regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Generally I remember where all my old consoles went. I remember foolishly getting rid of an Aladdin cave worth of SNES games (including a mint secret of mana because eurgh who plays games with talking, I'm 7 years old) for an N64.
    Or even better, trading in my first Wii for funding a Rock Band kit because I wanted to impress a girl.
    My American GameCube went into GForce when we moved back because I wanted to play Halo so that was an Xbox.
    The Xbox became a PS2 because of Metal Gear Solid 3.

Depressingly when I was £1200 into my overdraft at uni (I had no loans) I sold my DS Lite at my parents house in a massive purge of stuff.
    And so on.
    But I genuinely have a black hole in one area. I don't know what happened to my 360 and the dodgy 128gb drive I bought off a redroom candidate (can't mind who). I don't have my 360 anymore and I can't even think about where it went.

Anyone else have any lost causes?

• I’ve sold pretty much nothing. Although I’ve never been much of a collector, so it’s not a massive hoard.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Perhaps missing the point of the thread.
  • I sometimes still think I have a PS3.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I really don’t know what happened to my Dreamcast. It’s either with an ex or I sold it. Thinking the former.

My biggest regret was selling my US SNES to fund my N64. That memory will never be lost. I’ve got SNES online and a SNES mini, but it’s not the same.

But thankfully, due to passing them on to my daughter we still have the N64 and GC, both of which are full speed imports, with all the classic games. Hopefully, they will last the test of time. What’s most amazing is that the step down transformer must be 20+ years old and still going strong.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I wish I had kept stuff, but as a kid my parents were strict on the trade in to fund stuff.
  • I swapped my amiga 500 for a megadrive aged 15. What an idiot.
  • This happens to me a lot with books, music and cars. Not so much with games and consoles. I’m one of those people who traded in old games against new and sold consoles to fund new consoles.
  • In the order I got them/bought them:
    Atari 2600: broken and binned, replaced with a c64.
    C64: Broken and binned. Replaced with a Master System
    Master System: No idea where it went. Replaced with an Amiga.
    Amiga: Still in my mum's loft. STILL WORKS.
    PS1: Left it in a wardrobe in my student flat at the time, having washed my hands of gaming at that point.
    N64: Still got it, in my loft with 4 controllers and a shit load of games. STILL WORKS. Replaced by PS2.
    PS2: Still got it, boxed in my loft and it still works although it sounds like a diesel engine when it gets going.
    Xbox: It's in my loft. Replaced with a 360.
    SNES: Bought off of eBay in a naive attempt to make it my at sons first console. Never used and it remains in the loft with a shed load of games.
    360: Still under the telly.

Gamertag: gremill
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I'd hawk mine to any old cunt who wanted to pay the dollar once I was done
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    In the order I got them/bought them:
    Atari 2600: broken and binned, replaced with a c64.
    C64: Broken and binned. Replaced with a Master System
    Master System: No idea where it went. Replaced with an Amiga.
    Amiga: Still in my mum's loft. STILL WORKS.
    PS1: Left it in a wardrobe in my student flat at the time, having washed my hands of gaming at that point.
    N64: Still got it, in my loft with 4 controllers and a shit load of games. STILL WORKS. Replaced by PS2.
    PS2: Still got it, boxed in my loft and it still works although it sounds like a diesel engine when it gets going.
    Xbox: It's in my loft. Replaced with a 360.
    SNES: Bought off of eBay in a naive attempt to make it my at sons first console. Never used and it remains in the loft with a shed load of games.
    360: Still under the telly.

How do you know?? Hope you don’t send her up to check it once a month!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I sold my first 2600 and games in the mid 80s to part-fund getting an 8 bit micro.

The regret still hurts - rarely part with anything since. Have since bought another one but getting boxed games is an unlikely quest.

