The shitest return
  • In however many years, when we somehow end up at the "psp is retro so let's make bank" stage and a PSP mini type effort comes out with a load of games pre-installed, I'm there day fucking one. Loved that machine.

Well, a man can dream.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Locoroco / Patapon my guys. When I was poor at uni I hacked it and downloaded the shit out of those. Still remember sitting with then girlfriend at the wetherspoons under central station playing Patapon.

• EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think PSP will be one of those formats that will ultimately be diminished by a lot of its formerly exclusive software being available in updated form that don't require looking at a dated screen, having better analogue and shoulder buttons etc.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • The PSP was a game changer for me. The first gaming machine that felt ‘grown up’ – and that was 100% down to the design and build of the thing. It felt like a serious piece of kit, worthy of sitting alongside a Braun radio, Bang & Olufsen hi-fi, and all that jazz. And that screen felt like it had dropped in from the future. It was fucking Blade Runner tech.

I bet it feels really, really normal now. Mobile phones have become so glossy, so perfect, so far ahead.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Blaze just released the Evercade, which has a similar design and screen to the PSP and is marketed as a budget handheld. But while that implies some of the gloss has come off, it says a lot that we're still seeing similar hardware 15 years on.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think you can also look at it in the prism of: Nintendo delayed juggling a HD console and a PSP-tier handheld for a generation compared to Sony and then when they finally did with the 3DS and Wii U, they really struggled with it and had real issues getting software out. So while the PSP catalogue isn't perfect, it doesn't compare that badly to Nintendo's performance in the same circumstances.
  • Didn't play one at the time but I emulated Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins a couple of years ago and it might be the best in the series.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    I think you can also look at it in the prism of: Nintendo delayed juggling a HD console and a PSP-tier handheld for a generation compared to Sony and then when they finally did with the 3DS and Wii U, they really struggled with it and had real issues getting software out. So while the PSP catalogue isn't perfect, it doesn't compare that badly to Nintendo's performance in the same circumstances.
    Yeah looking back it’s easy to see the mistakes. One analog (and rampant piracy) really crippled it. But it was pretty incredible as a device on release.

I got one a few years after release and lost count of the amount of times I was looking at games, thought they looked decent, then realised they had some convoluted control scheme to just even getting around the 3D worlds they’d created and didn’t bother with it.

But the games that worked on that platform really worked. Mainly the smaller, low budget efforts.
  • It also had probably the greatest handheld racing game ever made in Outrun C2C.
  • It also had probably the greatest handheld racing game ever made in WipEout Pure.

• My guys right here dropping knowledge <3

It also had probably the greatest handheld puzzle game ever made in Lumines.

Yes I said it.
  • monkey wrote:
    It also had probably the greatest handheld racing game ever made in Outrun C2C.

Started my career in QA on that, amazing game, great memories of testing multiplayer day after day.
  • Ridge Racer 2, with all the courses from the PS1 games was the best racer on PSP. Sorry.
  • Was gonna say, the both of those games were sublime. Peak of the series imo.
  • Ridge Racer was the launch game that blew everyone’s minds. Those graphics, on that screen.

I just ended up trading it in after WipEout Pure arrived and took over all of my gaming time.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I didn't get Ridge Racer for PSP and now I have FOMO :(
  • Fear of Missing Outrun is the only FOMO that matters.
  • I see what you did there.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I missed Outrun as well [sob].
  • I used to know the names of the three ladies you'd go driving with, what was it, Holly, Jessica and Clarissa? I'd take Holly every time tbh.
  • Outrun 2 was good, but there were better quality home ports available at the time. As nice as it played, I'd always be thinking 'this looks better on Xbox'.

Has it ever been re-released on modern consoles? I'd quite like a blast on Outrun 2.

EDIT: No, seems to be the answer.
  • Don't think so, you can buy a cab for £6k in the deals thread.

It came out on XBLA but not sure when, I doubt it'll resurface due to licensing issues. Would love to play it again too, the competition at Sega QA for time attack Goal A was fierce. This route:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd0zIW4act8

Man such fond memories of that time, I'd just moved to London leaving a car insurance call centre job behind to start on £9k a year as a tester, a single bag of clothes over my shoulder. Didn't know anyone in London so I just did overtime every weekend (got free pizza and had to play test Outrun 2 all day). Sega shut their UK QA department earlier this year, sad to see it go really. A lot of people say they were awful, hire and fire, shit work etc, but I had a blast and it made me in the industry, moving through the QA there to Lead status in a few years got me a job in Production at a tiny indie dev I'm still at, which is now one of the largest devs in the UK (that nobody's ever heard of).

Good times, can still remember some bugs I found, one only occurred on a specific series of Xbox, if you paused at a specific place on the San Fran bridge it'd lock the game (ain't no one fixing that). Also if you nudge into the central barriers in the bunki (between level part) the reflections on the bonnet freeze. Never got fixed.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Every time I was in Tokyo and found a C2C arcade I
    1) had to have a shot
    2) had to send a pic to gav.

They were all shapes and sizes, but shout out to the Odaiba arcade that is now the digital art museum for having 4 cabs linked that all had full sized cars to sit in.
  • I'd give anything for a Switch version. Just imagine, on that screen.
    nick_md wrote:
    Good times, can still remember some bugs I found, one only occurred on a specific series of Xbox, if you paused at a specific place on the San Fran bridge it'd lock the game (ain't no one fixing that). Also if you nudge into the central barriers in the bunki (between level part) the reflections on the bonnet freeze. Never got fixed.

Class. God bless your work, man. I really, really love that game.

So with that, I ask kindly, ANY TAT?!?!
  • I probably have a psp copy somewhere, but other than that, no tat I'm afraid.

I do have an Empire Total War hip flask somewhere, but that's mine :)
  • Could Sega feasibly swap out the Ferrari for a red rad mobile and rerelease it? Is the car/logo the only licensing issue?
  • But if you do that …

Is it Out Run?
  • Serious question, btw. How much of the brand/nostalgia is tied up with it ‘feeling’ right? And does it lose that without the Fezza?
  • Well the Original Out Run has been re-released recently with a red car, so there's no reason 2 can't.

Name a bunch of cars after famous Sega character/level/song names and I'm in!

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Wouldn't bother me at all. It could be a Morris Minor Traveller and I'd be happy as long as it played the same.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!