Book Club
  • Raiziel wrote:
    In that you've already read it? Should I pick another book so you don't have a month off?

You happy with that choice then, Shabby? If so i’ll update the op.

Yep, lock it in Larry
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Anyone else reading Kraken?

I got to chapter 4 last night.
    Spoiler:
    ^no story spoilers, just a little bit about expectations and language. Spoiler just in case people want to go in blind.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’ve read it, Nina, and I did wonder how you might get on with it, knowing English isn’t your first language.  I didn’t enjoy the prose style at all.  Good luck to you, because it’s a long book.
    Get schwifty.
  • Aye, I didn't realise how long it was when I suggested it. I usually check these things too. :/
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Glad it's the month I've skipped lol

Instead filling the second half with The Man Who Was Thursday. Which is kinda fun.
  • I'm enjoying it.

Mieville is an incredibly skilled writer. Even if this is one of his weakest (which is the general attitude, as i understand it) it's still got a lot to like. He does love an archaic or out there word choice, of course, and is is very playful with language; I can definitely see that being painful for a non-native speaker.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Glad it's the month I've skipped lol

Instead filling the second half with The Man Who Was Thursday. Which is kinda fun.

I think I read half of that
  • Really digging Kraken now.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Think I'm about a quarter in or so, it really took up at some point, but the last few nights of reading were a bit less good again.

I like the general idea of the book, the weirdness of the story is something I appreciate and like, but it reads very awkwardly still. Which I think is a combo of the writing style and weird story, quite often I go "ehh what happened here" and when reading back it doesn't reveal that much more.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Was curious if it was translated to Dutch but I don't see it. Just the Station one.
    Wondering if translation would work at all for something like this. Must have some crazy language knowledge to pull it off. I remember Harry Potter being wrong in a couple areas, and for at least the first two books there was a lot of time for translation. Less so for the later ones, still remember the news articles about people standing with big spoilers painted on sheets outside of book stores when the last one was translated and released.

It's a pretty interesting subject, translation. I don't really watch anything with Dutch subtitles anymore (prefer to see and hear the English at the same time), but it was always fun pointing out errors. Remember numbers being swapped (546 to 564 or something), and B picking up on computer terms being translated wrongly.
  • I'm enjoying this Kraken, but I'm nowhwere near finished. Feels like a Robert Rankin book, but more mainstream.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I'm nowhere near finished either. About half way I think. I think it might be my least liked Mieville as it stands... but I'm still really enjoying it. I find his writing totally absorbing and, um, beyond my intelligence.

I can't conceive how his writing would translate into another language. It is incredibly rich and dense.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Never read one. Slightly scared of the idea.

I started Thingy of Blood and Bone last night, meanwhile #aheadofthecurve - deffo YA but too early to form any real judgement...
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    New month, new book.  For anyone who’s finished Kraken feel free to share your thoughts on it.

I have some thoughts on it, none of them good.  Mild spoilers may follow.  After finishing Mieville’s Perdido Street Station some years ago I said on here that I’d never read another one of his books.  I really mean it this time, because where there were at least elements from Perdido that I enjoyed, there is next to nothing in Kraken to recommend it.  I don’t mind the kind of absurdism Mieville employs here.  I’ve read plenty of Robert Rankin, Pratchett, Adams and Gaiman.  But a book this long and this absurd really did need to be tempered with a generous dollop of humour, and it’s mostly lacking (I did snicker early on when Collingswood pisses herself laughing when the origamist tries to explain very seriously how he does what he does).  In fact Mieville too often takes his silly narrative way too seriously.  I mean the whole thing about the familiars being on strike was fucking stupid when not played for laughs.

On to characters.  There aren’t any, are there.  Cartoon characters, sure, but there’s no depth to anyone here.  There’s no time, because Mieville is too busy ping ponging them from one silly event to the next.  The protagonist is utterly lost amid all the noisy world building and plot contrivances.  He’s a pale imitation of Arthur Dent, I suppose, suddenly exposed to a bizarre world he never knew existed, but we never get to know anything about him.  Oh, and Goss and Subby; cartoon villains of the lowest order, and about as threatening as Marvin the Martian.

