regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I like the castle, but not the rest of it all.
  • Yeah I'm really not sold on it. My boy seems to like it and it's his bday in September so will most likely get a set
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • A ton for the bowser set though.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    YOU CAN BUY SPECIAL PACKS WHERE MARIO GETS AN OUTFIT INCLUDING A SPECIAL HAT.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    £9 a pop for suits is banter town and why Lego and all it makes can absolutely fuck off. Our kid will go nowhere near that overpriced adults-disguised-as-kids-pish.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Just before I get the amiibo gang in here -

Yep, majority were an absolute waste of money. When I culled them however, several of them commanded high prices and whilst not offsetting the original cost, helped.

Also I learned from that and have not bought an amiibo since 2016, so y'know, change.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    But it's always fun to hang on to old pish and not expect people to grow I guess.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    £9 seems like a lot for what's included given the outfits are large pieces (usually cheaper than several smaller pieces). Maybe they've scaled the sets down since the prices leaked and the final price is cheaper? Or maybe they are just insane?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Maybe Lego is bad.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Maybe.

Nintendo is bad
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Don't... don't even think that reg!
  • I always thought of Lego as well worth the price as it offers much more than just the set and a collection can be added to and played with in many different ways. Plus it is timeless and the bricks from my youth will work with anything from today.

That said when it gets to larger and more specific parts like these it can fuck off.
  • In fact I think this whole range is utter toss.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Right I've signed up livdiv
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    And we've managed to lure reg to the dark side, wowsers
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • 560 banger for the complete set. Almost the same as PS5
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    How much was the millennium falcon again
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The enemies are in blind bags so that's actually a MINIMUM of £560 for the whole set.
  • What a load of old shite
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • What? For real?!
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    The enemies are in blind bags so that's actually a MINIMUM of £560 for the whole set.

Back out.
  • If you look at any Lego range the price is probably for the full set is insane too, surely the whole point of this is Mario thing that it's pic'n'mix rather than go all in on day one?
  • Maybe but each bit seems a trivial thing to make for a grown 36 year old boy.

Also I feel like this set in particular relies on its modularity (on a set level of course) unlike most other Lego sets.
  • I guess i'm just looking at it as the kind of thing a kid would get two or three kits of for their Christmas present I guess. I think Lego is generally ridiculous in price anyway.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    I guess i'm just looking at it as the kind of thing a kid would get two or three kits of for their Christmas present I guess. I think Lego is generally ridiculous in price anyway.

No way I'm accepting that from you, GW boi ;)
  • I know you're joshing but...yeah it sounds like hypocrisy to say that about Lego vs GW. But my personal counter to that stuff is that I rarely pay RRP for anything GW make, it's generally 10%-20% off at third party stores, or mates rates for stuff like box splitting of stuff that GW already sell at a discount, further discounted by the resellers. Then there's all the time building and painting it, then the fact I can play warhammer with it. Knight was something like £67 from a thrid party store and it took me over a week to build and paint it.

Gunpla which i've dabled in feels like a more apt comparison. They're more akin to desk decoration, like Lego stuff, and they're sort of wonkily priced at times. But a £15 IBO Gunpla kit is a lot more fun than a £15 Lego kit, and they're posable too if you're a dork. The Master great stuff is quite big, and the Perfect grade stuff is unreasonably huge, but the Real Grade stuff is amazing - genuine little works of mechanical genius. There's a lot of joy in how Lego goes to gether, but Gunpla is fascinating - how they achieve the colour splitting with limited sprues, the weird little mechanical things that go on under the plates to make the range of motion in the joints possible.

I guess GW stuff and Gunpla tick more aesthetic boxes for me, but occasionally I drift over to the Lego store and the prices feel like gut punches. Find it easier to drop £15-£30 on a gunpla or a GW model/squad than I do for the equivalent lego stuff, which always feels to me as quite stingey.

All that said, I think the Lego Mario price sort of makes sense, given that it's meant to be pieces used in conjunction with some software.None of the play kits seem any more miserly than other equivalently priced Lego kits.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I really was joshing, but thats some reply :D

Can you easily dismantle the Knight and turn it into a hovercraft though?

NO, I DIDN'T THINK SO
  • I think on a Lego level it’s probably about equivalent. However the context And use of each kit is very narrow and explicitly so. That see saw with the piranha plants is literally and explicitly good for this tiny activity an activity that is meant to be part of a wider range.

Contrast that with a car or something on which you can choose more easily to apply your own fun to with your imagination and use it more broadly I think.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The thing with Lego is they manufacture the bricks at very low tolerances for the interlocking aspect. Lego also has good resale value. For example, the Mario sets are expensive but if you kept the boxes, kept the sets in good nick, applied any stickers carefully as an adult etc. then maybe you'd even make a profit selling on one day.

But then you could spend, say, £10 on a small themed set and get very little enjoyment out of it compared to a similar amount of money on model kits, which won't be manufactured to such a high standard (because they don't need to be) but actually provide hours of fun.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    I really was joshing, but thats some reply :D Can you easily dismantle the Knight and turn it into a hovercraft though? NO, I DIDN'T THINK SO

No but I magnetised its arms so I can chop and change between a Rampager and a Desecrator!

Also no one ever built the shitty back of the box alternate things, it's a lie we tell ourselves to feel good about ourselves.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!