regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    A thread for positivity in a maelstorm of shite. 

A thread for games that you found over the past few weeks that maybe you had neglected, or found the time to play now, or maybe ones you just went back to as comfort food.

Anything that has helped, basically. 

This is not a thread to dunk on a game that is mentioned - there are plenty of other outlets for this. Rather, it's kind of building on the most recent issue of Edge's idea about games that have helped in the current situtation; although as you'll see below, the restriction on non-shooty shooty is not here at all. 

So go at it. Talk about the games that have helped, the games you have found solace in, or maybe just a game that you think needs to shine when people may have more time on their hands.

I'll start...

The Division 2 
    https://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/WCCFthedivision218.jpg

There's probably an element of irony here in that I bounced off D1 because of the too hard-on love for the military and its associated miscellendria, and that now I am going into D2 during a time when it has somewhat proven itself prescient in its prediction of a pandemic, and the economic and social fallout following. 

Thankfully, D2 is not a game that really is able to present plot in a cohesive, or, to be frank, efficient manner. And that's what helps it onto this list. I've found just toddling about landscapes and shooting people (again, dodgy politics aside) to be a very relaxing way of spending time. 
    And what helps most is during those fallow stretches - when you know it's 2 hours until dinner, or there's no more e-mails to send a day, it's something that can make time pass very quickly. 
    I'm sure Animal Crossing will appear here at some point, but as a contre-pont to that, I wanted to provide the mindless, tick it off, satisfying shooter alternative.
  • I've just reinstalled Div 2 for the reasons you said! It's quite a good game in many ways. The missions are fun too and I liked how they managed to work out a way to explain tanky enemies in a "real world" game. I've got a couple of mates who have it too so I'm looking forward to coop.

My main choice here though is Rocket League!!!
    I've played it on and off ever since it came out. Always being fairly average. Since the iso I've been playing it heaps more as more people I know have had time to play it. I'm still pretty average but I get the odd aerial. It's brought lots of laughs in the last few weeks, a well timed What A Save never gets old. The Heatseeker mode they did for a limited time was a bunch of fun too, hopefully it comes back.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Man I really should fire up the old league. It's even in my switch ffs.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    City Skylines.

I've been having trouble sleeping the last few days so I've been exploring my neglected steam catalogue. City Skylines is perfect for a bit of focused attention (but not over excitement) when you need to clear your mind.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Had a couple of hours on Rocket League myself last night, great game, even with randoms. I think the player base is suffering though, had about eight games on the spin with the exact same players (won 6 lost 2).

Been on Divvy 2 too. Story is utterly irrelevant to me, but the world building is great. They seem to have done a bang up job of dotting things to do around the map, something on every other street corner. Some of the level design in the main missions is great too, fighting in a museum or planetarium elevates it even though it's the exact same mechanics we've played countless times before. I love my pink gas grenade launcher too.
  • FFVII Remake really couldn't have come at a better time in this respect. Of course, that's in part due to the heavy nostalgia hit, but also that, in spite of some serious themes, it's just a really nice world to spend time in. It's not trying to be gritty, the chatter between characters is fun, and the music is soothing.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    FFVII Remake really couldn't have come at a better time in this respect. Of course, that's in part due to the heavy nostalgia hit, but also that, in spite of some serious themes, it's just a really nice world to spend time in. It's not trying to be gritty, the chatter between characters is fun, and the music is soothing.

My only regret with it was that I burned through it so damn quickly. I did the whole thing in a week, because it kept compelling me forward, but the beats, the world, the music are all incredible. When I get my copy back I will likely go through it for a second run.

I am now eyeing up my switch copy of 7 for a run. That's absolutely insane though. I think I might do a run on 8 instead.
  • You can polish off OG 7 in less time than it took you to do the Remake, it's a fairly pacey game. VIII is interesting enough, just for the weird combat system, but really what you want to do is play IX or X for feelgood times.

