Gods & Monsters: The Prometheus Thread (Mahooosive Spoilers!)
‹ Previous123456726
  • So a thread about Prometheus then. 
    Spoilers ahoy! 
    This way people can venture into The Film Thread without fear if they've yet to see this, and hey, we're all going to see it, aren't we?

b536-0019b9d5c8df.jpg

So...
    Never has one film managed to both delight and intensely annoy me in equal measure so much. 34 years it's taken old Ridley to get back to the future. Was it worth the wait? 
    Not really.

Having now seen this film I'm actually of the opinion that the extended trailer is absolutely the best thing about it. The trailer is a masterpiece, and frankly it gives away soooooo much that there is actually little point in going to see the film proper.

It does all look absolutely amazing. Scott clearly hasn't lost his mojo when it comes to the visuals, but the film is badly let down by an appalling screenplay that goes nowhere, defies logic on several occasions and then jumps the shark completely towards the end.
    It's a fucking shame really. So near and yet so far.

The performances are as good as you could hope for in a blockbuster, but the actors are ill served by a plot of expositional one liners designed as trailer soundbites. Again it's a fucking shame, because there's a talented cast being wasted in there.

A good story should take you on a journey. From A to B to C to conclusion. Where Prometheus goes badly wrong is in the script revisions that leave you with the feeling that they started at the end and then said, right, how the fuck do we get there? That's the point that any semblance of plot logic goes out the window, and the film is so much the worse for it.

It starts really well actually, and I forgave it most of it's sins until the the caesarean section scene. This was just laughable (and oddly reminiscent of those idiotic fairground "win a teddy" machines). We're supposed to believe that Shaw (who lets not forget is an archeologist) is able to programme an incredibly rare medical machine to perform an emergency c-section on herself, stay awake during the entire process, be literally stapled closed by the machine, and then be absolutely fine to run about action heroine stylee immediately afterwards??? Fuck off. 

But how did we even get there?
    David poisons Holloway with the Alien biological terror weapon. Why? There's no logic to it other than to advance the story in a very obvious direction. He then just lets Holloway wander around until it's no longer convenient and then the script executes him. Fortunately he's already slept with Shaw, so ZOMG, she's instantly three months pregnant with the alien.
    So what does David do? He sedates her and says someone will come for you shortly and put you back into stasis for the voyage home. Does he do it? No? Two other random cast members are sent in. How do they know about her condition? God knows, but that doesn't matter because in her drugged state she's still able to overpower both of them and then they are never seen again. 
    Does anyone raise an alarm? No. So she's able to then perform the c-section on herself and then stagger about the ship until she comes across...ZOMG it's Weyland! 

He was on the ship all along! And the reason he's here is to go down to the planet, talk to the aliens, and ask them nicely to prolong his life??? So why in the wide world of sports has David been sneaking around for the entire film infecting people with an alien biological terror weapon (we know that's what it is because Janek tells us this in one of his wonderfully expositional lines of dialogue). Anyway, at this point everyone on the entire ship suddenly forgets that Shaw is/was infected with an alien parasite, and instead they ask her to suit up and go for a meet and greet with the aliens. JUST FUCK OFF.

Lots of shit kicks off, and the entire remaining crew decide to make the ultimate sacrifice by piloting the Prometheus into the Alien ship because seconds before Shaw has told them that the alien ship is going to earth and that's a bad thing. FUCK OFF. It's because the script requires everyone extraneous to the inevitable sequel and who might upset the eventual timeline/logic to the original Alien film must die and the Prometheus must not return to Earth, because that would just be awkward from a canon plot point of view.

Are we seriously meant to believe that because one woman (who let's not forget, has no way of actually knowing this) has just told them that the alien ship is going to earth, and that's a bad thing, and they must stop it at all costs, the entire crew instantly decides to sacrifice their own lives and pilot the Prometheus straight into the alien ship? OK, SHOOR.

