myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Sorry, not been in here much, but there's a lot going on right now even if my city is a bubble.

I really enjoyed The Builders. Tigers spoiler is exactly what I would have written down. Once the library is open I will check for more of his books.

Want to add that I really enjoyed how visually the book was. The length of chapters made it really easy to build that little scene up in your head. I've always had a weak spot for the Wild Wild West, and this was great.

Haven't started on the next one yet, I will soon hopefully.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It's good this eh. Needs a certain amount of energy to read, but rewarding for it.
  • I popped back on here to message someone a few days back and saw this here book club. So being the rude, yet literate bastard that I am, I invited myself. 

Started on The Builders as I thought I'd have no chance of catching up otherwise. Really enjoyed it, was very much rewarding during the read without a huge amount of depth. Moreso,
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    About 100 pages into The Narrow Road..always reserve judgement until I've finished a book but the lack of quotation marks is eating away at me. I need to get out more.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Welcome, Stoph! Good to have you on board. If you’d like to pick a book we have September free.

I’m a good 80% of the way through The Narrow Road. The lack of quotations marks is annoying (and lazy as far as I’m concerned), but I’ve ended up adapting. The book itself is a bit of a mixed bag.
    Get schwifty.
  • Cheers Raiziel. Don't want to queue jump, so happy to go behind any of the more frequent posters. 

The main protagonist is 
    Spoiler:
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    You’re welcome to September, Stoph. I have asked and no one else has jumped on it. Keen to keep an advance schedule of at least two or three books so everyone has plenty of time to source the books.
    Get schwifty.
  • Hello Stoph! My copy of this arrived today.
  • I would like my choice to be:

Humankind: A Hopeful History by Rutger Bregman

Whenever there’s a slot available.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Stopharage wrote:
    The main protagonist is 
    Spoiler:

Definitely sounds like The Builders...
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    The Daddy wrote:
    I would like my choice to be:

Humankind: A Hopeful History by Rutger Bregman

Whenever there’s a slot available.
    That's a good one, sounds like that will be the month I can catch up on the thing Muzzy chose.
    As it's a non fiction book, maybe uncle wants to join for that one again. It's a really easy read (at least it is in Dutch), so even if non fiction isn't your thing usually, it's quick to get through.

Unlike this Narrow Road. It's not written in a style that's easy for me to follow along, and I struggle a bit with it. Probably the lack of quotation marks that doesn't help either.

I'm only about 30 pages in (yes I'm a really slow reader, will need to add some day time tea sessions for this) so I'm sure I'll get used to it some more. It's not bad, just a bit confusing, but instead of trying to follow along with each sentence, I'm hoping to at least catch the overall story.

• I've gone audio book for this month as I think I'd struggle to engage with it otherwise.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    The Daddy wrote:
    I would like my choice to be: Humankind: A Hopeful History by Rutger Bregman Whenever there’s a slot available.

Shall I put this down for September then?

Also, just finished The Narrow Road to the Deep North.  Yep...
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Well the second third of it is pretty brutal. I write want to get back to Australia now...
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I'm not struggling as much with Narrow Road as much anymore, but I'm still not sure what it is I'm reading. It's definitely a lot.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Finished June's book! Raiziel has finished too per above, how are others getting on? I'm interested in others thoughts!!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    The Affirmation by Christopher Priest next eh? Further cementing how different Raiziel's tastes are too mine?? Tube in next month to find out.... might get the hump on it soon I suppose, can't remember if I even bought it yet!
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Bonus trivia: Christopher Priest wrote The Prestige, which another Christopher turned into a movie.
    Get schwifty.
  • I'm just over half way.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I think I just got past the 200 page mark. I'm also have a lot dreams that feature mud. Not sure if it's related.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    The Affirmation by Christopher Priest next eh? Further cementing how different Raiziel's tastes are too mine?? Tube in next month to find out.... might get the hump on it soon I suppose, can't remember if I even bought it yet!

Don’t like the sound of The Affirmation then Muzzy?
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Haven't even looked at it so no idea at all yet! Was more your hatred of the first book and the suspicious "Yep..." above.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Oh right.  Hmm...
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ruh-roh
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Nah, it’s fine.  Sort of.  Maybe.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    It's open season on last months book, so unmarked spoilers are now allowed.  Share your thoughts!
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ooh yes.

I really liked it. It's my kind of book, at least for when I have the energy for such things (as it obviously takes a bit more effort to get through than some). A fair bit of jumping between people and times but that worked pretty well. Liked the early romance. Pretty harrowing stuff in the middle, but am overall message about how the little things often stick with you more than the big - how his affair with Amy had as much of a listing impact on him as all the pow stuff. Soon real humanity in it, obviously some of it personal (his dad an actual pow in Burma). Echoes of the English Patient, another fave book of mine. Wouldn't have minded quote marks, but happy to have to work for it really. A rewarding read.

* waits for Raiziel to say it was shit *
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I think Muzzy might be anticipating that I didn't like The Narrow Road to the Deep North.  Well I've got news for you, buster: you'd be right!  But also wrong.  I really liked a particular part of The Narrow Road; the part that was the most focused, the most traumatising.  So the middle third of the book, which takes place in Burma, feels like the vertical slice of a better book we never get to read.  If the narrative had perhaps been a more traditional reflection on the horrors the POWs suffered in the jungle it would have been a more engaging piece.  But instead that really juicy filling is topped and bottomed by some thick, anaemic, doughy bread.

So it's the story of a life instead, then.  One scarred by regret.  But oh wait, it's also the story of some other lives too.  I mean the whole thing around that excellent jungle part felt so baggy and unfocused.  For my tastes Flanagan casts his net too widely, and a lot of the things he drags up just aren't all that interesting or engaging.  His love affair with Amy is too fleeting for me to care about once the story has moved on, and I'm also less inclined to care because Dorrigo isn't much of a sympathetic character.  In fact I think Darky Gardiner was the only character I found myself caring about throughout the entire story.

Flanagan wields his words well, and I found myself effectively transported to that jungle hell for the book's second act, so I can't help but wonder what could have been if he'd focused in on that.  But then what to I know.  It won the Man Booker Prize after all.
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    That's probably fair on the end bit, the leading between characters was maybe not that well done (eg Nakamura's lack of remorse etc), so maybe a tighter focus could have helped a little. But I still liked it :p
  • I’ve nearly finished now I think. As I mentioned earlier, I went audiobook for this and I’m glad I did. (I generally have two books on the go, one audio for while I’m out running and one physical/kindle). It’s not the sort of book I’d normally read, I would probably have bounced off it or taken twice as long to get through if I’d been reading.

It’s the sort of book that rewards your full attention. You get dragged into the often harrowing scenarios, which Flanagan seems adapt at describing with just the right amount of detail. Christ it’s a grim old book though.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I've also started the new book!  It's not what I thought it was gonna be, too early to say more than that...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!