.  You make a custom character from the ground up rather than picking a pre made; I’d generally like this but I’ve never been about to make one that has much flair.  They end up looking pretty bland.  Even the bosses you play against seem to be made from the same creation suite and they all look a bit rubbish. 

Beyond that the lush courses are hampered by being overpopulated with either bots or other online players (I’m not sure which), who are constantly teeing off/playing shots/generally running about while you’re taking your shot!  It’s ridiculous and ruins the mood.  I couldn’t find a way to turn them off.  I really couldn’t get passed this.

I think there’s a real missed opportunity here where there could have been a nice long career but it gets a bit repetitive with how it’s laid out.  The main draw seems to be receiving random clothing items; there’s not too many stand out items though (that I’ve found).  Got to the end, though it seems like there’s still lots to unlock.  I haven’t been tempted back, though.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • I didn't play DKC until 2012ish (GBA port).  Was a firm Segaboi so I tried to dismiss it as style over substance while attempting not to swoon over the screenshots in mags in the late early 90s.  Once I'd had the fanboy punted out of me by the death of the Dreamcast I snapped out of my funk and started inhaling all the stuff I'd missed.  DKC was one of my faves.  I managed to buy a dodgy battery-less GBA cart from Ebay so I've never played the sequel, but I hear that's where it's at.  Tropical Freeze is the best one I've played though, cracking game solo or co-op.
  • 6. 140 - Switch (75 mins)

Half of a BOGOF deal with twin stick shooter THOTH.  More on that later.  £4.49 for both.  Spoiler: bite their hand off.

This one's a rhythm based platformer, very simplistic in terms of avatar movement (left/right/jump being the sum total of your options), but impressively inventive in terms of level design.  Guide your shape through checkpoints to the level goal, which acts as a warp if you touch it after collecting a nearby orb.  Surprisingly, the level guardians were the highlight for me, and the reason this settles on an [8] rather than a strong [7].  They're all good, even the one that messed-with-my-head-maaan, but the rhythm Pang types were sublime.  £2.25 for maybe an hour and a quarter of expertly crafted, stylish indie platforming.  Even the MMG naysayers would struggle to sniff at that, Shirley?

Oh look, the only (distinctly un-stylish) GIF I could find can be quite easily sniffed at.  Here it is anyway:

W9NDjw3.gif
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm putting Golf Peaks down as my second completion, cba with the bonus levels particularly as I'm about to lose my phone. A solid [6].
  • I enjoyed Golf Peaks, think I went for a [7].  I don't mind a spot of chain-planning, if that's how you'd describe it.  Also enjoyed Hitman Go and what I played of the Tomb Raider one.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I didn't play DKC until 2012ish (GBA port).  Was a firm Segaboi so I tried to dismiss it as style over substance while attempting not to swoon over the screenshots in mags in the late early 90s.  Once I'd had the fanboy punted out of me by the death of the Dreamcast I snapped out of my funk and started inhaling all the stuff I'd missed.  DKC was one of my faves.  I managed to buy a dodgy battery-less GBA cart from Ebay so I've never played the sequel, but I hear that's where it's at.  Tropical Freeze is the best one I've played though, cracking game solo or co-op. Also pretty much agree with the PS4 version of Everybody's Golf being a bit off.  I bought it at launch and really tried to get into it, probably played it for 7-8hrs too, but the front end and grindiness just put me off.  File alongside Trackmania Turbo and Trials Rising as fantastic games hamstrung by poor design choices.

Haha, we had a SNES but never picked up the Donkey Kongs, so over time I assumed they were style over substance too, and once it wasn't state of the art, why bother?  Maybe not at the absolute top level with Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Sonic 2 etc - but still a class game that's aged very well.  Very strong fundamentals.  

Nicewill try Tropical Freeze - that's one of the many Switch games where I'm waiting to pounce on a (significant) sale of a physical copy.  I'm fine with paying RRP for new releases, can't get over the mental hurdle for older games though lol.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Maybe not at the absolute top level with Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Sonic 2 etc

Thumbsupping this sentence and adding Dynamite Headdy before the 'etc'.