Finally, the prose.  I’d just finished reading Far From the Madding Crowd when I started Kraken, and if Hardy’s work is the literary equivalent of being draped in lustrous silk, then reading Kraken is more akin to eating a meal of broken glass.  It’s all sharp edges and unpleasant going down.  That’s not to say that I don’t recognise that Mieville’s talent as a writer, but I just do not enjoy the prose style he employs here.  And what’s more, it seems every fourth line of dialogue is an incomplete sentence, and he does that across most characters, so that most of them start to sound the same.  This just wasn’t a pleasant reading experience for me at all.  It has the texture of, I don’t know, beat poetry.  And that’s fine perhaps for a novella.  But stretched across almost five hundred pages?  No thanks.

I’ll pick out one small element I liked, and it was when I thought Mieville was at his most restrained.  The character of Jason Smyle (I think) who has the talent of looking like someone you think you know.  I really enjoyed those two very short scenes and the way he wrote how people reacted to him.  They’re over too soon and then it’s back to Mieville shouting at you again about how crazy his world is.  This is definitely my last Mieville book.  Definitely definitely.
    Get schwifty.
  • I do wonder if you'd prefer one of his 'straighter' novels more. The City and The City in particular is far less of a grab bag of weird fiction, and isn't quite so self-indulgent because of it. Kraken definitely feels like Mieville indulging himself (much as with the Bas Lag books) and going rampant with shoving ideas here there and everywhere, whereas TC&TC is a lot more controlled in scope.

I'll post further thoughts once I'm at a computer.

I disagree re: the union stuff.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Currently at page 150-ish which I already tried to read yesterday but just put aside then. I still don't know where it's going and it's so hard to visualize what he's trying to tell.
    Spoiler:

I do like Collingswood and would like to know more about her character tbh. Will probably reserve next book at the library tomorrow, and if this one hasn't grabbed me again by then I might return it when I pick the other one up.

@Raiziel, I've seen you a couple times mention that you didn't enjoy the characters in some of the books we read. What would you say are, for you, great examples of character building? Just curious.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    @Nina, most recently I would say Thomas Hardy’s Far the Madding Crowd.  In that book I get a very strong feeling for who they are by the ways in which they react with each other.  In Jeff VanderMeer’s Annihilation he spends a lot of time delving into the protagonists past, and while I might not necessarily like the character, I get to understand them and why they might seem aloof and closed off to others.  I’ve become a reader who prefers a characters-first approach to storytelling, and many authors prefer a story-first approach.  And that’s not to say I can’t enjoy a story-first book; Weaveworld, which I mentioned recently, is a story-first novel.  There just has to be really good story to propel me forwards.  I can’t even say Kraken is a story-first novel; it seems to me like it takes a world building-first approach.  I just didn’t care for the world building.

One last example of a character-first story that a few of us read: Leave the World Behind.  It’s low on story, but I thought the characters were very nicely rendered.
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I thought the characters were meh
  • I haven't touched Kraken yet, but will try and get that done this month as I've read Children of Blood and Bone before. I'll be honest, I can't remember a great deal of it but gave it 3 stars on goodreads so must have done something right. A searing insight, granted. The main characters were well fleshed out though, especially bearing in mind its YA fiction and I remember it didn't outstay its welcome. One of my colleagues is Nigerian and she said that the cultural aspects and African mysticism parts were pretty well done. For a debut novel, the writing was pretty decent as well and the plot rattled along. I think my biggest bugbear was it all became a bit predictable.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Annihilation was a good one, have to agree on that. Might need to give it a reread and focus more on the character development, I remember having a few struggles with that at times as well, but also enjoying it. Haven't read the others so put them on a list that I will never get round to as I already have a hard time keeping up with these books.

Am around the 200 page mark in Kraken. I still don't understand why I can enjoy a chapter, and then be utterly confused by the next one. Usually I get some kind of visuals in my brain while reading, but it's been a lot of blanks while reading this. Part of me is excited by it, because I've never read something like it before, which gives the feeling of the story going anywhere and taking unexpected turns. Other part is just confused, and wondering if really everything had to be pulled into this world.

