‹ Previous12
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Casual games. For those of us who worked in an office in the 90s, the genteel delights of Solitaire, Freecell, Minesweeper etc. are well known.

I've been prompted to create this thread after accidentally clicking on Windows 10 Solitaire. I've always had a soft spot for PC solitaire - I used to like playing Vegas rules back in the Windows 3.1 and 95 days.

It's actually a slick package - and I ended up forking out £8 for a year of premium edition - I get Shanghai premium for that too - no ads is main reason as I loathe that caper.  Love a bit of Shanghai tile matching too.

MS Solitaire has Klondike, Tripeaks, Pyramid - and then Freecell and Spider which are on up the skill spectrum. Noice.

There's other packages on offer from MS too - there's a batch of word games I'm downloading.

Bejeweled never did it for me. Is Peggle casual?

Your favourites then.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Bejeweled is about as far down this particular rabbit as I’ve ever been.
    Get schwifty.
  • Drop 7 and words with friends for me

In facts anyone for a game of words with friends hit me up for as game
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • Wordament is another Microsoft winner on android. You earn Xbox cheevos too. Nice.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Homescapes it is for me. On level 1578 and still going.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Was just playing bejewelled the other day, love it.
  • I was hooked on an Atari ST Minesweeper clone called Skulls, back in the early ’90s. The twist was that it had a large playing field that you had to scroll around – not being able to see the whole playing area at once added a level of difficulty.
  • I actually really love a dirty match 3 game off the play store from time to time. The wee endorphin rush at the end as everything explodes. Install, blitz it for an hour, delete.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Homescapes it is for me. On level 1578 and still going.

But every advert makes it look like the most awful thing ever made?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yep.
  • My Dad still plays Solitare and Minesweeper on PC to this day.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Was just playing bejewelled the other, love it.

You really can’t beat it for my money.
    Get schwifty.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Yeah, Solitaire (patience, obviously) and Minesweeper are the daddies. Never got on with Candy Crush and the like. Plague Inc was good, not so sure I'd be happy to play it now though.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    (patience, obviously)

Not just me then, thank you
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Is Peggle casual? One player yes. Two player no.

DS and I used to battle hard!
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Peggle is only casual if you want it to be. What a game.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Would fancy 2 player Peggle - that possible online?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It is yeah. Well was, dunno if servers are still going.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I have it on 360 and PC.....It seemed to be local MP only but I could be wrong.

It's a bit of a masterpiece of a game. I love games that are a blend of luck and skill. I don't like having to think too hard when I play - I do enough of that when I work.

I'm a bit of a lazy bast .... I've always admired chess but enjoyed backgammon if you see what I mean. :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    ooh...forgot to mention that I adore Yahtzee. It's a great old MP game. I first played it on a computer - before I knew it was an actual dice game; an Apple IIe version in school that supported 4 players - made my "top 100 games I enjoyed ever" thread entry.
  • I used to have an Android game on an old phone that was brilliant.

It involved taking the Tetris shaped blocks and rotating them to fill a grid. I cant find it now which is annoying. There are loads out there but this one was genuinely great. Even had someone on the tube strike up a conversation when he saw me playing it, that never ever happens.

Edit: and like that I found it.
    100! Block Puzzle Classic is its name on the Play Store.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Tetris is a game adapted from a puzzle that involves filling a grid - no falling pieces of anything - was a physical puzzle. They weren't 5 block pieces though in that - were 7 I think?

Underlines the genius of adapting that old puzzle to create a genre.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/415K0n387lL._SX300_.jpg"
  • I think this game might be the same as the Tetris influence.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Liv, if you got to my apps in the app store, and select all, rather than installed, there should be a record of every app you've ever used.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Google play even.
  • I quite like a few of the mobile phone game types that appear on the EShop.  I assume they were originally mobile games and I've only seen them after the port.  I can usually convince my wife to get involved if it's a one button score chase thing (no luck with Switch 'n Shoot though).  

I can't think of the name of the main one we played, but you use one button to fling a square between the top and bottom of the screen (it sticks at either side until you press a face button) while other shapes move horizontally across your path - so you're just picking your spot to squeeze through as one hit pops you.  Every time you get to the other side you get an extra point, if you narrowly miss a shape you get a point boost, there are three power ups (one of them pops everything on screen, one slows everything down.  The other one probably does something too).  Otherwise that's it.  We've played it loads.  

I also bought this, but it's not been such a hit in the Moot house.  Perpetual motion in the left loop, triggers to speed up or slow down.  Don't bump into anything.  

• What is this 'casual gaming' that you speak of? Is that playing a videogame with only one hand on the controller?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Yes.  The other hand must be shoved down the front of your trackies/jeans.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Yes.  The other hand must be shoved down the front of your trackies/jeans.

Oh, you mean Bayonetta.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Wizard of OZ Slots.

Downloaded this to see what this genre of game is about. Free to download of course but peppered with opportunities to spend money.

To the publisher's credit the buying prompts and ads don't get in the way of what little game there is - it's about as interactive as a firework display - but the craft on show here is admirable. The quality of the audio-visual assets is high and the amount of stuff going on in the form of side-on distractions is remarkable. There's definitely a genre waiting in the wings that challenges a player's judgement in this way instead of just asking them to adjust the stake, tap spin, and resist the challenge to buy in.

The real skill of the devs here is the timing of psychological payoffs - quite remarkably well done. Just as I start to tire it throws something new in - I could see how folk of a certain type could easily get drawn in.

I want to see all the machines and you can grind your way through to that. Not sure if I'll stay the course but this is a curious genre of entertainment/distraction. It's a pity the design and dev skill on show isn't funnelled to more rewarding content.
  • I spent a lot of time playing Puzzle Quest. The rpg elements get some extra mileage out of the match three genre.

I've also had your Poker Solitaire open on a tab on my phone for a long time Davy.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!