Apropos of the FF stuff, they did a poll in japan recently, and their five top 5 games were ranked X, VII, IV, XIV, IX. No VIII, for good reason.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    My only regret with it was that I burned through it so damn quickly. I did the whole thing in a week, because it kept compelling me forward, but the beats, the world, the music are all incredible. When I get my copy back I will likely go through it for a second run.
    I basically had to finish it in 3 days, which wasn't the way I would've chosen to play it. But since then I've been going back, repeating bits for things I missed and doing some chapters on Hard. I think I'll keep dipping back in between other things.
  • It was Animal Crossing, which I need to get back to. You miss a turnip Sunday and it feels pointless for the rest of the week. I know that's silly..

Plunder in MW is fantastic but I don't know if I would recommend glorious violence to chill out.

I usually find it hard to actually choose what I'm playing, and whatever it is I do choose, it's because I've had it in my head for the majority of the day thinking about it, thinking about getting home and playing it. Spur of the moment decisions only happen when the main course of the evening is done, if at all.

But with the pressures of, well, everything right now, I find myself putting pressure on myself to make the absolute most of the time I have off work. I have to finish this, watch that, read that, look up that, listen to that - or else my Time Off will be deemed Useless. And I freeze sometimes, ending up in a "well its better than nothing" loop of youtube and maybe the odd game of fifa. So I'm finding it a little bit harder just now just to Spend Time. Think my brain is having its resources taken elsewhere and is leaving me wanting..

Back on track, last night I put on some vinyl for the first time in months and months. Songs that, for the last couple hundred times I'd listened to them, was through Spotify in my car. I forgot the difference. Damn.

Had a great wee power hour last night of finding fave songs and blasting them, so clear. Smiles were beamed, some kind of passion went through me and came out via movement, a fist rattle, a singalong. I felt something for once in this hellscape.
    This was meant to be games. Sorry. I've went on.
  • This was the new Ori for me and then THE PATCH came and ruined my run through. I’ve moved on though and I’m definitely not bitter and in no way do I check back every day just to make sure that it hasn’t been fixed yet. Nope, not interested anymore. Got myself a new life now.
  • Although Reg has very kindly loaned my FFVII to play, I am finding that after doing 6-8hrs of 3D modelling at my desk with headphones on, I am craving human voices other than Ev (cos she is similarly busy) so I have been playing MoHan Iceborne for a few hours on voice with my pals and it has been the right game to play at this time. Something quite relaxing about ticking off wishlists of weapons and armour as I work towards End Game ready sets for Hammer and all three Gunlance Variants.
  • Ass Creed Odyssey. Put a good 24 hours in I think in a week as it’s a joy to play and it’s just beautiful.

The world is such a joy to climb and run around in, the combat is luscious, and you’re a Spartan. What more could you want?
  • Transistor has been a good game for me. It was the first game I played since the passing of Rave. It's nice and sedate, can go at your own page. Looks gorgeous, and music is beautiful.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    Ass Creed Odyssey. Put a good 24 hours in I think in a week as it’s a joy to play and it’s just beautiful.

The world is such a joy to climb and run around in, the combat is luscious, and you’re a Spartan. What more could you want?
    It really is an amazing game - I fucking loved it really moved the franchise in a modern direction.
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • Bob wrote:
    Verecocha wrote:
    Ass Creed Odyssey. Put a good 24 hours in I think in a week as it’s a joy to play and it’s just beautiful.

It really is an amazing game - I fucking loved it really moved the franchise in a modern direction.

I was better prepared for it after my difficulties with Origins. Playing this like an RPG instead of an overly long stealth-action romp.
  • Gotta be Minecraft.  A game that makes you feel like almost anything is possible, all you gotta do is dream, and punch some wood.  Whether it's letting you're imagination run wild in a creative test world or seeing the gradual improvements of a shared survival world - your first caving run, getting your crops and animal farms going, those first steps into the nether, getting an enchanting setup, your first redstone project, searching for a stronghold, and on and on, and all the while you're constantly building and improving your base - the freedom and possibilities will keep me coming back to this for as long as I'm playing games, but it's especially helpful right now. 