Placed a hold on Children of Blood and Bone, will be at least a week before I can pick it up I assume.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Looks like it’s my turn next month, so unless we have anyone who hasn’t picked anything and would like to, I’d like to choose Piranesi by Susanna Clarke for April.
    Get schwifty.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Placed a hold on Piranesi but there are 7 other people that have it on hold before me, so depends on how quickly people read and if they will return books. Don't think they currently charge you anything if you're late.

Also placed a hold on Leave the World Behind, as I'm curious, but with 124 people having it on hold and 32 copies between all libraries this could take a while.

About 100 pages to go in Kraken.
  • I've been reading Blood and Bone. Had some nice sunny days in the park reading it. Can't help but feel like it's currently being carried by it's setting and world at the moment as the story beats are pretty stock standard. But I'm enjoying it. I like the style of magic.

Can someone recommend a really good fantasy him for me? The last fantasy thing I read before this was the Mistborn books and I thought there were fucking woeful apart from the well described action.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’m not well read in high fantasy, but if you don’t mind some proper adult fantasy that’s partially set in this world then I can wholeheartedly recommend Imajica by Clive Barker.
    Get schwifty.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Done with Kraken
    Raiziel wrote:
    It’s all sharp edges and unpleasant going down.  That’s not to say that I don’t recognise that Mieville’s talent as a writer, but I just do not enjoy the prose style he employs here.  And what’s more, it seems every fourth line of dialogue is an incomplete sentence, and he does that across most characters, so that most of them start to sound the same.  This just wasn’t a pleasant reading experience for me at all.  It has the texture of, I don’t know, beat poetry.
    Not sure if I'm as harsh about the writing style as Raiziel sums it up, but it took a lot of effort for me to get through it. It was hard for me to feel where sentences stopped or started, sometimes ending up thinking I was reading a conversation, but it had moved on already and it was actually a description again. Wasn't always clear if things were thoughts, conversation, or just information. I'm glad I read it, as it definitely was a new experience for me to read something like this. Wondering if I would have gotten more out of it if it was easier to follow, but since Tiger mentions earlier on this page that it was beyond his intelligence as well, I guess the weird word clutter at times is probably just that, clutter and not that much more. Felt like I constantly needed to see more, that things would fall together if I kept going and that his words would untangle at some point and show the actual world building, but that point never really came. Must be part of what draws people to this style, and it definitely made me curious about where things could go.

Now for the story, I'll spoiler as I will probably mention the end
    Spoiler:
    Just some random things pointed out there. Feel like it's hard to really comment on it, as I don't really feel any wiser than after the first couple chapters. It's a fun collection of ideas and character concepts might be a good description? Held together by a bunch of words and references I don't understand.

Will get on Children of Blood and Bone. I should be able to understand something aimed at teenagers, right?
  • Raiziel wrote:
    I’m not well read in high fantasy, but if you don’t mind some proper adult fantasy that’s partially set in this world then I can wholeheartedly recommend Imajica by Clive Barker.

Reckon I have read that one in the past. I'm a fan of the old Barker I am. His ability to describe the indescribable is almost unmatched.

Not sure I've read the full series though. I'll go back to it
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Reckon I have read that one in the past. I'm a fan of the old Barker I am. His ability to describe the indescribable is almost unmatched. Not sure I've read the full series though. I'll go back to it

Have you read Robin Hobb’s Farseer trilogy?  If you want fantastic writing + fantasy this series is brilliant so far.  I read the first two last year and will be reading the third one this year.  Her prose is damn near faultless.  My only misgiving so far is that she allows the villain to walk all over the good guys a little too easily for the sake of drama.  Really though, it’s brilliant so far.  My next high fantasy indulgence is Tad Williams’ Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series, which I’ll probably start within the month.
    Get schwifty.
  • Alright I'll check it out. I've heard of her but I don't think I've ever read any
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Currently 5th in queue for Piranesi, so unlikely that I'll get it before next month.

Am almost halfway in Children of Blood and Bone, and got Senlin Ascends that I need to get to as well,so might just catch up with next month later this year.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    New month, new book.  If you read last months book let’s hear about it.
    Get schwifty.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!