Game of the decade 1990-1999
  • 1] Tomb Raider - the start of a series I’m still playing
    2] Quake II - my first proper FPS. I liked blowing things to chunky kibbles
    3] G Police - atmospheric as all hell
    4] Resident Evil - those dogs!
    5] Driver - I felt like I was in Bullit
    6] Cannon Fodder - this is the closest I’ve been to liking RTSes. I know it’s not an RTS.
    7] Speedball 2 - possibly the best sports game ever
    8] Mario 64 - the 3D platformer everyone tried to match for years
    9] Metal Gear Solid - the only one I liked, to be honest
    10] Zool - I thought the Chupa Chups licensing was cool when I was 10
  • I’d have expected a little more Deus Ex love

Edit- Okay apparently that came out in 2000
  • Have been watching a Blast Corps gdq since the chatter here, fucking great game. The gdq I'm watching has couch commentary by one of the devs, is v.interesting if you're a blast Corps fan. Time to get moving! (Reg)
  • 2000 to 09 will be a bloodbath for me too. Damn. Many an edge darling.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Facewon wrote:
    2000 to 09 will be a bloodbath for me too. Damn. Many an edge darling.

Easy
    1. Half Life 2
    2. Gears of War
    3. Deus Ex Invisible War
    4. Resident Evil 4 GC
    5. Halo 2
    6. Knights of the Old Republic
    7. Halo OG
    8. KOTOR II
    9. Lumines
    10. Resistance: Fall of Man

Portal maybe should make that top 10... Resi 5, Killer 7, Halo ODST maybe.

If someone says crackdown I'm gonna lose my shit

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Oh god, I forgot KOTOR and Deus Ex!
  • So not easy. There's at least 3 late ps1 games that will kill me. Halos, pgr/msr. A bunch of ps2 goodness.

A bloodbath, I tell you.
  • Wait, kotor is not pre 2000. I refuse.
  • 2003. Wtf Goober. ;)
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Phew - I'm blaming Gonzo.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Wait, kotor is not pre 2000. I refuse.

I was doing 2000-2009 as you clearly asked, u shit stirring ozzie cunt

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    90-99 was hard , 00-09 will be a great deal tougher.  A lot of Dreamcast darlings for me in that lineup that may have to be sacrificed.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Final answer.
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Just a list for now, which I'll probably tinker with before the deadline.  Consulting my picks from this thread to jog the memory banks:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Nintendo 64)

I wanted it so much I bought the game on release day, which lay dormant as an awesome yet infuriating paperweight until I nicked my sister's bf's N64 for the Christmas holidays and hid at my nan's with it.  My first Nintendo game and an another example of an N64 game nailing the transition from 2D to 3D at the first pass.  I only played through it once, but I've got nothing but perfect memories that sit [channels Glen Campbell] forever gentle on my mind. 

2. Street Fighter II (specifically Turbo era)

This was A Big Thing.  Everyone was obsessed with it, which of course it deserved.  I put the majority of my hours in on the stuff-strutting 24-carat 24-MEG Megadrive version, but Street Fighter still smells of chips to me.  At one point we had SF2: Champion Edition in the chippy and Mortal Kombat in the cab office.  Perfect.       

3. Shining Force II (Megadrive)

Managed to get hold of this when I was in a bit of a lather over RPGs.  Was my first grid tactics affair.  As a youngfam what I used to like was towns, and talking to videogame villagefolk about stuff/running errands in hamlets etc.  Lost your hat?  Never fear, I am here.  'What are the towns like?' would've been my first question to anyone who'd played an RPG I was interested in.  Thankfully the towns in this were solid, and the rest of it was utterly magnificent.  The ability to properly level up each character with a class transformation blew my mind, and its team assemble game has only ever been rivalled by Mass Effect 2 imo.  

4. Micro Machines 2 (Megadrive) GET OFF MY SPONGE

5. Super Mario 64 (Nintendo 64)

Probably the poster child for 'how did they manage that then?'.  Mystifyingly good jump to three dimensional platforming that's been the template for all the best efforts since.  Honestly though, how the fuck was it this good?  Ridiculous achievement.     