Good luck with the bargain bin DKCTP.  Ain't gonna happen until they do a selects range.  You can borrow the cart if you'd like.
  • 4. Starfox (Snes)
    This just about hangs together enough to be playable with occasional moments where it's fun. Retro rails shooters aren't really something I've had much luck going back to. I gave Space Harrier and After Burner a quick razz last year and ditched them pretty quickly. Firstly, you're obscuring your own view. Secondly, you've got to head into the direction of enemies to kill them. Which then ties into the first problem of not being able to properly see them right at the point when you're going for them. Starfox introduces a further problem of abysmal draw distance. You're lucky if you can shoot enemies from a distance, and a lot of the time, you can't properly see what you're going for until they're right in front of you. Or laser balls and other enemy projectiles pop up just before they hit you meaning you've got no chance of getting away. Some enemies you'll miss when you fly past, you might not see them until it's too late to kill them and they'll still shoot at you from behind, giving no chance of dodging. Some bosses let out little fighters that come and get you, but then they fly off screen and crash into you from the side. 

Despite this it's still ok. Generally those problems just create aggravation and a bit of a chipping away at your shield rather than death. And contrast this with some of the scrolling shmups from this time and you can see why this was such a revelation. There's a section in (I think) Level 1-3 where you go into a ship for the first time to blow it's core. One of it's more blatant bits of Star Wars cribbing but there's nothing else I've played from that era that gives you such a sense of, I dunno, erm, presence. Like you're actually in this place. 
    I got through Levels 1 and 2 easily enough but packed it in after a couple of sections on 3 as I could tell this was heading into a draw distance clusterfuck, save state spamming hell. So I left it thinking this was ok rather than cursing the thing for it's limitations. [7]

5. Starfox 2 (Snes)
    I probably wouldn't have bothered if I didn't know beforehand how short this was supposed to be. It's hard to hate this, despite it being utterly terrible. It's too ambitious and the hardware just isn't up to it but even accounting for that it's poor. I quite like the UN Squadron style map, turning it into a base defence mini game. The transforming Arwings are a better idea on paper than they are in the execution (where it becomes abysmal) but it's not a bad idea to mix it up slightly. I don't know what they've said about it being finished or their completed vision but it isn't. It's not even half-baked. Barely a quarter. The end boss is almost just a sequence rather than a fight. Anything involving the walking Arwings is so easy that it couldn't have been intended to be like that. The dogfights are so fiddly and awkward that they can't have wanted them to play out like that. The difficulty jumps up and down seemingly at random. The final level is walking and shooting and that's about it. And there's so little content here as well. 

I first heard that Nintendo canned this game as it compared poorly to the 3D capabilities of newer consoles and I thought that was a terrible reason to cancel a game. Commerce over art and all that. But yeah this is appalling and they made the right call. Considering this would probably have shared trade show floor space alongside Wipeout, they had no business trying to release this mess. The best place for this was the vaults under lock and key, their secret shame. Then bring it out decades later as a historical curiosity. It's like one of those crazy backporting projects coders do for fun. Like what if Doom was made for the original Gameboy? In that context, as a relic or a crazy experiment, it's interesting and an [8] or [9]. As an actual videogame that needs scoring it's [Yikes]

6. Trip World (Gameboy)
    Another curio. There's not much game here to talk about with 5 very short levels completed in less than 45 minutes.  You're a morphing thing that looks like Pikachu. You can morph into a thing that flies like Kirby. Or a fish that is mostly useless. The enemies usually don't attack you unless you attack them. And you can fly over most of them anyway. There's quite a few bosses here and they're crazily uneven. There's about 4 in a row at the end game (not a boss rush though, they're all different). All bosses in the game are either piss easy or extremely difficult. With the hard ones you can jump on their head then they become piss easy again. Because at this point they don't move or attack and you can just stay there, jump down, attack, then jump back up. As maybe an easy first world in a larger game, it works. You can see the potential. But instead it ends and that's it. The music is banging. [6]
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Nice Persona 3 write up @wariospeedwagon, I have that ready to go as well this year. Just need to finish Dragon Quest IX first, and play some shorter stuff after that. Glad to hear it still holds up.
  • 1 - Devil May Cry V - PS4 - 8/10
    Honestly not sure if I Completed it at the tail end of 2019 or the Start of 2020. Either way I Completed it on Normal difficulty and have been playing off and on, on Hard.

The game is great simply for existing, I've completed every DMC game and would rank this in the top 3, but for a new comer, this Is the game I'd recommend.
    Every game has problems, DMC 1-3 show their age a lot, 4 had the best combat but the game was clearly rushed and the second half of the game is the first half, but backwards.
    DMC 5 weakness is it's mid-late level design and forced use of characters. You cannot select which character to play as in most levels.
    I also miss the leaderboard ranking that DMC 4 had on Xbox 360.

2 - Tetris Effect - PS4 - 10/10

Not New for me, it's my GOTY 2018, however I did comeback to it and completed the full journey mode again as well as some marathon plays.

