The Racing Thread of Burnin' Rubber and Being Awesome!
  • I_R wrote:

Probably my favourite multiplayer arcade racer this gen.

• Indeed it was..

Ah.. I remember buying it day one and raving about the multiplayer.. hell I remember downloading the beta and raving about the multiplayer.

I also remember many happy forum nights long after BC had gone the way of the brown cord flair.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    It was shit.

It was fun in a Smash Bros. way but there was no racing.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    It was shit. It was fun in a Smash Bros. way but there was no racing.
    Burn the witch!!  It is great, I feel a slight tinge of guilt for going with S/S, but in the end it did nothing for both Bizarre and Black Rock.  I see the same happening with the ill scheduling of MFS:MW and Horizon, albeit with less tragic results.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Indeed Webbins.

It was a great multiplayer experience.. it wasn't Forza but then we have Forza for that. The opportunity to race, fire weapons and generally have a hoot was a great reciepe
    The Forum Herald™
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Indeed. Years after the 360 is but a distant memory, it will be one of the games I will always own.
  • Is it mostly multiplayer? I picked up S/S a few weeks ago. Initial play wasn't bad, hard to see the 'track' at times, though.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    No, there's a single player campaign as well. I played through it all.
  • Blur SP was great, very well done. Different challenges and objectives to hit which kept it interesting. Really like Blur and still bang it on every now and then.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • A great game, doomed to failure. They were never selling such an undisguised arcade racer to the masses these days. It's sad that the only influence that one of this generation's classic racers will have is that it's warned other developers off trying anything remotely similar.
  • I remember going to buy it on launch day. I returned empty-handed due to the £49.99 price tag in both Game and HMV. I then completely forgot about it and only bought it when Bob started singing its praises. Many happy hours racing* resulted. Cheers Bob.

*Yeah, I said it Mod.
  • No problem.. For me it was the perfect multiplayer game for either a serious session or a boozy banter session.. I think I only moved on after prestiging the fourth time.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Skondo wrote:
    Many happy hours racing* resulted.
    *Yeah, I said it Mod.

Why does Mod think there's no (or little) racing in there?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Because there isn't. It's like being the ball in a pinball machine. Every time you think you have a corner nailed DING DING DING MULTIBALL!

That and every time I played the people with the highest unlocked cars/perks won. And people moan about CoD giving higher ranks/grinders an advantage.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Shit.
  • Oh right. Hmmm. I'll read up more on it before I consider a (future) purchase. I'll play more S/S in the meantime.
  • I don't think the cars made a difference, at my sort of middling ability the perk that let you drop pick ups as mines was a bit unfair, but was so evil that it's hard to complain about. Being great at it really was all about knowing the line round the course, knowing what to pick up and being able to counter the lightning.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Don't not play it on my say so. Hell, if you PM your address you can have my copy (360). Be warned, it always takes me ages to get to the post office.
  • It reminds me how much I hate Mariokart "races". It's less about the racing lines and speeding away, and more about getting powerups to hit someone and frustrate them. Stupid. Some may enjoy it, but I didn't.

I think I read somewhere that Blur was trying to me Mariokart for a "mature" audience (cos Ninty games are obviously for kids, right everyone?!). If that's a reference to MK's style of GP races, forget it. But I tend to spend most time in time trials anyway.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Oh right. Hmmm. I'll read up more on it before I consider a (future) purchase. I'll play more S/S in the meantime.
    I don't even know if there 's anyone still playing, it's been months since the forum regulars played and even then it had settled down to a small and kind of hard core rump.
  • I'm with mod on this one. It's good, nothing more or less.

Every time I seen this thread get updated, I somehow begin to tell myself that's it's because a demo for NFS:MW has been announced, but no.
  • Need For Speed: Modern Warfare???

EDIT: Oh, Most Wanted. Right.
  • Been trying Richard Burns Rally with all its mods.

I'm pretty sure driving the real thing would be easier!

Humbling.
  • Richard Burns is actually a very basic physics engine pretending to be something it's not. People rave about its' realism but the real thing IS easier. It feels like you're using slick tyres on WD40 on every stage. Much like Ferrari 355 CHallenge which is the best Ferrari-on-ice game I've ever played.

I used to be on a forum with some coders from, I think, SimBin, as well as Martin Kenwright of Evolution Studios, and both said that RBR was nowhere near as advanced as players, and the devs, made out. Underneath, it used Warthog's old Rally Championship engine with the tyre grip turned right down.
  • I can believe that except it has been heavily modded since. I know the cars have different physics now and possibly the game engine has been tweaked as well.  It's the RBR2012 mod if you are interested.

I'm going to keep my eyes open for WRC3 as the PS3 demo seemed pretty good.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Because there isn't. It's like being the ball in a pinball machine. Every time you think you have a corner nailed DING DING DING MULTIBALL! That and every time I played the people with the highest unlocked cars/perks won. And people moan about CoD giving higher ranks/grinders an advantage.

Well at the start maybe a bit .. but then the first corner pile up is every online racers thing.

It was possible to win races with no perks at all against level 50 people.. not easy but possible and always possible to get a podium.

Course knowledge and the right car for the right track was the secret.

The balancing was pretty good. If you where good it was possible to get clean away.

You probably didn't play enough.
    The Forum Herald™
  • The tiny population did make it a hard game to jump in to. You could be racing against the best player in the world on your fist go. You did need to accept that your objective was not to come last at times.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    My favourite thing about Blur is that coming 4th, 5th, 6th whatever can be as exciting and fulfilling as coming 1st. A few carefully used power ups to sneak past a few people, after everything pointed to you coming last, was always a great feeling.
  • Streaking away and winning by a margin was never fun anyway, that is to be had further back where packs of you scrabble for the minor places.

Edit - wot Pea sed.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!