Book Club
  • Also, for book buying I really like betterworldbooks.com. They do free worldwide postage and you can usually get used copies for cheap. Usually old library books. Plus they're a charity.
  • Double posted myself off the previous page...
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    September’s up for grabs, Shabby. Shall I put you down for it and then you can pick a book at your leisure?
    Get schwifty.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'm closer to Raiziel than any other review at the moment. I still haven't managed to finish it (a combination of little spare time and little interest) but will hopefully get it done by the end of the coming week.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Reinforcements!  Huzzah!  :D  I was beginning to feel a little lonely in my opinion.
    Get schwifty.
  • I'm bang on the fence. I haven't found it a particularly compelling read, but I have enjoyed some of the time I've spent reading it. Some good ideas about how intergalactic society might work, although a lot is quite derivative.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Raiziel wrote:
    September’s up for grabs, Shabby. Shall I put you down for it and then you can pick a book at your leisure?

Yes please! I have a few on my shelf that I've been meaning to read so I'll pick one of them.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Excellent. You’re all booked in, bud.
    Get schwifty.
  • I just finished Long on my night shift.

Overall I would say that I liked it. Not sure if it's the current climate but I was happy to have a book where things just kind of worked out. I haven't read all that much sci fi either so it fit nicely into my limited Firefly/Star Wars/etc knowledge of fluffy space.

It certainly did straddle that line of obvious metaphor though. She was obviously aiming to write a book about human emotions by building her races around it. To me that worked but I could see how you could also bounce off it.

I think my opinion of it was greatly helped by having recently read 2 of the 3 Mistborn books by Brandon Sanderson. The 2nd of which is one of the worst and laziest books I've read character-wise. It was just the story that pulled me through. This was definitely a step up from that.

Considering how most of the races seemed to be created to tackle a viewpoint I was wondering what people thought the Toremi were supposed to represent. Just humans ability to go to war over essentially the same ideals? I couldn't help but think of Palestine and Israel and that region but I kind of thought it might be a bit on the nose to be that targeted.

I might have some more opinions later but it's 4am and I'm tired and there's a plane to talk to.
  • It's a very quick read, angry planet. Should be finished after two more sessions, tops.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Classic Ozzies, living in the past
  • :P

The Long Way to a Small and Angry Planet

This book is very, very readable. Unlike say, a Gibson novel you dont get stopped by a new word at you dont understand. At all. Its something from the Asimov stable of sci fi where the text is there to be functional rather than a part of the world-building. This is because the book takes the form of a near continuous stream of dialog or trains of thought, many of which are runaways.

The focus on character interactions seems to be a really narrow one. Most of the discussions were about how one character would try to avoid some interplanetary/interspecies social faux pas or translate some behaviour into a familiar context. This would be resolved on first instance within a page or two before moving onto the next vignette about another inconsequential curiosity such as the dietary preferences of another crew member.

If that sounds like a complaint it is not so much that these descriptions exist, but that they are so disposable and unexplored. It has more in common with second scene walkthrough of a new planet with RTD era Doctor Who, where the companion walks through an alien marketplace or science outpost and sees a new type of culture. There is no serious discussion about the way these differences manifest during conflict or friendship aside from a furscalefest hookup. The focus on sex really undermines the focus on diversity and respect for it, because it is very one-dimensional.

The book is enjoyable enough. I finished it in 3 days and that is a rare thing. It just has no challenging ideas. The key act - a long journey - has no gravitas or sense of interminable duration in isolation because everyone is falling over themselves to respect how others get their rocks off. I'm reasonably sure that I've read books half the length of this that do a far better job of conveying danger, isolation and duration.

I guess what it comes down to is that there is no meat to this story. The setup feels eerily akin to Titan AE. The themes of diversity are given so much prominence but explored only to a superficial level. There is no threat, no quandary, no challenge to overcome and no resolution with nothing to resolve from. Its as if the author has identified a number of possible moral questions, and "solved them" by having the challenged character immediately cede to the wishes of the other character in an internal monologue lasting three lines, tops.

Kizzy is a fucking idiot too. A stereotype done far more justice in farscape/sg1.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Re-reading that makes it sound like I hate it. I dont, but I feel let down by the lack of substance. There are just so many potential avenues for deep exploration here (Grum and Silat pair societies in particular are two extremes of society that can always be done more justice - what did the former actually learn and how is that lesson applicable elsewhere? What does the conflict in the Silat society of heretics and whisperer/infected look like - and how would the whisperers cope with the core society of absolutists who claim to know the patterns of the universe?). What would happen to the AI who discovered the old archives? Was there deception in not finding it?

I was willing to go along with the author to where it went, but it didnt take off.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I don’t think Chambers is a capable enough writer to add meat to the bone of these issues.  She wants to, and she’s having a go, but she has a very underdeveloped, childlike perspective on the things she wants to tackle.
    Get schwifty.
  • I dont know anything about the author but so far as the story goes, that childlike understanding is reflected in the trauma of kizzy during the boarding. Like any armed holdup the experience will be frightening but it was very superficially handwaved away. The character was supposedly still in the midst of PTSD, self-medicating with drugs and unable to sleep.

All fixed by a platitude that about fear meaning you want to live.

I mean, that's not too far from telling someone to drink some concrete to harden up. Its coming from a different place (support rather than contempt) but it is a harmful fobbing off of a serious issue.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm not gonna argue with anything Vela had written, pretty similar take to mine really
  • Yeah it's all fair points. It slims along the surface of a lot of interesting ideas but doesn't go deeper than that.
    I agree that the long journey didn't seem so much either as well. Initially it sounded like they would be stuck on the ship for that whole time but then they kept making trips to other planets and such.

Not sure what the other books she's written in the universe are like but if she took this book as a world builder and then looked deeper into it with the others they could be cool.
  • If the author develops more nuanced, patient and detailed situations then great. Certainly can't fault her for trying to do something a bit different or focus on characters rather than events. It just needed more than a superficial treatment.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Hmm. I think the book’s failures are so numerous and spectacular that I absolutely can fault her. For me there’s not a single element of what constitutes a good read in which she actually succeeds. Her world is derivative, her characters are basically adults as imagined through the eyes of a child, the story is virtually nonexistent and the drama is as flaccid as an old man’s tadger.
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Maybe not for Grem than Raiziel... but novella To Be Taught, If Fortunate, is down to 99p for the day.

It's by Becky Chambers...
  • It's a really good novella! One of the best I've read, actually. Very different to ALWTAAP.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    The Builders have arrived!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Finished it just now.

Hmmm a mix of thoughts. But I shall remain silent for now I suppose!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    What's happening in June??
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Thought I'd browse my Kindle for something to read next. It has 43 pages of books to choose between, 6 books on each. How the fuck did that happen I've only read about ten on it total. What is it with me and insurmountable piles of shame??
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    What's happening in June??

Would like to hear from uncle as to whether he’s definitely in or definitely out.  If he’s out we’ll need someone to swoop in and take the June slot.
    Get schwifty.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    It's the only other book I've received so far! It sounds interesting.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Finished The Builders.

The Affirmation has also arrived, waiting for Angry Planet to get here to fill up the rest of May. I really liked my public library.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’ve had a quick word with uncle and he’s decided not to pick next month’s book. So who would like to take the June slot? Whoever wants it will also need to pick a book ASAP so everyone participating has a fair chance to get hold of it.
    Get schwifty.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!