Gaming Trends
  • A discussion about trends, fashions, fads, flavours of the month, things in game design, marketing, monitisation that come and go or maybe set the new standard. They might be welcome additions to the medium, or just get on your nerves, or have potentially harmful or unforseen effects.

We can examine where gaming is at now, how it got here, and how things might look in the future.
  • Something to start off with, which has been bothering me recently:

Copious amounts of DLC/additional paid for content that adds to or expands the main game mode or campaign, that may or may not affect the gameplay or progression significantly, and that becomes available piecemeal over time after the initial release of a game.

There are a few problems with this, mainly I just find it really annoying. I'll go to play something I bought a while ago, Stellaris for example, and see that there's a whole bunch of extra DLC that I don't have, things that seem to expand and enrich a typical playthrough. I'll spend some time looking through them all, trying to figure out what seems really essential or possibly transformative to the gameplay, and what seems to be just cosmetic additions. Then if they are all on sale I'll try to weigh up what I can afford, what really matters and whether the GotY super deluxe bundle is better value.

And this is before I even know that the game is something I'll feel like playing for very long. Of course I can just play the base game for a bit to see how things go, it will likely still be the same fun experience that existed at launch, but knowing all that extra stuff exists that should be there kind of weighs on my mind and irritates a little. Something like a big strategy or city building game is a big time investment too, even just to find out if you will continue to play for a good while, and in many cases you might need to restart a playthrough to get the benefit of new content. It's always a nicer feel to be able to play the full up to date experience as intended, so this stuff is a real pain in the ass and a drain on the wallet.

Many games are doing this kind of thing now, very often the strategy/management type games on PC, but also in some cross platform titles I guess. It makes a lot of sense from perspective of milking the customer as much as possible, I'm sure the psychological aspect of missing out on the full experience is deliberate in many cases too. It can be a double edged sword though, when I see a swathe of extra stuff available for a game it tends to put me off buying it, unless there's a reasonably priced bundle version that makes it simple. Season passes are similar in that when I see them for games it really puts me off, a seperate but related discussion, also total bullshit though.

There are some games that deal with this somewhat gracefully, by including a lot of the new stuff somehow in updates for the base game. An example might be Total War: Warhammer 2, which has a lot of DLCs for addtional playable races and heroes and such. They are added to the campaign map as AI players, so that even if you haven't paid for them you still get to enjoy fighting against them. In order to actually play as them you need to pay for it, which usually seems somewhat reasonable considering the art, animation and design work that went into developing it.

Ideally anything really base-game changing should be included in a free update, separate campaigns or missions, things like that can be ok to split off into seperate purchases. As it is I just get massively put off by how many games are doing it right now. Just give me the full complete experience and don't dick me about with reams of expensive extras.

cIbU81c.gif
  • Trying to think of some positive trends is a little tricky, I suppose it's easier to focus on bad things and take the good for granted at times.

The general push towards greater accessibility, inclusiveness, and diversity in games.

Whether that is better and more varied control options, more ways and formats to play games and interact with others, and more diverse settings, characters and stories that relate to more people and expand minds. All of that is pretty gosh darn good I say.

source.gif
  • Good thread and posts. I would say regarding big DLC influencing the shape and tone of a game, that it is indeed a worry I have sometimes, though often for *negatively* impacting a game, especially the game's story. Bioshock Infinite was my favourite game for a fairly long time and even though I enjoyed the Burial At Sea stuff on its own terms, I *really* didn't like how it impacted Infinite's ending, completely changing a somber but uplifting ending into something really depressing and sad. That uplifting nature of the game was what gave me hope when I had very little, and I still don't like the way that Burial At Sea changes the whole tone of the thing.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    One of the things I see is "buy our season pass now, don't worry what's in it."
    Nintendo are particularly egregious in this regard, and whilst I don't mind paying for a Smash pass because they've had two sets of top tier stuff since WiiU, things like the Breath of the Wild / Fire Emblem / Pokémon passes of recent years have basically relied on trust in the series.
  • Yeah I really hate that. I'm not sure I've ever bought a season pass actually, preordering is generally dumb enough without doing it with bloody DLC.
  • So I purposefully take a complete opposite tack with DLC. My gaming time is limited compared to some on here so standard base game is usually enough for me anyway but as a further shield to this I just don’t even look at dlc. Srsly, I completely ignore that it may be something for me to add. If you look into it too much you can start developing the FOMO that Gurt mentions in his first post. It’s completely irrational really but it’s a very good mechanisation that all big publishers have taken on board. They know what they’re doing.