The best version of Tetris ever.

And I still haven't played it in VR.

3 - Street Fighter V Champion Edition - PS4 - 7/10
    There's been lots of improvement to this game over the years, but I still have a fundamental problem with the core design.
    Crusher counters in neutral, highly plus frames and no push back on block, difficulty to tech throws even when you read them, overly high stun and stun combos, too much focus on artificial comebacks, and the swingyness of the game.
    Not to mention the poor online which for me, ruins the game.
    With the new version of the game they have done a good job making most characters more fun to use, more moves, vskills options, I have a new main, Gill but the core problems with the game were never addressed.
    I still recommend it at the current price for offline fun.

4 - Soul Calibur VI (Season 2) - PS4 - 8/10

Wonderful version of Soul Calibur, and I highly recommend anyone watch it in tournament.
    Obviously like any decent human being I hate Aswel, but I can also drop a bit of scorn on Zaslemel and Grøh.
    A bit too anime, just Ghost Pirates and big titted Daughters please.

Playing a lot of this with family over Christmas and new year this is probably the most accessible fighting game.

Children in particular like nothing more than designing a monster girl with an elongated apple for a cock or an tiny dwarf with an upside-down flesh coloured loveheart for an arse, and then tearing strips off each other

5 - Resident Evil 2 - PS4 - In progress

Wind Waker is a bad game
  • 1. The Outer Worlds

Diet-Obsidian - it’s good and I still had fun with it. Poor load times and anaemic locations, alongside uninspired missions almost made me feel disappointment. However, the companions, dialogue and themes were more than strong enough to leave me with a feeling of satisfaction in the end.

My love affair with this studio continues. [7]
  • kneecap wrote:
    2 - Tetris Effect - PS4 - 10/10 Not New for me, it's my GOTY 2018, however I did comeback to it and completed the full journey mode again as well as some marathon plays. The best version of Tetris ever. And I still haven't played it in VR.

I'm an unexpected fan of VR (and not a fan of Tetris, it should be said), but I didn't really get the appeal of the Tetris Effect demo with the headset on.  Perhaps I was immune to the total immersion as I'm so cack handed at falling block games, but it just sort of felt like playing Tetris strapped to your face, whereas something like Astrobot felt like a revelation.
  • 10/10 sounds right. It’s amazing. Looking around as the level unfolds, the great effects in your face, and those credits!!!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Most versions of Tetris ate a 10. I can't imagine VR making it much better but I equally can't imagine it breaking it.

It's Tetris. Only the ones that fuck with the basic formula too much break it.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • VR doesn't break it, far from it, just doesn't really add much for me.  Whatever else is going on you're still concentrating on arranging those blocks.  Playing a Gameboy in the Planetarium would be kinda cool, but it wouldn't improve the way Tetris plays.  

IMO.
  • Isn't that what I just said?

I can't imagine VR making it much better but I equally can't imagine it breaking it.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    kneecap wrote:
    2 - Tetris Effect - PS4 - 10/10 Not New for me, it's my GOTY 2018, however I did comeback to it and completed the full journey mode again as well as some marathon plays. The best version of Tetris ever. And I still haven't played it in VR.
    I'm an unexpected fan of VR (and not a fan of Tetris, it should be said), but I didn't really get the appeal of the Tetris Effect demo with the headset on.  Perhaps I was immune to the total immersion as I'm so cack handed at falling block games, but it just sort of felt like playing Tetris strapped to your face, whereas something like Astrobot felt like a revelation.

Is it possible it wasn't working properly in VR?

I know that when I first did it, and this seemed to be a thing a few other had, it didn't kick into VR mode properly, so it was basically like being sat in front of a 200" screen rather than it being VR. Impressive enough, but not quite the same.
  • Isn't that what I just said? I can't imagine VR making it much better but I equally can't imagine it breaking it.

Yes, I was agreeing.  General consensus seems to be that it's magnificent in VR and my point is that when I played it my reaction was more of a 'that was fine' shrug than a double thumbs up.
  • Is it possible it wasn't working properly in VR? I know that when I first did it, and this seemed to be a thing a few other had, it didn't kick into VR mode properly, so it was basically like being sat in front of a 200" screen rather than it being VR. Impressive enough, but not quite the same.

This is entirely possible.

Edit: Actually no, thinking about it I'm pretty sure I could look around and see the whales and whatnot.  But those blocks were falling straight ahead.
  • I've not played it in VR, but even without the point is surely that you do focus on the blocks and the other stuff kind of feeds into your peripheral consciousness (I may have made that up) and adds these different sensations to your actions.