Fortunately Shaw (who is let us not forget, an archeologist) is able to repair the decapitated David and pilot an alien spacecraft into the blue yonder. FUCK OFF. All that shot lacked was the music from Star Trek and Kirk's ...space, the final frontier... voice over. Rancid ending, and less said about the final alien birth scene pay-off the better. Shame on you Ridley.

So David had this wonderfully unexplained ambiguous understanding of the entire alien culture, language and technology. A contrivance that served only to gloss over the unexplainable, and move the plot forward. Utter nonsense. The holograms that he activates on the alien spaceship that show all the aliens running about. Why were they there? How did he know how to operate the technology. Crude but very pretty exposition that doubtless looks lovely in 3D. That's why. Only purpose served was to show the simple minded audience what the aliens had been up to previously.

Why were the aliens going to earth? How did Shaw even know they were going to earth? Why was there one alien still alive, and the second he was woken from thousands of years of slumber, he instantly wants to go and infect the earth, right this fucking second in fact.

If David had such a huge understanding of all this, and knew full well that Weyland was on the ship with the sole intention of meeting the aliens, then why the fuck was he sneaking around infecting the crew of Welland's ship with an alien biological weapon and why the fuck were there absolutely no security/military personnel on board to combat such a potential threat?

How did Milburn and Fifield get lost in the alien ship? The entire alien ship had been mapped by the probes they carried and rendered in a 3D model aboard the Prometheus that actually showed the location of every party member within the alien pyramid. Nah, they just got lost and trapped there because the script needed them to. Sixth-form fan fiction could come up with better.

I could go on and on and on, because frankly the more you think about it, nothing in the plot makes any sense whatsoever, so for now I'll leave it at that.

So, for all the negativity here, yes, for the most part I did actually enjoy it. 
    It's beautiful to watch, and there's a fair bit to like, but really, hanging is too good for Damon Lindelof. He's a talentless hack.

[3.5] if I'm in a generous mood

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I love this thread. I'm gonna give you a big stonking raise.
  • I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it any more!

maybe

g.man
  • Shall I post my similar rants from earlier here G? Have you read 'em?
  • Go on Templeton, I haven't read them.

regards

g.man
  • WHERE DID THE FUCKING WORMS COME FROM???
  • Well I'll save myself 15 bucks by not going. Shame really. Had high hopes for this one.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • WHY DID DAVID TAKE SHAW'S CRUCIFIX AND THEN KEEP IT CONVENIENTLY IN A CONTAINER ON THE BELT OF THE SPACE SUIT HE PUT ON LATER???
  • Well I'll save myself 15 bucks by not going. Shame really. Had high hopes for this one.

I'd say it's definitely worth seeing. It's incredibly beautiful to look at, it's just let down by a poor screenplay that doesn't have the faintest idea how to resolve everything it sets up.

it's not a disaster

g.man
  • WHY THE HELL DID THEY HAVE THE VERY OLD INDEED WEYLAND PLAYED BY A YOUNG ACTOR IN TRULY APPALLING MAKE-UP???
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Only one thing I need to say.
    is able to programme an incredibly rare medical machine to perform an emergency c-section on herself

To be fair it is established she knows of the machinery and its manufacturer earlier on in the film. And from what I remember of the C-section scene she actually tricks the machine into doing one by selecting foreign object removal from an easy drop-down menu. Which come to think of it was more related to her imminent exploding cavity problem anyway.

Why the fuck was it even a squid? It was obvious that it was ready to "hatch" and it looked nothing fucking like its host.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Only one thing I need to say.
    is able to programme an incredibly rare medical machine to perform an emergency c-section on herself
    To be fair it is established she knows of the machinery and its manufacturer earlier on in the film. And from what I remember of the C-section scene she actually tricks the machine into doing one by selecting foreign object removal from an easy drop-down menu. Which come to think of it was more related to her imminent exploding cavity problem anyway. Why the fuck was it even a squid? It was obvious that it was ready to "hatch" and it looked nothing fucking like its host.