• With added naval action and battles and Hunting amazing animals and exploring and fuck me they better port it to switch I’m
    In day one
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • Is that Minecraft Dungeons any good?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Not out yet is it? I've pre installed it, its on Gamepass. Looks perfect for me and the lad.
  • Can you just wander around single-player in Division 2? If so, do I have to get through hours of tutorials first? Is the world hostile, or only when engaged? (like a world of fiancés)

My lockdown games have been Noita, Bloodborne, Dark Souls and Mad Max. Little rays of sunshine, all.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    trippy wrote:
    Can you just wander around single-player in Division 2? If so, do I have to get through hours of tutorials first? Is the world hostile, or only when engaged? (like a world of fiancés)

My lockdown games have been Noita, Bloodborne, Dark Souls and Mad Max. Little rays of sunshine, all.

I've been playing Div 2 completely solo - there are online instances but they're not essential. There's about a 20 minute tutorial but then it just kind of lets you go.

The world is definitely actively hostile, however you can stealth to an extent, but you're gonna likely be combatting around.
  • Many thanks, reg!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    With 4 of us in the house it's been all about local MP.

Our youngest (20) has unlocked all the characters in MKWii I could never do (requiring star ratings on cups) - "Drybones Bowser" is now available. Think she has "Mii costume B" still to go - requiring the same again in mirror mode. It will be done....

Personally I've been MAMEing....instead of finishing off the Gigawing 1CC which is close, I've 1CCed Wardner (a Taito '87 platformer) and been messing about with some other shmups such as DDP and Ketsui.

There's been some Pinball gaming too - Gottleib Classics on Wii  which uses waggle rather well for table bumping, and FX2 on 360 - The Family Guy table is my current crush on that one.

On mobile - Wizard of Oz slots (see the casual thread) , Skill Bingo (I know) and Samurai Aces.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I would reccomend cuphead. A weird and paradoxical game that has a rep of being harder than it is (imo). I think I’m going to write a blog about it if I can be arsed to finish it.

I’m going to write something anyway.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Love the look of Cuphead but its emphasis on boss battles is a bit offputting. I've never really been into boss battles that much. If it was more Metal Slug/Contra I'd be straight in.
  • I mentioned it in the PS4 thread, but Paper Beasts in VR was exactly what I needed to play at the time that I played it.

Something about standing in wide plains, interacting with wild (albeit alien) creatures, really hit a nerve with me - to the point that it's quite hard for me to evaluate the game beyond that emotional reaction to it.

Particularly near the end - which I'll spoiler, but feel like describing for those of you who won't be playing it...  (Again, this is massively spoilery, don't read if you have any intention of playing.)
    Spoiler:
  • davyK wrote:
    Love the look of Cuphead but its emphasis on boss battles is a bit offputting. I've never really been into boss battles that much. If it was more Metal Slug/Contra I'd be straight in.

The boss battles are the best bit of the game! Depending on what you dislike about boss battles I think this game does things that make the act of playing them very enjoyable. For one the bosses don’t require you to do a level before them. For two most should be beatable in about 2mins which means you don’t go too deep into your existence even if you lose it near the end. Finally the game includes enough crutches that if you can’t “get” a boss you can usually find a load out that makes it relatively and noticeably easy.

If these people made a contra game I think I’d be hesitant to reccomend it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If the boss battles aren't overly long then it picques my interest. I've enough on at the minute so it can wait. The game looks gorgeous and I love the soundtrack.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    MS Mahjong then. A really nice game....but it seems to rely on internet connection - having some Virgin BB issues in Belfast and it throws a fit even trying just to play without any daily challenge mode - so fuck that. Can't recommend it. £8 for year I paid. Last time MS will get any money off me for their own stuff game-wise.

I forgot I have Kyodai Mahjong which I bought a decade ago. My account is active - found it by googling- downloaded it, logged into my account and reactivated it. Has an active community still making mods for it - tile sets, music etc. Chilled out gaming when you need it.

For tile matching it's hard to beat - very relaxing version.
  • Mario Odyssey has been dusted off here. Ridiculous game. Simple tasks for the most part but what a ride.
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!