6. Quake III (Dreamcast)  Dial-up multiplayer bliss. 

People complained about the lag but it was a whole new world for me, I frittered away many post-6pm hours becoming reasonably proficient at it.  I never bothered learning an M&K set-up, so even if I brought my A game a merking was just around the corner, but I absolutely loved it nonetheless.  Small maps, limited players, great weapons and quality respawning pick-ups.  Much as I enjoyed the early days of Halo 2, it was diminishing returns for me & online mp from this point onwards.  Fun fact: Also responsible for adding LOL, LMAO and ROFL to my acronym vocabulary.  I blame the lag though.     

7. Bangai-O (Dreamcast)

My favourite Treasure game.  Their top 10 is astonishingly good, so for this to top the list is quite an achievement.  The risk/reward of the counter attack is sublime and of course, the game built around this conceit is sublime.       

8. The Secret of Monkey Island (Amiga)

My mate had an Amiga, and as was par for the course, a seemingly infinite stack of games.  This one wouldn't save for some reason so we had to leave it on overnight after reaching the island, then finish it in the morning.  Insult sword fighting, absolute genius.  Would probably be my choice for gaming's all-time no.1 theme tune too.  

9. Worms Armageddon (PS1)

Gaming: The after pub years.  Red Stripe, cheap hash or omg we've got weed, near constant soundtracks provided mostly by my best mate's older brother and undercooked frozen pizza.  See also: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater.  Could well be the point in time I'd choose to revisit if I had a special one shot time travel button.     

10. Streets of Rage II (Megadrive)

Forgot about this until I saw it in Eric's votes.  With apologies to Virtua Fighter 2, which it bumps off my original list, I think this was marginally more of an event for me.  The original was a very good scrolling beat 'em up - scoring extra points if you added the word 'console' before 'scrolling' - and got plenty of things right first time.  But ho boy the sequel was insane.  Kicking the door open, arm in arm with Landstalker, bowling in with their 16 meg swagger and basically giving the Megadrive an extra two gears.  Everything aside from the lack of team-up moves in two player is nigh-on perfect.  The greatest scrolling beat 'em up of all time.     
  • That’s a bangin’ list.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Is Bangai-O pre 2000?  And Quake III for that matter?

EDIT : Quake III is '99 but Bangai-O is '99 only in JP.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Oh - Mr Driller on DC is 1999 - that slips into my No. 10 ousting Wetrix.

EDIT : No - wrong - it was a 2000 release.

Back to Wetrix then.
  • Cheers Davy, looks like Bangi-O gets the boot for now.
  • Sept 99 according to my google
  • Sept '99 for pal pal? Thought I Googled it last week. Sources seem to differ on stuff like that though, will have a proper look later.
  • Fun fact: Another Treasure game I only paid £9.99 for. Funner fact: I kept that one though, and it's still worth nowt.
  • Are we going by region specifics? I'd just consider the launch of the game in its first territory tbh.
  • Pretty sure reg said UK in OP.
  • Yeah but I reckon that's a guide only ;)
  • We're going by PAL release, so Tetris qualifies.
  • Tetris is 1984 or something isn’t it?!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Fun fact: Another Treasure game I only paid £9.99 for. Funner fact: I kept that one though, and it's still worth nowt.

I hoovered up Dreamcast games in 2001 for buttons off the shelves in GAME and EB. :)

Hard to spot the ones that end up being expensive. There's a SF3 game - Double Impact - which is worth a packet now - more so than 3rd strike which is the one I got at the time. Could have got both at the time :(

Re Tetris - if I was to consider that game as a 90s game then Tetris Battle Gaiden on SNES would win it for me.  But I don't - it's an 80s game.

Tetris was part of the BOWEP. Sigh. Chips Challenge. :)
  • On Game Boy?

Ports are allowed. Ignore me. (Was released on Spectrum in UK in 1987 according to Wiki.)
  • Hold the phones, does this mean that if a game wasn't released in the UK it's not eligible? Nuts, although Google tells me the first home console release for iidx was 2000 anyway so that's that.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!