Again, terrible "how do we get there" exposition. They throw in that scene where she coos over the incredibly rare medical machine and says ZOMG, you've got one of these incredibly rare medical machines, in a feeble attempt to justify her use of it later in the film. 

But ffs, she's an archeologist. Why would she know how to operate the machine, let alone, trick it's programming into performing an operation it's not actually programmed to perform.

absolute garbage

g.man
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I agree it was lazy. And that's being kind.
  • Lots annoyed me. So many logic bending WTF moments that really ruined my immersion in the film.

The guys stuck on the ship during the storm... I couldn't understand how the crew on Prometheus dealt with that situation. They just left them there and didn't monitor them or anything. That bit when Idris Elba is like "guys... we've detected a lifeform... eh... nah, actually it's probably just a glitch... you guys get some kip I'm away to pump Charlize..." What?! 

Around the same point in the film Shaw and the Scottish bird discover that our DNA matches the engineers. Holy moly... most important discovery in the history of mankind! But does she rush to share that with her boyfriend/partner/scientific pal? No she kicks back in her room burning incense while he's getting pished at the pool table. He then comes in later with a rose and she's like "oh by the way our fucking DNA totally matches it's the most important discovery in the history of mankind..."

And the whole abortion thing. G covered lots of things wrong with that scene. Logic aside I actually thought it was a rather horrifying and brilliant set piece but it was after the act that had me scratching my head...

So after that fucking insanely awful experience she doesn't bother to mention it to anyone else on the ship! Okay, maybe she's freaked out by David and meeting old Weyland but surly to fuck she would be screaming "guys david fucking tricked my boyfriend into impregnating me with a fucking alien and i just had to do a mental abortion thing holy shit guys!!!!!" But no... nothing... 

WTF Ridley WTF?!
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    I agree it was lazy. And that's being kind.
    That was what fucked me off about the whole screenplay, it was just lazy, braindead amateurish writing.
    Seriously, if you're going to make a big popcorn blockbuster or a monster movie, then fine, I'll cut you some slack, because it is what it is. 
    But, if you're going to try to make a film that asks big questions about the origin of life in the universe and the nature of God, then you'd better raise your fucking game.

harrumph

g.man
  • Tempy wrote:
    Prometheus Like an empty faberge egg. 

The spectacle is immense and beyond anything else you're likely to see this year. Makes The Avengers look like what it is, a kiddy comic book film. Visual design is gorgeous throughout. Rapace and Fassbender steal the show at every turn delivering brilliant characters. Rapace especially bucks many a female protagonist trend and ends up getting one of the show stealing scenes in the film, Cronenburg level body horror that will make you squirm.

It is an epic, reaching out to touch God for the spark of life and... falling short by an arms length. The first and second act are brilliant introductions, even if Noomi's partner is an unlikable prick who you want to shut up in every scene. As soon as they start to try and construct the mythology they fail. Remeber the egg chamber in Alien? Ash's fascination with the Facehugger? The ambiguous horror of the Xenomorph? Yeah, well it seems that modern audiences can't deal with that and they need intent, cod philosophy and navel gazing questions about our existence and nature to make a worthy film. The plot is an unfocused splatter of philosophy and creativity that has no idea where it is going or what it wants to be other than yearning to be profound. 

The cold, precise and calculating nature of Alien is lost and the crew are morons. The script rarely sparkles and is infact full of awkward bits. None of those moments of humanity that made Alien and Aliens so much fun are presented by the crew, the supporting characters are all "guy who is offed 3" and "man who appears in background 2", they have no soul and no substance. 

Ultimately it is a piece of SciFi spectacle on an Unprecedented scale that is as hollow as any other blockbuster. I won't deny it is slick and a hell of a lot of fun though. 

Problems I had with the film:

Guy Pearce cast as an older Peter Weiland. Young men in prosthetics playing old men are shit. Get an old man. 

Biologist who pets an evil alien snake creature for no reason. Fucking earnt his PHD that one. 

David seems to know everything about the Derelict and the Engineer Aliens. Shame he never explains it to us. 