My Oric-1 died. Shit for games but I coded in it for hours in BASIC and taught myself 6502 assembler on it. I binned my CPC464 with few regrets - the main one being dumping the tapes I used with it which held a rather nice poker machine game I coded for it. It had blackjack and high-low bonus mini games built into it and I did the card graphics myself by redefining the character set to create the suit symbols and court cards. There are folk online now who take tapes and turn the contents into ROMs for emulators - would have been nice to see it running again. :(

I gave my NES to my sister (who had a real SMB thing) when I got NESTERdc running - but she gave it back to me years later. The cart connector was playing up so I dumped it and sold the games to chillout games (which I probably shouldn't have done but sod it - they were PAL games though I twinge when I think of the boxed copy of Dropzone I had).

I'd probably like some sort of NES/Famicom console if it came with decent connector - the NES mini is probably where I should go.

Had a spare Megadrive (a model 2) which I sold to chillout in my big clearout a few years ago.

I fried my original SNES messing about with a mod cart and a PAL Saturn died on me, but everything else is still going.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    These are wonderful stories, but I'm really more after when a console disappeared and you didn't know where? Aka a mad seller or not a trade in
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    What’s most amazing is that the step down transformer must be 20+ years old and still going strong.

Transformers are robust - they are basically a metal core with wire wrapped around it so there is little to go wrong.

All my power supplies are still original.

My refurbed Asteroids Deluxe cabinet (1980) still has the original transformer - though its power supply that sits between it and the circuitry is all new - That's basically a set of capacitors that deliver different voltages to the different parts of the cabinet so they usually don't do their job so well after 40 years!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:
    What’s most amazing is that the step down transformer must be 20+ years old and still going strong.

Transformers are robust - they are basically a metal core with wire wrapped around it so there is little to go wrong.

All my power supplies are still original.

My refurbed Asteroids Deluxe cabinet (1980) still has the original transformer - though its power supply that sits between it and the circuitry is all new - That's basically a set of capacitors that deliver different voltages to the different parts of the cabinet so they usually don't do their job so well after 40 years!

I bought a transformer for my USA GameCube when we moved home. It still works and is doing the job 18 years later.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    These are wonderful stories, but I'm really more after when a console disappeared and you didn't know where? Aka a mad seller or not a trade in

Not a console tale - but my copy of Melee went missing.

Just couldn't find it - until I bought a replacement copy. Found it down behind a radiator. My young daughters were playing "shop" and had the copy of Melee on display cellotaped to the wall...when it came off the wall and fell behind the radiator they forgot about it - or so they say :)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:

Not a console tale - but my copy of Melee went missing.

Just couldn't find it - until I bought a replacement copy. Found it down behind a radiator. My young daughters were playing "shop" and had the copy of Melee on display cellotaped to the wall...when it came off the wall and fell behind the radiator they forgot about it - or so they say :)

Terrible tale. Fits in here perfectly
  • There’s a gameboy advance with six or seven games somewhere in my parents house. It’s not where I left it. I suspect the loft but they do everything they can to keep me out of there. They buy a ludicrous amount of cheap tat in sales (“80% off this thing I’d never have bought at this price anyway. What a steal!”) and I think a lot of it gets rammed straight up there. The SNES, Megadrive and Amiga stuff got fucked up in a garage flood. Luckily the game gear was saved!

Everything apart from that I’ve sold on or chucked when the time came.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Melee still worked btw - I reckoned several months behind a radiator wouldn't have done it any good with the variance in temperature.
  • I lent my GP2X Caanoo to a mate while he was getting rolled into a Wonka de-juicing machine for alcoholism. He reckons it came out of hospital with him but it's officially in the black hole now, that was 2013ish iirc.
  • I lost the metal Street Fighter 2 badge I got with an SF2 SNES Special edition that came in a beautiful tin box. Gutted.

Sold my Panasonic Game-Q which I always wish I hadn’t but always would have done as I’m just not a collector and always wanna fund new things.
  • Used to have to operate a "shared ownership" type deal with my bastard of a little brother, so games and consoles were basically for both of us rather than just the one. It meant that, as teenagers, I would often find favourite games had been mysteriously "loaned" to or borrowed by his stupid dosspot pals, and surprise surprise never found their way back to us. This included such hard to find Gamecube classics as Chibi Robo, MGS: Twin Snakes, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Phantasy Star Online Ep I & II, Pikmin 2, Viewtiful Joe 1 & 2, etc etc. 