Great topic btw. Looking forward to reading more.
  • As a close future trend I have my worries about where the gaming sub model will take us. I doubt it’s gonna be to the land of nectar that Netflix provided to tv drama development and may end up being another nail to bang home the homogenisation of mainstream game development. I know most on here don’t follow me with that though and just see it as insane value free games. It’s the gateway though.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So I purposefully take a complete opposite tack with DLC. My gaming time is limited compared to some on here so standard base game is usually enough for me anyway but as a further shield to this I just don’t even look at dlc. Srsly, I completely ignore that it may be something for me to add. If you look into it too much you can start developing the FOMO that Gurt mentions in his first post. It’s completely irrational really but it’s a very good mechanisation that all big publishers have taken on board. They know what they’re doing.

Great topic btw. Looking forward to reading more.

I get fighters and passes as good fighting games can have real legs. smash has been a really impressive one. likewise some good driving games - Forza has been a real bastion.
    I've not really done many DLC packs, I did enjoy Burial at Sea a hell of a lot, and Octo Expansion for Splatoon 2 is basically Mario Galaxy 3, but those were very telegraphed as to what was in them. I did get the BOTW pass and finished the challenge room DLC, but never actually got round to finishing the champions, weirdly. Just the time was done there.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I guess conversely, there have been a few outlets who have fully elevated DLC to next level status over the past couple of years, perhaps buoyed or challenged by concepts like Seasons in free to play games like Apex, Fortnite and so forth. Rabbids and Torna DLC were great.
  • Yeah media-as-a-service in general is something I worry about a lot, as usual convenience wins out but at what cost. I saw this a while back regarding Stadia and streaming games -
    But to me, the model shows signs it could leave a very exposed middle ground of medium-sized games makers, whose costs are too high to be offset by the amount of players the title will attract. With many of the most creative ideas coming via these nimble-yet-powerful studios, I worry what an even tougher business model might do.

Now, the wild success and profitability of free-to-play Fortnite, which offers cosmetic upgrades for a fee, shows games makers can make astronomical amounts of money without an upfront cost or overly-intrusive in-game monetisation. But how many Fortnite-esque successes can the market sustain? Two? Three?

If it does indeed go for a subscription model, Google has some important decisions to make about how will dish money out to publishers.
    On YouTube, one of the stats that determines how much ad revenue creators get is "minutes watched”. In gaming, "minutes played” could lead to some developers introducing gameplay mechanics that are counter-intuitive to a good time, but vital if they are to gain income.

Or, developers might have to make up the loss of funds by encouraging players to pay for additional items to progress more quickly, in a far more aggressive manner than console gamers are used to today.

The ad-laden, endorphin-pumping, lootbox-peddling mobile gaming industry might be considered the canary in a very miserable coal-mine, here. Paying for a games console, and its games, may not be such a bad thing after all.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47634263

That and the game subscription service model have me a bit worried about how it will affect developers. Really I think we need to be moving towards developers getting a much bigger slice of the pie in terms of the revenue, which is why I think itch.io is such a good thing. It must be so difficult for the smaller or niche devs to make ends meet, and I don't think streaming or sub business models are going to help them much.
  • 2D roguelikes and lites have been flavour of quite a few months now. As a rule of thumb I'm not someone who enjoys spending upwards of twenty hours on one game, so I find it quite irritating to see devs churning out all these roguelikes all the time. Esoecially as they often look right up my alley in terms of arcade/platform/run & gun mechanics, but require what strikes me as ridiculous levels of dedication to tame.
  • Not a new trend but an increasing one is the quality of output from really small teams. Goose game, into the breach, hollow knight etc are my standouts but obviously there are loads more.

Wish Machinarium devs had more out soon.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • It's easier than it's ever been for people to start making games and get involved in the process, same with other media. Things like the really big ambitious productions still take a huge number of people and resources however, that's unlikely to change. New software and techniques have made incredible results possible for small teams or even solo developers though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!