Streets of Rage 4 - The Grandest Upper - Out now!
  • @Eric
    Cheers for that. I was playing the MD collection but I have the trilogy collection on 360 as well so next time I will give Bare Knuckle 3 a go instead.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm really excited for this game, but yeah, 2 hours tops, please.
  • It needs to be completable between finishing school and when you have to go home for your tea.
    However not on the first attempt.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    It needs to be completable between finishing school and when you have to go home for your tea.
    However not on the first attempt.

That's a great analogy.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Finishing school eh??

Playing it with books balanced on your head reciting "The Bla-aze, in Ra-age dies mostly in the ca-age"
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • It also needs little brother mode, where you have a dumb af AI companion that just dies and calls in specials on blank screens.

I am the youngest in my family and I'm pretty sure I did that and got beat up for it.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    hahaha, it should steal 10 MS points every time they join in too
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Will this be on Gamepass? I don't think I've ever played a SoR game but I used to love side scrolling best em ups back in the day.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Yes it launches on GamePass alongside the other formats.
  • Ooft. Will be playing with the kids then.
  • Fucking Gamepass...I mean, holy shit.
  • Streets of Rage is pretty much on par with Street Fighter 2 in terms of the esteem hold it in and the memories I have.

Can't wait to bare knuckle some goons. Doubt I'll ever get to do 4 player local but I'm still delighted it's there.
  • Cross platform?
  • nick_md wrote:
    Cross platform?

Online co-op? Unfortunately not, don't see it happening.
  • No buy for me then. It looks cracking but I won't get the feels out of it on my jacks.
  • I guess everyone will be on XBox then. But if anyone does go PS4, I'll be up for some co-op.
  • I’m thinking I’ll get this on GamePass but also buy the Switch version, so I can play it handheld when I can’t get on the One (eldest daughter has discovered Roblox), and I can play it local MP as Switch is the only format I have multiple pads.

Streets of Rage 2 is probably an all time top ten for me, and although I’m not 100% sure of the art style of 4, I’m optimistic this looks close enough gameplay wise.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • I don't like the art style but I'll reserve judgement until I get my hands on. Its a shame the pixel art character option doesn't have a matching background too, that could have been lovely.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • I do like the art style but my initial reaction was that I would have preferred a 16 bit thing.
    I am coming round to it though, it is challenging in some ways.
    Is this art style what the original developers would have done if they had the computing power? Probably.
  • What did we get instead over that era? Fighting Force was supposed to be a 3D one at one point. In house at Sega there was Dynamite Cop 2 and Spikeout.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • The genre kinda died at its core really.
    The Bouncer, State of Emergency, Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks.

I guess it maybe transformed into Dynasty Warriors type things. God of War perhaps even shares some lineage.

Once Xbox Live Arcade was established there were more throw backs.
  • JonB wrote:
    I guess everyone will be on XBox then. But if anyone does go PS4, I'll be up for some co-op.

This was why I was asking, I'll probably pick it up so will be up for some coop, weekends only though realistically (zero appetite for games after work, most days).
  • Yeah, the genre never really survived the move to 3d. Liv's probably not far off - I guess the lineage is seen in most 'brawling' type games. Even Bayonetta and DMC pay it more debt than we would initially think, perhaps. I would have been absolutely gutted if they had added any sort of levelling up mechanics, though I'm not totally averse to them. Just not in SoR.

I would bloody love it if they went on to do a similar thing with Golden Axe in future.
  • Within 3 seconds of reading that post and I have Fiend's Path music in my head.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Yeah, the genre never really survived the move to 3d. Liv's probably not far off - I guess the lineage is seen in most 'brawling' type games. Even Bayonetta and DMC pay it more debt than we would initially think, perhaps. I would have been absolutely gutted if they had added any sort of levelling up mechanics, though I'm not totally averse to them. Just not in SoR.

I would bloody love it if they went on to do a similar thing with Golden Axe in future.

I think the Yakuza games are probably the closest to a 3D Streets of Rage, when it comes to the fighting.

I had high hopes for Anarchy Reigns, but never really clicked with me.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Eric wrote:
    I don't like the art style but I'll reserve judgement until I get my hands on. Its a shame the pixel art character option doesn't have a matching background too, that could have been lovely.

My thoughts exactly.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I would have liked a 'switch' option like they did with Halo, letting you flip between modern and pixel art styles That would have been awesome. 

I can completely understand why they didn't go down that route though.
  • I would bloody love it if they went on to do a similar thing with Golden Axe in future.

Hell yes. Love Golden Axe!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!