This also happened with shit like pads, whole consoles (my beloved GB Colour vanished, and my even more beloved N64, the first console we ever owned, came back broken from some sleepover he'd been at), and even memory cards- both my PS2 cards with years worth of save data across a ton of games vanished without a trace, and I can pin that as the moment I basically stopped playing the console due to the sheer crushing heartbreak of it. 

This was still happening up until a few months ago, when I went to reclaim a load of Saturn games I had let him borrow to cheer him up when he broke his leg. What I got back was a stack of boxes, every one of which was empty- turns out he'd been keeping the discs in a wallet and had no idea where they had gone or who had taken them. This included a mint (mint!) copy of Guardian Heroes. Every time I think about this it makes me unfathomably angry.
  • Fuckin hell, Kaz. That's "never speak to again" levels, that.

Me? My iPod Classic 160Gb. That was the one where Apple nailed it, their peak of music player design, and I had it full with basically everything I had liked since birth. The macbook I used iTunes for was left in my ex's flat in Dundee and never retrieved, and the iPod was just lost at a party I think. I wish I still had them. Sigh.
  • I have no idea where my Gamecube copies of Viewtiful Joe or Skies of Arcadia went. I suspect, with no evidence, that my sisters boyfriend at the time nicked them because they had reasonable resale values. I'm probably giving him too much credit for being able to pick that out though.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Got both of those but I promise it had nothing to do with me!!
  • An ex-flatmate nicked a load of PS1 games off me when he went.

Luckily he had zero idea what was actually worth stealing and waltzed off with a load of cheap platinum games and assorted ten-a-penny trash, leaving things that were actually valuable like X-Men vs Streetfighter and my jap copy of Jumping Flash 3 on the shelf.

EDIT: I've no idea if JF3 was worth anything but it turned out XvSf was
  • I lost my original cart of Goldeneye 007 sometime in 1999.

When straight to EB and picked up a lose cart and then spent the whole weekend unlocking everything again with a couple of friends.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I swapped a mate Turok cart only for fully boxed Diddy Kong racing as a loan.
    He tunred into a dick and I never saw him again.

Now he is Associate Director of Jane's Terrorism and Insergency Centre.

So who is the real winner?
    WUHAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY
  • Oh shit, we had paperboy on the nes, swapped for Mario 2. Never swapped back for same reason. Paperboy was shit, Mario 2 was marginally less shit.
  • During the PS1 era I did a lot of trade ins to supplement new game purchases. 
    10 years or so back I got rid of my entire PS2 collection as it was taking up too much space. 
    When my 360 broke I sold/gave away all games for that to help fund the PS4. 
    And probably most recently, I sold my Wii U and a load of 3DS games that I hardly played, to pay for some Switch games. 

But i've kept NES, Gameboy, GBA, SNES, N64, Gamecube, PS1 and Wii (not many) largely intact (consoles and all) and they are all kept at my Nans house. Although it really bugs me that I have all my GBA carts at my house when I have no idea where the boxes are... but i'm sure I have them all in very good condition... somewhere.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Used to swap 2600 games with cousins - though that always worked out OK. Cart only - I always kept the box and manual - those carts are pretty much bullet proof.

I once lent Geometry Wars Galaxies to the son of a friend. Never got it back. Bought a replacement new one for £5 when one could do things like that and wrote it off.

Never ever lend anything I care about now.

What I did do was give CIB SNES Sunset Riders and Kirby Super Star and a pile of boxed NES games to my nephews and nieces in a fit of madness. I have no doubt the boxes and manuals were instantaneously disposed of.

One of those nephews has since become more careful and as anal as I am about stuff. I gifted him my complete CIB Gamecube Resident Evil collection and Eternal Darkness one Christmas as I know he will look after them.
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!