It's hard to describe TBH, but sort of that.
  • That sounds like what the appeal is supposed to be.  It's possible I'm immune to synthesia.
  • Synaesthia is the bestest!

Appreciate it’s not for everyone or some people aren’t affected by it. Like you Moot!
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Isn't that what I just said? I can't imagine VR making it much better but I equally can't imagine it breaking it.

Yes, I was agreeing.  General consensus seems to be that it's magnificent in VR and my point is that when I played it my reaction was more of a 'that was fine' shrug than a double thumbs up.

Cool
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 7. THOTH - Switch (90 mins)

Outstanding twin stick puzzle shooter.  You'll pick up the basics within a minute or so of playing, but in a nutshell: shoot enemies until their colour is suppressed and they turn black; once this happens they'll hone in on you more quickly.  Your avatar is nippier when not firing.  You can aim with the right stick or soft lock-on with the face buttons.  One hit kills, you have two lives to get through four stages but after losing your first life the walls become deadly too (cheers for that).  Every fourth stage locks as a restart point.  Each stage presents a puzzle of sorts but it rarely feels like there's necessarily an optimal way to solve it - at heart it's a twitch shooter, but it's the puzzle element elevates it to greatness.  Honestly, absolutely everything about this is nigh on perfect, it's an incredibly well designed game.  It even has a co-op mode. [9]

Deserves a trailer rather than a gif.

• Take Her Out To Hampshire?
  • Oh! It’s actually called THOTH! Right.
  • Thingamajig Hates Oblongs, Triangles & Hexagons!

8. 198X - Switch (70 mins)

Had a beady eye on this for over a year now. It's a grab bag of original retro styled arcade experiences - the sort too pretty to port to most consoles in the early 90s - held together by an appealingly presented yet wafer thin story told mostly via stunning pixel art cutscenes, but occasionally through v/o while you play (which works magnificently). The genres you're treated to on your whistlestop journey to the credits are scrolling beat 'em up, scrolling shmup, super scaler style racer, ninja themed auto runner and maze RPG. They all look great and sound good thanks to a legit Yuzo Koshiro score, but they're all merely adequate at heart.  In order of good to bad, despite the fact that they've each got one foot in both camps, it's: shooter, racer, RPG, ninja runner, beat 'em up.  

This is part one of a planned series, but it's over so quickly the feeling of being short changed weighs the whole thing down.  Fleshing out each playable section might have helped, but biting the bullet, holding fire and releasing the whole thing as a full package would've been preferable.  Genre hopping between snazzy looking, enjoyable-yet-average experiences throughout a 3hr game would have all the whizzbang with none of the gee wizz what a swizz, so perhaps this one should only be fully judged when complete.  As I'm reviewing what's in front of me - basically a 1hr game - it's disappointing.  I liked it a hell of a lot while it lasted, probably more than it deserved in fairness, but even so I can't really go higher than [6]. 

OfficialUnfortunateBandicoot-size_restricted.gif
  • 9. Squidlit - Switch (45 mins, including starting again twice)

A Blue Swirl rec.  I...kinda enjoyed it.  But I never had a Gameboy, so the handheld monochrome display effect didn't stir my loins.  Fun fact: I had to reboot twice as I thought the screen had filled with ink (or something) and crashed.  I could move around but couldn't see what my character was doing, so I thought it had glitched.  Turns out the right analogue stick controls the contrast, for some unknown reason, and because both combinations of my JoyCons are borked and like to drift whenever they fancy it, the screen kept fading to black (or dark green).  Fun fact over!  It's a functional platformer but I doubt anyone would've been happy with the length in 1991.  You could probably get through it twice on one set of batteries.  [4].  Sorry Swirl, £1.79 seems a touch steep.  I didn't hate it and the book boss was neat, but 'tis a bit shit really. 

giphy.gif
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    They'd have been more unhappy with the length if they couldn't get through it on a set of batteries, it was a posh cartridge that included a battery for save states
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • 3. Resident Evil The Darkside Chronicles (PS3) - 9hrs

No where near as good as I remember. Bosses are little more than an interactive cut scene with a 3 second window to shoot the weakspot every so often.

Annoying jerky camera that only seems to have been added to hide the poor design and make an easy game harder. Bad dialog that drags on in between shootouts while your walking at a snail's pace, usually in a boring corridor.

Also it's a bit of a buggy mess on PS3. Twice I had to restart a chapter because despite picking up the specific weapon required to kill the boss it didn't appear in my inventory.

5/10

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!