NMD's Return Of The Quiz Part IV
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Sorry to bring it back to mortalmans chat, but what's Ikaruga like for an as-many-C's-C-as-you-like? I had it on Gamecube but I only played it a couple of times, had no patience for games at that a point. Been tempted with the Switch version a couple of times as I've got a Flipgrip.
    You need to play for a while to unlock unlimited continues IIRC. After that you can just brute force through it. Keep dying, keep going.

But I wouldn't have thought there's much point. I was crap and couldn't do more than the first couple of levels on a credit even after plenty of practice. But you have to at least have a go at what's it's trying to get you to do to get much out of it.
  • Level 3 boss is the best I ever could muster on 1 credit. No idea how people 1cc that game!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Seems I'm wrong thinking survival might be easier then.  Not surprised. I remember the game making my head hurt dealing with the polarity.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I recall trying to brute force and still finding it mega difficult. Given the way the game changes at stage 3 and there definitely being safe spaces you need to find to get through attack patterns then you might as well attempt to chain from the start as it always felt like there were perfect ways through the levels
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • When I had it on GC I didn't really know much about the chaining, certainly didn't try to chain much (this was pre youtube); I cleared it I think but using continues and such, it's certainly do-able, maybe even fairly easy outside of the level 3 boss and the level 4 wheel-o-death.

But, the game actually gets easier, in a way, the more you chain; chaining give you points, and points give you lives, so the better you get, the more slack you get in terms of lives. You also get different patterns of enemies depending on how fast you clear some bits. It's fantastic in that sense, the more you play and better you get, the more the game gives you to play with.

When I was going hard on it, I was living with a mate who also got really into it, and we were both spurring each other on (something I really miss about not living with someone). He wasn't 7337 at all, decidedly average in fact (apologies Stu if you're reading this), but Ikaruga is a puzzle game as much as a shooter (it's certainly not a bullet hell game), and he knew how to handle each 'puzzle' segment; he could get to level 4 on 1 credit, which is no mean feat.

Another great thing about Ikaruga is that you can 'nope out' of the puzzle part at any point, blast until you're safe and comfy, then start chaining again. Case in point, my 1cc run that I mentioned above - I didn't really try to chain level 4 at all, just wanted to survive it, but then you can start chaining again. It's genuinely one of the best games ever and I need to go amend my GOT90s list.

In short, you can totally play it just blasting, and see the end credits, but trying to chain even parts of levels will reap rewards, be immensely satisfying, and help you progress further (not just score higher).
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Would agree with all of that, not sure it makes the nineties which is the only reason I left it off my list. Unless arcade release was on the cusp maybe
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Ah fuck you're right, it doesn't make the 90s; I've had a few games I've added then had to remove for that reason :picardfacepalm:
  • On second thoughts it all sounds a bit much still. Would've liked to give it more attention as it's one of the few Treasure games that slipped through the cracks for me, but I'll cross my fingers for a Gradius V rerelease instead. I never even opened my copy of that on PS2.
  • I found Gradius V much harder m8.

If you ever come round my yard we can boot up Ikaruga for an hour or so for the shits etc. Genuinely, knowing how you're meant to 'solve' each bit makes it much more fun, and you'd be surprised what you can achieve.
  • Sealed copy of Gradius V would be worth a few Bob, I reckon.
  • Ikaruga is objectively the best shmup. Maybe. But Mushi Futari is my personal fave.
  • I'd send Mushi Futari and Ikaruga into space if we wanted to send examples to aliens of the genre.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Sealed copy of Gradius V would be worth a few Bob, I reckon.

Sold it ages ago, probably for £10ish, can't remember. If so I made a penny on it.

Sounds like a plan Nick, you'll have to show me Beatmania at some point too, never seen it.

• acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:

How much is @Bob worth tho?
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:

Sold it ages ago, probably for £10ish, can't remember. If so I made a penny on it.

Sounds like a plan Nick, you'll have to show me Beatmania at some point too, never seen it.

Beatmania's my dirty secret mate, no one is interested and it's an unwelcoming (yet seductive) mistress.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    How much is @Bob worth tho?

Priceless actually.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Jesus - just gave Ikaruga a try there. I had forgot about the suicide bullets which makes switching polarity pretty hazardous. Playing it on hard would be nightmarish as it ups the difficulty of the suicide bullets.

Trial mode is a good way of easing in though.

I don't think Gradius V is that expensive still - but yeah - there's a game that is soul destroyingly difficult as well.

My favourite is still Futari - but I think original DoDonPachi is the best thing ever built - esp. considering when it was made. Just such a clever game that can be played on multi-levels - survival - then chaining - then max bomb bonus - then bee hunting. Layer upon layer - then the 2nd loop for savants.
  • Yeah on hard all enemies spew suicide bullets whereas on normal only enemies in the same colour/polarity do. It's actually a scoring mechanic as well, as in the more bullets you soak up, the higher the score, hence leaving bosses on 1 hit left and absorbing bullets until 1 sec left then killing.
  • Milking
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Boss milking is something I've never been comfortable with in any game. I don't actually like boss fights all that much. Prefer just having tough levels.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    What is considered the best version of Ikaruga then? The DC original is the most accurate I'm guessing.
  • Was it the DC one that let you switch to vertical display and turn your telly on it’s side?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I think that was GC, which is one reason I preferred that version, but more likely my preference would have been because stick was better on the GC and I think it had a progressive scan mode for less jaggies
  • Just watched Dubs' Ikaruga run, m8 that dropped chain on lvl3 before the overlapping squadrons stings.

Phenomenal run tho, hard to see where you could pick up points outside of the two dropped chains.
  • For comparison here's my lvl3 from my run, complete with chickening out of the bonus balls and last second death on the boss :/

https://youtu.be/jzyLePm2ocM

Is there a more satisfying thing in games than one-shotting those clusters of enemies in the opening section tho? I don't think so. My god Ikaruga level 3 is a work of art, absolutely incredible.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    I think that was GC, which is one reason I preferred that version, but more likely my preference would have been because stick was better on the GC and I think it had a progressive scan mode for less jaggies

GC has several display options including TATE and one for playing it horizontally which would be very weird. NTSC version supports 480p which works on a Wii with component as well as GC with component.

I'd be surprised if the DC version doesn't offer TATE too.

Just watched that level 3 run. Mental game. obvs I never got that far.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I had both but played GC more, which was strange as at the time I had PS3 as main console with GC and DC both plugged into telly, but DC got a lot more play than GC
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Just watched Dubs' Ikaruga run, m8 that dropped chain on lvl3 before the overlapping squadrons stings. Phenomenal run tho, hard to see where you could pick up points outside of the two dropped chains.

Those drops do hurt but I was really pleased to hit that route on the planes in a full run.  More points are there in the ch.2 opening, ch.2 spawners (at the 5 minute mark in my run), ch.4 insane precision laser route, hitting multiple cycles of bonus balls and milking Tageri.  Basically: do world record strats.  I've tried to learn a few in the past and not got too far.
  • hylian_elf wrote:

Have one.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Yes, have one.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!