Corny dialogue. Characters getting stuck on "godforsaken rocks in the middle of space" jesus christ, write better.

A crew who are perfunctory and underwhelming, no one like Parker to lighten up a dim bunch. Unlikeable lead. Holloway was a dick, hated him. Guy comes back as a zombie. Why? WHY. 

What does the stuff in the vases do, what the fuck is going on? What are the snakes? Are they the worms from earlier? Are they stored in the vases? Jesus christ, someone SPECULATE AT LEAST. 

Utter mess of a last act. What the fuck was happening? It was ambiguous in a way that was unflattering. 

Underused sections: Shaw in the shuttle vs. the Engineer, should have been a longer, better scene. Tentacle beast SEVERELY underused for such a lush bit of design and CGI
    Of David. I am partly reconciled with his character. He doesn't know what he is doing exactly. He has spent 2 years assimilating tons of data based on Shaw and Holloway's findings. Despite being designed to look like a man in his Thirties, he is in fact a hyper-intelligent Synthetic human with the maturity of a child. When he is doing stuff in the temple/ship he is exploring, in wonder. I can buy the playing with things, I can buy the 'infecting Holloway' until he doesn't do anything with him. A poor imitation of Ash there, and his threat to stick Shaw in stasis is very much like Burke in Aliens.

The worms? Well - I think they are native to LV-223. The Ampules are full of that black goo which is some kind of ultra DNA based weapon. Methinks it speeds up evolution, or combines the Xenomorph DNA with the host DNA. In Alien, Aliens and Alien 3, the Xeno takes traits of its host. Holloway impregnates Shaw and the incubated thing is like a giant sperm, it matures into a slimy giant Facehugger, seemingly the only way it can 'impregnate' the engineers because those dudes are strong. If you notice, the engineers arms and legs and chest are very similar in design to the Xenos, hence that last scene shows a Xeno closer to the ones from Alien. So, the worms? Well my guess is the weird Cobra/Flukeworm thing that FUCKING MORON BOY pets is one of those worms crossed with the Xenos DNA, and that DNA is clearly the Bioweapon.

Both of these points suffer from poor handling. I got called out for Bugul for asking for two things in my original posts. Ambiguity like Alien, or full clarity and understanding of what is going on. What I really mean, is that I don't want the scriptwriters to force us into a position of not knowing whilst they do. In Alien, they had no backstory for the Xenos. It simply was. Its nature was discovered through Ash's science.

What I wanted in Prometheus was for them to commit, and not flip flop. They know nothing and then suddenly their guesses are utterly correct, their shots in the dark are fine. There wasn't enough fucking SCIENCE. Clearly their expectations of the Bioweapon DNA stuff is similar to what I've come up with, I'm just connecting points here, but have David or someone fucking FIGURE THAT OUT. I don't need to know WHY it is like that, I don't need to know WHY the Engineers made it, but some link between all these random events would be nice, don't imply coherency and then sack it off.

But if their biologist was thick enough to TRY AND PET A SEVEN FOOT LONG ALIEN FLUKE WORM THAT REARED UP MENACINGLY then I guess they wouldn't have a fucking clue what was going on anyway. Seriously, that is GCSE grade script writing there.

Oh, the music was frequently awful too. Main theme was utterly terrible, overused shite.
  • Yes, Scout and Tempy. 

wholeheartedly agree

g.man
  • Tempy wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    Underused sections: Shaw in the shuttle vs. the Engineer, should have been a longer, better scene. Tentacle beast SEVERELY underused for such a lush bit of design and CGI
    I was surprised by this too. He just appeared out of nowhere and then a second later he was dead. I was hoping that scene would be the equivalent of Ripley in escape pod at the end of Alien.

And another big NO from me with old man make up/CG. It just doesn't look right.
  • Yeah, the shuttle scene at the end was botched really badly. If they'd got that right they could practically have redeemed what had come before, but no, a real missed opportunity.
    I actually felt that that everything after the alien spaceship crashes to the ground felt very tacked-on and somewhat at odds with what had preceded it. 

Stank of studio meddling to my nostrils.

g.man
  • Yeah I definitely think there might be a better film in there that will become evident with a director's cut. I never saw the director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven but it's meant to be a vast improvement on the original release.

Some of the characterization was so piss weak. There was a guy right near the end that I literally had no idea who he was or what he had contributed to the mission.
  • Indeed. I thought it was very telling that for the entire duration of the film everyone had prominent name badges on display in virtually every scene. I didn't have the faintest idea who most of them were.

utterly forgetful

g.man
  • Yup, Ridders will have a directors cut out that is better. Exposition dialogue is the worst. You know how I came up with the worm -> flukeworm Alien + Shawsquid -> Giant Fugger = Engineer weapon is some kind of aggressive Xeno DNA? 

Because Ridley showed us very deliberate shots of things happening that worked in sequence. No one HAD to say anything because if you follow those shots, it makes sense. And then Lindelof comes in and goes OH GOD THEY'RE OUR MAKERS GUYS THIS IS SIGNIFICANT.

I have no problem with the Medbay Surgery scene though because YES. BODY HORROR. Fucking lapped that up. Also Noomi with the Ax at the end, after nearly giving up was an absolute FUCK YES moment even though she only got 5 seconds of glory.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Also Noomi with the Ax at the end, after nearly giving up was an absolute FUCK YES moment even though she only got 5 seconds of glory.
    Yes, just a pity it went from FUCK YES!!! to WTF??? in a heartbeat.

missed opportunity imo

g.man
  • WHERE DID THE FUCKING WORM COME FROM THOUGH???
  • From above:

The worms? Well - I think they are native to LV-223. The Ampules are full of that black goo which is some kind of ultra DNA based weapon. Methinks it speeds up evolution, or combines the Xenomorph DNA with the host DNA. In Alien, Aliens and Alien 3, the Xeno takes traits of its host. Holloway impregnates Shaw and the incubated thing is like a giant sperm, it matures into a slimy giant Facehugger, seemingly the only way it can 'impregnate' the engineers because those dudes are strong. If you notice, the engineers arms and legs and chest are very similar in design to the Xenos, hence that last scene shows a Xeno closer to the ones from Alien. So, the worms? Well my guess is the weird Cobra/Flukeworm thing that FUCKING MORON BOY pets is one of those worms crossed with the Xenos DNA, and that DNA is clearly the Bioweapon.

Guess is backed up by the fact that you see the worms trodden on, then after they've been in the room the works are in the leaked black goo and then from that same goo comes the Flukeworm bastard.
  • Yes, I agree with all that, but why were the soles of his boots conveniently covered in worms in the first place??? Where the fudge did they come from? Why were they on the soles of his boots???

too contrived

g.man
  • Again, I just think they were native to the planet? I dunno, it isn't explained. They knew what they wanted to do, but they didn't think it through.

Here, have some exposition "Vickers, we've scanned the planet it appears to be sustaining extremely basic forms of life, mosses, invertebrates etc"

I wrote that in 10 seconds, i'm sure you can sprinkle some Hollywood gloss on it Lindelof but just drop me a tenner, yeah?
  • What was the deal with the engineer right at the start?
  • They accidentally spliced the start of a Tool video onto the reel.

Nah, I get the idea that he was a runaway or something and he ingested that black goo and sacrificed himself to jump start evolution and human life.

Then we came and found one of the remaining Engineers and they realised we had made Synthetic humans and were capable of space travel so probably thought "Shit, need to put an end to our experiment on Earth as it has got out of hand like our last one."
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    That one Engineer they revived could have just been a massive cock in a race of otherwise reasonable people.
  • Nah, I think it is safe to make jumps in logic between "They share our DNA" to "We will follow in their path" to "They wiped out most of their race through tinkering with weaponised DNA" to "Shit, Earth is a priority target should we ever be activated again"
‹ Previous123456726

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!